BxM2 via Inwood

YankeesPwnMets

My question is... why does the BxM2 go via Inwood and the Harlem River Drive instead of the Major Deegan and RFK like the way its listed on the map?? When I go to my friend's house in Riverdale, I usually take the 3:44 PM bus back into Manhattan at Kappock St and Johnson Av, and my driver always goes via Inwood and down the Harlem River Drive and multiple times we've been jammed on that road while I see the Deegan across the river blowing by us... it drives me nuts.  I also thought that the BusTime thing no longer allowed for drivers to go off course without consent... or am I wrong (still a bit unclear about that) :P

Another question is why do the drivers get off the Harlem River Drive at 143 & 5 Av? Why not get off at 125 St? There are no BxM2 stops until 98 st anyways...

My question is... why does the BxM2 go via Inwood and the Harlem River Drive instead of the Major Deegan and RFK like the way its listed on the map?? When I go to my friend's house in Riverdale, I usually take the 3:44 PM bus back into Manhattan at Kappock St and Johnson Av, and my driver always goes via Inwood and down the Harlem River Drive and multiple times we've been jammed on that road while I see the Deegan across the river blowing by us... it drives me nuts.  I also thought that the BusTime thing no longer allowed for drivers to go off course without consent... or am I wrong (still a bit unclear about that) :P

Another question is why do the drivers get off the Harlem River Drive at 143 & 5 Av? Why not get off at 125 St? There are no BxM2 stops until 98 st anyways...

One... Sometimes the Deegan gets SLAMMED and I mean SLAMMED... Once coming back on a late BxM2, we were stuck on the Major Deegan for over an hour and this was late on a Sunday night which was unbelievable, but apparently due to some road work which I found hard to believe that the B/O didn't know about.  He just sat there like he had no care in the world when he could've went via Inwood and saved us the two hour commute.  And to top it off he didn't have the decency to greet passengers that wished him a good night.  Arrogant prick...

Anywho, I took the BxM2 today and we were stuck in traffic on the Deegan probably because of Mother's Day.  In your case you may have been unlucky because usually going via Inwood and via the Harlem River Drive on the weekends is the backup option when the Major Deegan is a mess and if they do a run and notice the Deegan is a mess, they will usually avoid it doing the next trip so that they can try to keep on schedule.  I was thinking of taking the BxM1 but decided I wanted to take a longer shower, so I took the BxM2 instead.  I regretted it too because I was thinking it would be as fast as the BxM1 on weekends going to the city but I forgot that it can get caught in traffic when you get past 50th... The BxM1 can fly down Lex on the weekends with no traffic as the stops requested are usually few and far in between once you hit the big ones like 86th, 79th etc. Going back to Riverdale on the BxM2 however is usually faster than the BxM1 since the BxM1 has to stop in Inwood on weekends.

As for the Bus Time situation, that seems to be up in the air.  A lot of the old timers do as they please and some hold to the friggin' route like their life is on the line which drives me nuts because they should be able to go whatever way is quickest rather than have us sit in friggin' traffic.  There is a BxM1 driver that does this sh*t and it drives me nuts! Instead of getting off by 143rd and 5th to get around the traffic, he sits in it on the Harlem River Drive until 125th.  We sat there for 20 minutes the other morning a few weeks ago when he could've avoided all of that and I've made a point not to take his bus again until they change drivers for that particular run because it takes him over a friggin' hour or more just to get to 96th street.

That bus used to carry a decent load too, but ever since he's started driving no one takes it now and I see why because it takes way too long. Nice guy, but he needs to be more aggressive with his driving.  I mean really, he takes no friggin' initiative to keep the damn bus moving and that's what we're taking the express for to get moving, not sit behind people when you can make a move into an empty lane. <_< In fact I was so irritated that I wrote in with the suggestion that B/O's should not be forced to stick to the route outlined on Bus Time for the Riverdale routes. That's why most of them get off because there is a bottle neck below 143rd usually and you crawl to get to 125th.  Plus going down 5th in that area can be much quicker if you can get around that park there with the numerous turns quickly.

