Does getting fired from a job have any effect on getting hired for Subway Conductor

CR8094

I just called for pre-interview for conductor on May 22nd. I got fired from CVS/pharmacy for threatning to punch a manager in the face. This happen back in 2007 and i've been unemployed ever since. I got 99 weeks of unemployment, I've also been in school full time since 2010, been getting food stamps, ect. Anyway, I'm concerned that the MTA won't hire me because of this? Or what if I try to hide this info from them, would they find out? Another thing, it states on the letter that they do a credit check. Why a credit check to work as a conductor? I don't understand that. I have bad credit right now, is that also a factor in not getting hired? I'm very concerned about these things

I just called for pre-interview for conductor on May 22nd. I got fired from CVS/pharmacy for threatning to punch a manager in the face. This happen back in 2007 and i've been unemployed ever since. I got 99 weeks of unemployment, I've also been in school full time since 2010, been getting food stamps, ect. Anyway, I'm concerned that the MTA won't hire me because of this? Or what if I try to hide this info from them, would they find out? Another thing, it states on the letter that they do a credit check. Why a credit check to work as a conductor? I don't understand that. I have bad credit right now, is that also a factor in not getting hired? I'm very concerned about these things

don`t lie tell them the truth because they do a back ground check ur best bet is just be honest don`t hide anything they will find out if they find out something u didn`t tell em then ur done

LOL.... Many companies do credit checks as a way of seeing what type of individual you are... If you're reckless with your credit, it may be a sign that you're irresponsible in other areas... Maybe you're late with your credit card payments, and maybe they'll make a correlation that you'll be late to work (which is definitely a big no no with the (MTA)), etc.  It's a relatively new phenomenon but one that has gained popularity over the years, with more companies doing it.

As for your "activity" as a CVS employee, what I will say is you better have your attitude in check if you want to work anywhere, let alone with the (MTA), because the one thing they don't like is a "liability" and they will keep a folder on you should you manage to get hired by them.  If they find numerous complaints with you having altercations with either your co-workers or the general public, they will terminate you and argue that you're too much of a risk to keep around.  You're cheaper to replace as opposed to having to pay out a lawsuit or draw any other negative attention.

Your second sentence in the post is a red flag. Whatever the circumstance was in the incident why would we (MTA) take a chance on you perhaps having attitude problems toward co-workers ? IDK your age when this happened but there appears to be a big gap in your employment history and they will want to know why. DO NOT try to hide this incident. The credit check is now a part of any employment process. Simply put, why should our payroll department have to do extra work if your wages are subject to be garnisheed?

Your second sentence in the post is a red flag. Whatever the circumstance was in the incident why would we (MTA) take a chance on you perhaps having attitude problems toward co-workers ? IDK your age when this happened but there appears to be a big gap in your employment history and they will want to know why. DO NOT try to hide this incident. The credit check is now a part of any employment process. Simply put, why should our payroll department have to do extra work if your wages are subject to be garnisheed?

Not just that but it also speaks to his overall character... Some people think it's f*cked up but if you've got nothing to hide, then it shouldn't be a big deal.  It's another layer of determining whether an individual can cut it overall with the workforce being so competitive these days.  Now of course just because someone has great credit doesn't mean that they'll be a great employee, but the thinking is that a credit report is pretty black and white.  You can get any Joe Schmoe to lie for you about how you were at your last job but the credit report is pretty objective.

Hell if anything you need good credit to rent or buy an apartment or get anything on credit, so either way for work or personal purposes, you should have good credit.

I'm about to turn 26 years old on May 23rd, actually the day after the pre-interview. The altercation with the CVS assistant manager was because she was always giving me a really bad attitude for no apparent reason and one day I just got fed up with it and I coulnd't put up with it anymore. I was only 20 years old back then so I was still sort of immature. Big reason for the gap in unemployment was because I got 99 weeks of unemployment, I was focusing 100% in school, and I was having a hard time finding a job because of I got I fired from CVS due to the altercation with a supervisor and no employer wanted to hire me becuase of it.

About the credit, its not really that I have bad credit actually, its that I have no credit history. Is this still a problem with getting hired?

I'm about to turn 26 years old on May 23rd, actually the day after the pre-interview. The altercation with the CVS assistant manager was because she was always giving me a really bad attitude for no apparent reason and one day I just got fed up with it and I coulnd't put up with it anymore. I was only 20 years old back then so I was still sort of immature. Big reason for the gap in unemployment was because I got 99 weeks of unemployment, I was focusing 100% in school, and I was having a hard time finding a job because of I got I fired from CVS due to the altercation with a supervisor and no employer wanted to hire me becuase of it.

About the credit, its not really that I have bad credit actually, its that I have no credit history. Is this still a problem with getting hired?

lol... No credit history can be just as bad as bad credit... You have no job so no one is going to be willing to give you credit very easily because you have no financial means to do so.  You need to see if someone with good credit (a parent maybe) will put you on their credit report and help you build your own credit that way.  In other words, their credit will be your credit.  Also, that CVS incident is going to haunt you, whether you were immature or not at the time.  You NEVER result or even consider physical violence no matter how irritated you are.  You would've been better off quitting. 

I don't know what to tell you about getting hired because that is like a scarlet letter that will not be easy to get rid of.  You're going to have to hope that someone is willing to take chance on you because you were immature at the time.  If anything I would be going to job fairs and trying to get tips and seeing if you can get hired that way if you can't get anything with the (MTA).

