Does getting fired from a past job a factor in not getting hired by the MTA?

CR8094

I just called for pre-interview for conductor for May 22nd. I got fired from CVS/pharmacy for threatning to punch a manager in the face. This happen back in 2007 and i've been unemployed ever since. I got 99 weeks of unemployment, I've also been in school full time since 2010, been getting food stamps, ect. Anyway, I'm concerned that the MTA won't hire me because of this? Or what if I try to hide this info from them, would they find out? Another thing, it states on the letter that they do a credit check. Why a credit check to work as a conductor? I don't understand that. I have bad credit right now, is that also a factor in not getting hired? I'm very concerned about these things

I'm about to turn 26 years old on May 23rd, actually the day after the pre-interview. The altercation with the CVS assistant manager was because she was always giving me a really bad attitude for no apparent reason and one day I just got fed up with it and I coulnd't put up with it anymore. I was only 20 years old back then so I was still sort of immature. Big reason for the gap in unemployment was because I got 99 weeks of unemployment, I was focusing 100% in school, and I was having a hard time finding a job because of I got I fired from CVS due to the altercation with a supervisor and no employer wanted to hire me becuase of it.

About the credit, its not really that I have bad credit actually, its that I have no credit history. Is this still a problem with getting hired?

I really want this job, I waited 4 and a half years for it. My list # is 1162. I haven't worked for nearly 6 years and I've been dependent on my father. It's time for me to get a job and have my own money, I'm getting older and I don't know when I'm a be able to find a job. Jobs are so scarce nowadays and with this problem I had with CVS, its been nearly impossible for an employer to hire me. I've been looking for jobs for quite awhile now

I just called for pre-interview for conductor for May 22nd. I got fired from CVS/pharmacy for threatning to punch a manager in the face. This happen back in 2007 and i've been unemployed ever since. I got 99 weeks of unemployment, I've also been in school full time since 2010, been getting food stamps, ect. Anyway, I'm concerned that the MTA won't hire me because of this? Or what if I try to hide this info from them, would they find out? Another thing, it states on the letter that they do a credit check. Why a credit check to work as a conductor? I don't understand that. I have bad credit right now, is that also a factor in not getting hired? I'm very concerned about these things

I'm about to turn 26 years old on May 23rd, actually the day after the pre-interview. The altercation with the CVS assistant manager was because she was always giving me a really bad attitude for no apparent reason and one day I just got fed up with it and I coulnd't put up with it anymore. I was only 20 years old back then so I was still sort of immature. Big reason for the gap in unemployment was because I got 99 weeks of unemployment, I was focusing 100% in school, and I was having a hard time finding a job because of I got I fired from CVS due to the altercation with a supervisor and no employer wanted to hire me becuase of it.

About the credit, its not really that I have bad credit actually, its that I have no credit history. Is this still a problem with getting hired?

I really want this job, I waited 4 and a half years for it. My list # is 1162. I haven't worked for nearly 6 years and I've been dependent on my father. It's time for me to get a job and have my own money, I'm getting older and I don't know when I'm a be able to find a job. Jobs are so scarce nowadays and with this problem I had with CVS, its been nearly impossible for an employer to hire me. I've been looking for jobs for quite awhile now

never lie tell them the truth everything because they do a back ground check they will find out if u lied or not tell them everything if u tell them the truth ur fine but if u lie ur out.

Man i can respect that u being real. i say the same why you confessed about your employment history i say be as real as you 

I def respect you for keeping it all the way real it takes a lots of guts. Much Respect. i work for amtrak  but i look on here too for info on jobs i apply for. also look into Amtrak.com there hiring for conductors, Trackmen, Carmens everything.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got recently hired into NJ Transit. They definitely called my previous employers. Your story doesn't look good. If you punched a supervisor, I would be thinking what would do you with lots of transit passengers/customers, most of whom will be normal, but quite a few will be very annoying. In addition being unemployed that long will not look good either. 

I think the truth will get your application binned. 

This is an interesting online discussion where lots of hiring managers tell about their hiring processes, what their companies are looking for, etc.:

" rel="external nofollow">

HR/Hiring Managers (larger firms) of reddit: What are the dirty secrets of online job applications?

Unfortunately the gist seems that every company is different, and wants and expects different things, however they don't expect punching supervisors or being out of work for over five years.

Archived