I actually HATE that stupid routing on Bus Time... The smart B/O's just take the Deegan down to that bridge that leaves you over by 5th in the 130s and then continues on 5th from there.  Doing that whole meandering and then the RFK Bridge thing is so ridiculous and tedious and then making your way over on 106th to 5th with the stupid lights. I don't know who at the (MTA) came up with the routing but it is very indirect.  

One... Sometimes the Deegan gets SLAMMED and I mean SLAMMED... Once coming back on a late BxM2, we were stuck on the Major Deegan for over an hour and this was late on a Sunday night which was unbelievable, but apparently due to some road work which I found hard to believe that the B/O didn't know about.  He just sat there like he had no care in the world when he could've went via Inwood and saved us the two hour commute.  And to top it off he didn't have the decency to greet passengers that wished him a good night.  Arrogant prick...

Anywho, I took the BxM2 today and we were stuck in traffic on the Deegan probably because of Mother's Day.  In your case you may have been unlucky because usually going via Inwood and via the Harlem River Drive on the weekends is the backup option when the Major Deegan is a mess and if they do a run and notice the Deegan is a mess, they will usually avoid it doing the next trip so that they can try to keep on schedule.  I was thinking of taking the BxM1 but decided I wanted to take a longer shower, so I took the BxM2 instead.  I regretted it too because I was thinking it would be as fast as the BxM1 on weekends going to the city but I forgot that it can get caught in traffic when you get past 50th... The BxM1 can fly down Lex on the weekends with no traffic as the stops requested are usually few and far in between once you hit the big ones like 86th, 79th etc. Going back to Riverdale on the BxM2 however is usually faster than the BxM1 since the BxM1 has to stop in Inwood on weekends.

As for the Bus Time situation, that seems to be up in the air.  A lot of the old timers do as they please and some hold to the friggin' route like their life is on the line which drives me nuts because they should be able to go whatever way is quickest rather than have us sit in friggin' traffic.  There is a BxM1 driver that does this sh*t and it drives me nuts! Instead of getting off by 143rd and 5th to get around the traffic, he sits in it on the Harlem River Drive until 125th.  We sat there for 20 minutes the other morning a few weeks ago when he could've avoided all of that and I've made a point not to take his bus again until they change drivers for that particular run because it takes him over a friggin' hour or more just to get to 96th street.

That bus used to carry a decent load too, but ever since he's started driving no one takes it now and I see why because it takes way too long. Nice guy, but he needs to be more aggressive with his driving.  I mean really, he takes no friggin' initiative to keep the damn bus moving and that's what we're taking the express for to get moving, not sit behind people when you can make a move into an empty lane. <_< In fact I was so irritated that I wrote in with the suggestion that B/O's should not be forced to stick to the route outlined on Bus Time for the Riverdale routes. That's why most of them get off because there is a bottle neck below 143rd usually and you crawl to get to 125th.  Plus going down 5th in that area can be much quicker if you can get around that park there with the numerous turns quickly.

I actually HATE that stupid routing on Bus Time... The smart B/O's just take the Deegan down to that bridge that leaves you over by 5th in the 130s and then continues on 5th from there.  Doing that whole meandering and then the RFK Bridge thing is so ridiculous and tedious and then making your way over on 106th to 5th with the stupid lights. I don't know who at the (MTA) came up with the routing but it is very indirect.  

annnd you could have avoided all of this by taking the metro-north!!!

Avoided all of what? Sometimes I don't feel like taking MetroNorth.  The trains are always crowded and the seats are terrible if you can get one.  The express bus is much more comfortable and convenient.  

Really? again with wanting to commence a Metro North vs Express bus debate....

It's a time-saving measure (Of which I don't blame them for doing).....

The HRD is hit or miss.... The Deegan, the odds being high of getting hung up along it, is consistent....

One... Sometimes the Deegan gets SLAMMED and I mean SLAMMED... Once coming back on a late BxM2, we were stuck on the Major Deegan for over an hour and this was late on a Sunday night which was unbelievable, but apparently due to some road work which I found hard to believe that the B/O didn't know about.  He just sat there like he had no care in the world...