Wow all this got me really worried, I really hope the MTA doesn't care about this and they'll hire me. I really want this job, it pays really good. Plus its time for me to get back to work and no depend on my father anymore for financial support. About the credit check, I'll consider getting into my dad's credit thing, he has excellent credit.

Also, another question, do you know what happens at the pre-interview, what shoud I expect? Is this a medical exam? Also, if anything comes out wrong in the medical, they won't hire the person? I'm totally healthy and I have no known medical issues, but I'm just curious about this

Wow all this got me really worried, I really hope the MTA doesn't care about this and they'll hire me. I really want this job, it pays really good. Plus its time for me to get back to work and no depend on my father anymore for financial support. About the credit check, I'll consider getting into my dad's credit thing, he has excellent credit.

Also, another question, do you know what happens at the pre-interview, what shoud I expect? Is this a medical exam? Also, if anything comes out wrong in the medical, they won't hire the person? I'm totally healthy and I have no known medical issues, but I'm just curious about this

lol... If you even get as far, yes, there is a medical because again, it's all about how much of a liability you are and if you have any sort of medical issues that can put others at risk, then yes you will not be considered and if you are hired and found to have medical issues later, you can be indeed terminated if your medical issues put you at risk for putting the public at risk.

About the (MTA) not caring, fat chance... I'm not saying that you won't be hired, but there is also the chance that you may not be because of your past, so you need to prepare for such a situation.  At 26 you need to start working and making your own money so you can gain some independence and experience. You need to be going to job fairs because you lack work experience.  If your last job was at CVS when you were 20 you haven't had enough experience to learn much of anything about how things work in the professional world.

Also, you claim that you were attending college for a while. If so, then you should be in communication with your college about job prospects as in speaking with the resource center if there is one.  Don't go there asking for a job, but you have to put it in such a way as if they can help you with your CV and potential prospects to give yourself a chance. They can give you pointers and do's and don'ts and so on which you definitely need seeing how you haven't been working for so long.  If they're good enough, they may have some connections for you but you need to make sure that more importantly your attitude and temper is in check so that you don't risk burning any bridges... 

Honestly just reading what you wrote just go in with a open mind . Like others had said this incident could haunt you. It's one thing to get fired, its another because of threatening someone. All MTA agencies have zero policy towards that.

I think you'll likely end up being fine. Just showing a willingness not to lie about it is a plus in your favor but what's not being mentioned is that during your time of unemployment you spent the time constructively by attending school.

However, I will say this. Hopefully the CVS stuff is behind you and you are moving into a new area of maturity in your life. That's what it takes to keep this job as a C/R because people are going to destroy your patience. Not test it but destroy it. You have to be able to deal with that constructively.

Via Garibaldi 8, thanks so much for the advice. I appreciate it and I will look into the things you told me, especially if the MTA doesn't hire me. And I don't have an attitude problem, thing is that my patience was exhausted with that manager because she always kept giving me and some (not all) of my other co-workers an attitude which is being two-faced on her part since she wasn't like that with everyone. I just that the MTA supervisors aren't like her in the event I do get hired which I hope

Via Garibaldi 8, thanks so much for the advice. I appreciate it and I will look into the things you told me, especially if the MTA doesn't hire me. And I don't have an attitude problem, thing is that my patience was exhausted with that manager because she always kept giving me and some (not all) of my other co-workers an attitude which is being two-faced on her part since she wasn't like that with everyone. I just that the MTA supervisors aren't like her in the event I do get hired which I hope

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about... You've got to be able to keep your cool... That doesn't mean you let people walk over you but you're going to meet @ssholes in the professional world that are going to test you, including your boss. Some people luck out and get cool bosses, but many don't so it's all about learning how to move so that you've got a paycheck at the end of the day.

I interned twice with the (MTA) and didn't have any issues but that was in the office. In the field it's a bit more trying...

I would try to sell myself as having been out of the workforce first and foremost because I wanted to advance myself and further my education since that's what you did.

Don't assume that ,if hired you will meet a cast of characters whether its bosses, work mates or passengers that will make her look like little league. Working in this business you really need a level head.

I interned twice with the  (MTA) and didn't have any issues but that was in the office. In the field it's a bit more trying...

Understatement...

You a "sensitive" person whose feelings can get hurt or cannot block out dumb chit(Passengers or other workers Bosses included).

Yer gonna have issues...

Just saying.

Put that Pen to Paper(Writing people up) to stop the nonsense trust me it can work.

If it were me I would be honest. NYCT willfully and knowingly hire felons. I can't see them holding this against you when they hire people that did time in prison. Good luck.

I don't think anyone knows for sure wether transit runs a credit check on you. However you can probably bet on it. If it does affect your hiring process and they wanna take action then you'll probably just be 1-3'd. I doubt they'll call you up have you fill out paperwork and then disqualify you for having little or bad credit. This society expects you to repeatedly get slapped, punched and spat on all your life and keep asking for more (especially in transit). Don't lie about anything and you'll get through it. Hell I was close to piledriving a supervisor once then maybe follow up with a guillotine choke hold, but of course I just let him get away with it because I knew it would haunt me. This is how it is for most people.

Sent from my LG-MS840 using Tapatalk 2

Archived