R62s vs. R62As

R32sdabest

I would choose the Kawasaki cars, they are faster and have some characteristics of older trains, such as they Blink on 3rd Rail gaps. I find the R62A to be pretty slow compared to other fleets.

The (1) was the first and so far only A division route I've ridden, so as far as nostalgia goes the R62As win. I never really cared much for the R62s, even though they are virtually the same thing - in fact, I have a weird way of telling apart the R62s and R62As just by their bulkheads, when in reality there is no difference. I'm a weird guy like that, lol

I Prefer the R62s...I live on the 1 line and take the 3 at 96 st to work often and vice versa...I Love the "Bucking" that it Does...Classic New York Subway Shyt...Especially Comin Downtown between 96-72. The High Speed and Buckin Combined makes for an Intrestin if Bumpy Ride And Of course the Flickerin Lights is Coo as hell since you hardly see it anymore...I remember them when they Ran on the 4 Line way back when...Those runs up and Down Lex Were the Best. Besides the Long Gone redbirds

That stretch was so odd when I first did the school car operation down there. I was like with these [back and forth] curves, I'm allowed to go this fast? And no timers?

Funny in contrast to how they slow down much of the relatively straight IND.

West side IRT might well be the best end to end express run in the system.

From an operational standpoint:

R-62's are much more likely to buck, and have a much heavier brake. In the wrong hands they can be torture - "fanning the brakes" creates an especially rough ride as these cars are very unforgiving for that. Their brakes also tend to be slow releasing, and slower applying.

R-62A's give a much smoother ride, but the brake isn't quite as strong, although it's much smoother. Brake response is instantaneous - when you grab brake, you get it, and when you release, it's gone.

With both, each and every trainset is slightly different and requires minor adjustments to operation to provide the best possible ride. Both have good get up and go, however that's determined more by the trainset than the car class.

The (1) was the first and so far only A division route I've ridden, so as far as nostalgia goes the R62As win. I never really cared much for the R62s, even though they are virtually the same thing - in fact, I have a weird way of telling apart the R62s and R62As just by their bulkheads, when in reality there is no difference. I'm a weird guy like that, lol

The Easiest way to defrenciate the R62 from the R62A is the R62 has a redbird propulsion and on top of the doors to walk between cars on the R62 it says kawasaki on it.

I had the opportunity to operate the R62 and R62A cars when they were brand new and I found the 62A to be more comfortable ,at least to me. The Kawasaki R62 was "supposedly" the better built car and, after testing, it was assigned to the (4) line to showcase it while the R62A was relegated to the (6), (1), and finally the (3) line which is where I first operated it in road service. I'd operated non-revenue R62s and R62As around the system when they were being delivered but my first R62A trip in passenger service was s/b from Lenox Terminal to BK. When I left 96th St and flew down 7th Ave toward 72nd and then Times Square I was in heaven. When I hit the curve at Houston St heading toward Chambers St my mind was made up. The R62A was a better operational car than the R62 IMO. This was before all the cars were slowed down throughout the system. The 62As took off quicker from a standstill because the Kawasaki R62s had slower releasing brakes back then (listen to the squeal) and IRT Kawasakis had a habit of bucking at take-off, even when they were brand new. To this day that's why I like the R62A and R142 cars over their Kawaski counterparts. That's my opinion though and other T/Os have their own. Carry on.

The Easiest way to defrenciate the R62 from the R62A is the R62 has a redbird propulsion and on top of the doors to walk between cars on the R62 it says kawasaki on it.

While true their main differences are mechanical, there are other ways to distinguish:

-R62's have exterior speakers, R62A's don't.

-The door threshold plates are different also. The R62A has one with a standard "diamond plate" pattern on it, while the R62's has a smoother grainy texture to it.

-And yes, if need be, you can go by builder's plates.

While true their main differences are mechanical, there are other ways to distinguish:

-R62's have exterior speakers, R62A's don't.

-The door threshold plates are different also. The R62A has one with a standard "diamond plate" pattern on it, while the R62's has a smoother grainy texture to it.

-And yes, if need be, you can go by builder's plates.

2009 does, I guess as a test. Makes you wonder why they didn't do the others...

If you think about it, the R62 & R62A are basically the same thing, just different specifications.

Like R68 and R68A?

And R160 and R160A?   etc....

And if you go way back....R1 thru R9 were all more or less the same.....right? :)

Well, my bulkhead strategy works too... 99% of the time a car I 'identify' as an R62 is in fact an R62. Same with R62As.

Again, I'm a weird guy :lol::lol::lol:

Well, my bulkhead strategy works too... 99% of the time a car I 'identify' as an R62 is in fact an R62. Same with R62As.

Again, I'm a weird guy :lol::lol::lol:

We all have different ways of defrenciating them both lol.

Archived