He didn't care because he was getting paid for that one-hour-plus delay at time-and-a-half.

I was on ex-LLE bus on BxM2 or Bee-Line BxM4C did that exact same thing, following M98 route to 5th Av/130th St.

I have been on ex-Command CNG Bus (after taking over by MTA Bus on BxM3, where friendly driver, who previsouly work as NYCT were transfer to Command Bus, when MTA took over he was back with MTA. He was very good and funny driver. I believe it was 3:30pm departure from Sheepshead Bay. When there was traffic on northbound FDR Drive, slammed with traffic, driver announced to dispatcher: SLLLOW TRRAFFIC ON FDR DRIVE NORTH! PLEASE EXIT AT HOUSTON ST." and this driver went through his old neighborhood as he give his regularr passengers and me tour. While we were on BM3, there was homeless walking on highway.

I have been on smart Bee-Line BxM4C driver who took local streets near Major Deegan in the Bronx to avoid Yankees Stadium and GWB traffic, then reentered from some other location and it was smooth ride.

I have been on crowded LIRR and MNRR also, I agreed with Via taking express buses are much comfortable and relaxing way.

I have been on MegaBus or CoachUSA 20 got stuck in long line of bus traffic at Lincoln Tunnel helix. Some people don't want to deal with trains, because sometimes inter-travel buses takes you directly.

For example, if you live in Rockland County, most people take bus because it's direct, but some people who choose train has to take NJT Transit/Metro-North to Seacus for New York train or Hoboken for ferry service into Manhattan, which can be pain option.

This is why your proposal about limited bus or local bus using the highway system is bad idea.

I was on ex-LLE bus on BxM2 or Bee-Line BxM4C did that exact same thing, following M98 route to 5th Av/130th St......

.....I have been on smart Bee-Line BxM4C driver who took local streets near Major Deegan in the Bronx to avoid Yankees Stadium and GWB traffic, then reentered from some other location and it was smooth ride.

I have been on crowded LIRR and MNRR also, I agreed with Via taking express buses are much comfortable and relaxing way.

I have been on MegaBus or CoachUSA 20 got stuck in long line of bus traffic at Lincoln Tunnel helix. Some people don't want to deal with trains, because sometimes inter-travel buses takes you directly.

For example, if you live in Rockland County, most people take bus because it's direct, but some people who choose train has to take NJT Transit/Metro-North to Seacus for New York train or Hoboken for ferry service into Manhattan, which can be pain option.

That, and the fact that rail coverage in Rockland county is rather lacking....

Anyway, Same here - I've been on BxMc4's (back when I would 'fan em) on multiple occasions that have done all sorts of things heading towards manhattan....

I think most of us that have rode any bus into NYC or drove into NYC via the Lincoln tunnel has some occurrence of being stuck on the helix; it's one reason why I keep word find puzzles in the glove compartment.... To this day, I don't see how the NJT (or any company's) b/o's have the patience to put up with it on a daily basis..... I know I couldn't.....

...This is why your proposal about limited bus or local bus using the highway system is bad idea.

Yup.....

But also, he has a tendency to bring up Metro-North as an option whenever talks about Bronx express buses arise.....

Speaking off express bus, during last April's Humane Society Lobby Day, when we HSUS rented a bus, our Academy Bus tour bus driver used different approach to Lincoln Tunnel helix, which was much better, but only for little.

What do you mean different approach to the helix that was much better?

Approaching the helix from where......

What do you mean different approach to the helix that was much better?

Approaching the helix from where......

I not sure but our bus driver exit highway (coming out from Albany, NY), then use local street to get to bus lined up. It was last year ago, so I can't remember which entrance he used, that was much little bit faster, than lined up from another approach from expressway.

SMH at people negging you for this post, you have a point, he could have just taken Metro North and wouldn't have to worry about getting caught in traffic on the express bus, then hes bitching about stupid shit like the driver not greeting him :lol:  Who cares if the driver doesn't greet you?

That, and the fact that rail coverage in Rockland county is rather lacking....

Anyway, Same here - I've been on BxMc4's (back when I would 'fan em) on multiple occasions that have done all sorts of things heading towards manhattan....

I think most of us that have rode any bus into NYC or drove into NYC via the Lincoln tunnel has some occurrence of being stuck on the helix; it's one reason why I keep word find puzzles in the glove compartment.... To this day, I don't see how the NJT (or any company's) b/o's have the patience to put up with it on a daily basis..... I know I couldn't.....

Yup.....

But also, he has a tendency to bring up Metro-North as an option whenever talks about Bronx express buses arise.....

Not exactly only 2 BXM lines actually duplicate MNRR they are BXM1 and BXM4. The rest of the BXMs are nowhere near MNRR or have segments that are far from MNRR like BXM11. Plus BXM3 can be counted if you do local bus to MNRR BUT I am skeptical on that. So I'd say only the riverdale expresses and the weakest full time express bus actually duplicate MNRR. Your words of wisdom have been highlighted in bold tell that to yuki he doesn't understand.

Avoided all of what? Sometimes I don't feel like taking MetroNorth.  The trains are always crowded and the seats are terrible if you can get one.  The express bus is much more comfortable and convenient.  

This is why you use a little thing called GOOGLE MAPS to see if the highway the bus uses is clear if so take express bus but if you see red and it's SLAMMED USE MNRR and STFU don't get on an express bus at a bad time and complain about traffic.

I was on ex-LLE bus on BxM2 or Bee-Line BxM4C did that exact same thing, following M98 route to 5th Av/130th St.

I have been on ex-Command CNG Bus (after taking over by MTA Bus on BxM3, where friendly driver, who previsouly work as NYCT were transfer to Command Bus, when MTA took over he was back with MTA. He was very good and funny driver. I believe it was 3:30pm departure from Sheepshead Bay. When there was traffic on northbound FDR Drive, slammed with traffic, driver announced to dispatcher: SLLLOW TRRAFFIC ON FDR DRIVE NORTH! PLEASE EXIT AT HOUSTON ST." and this driver went through his old neighborhood as he give his regularr passengers and me tour. While we were on BM3, there was homeless walking on highway.

I have been on smart Bee-Line BxM4C driver who took local streets near Major Deegan in the Bronx to avoid Yankees Stadium and GWB traffic, then reentered from some other location and it was smooth ride.

This is why your proposal about limited bus or local bus using the highway system is bad idea.

BS rockland is poorly served by rail and is an exception. NJ express buses tend to be more reliable and CUSA lines reach areas that the rail doesn't reach so of course they are a better option FOR NYC BOUND folks BUT to NJ depending on location the train OR bus can be better. 

BXM4C however is not as fast and for $7.50 is a complete ripoff. MOST BXM lines DO NOT duplicate metro-north. One does not simply compare rockland county to NYC express buses. Rockland buses are non stop the train makes almost every stop of course buses are faster in this regard. You know jack shit about how any of my proposals work so your wasting your time with that BS stance your taking. This is why the 4C is useless look closely at the corridors my so called proposals use last I checked the clearview is not a parking lot all the time. And mostly express buses just need to be quicker. grand central has backroads anyway nullifying your argument to nothing.

SMH at people negging you for this post, you have a point, he could have just taken Metro North and wouldn't have to worry about getting caught in traffic on the express bus, then hes bitching about stupid shit like the driver not greeting him :lol:  Who cares if the driver doesn't greet you?

we are dealing with babies here. It's like putting your hand in fire and complaining about getting burned so stupid.

and sometimes you don't feel like checking traffic before taking express buses how did that work out for ya?  If you checked traffic and found out that MNRR was better you would not have had an hour long delay and you won't be bitching over a poor choice you made. A mode is a mode and they both get you to your destination. When traffic is clear the bus is better when not DO NOT COMPLAIN. If the traffic is jammed suck it up and take the MNRR don't like it stay home. Don't take an express bus when it's highway is jammed then complain about it being slow you should have checked ahead of time to determine if the bus was fast.

and sometimes you don't feel like checking traffic before taking express buses how did that work out for ya?  If you checked traffic and found out that MNRR was better you would not have had an hour long delay and you won't be bitching over a poor choice you made. A mode is a mode and they both get you to your destination. When traffic is clear the bus is better when not DO NOT COMPLAIN. If the traffic is jammed suck it up and take the MNRR don't like it stay home. Don't take an express bus when it's highway is jammed then complain about it being slow you should have checked ahead of time to determine if the bus was fast.

First off when you start paying for my transportation, then you can decide what works for me. I have an express bus pass because that is what is most convenient for me during my daily commuting as opposed to MetroNorth because I generally am not going places that MetroNorth stops at.  Each time that I take MetroNorth that is an additional cost and sometimes I use it three to four times a week which is $33.00 a week since I generally use it during peak periods but have no need for it outside of that. When I use it, that requires additional transfers, walking etc. as opposed to a one seat ride on the express bus. The whole point of me buying an express bus pass is to reduce my transportation costs.  Can I afford it?  Obviously, but why should I spend over $100.00 a month on MetroNorth when I already spend $220.00 - $275.00 a month for my express bus which is how I do most of my commuting?  Add MetroNorth into the mix and that $132.00 - $165.00 a month more, which is damn there the cost of a MetroNorth rail pass at $193.00 a month, damn there $500.00 for public transportation.  I mean seriously the whole point of public transportation is that it's supposed to be cheap.  Paying almost $500.00 a month I wouldn't be saving much over having a car in the overall scheme of things and I personally would rather spend that money on something more comforting than standing on a packed train or better yet sitting on those terrible seats with my back killing me.  A nice way to spend over $100.00 a month.

Second, I watch the news every morning for the traffic report and traffic may be fine one minute and not fine the next. 

Really? You know where I'm commuting from now to tell me what works best for me huh? As for the whole driver not greeting passengers, it's called having some sort of respect.  On the express bus, it is customary for the drivers and passengers to greet one another just like they do on MetroNorth.  Just a custom that is upheld and those who don't do it are viewed as being rude because they know it's part of the set up.

Even with traffic, most riders prefer express buses.

I remember when before MTA Fare was $5.00 for express bus, when A-E still existed, I took last X23 out of Huguenot and it was crowded by the by time it reached last pick up in Staten Island. Some people were standees, so some decided to wait for X24 bus.

When we hit NJ Turnpike, there was bumper to bumper traffic near Lincoln Tunnel. Staten Island residents don't seem to mind traffic, even when they're late.

Same reason for passengers in Throgs Neck or Pelham Park area in Bronx, well as Queens people.

Some of Queens riders who use express bus don't mind traffic.

QJ, Rockland County buses are not part of NJ buses. For example, Rockland Coach #20 bus just travel through NJ, makes stop along parell closer to NJT's Main Bergen Line and Metro-North's Spring Valley, almost parelling the train until it reaches Route 4.

Some people prefer buses because  it's cheaper than train.

QJT, you're mistaken. I have been on Rockland Coach #20 buses are no matter faster. I remember when I took 5:10pm out of Palisade Mall, it took about over almost 2-hours just to get to PABT.

First off when you start paying for my transportation, then you can decide what works for me. I have an express bus pass because that is what is most convenient for me during my daily commuting as opposed to MetroNorth because I generally am not going places that MetroNorth stops at.  Each time that I take MetroNorth that is an additional cost and sometimes I use it three to four times a week which is $33.00 a week since I generally use it during peak periods but have no need for it outside of that. When I use it, that requires additional transfers, walking etc. as opposed to a one seat ride on the express bus. The whole point of me buying an express bus pass is to reduce my transportation costs.  Can I afford it?  Obviously, but why should I spend over $100.00 a month on MetroNorth when I already spend $220.00 - $275.00 a month for my express bus which is how I do most of my commuting?  Add MetroNorth into the mix and that $132.00 - $165.00 a month more, which is damn there the cost of a MetroNorth rail pass at $193.00 a month, damn there $500.00 for public transportation.  I mean seriously the whole point of public transportation is that it's supposed to be cheap.  Paying almost $500.00 a month I wouldn't be saving much over having a car in the overall scheme of things and I personally would rather spend that money on something more comforting than standing on a packed train or better yet sitting on those terrible seats with my back killing me.  A nice way to spend over $100.00 a month.

Second, I watch the news every morning for the traffic report and traffic may be fine one minute and not fine the next. 

Really? You know where I'm commuting from now to tell me what works best for me huh? As for the whole driver not greeting passengers, it's called having some sort of respect.  On the express bus, it is customary for the drivers and passengers to greet one another just like they do on MetroNorth.  Just a custom that is upheld and those who don't do it are viewed as being rude because they know it's part of the set up.

Says the fool who sat in traffic for over an hour LOL :lol:  :lol: That is why you use a smartphone for traffic. You make decent money there is no excuse what works best for you is sitting in traffic for an hour what works best for ME is getting to my destination as fast as possible regardless of mode whether it is express bus OR MNRR if traffic is fine use the bus if NOT use the train it is that simple you can't be that stupid. Your just whining over a poor decision you made it is YOUR FAULT you sat in traffic not the driver's you could have avoided it and you didn't and got burned deal with it. express bus is $220 a month NOT higher. You can always petition for the MTA to create a fairer cross-honoring policy so bronx and queens commuters are allowed to use LIRR and MNRR and local bus and subways without paying more at least for peak periods. It is unfair that you have to pay for MNRR monthly AND express bus/subway I think the fares need integration. What about a city regional pass that includes all MTA services within the 5 boros to replace city zone and express monthly? I am sure some riverdaleites are tired of paying more.

Even with traffic, most riders prefer express buses.

I remember when before MTA Fare was $5.00 for express bus, when A-E still existed, I took last X23 out of Huguenot and it was crowded by the by time it reached last pick up in Staten Island. Some people were standees, so some decided to wait for X24 bus.

When we hit NJ Turnpike, there was bumper to bumper traffic near Lincoln Tunnel. Staten Island residents don't seem to mind traffic, even when they're late.

FOOL THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE A FASTER CHOICE!!!

Same reason for passengers in Throgs Neck or Pelham Park area in Bronx, well as Queens people.

Some of Queens riders who use express bus don't mind traffic. MORONIC tell that to VG8 who bitched about traffic even though it was avoidable.

QJ, Rockland County buses are not part of NJ buses. For example, Rockland Coach #20 bus just travel through NJ, makes stop along parell closer to NJT's Main Bergen Line and Metro-North's Spring Valley, almost parelling the train until it reaches Route 4.

Some people prefer buses because  it's cheaper than train. You forgot to say more frequent too!!!! one more thing the 11 NOT the 20 duplicates that rail line. The 20 is nowhere near the bergen line you are horribly misinformed badly.

QJT, you're mistaken. I have been on Rockland Coach #20 buses are no matter faster. I remember when I took 5:10pm out of Palisade Mall, it took about over almost 2-hours just to get to PABT. you do realize faster buses like the 9 can be used right? OHH MOST 20 riders are from NORTHERN NJ!!!!

red replies please educate yourself your knowledge about bus lines is severely lacking and it is showing in this post of yours. 

The CUSA 20 is a local if you want speed use Monsey trails OR the faster 40 series. You don't have to use the 20 it is more like a multipurpose local bus.

Also 20 does NOT duplicate the train except in rockland and only for a short segment I think you have that confused with the 11AT line One problem train service is too infrequent so those have no choice but to use the bus and the fact that the train is single tracked doesn't help either.

Last I checked throngs neck has no train service whatsoever and Pelham bay is served by the SLOW ASS (6) of course the express bus is better in those cases again one does not simply compare fordham to throngs neck as one has multiple train options 3 and the other has NONE. Even if MNRR added east bronx service it goes through queens and completely bypasses upper manhattan and parts of midtown where the bulk of BXM riders are going to anyway. So MNRR would only take cars off the roads in east bronx But it would have little effect on express bus ridership.

You can't compare a duplicative line like BXM1 which still gets good use and a poorly used BXM4 to a line like X1 that has no other options. You can't compare queens SE to SI as one has rail and one has a slow ass boat no contest. OHH FYI Most queens express riders are NOT near the LIRR at all. And the ones except X63 that are near LIRR get abysmal usage. X63 barely gets anyone in rosedale but on merrick not near LIRR it carries well. X64 and QM21 are dead horses. QM21 however is justified due to the ppl on it X64= waste of buses. 

X23/24 you do realize SI has no faster alternatives to manhattan than the express bus?  Ferry don't count do not even bring up the (R) !

People deserve a faster express bus experience therefore HOV lanes are needed on I-278 and the LIE bidirectional full time so QM buses and SI X lines don't crawl. The harlem river is insane that no HOV is there. Surely riverdale folk deserve better.

What's funny about this is that.... those words you bolded were told to Yuki.

You need to break it down better he didn't get it. He thinks the 20 goes near the bergen line LOL! :lol:  :lol:  Most rockland to NYC riders avoid the 20 apparently he doesn't get it.

My retired museum friend was bringing me to Palisade Mall via her car, and at that moment I didn't know #20 was local route. I only have been on #11C most of time.

I am educated.

I even sent request to Rockland Coach to give me turn by turn direction for 11C or #20, so they did.

Says the fool who sat in traffic for over an hour LOL :lol:  :lol: That is why you use a smartphone for traffic. You make decent money there is no excuse what works best for you is sitting in traffic for an hour what works best for ME is getting to my destination as fast as possible regardless of mode whether it is express bus OR MNRR if traffic is fine use the bus if NOT use the train it is that simple you can't be that stupid. Your just whining over a poor decision you made it is YOUR FAULT you sat in traffic not the driver's you could have avoided it and you didn't and got burned deal with it. express bus is $220 a month NOT higher. You can always petition for the MTA to create a fairer cross-honoring policy so bronx and queens commuters are allowed to use LIRR and MNRR and local bus and subways without paying more at least for peak periods. It is unfair that you have to pay for MNRR monthly AND express bus/subway I think the fares need integration. What about a city regional pass that includes all MTA services within the 5 boros to replace city zone and express monthly? I am sure some riverdaleites are tired of paying more.

Excuse me, but I don't know of anyone that would be checking the traffic report on a late Sunday night.  There is usually NO traffic to speak of then and at that time the express bus based on my location would be much faster than MetroNorth since I would have to wait for car service at the station and make transfers just to get to MetroNorth.

Also if there are five weeks in the month, then YES it would be $275 and not $220.

Speaking, but little off-topic, no one who takes ride on M15 SBS during U.N. General Assembly or NYC Marathon, they don't bother to check the NYC.Gov/DOT Traffic advisory or traffic report to see their bus is going to be delay or not.

Most people who even takes local/SBS/LTD buses are patient people who do not want to deal with crowded subway.

Says the fool who sat in traffic for over an hour LOL :lol:  :lol:That is why you use a smartphone for traffic. You make decent money there is no excuse what works best for you is sitting in traffic for an hour what works best for ME is getting to my destination as fast as possible regardless of mode whether it is express bus OR MNRR if traffic is fine use the bus if NOT use the train it is that simple you can't be that stupid. Your just whining over a poor decision you made it is YOUR FAULT you sat in traffic not the driver's you could have avoided it and you didn't and got burned deal with it. express bus is $220 a month NOT higher. You can always petition for the MTA to create a fairer cross-honoring policy so bronx and queens commuters are allowed to use LIRR and MNRR and local bus and subways without paying more at least for peak periods. It is unfair that you have to pay for MNRR monthly AND express bus/subway I think the fares need integration. What about a city regional pass that includes all MTA services within the 5 boros to replace city zone and express monthly? I am sure some riverdaleites are tired of paying more.

Replies to the bolded comments:

I'm starting to get pissed by the assumption that every single person in the five boroughs and beyond has a smartphone. There are various reasons why one wouldn't own a smartphone, and in any case GPS location or live traffic data may have adverse impacts on the amount of data left in a plan, or on battery life. People need to stop treating a smartphone like a magic solution for everybody, because it's not.

Express bus vs. MNRR is not as black and white as THIS GETS ME THERE FASTER - assuming that VG8 doesn't live right next to the MNRR, and his destination is not within a 10-minute walk of Grand Central, the normally direct express bus route may not be faster using MNRR and subway/bus. It's definitely not cheaper, because last I checked express bus Metrocards worked on the regular system as well, and MNRR passes do not. There's also varying levels of passenger comfort, atmosphere, etc. Not everyone is as much of a transit diehard as you.

This last bit especially pisses me off, since you're not proposing an actual solution to his problem... you're using his situation to promote your fantasy of a regional rail pass, which is never, ever going to happen - it makes no financial sense for the MTA to do so, and they have no money to throw around. Who cares if you think the fares need integration (and whether or not they do is another matter entirely), but stop using people's lives to promote your wet dreams about transit, and cut the know-it-all crap, because you're not better than the rest of us, whatever your oversized ego might tell you.

Let's just get back to the original topic, folks.

I'm starting to get pissed by the assumption that every single person in the five boroughs and beyond has a smartphone. There are various reasons why one wouldn't own a smartphone, and in any case GPS location or live traffic data may have adverse impacts on the amount of data left in a plan, or on battery life. People need to stop treating a smartphone like a magic solution for everybody, because it's not.

Express bus vs. MNRR is not as black and white as THIS GETS ME THERE FASTER - assuming that VG8 doesn't live right next to the MNRR, and his destination is not within a 10-minute walk of Grand Central, the normally direct express bus route may not be faster using MNRR and subway/bus. It's definitely not cheaper, because last I checked express bus Metrocards worked on the regular system as well, and MNRR passes do not. There's also varying levels of passenger comfort, atmosphere, etc. Not everyone is as much of a transit diehard as you.

This last bit especially pisses me off, since you're not proposing an actual solution to his problem... you're using his situation to promote your fantasy of a regional rail pass, which is never, ever going to happen - it makes no financial sense for the MTA to do so, and they have no money to throw around. Who cares if you think the fares need integration (and whether or not they do is another matter entirely), but stop using people's lives to promote your wet dreams about transit, and cut the know-it-all crap, because you're not better than the rest of us, whatever your oversized ego might tell you.

Nope, I don't live near the MNRR at all. I have to take the Hudson Rail Link bus to reach MNRR which is roughly a 20 minute ride.  Factor in the 20+ ride on MetroNorth and any other transfers and the express bus in many cases is the same if not quicker depending on the location.  

Nope, I don't live near the MNRR at all. I have to take the Hudson Rail Link bus to reach MNRR which is roughly a 20 minute ride.  Factor in the 20+ ride on MetroNorth and any other transfers and the express bus in many cases is the same if not quicker depending on the location.  

You got unlucky and if you checked you could have used the BX7 to MNRR which takes the same path as the faster BXM1 rush super express. Then get off at marble hill for a 3 min walk to MNRR to save yourself the delay at that time. HOWEVER under normal circumstances you are correct about the express bus being quicker. But look at the travel path of bxm1/2 vs Bx7 to MNRR. It shows something interesting. But under normal circumstances I would have used express bus BUT if there was delays on the highway I would improvise and use local bus to MNRR which is $4 on the weekends due to cityticket if they don't collect I can use that ticket on the return trip!!! I always improvise when something goes wrong.

for example If I were using an NJT bus to an area served by rail which I admit there are very few areas served by BOTH NJT NYC-bound buses and NJT rail and the NJTP was slammed which rarely happens then I will improvise and take the train instead and transfer to a local bus IF I have to. OR If I miss a NY bound bus instead of waiting an hour for the next one I'd take another bus in the area leaving in a few mins and take it to the nearest rail station to save time and eliminate my long wait time.

Not everything goes according to plan so if problems arise IMPROVISE!!!!!!!!

Excuse me, but I don't know of anyone that would be checking the traffic report on a late Sunday night.  There is usually NO traffic to speak of then and at that time the express bus based on my location would be much faster than MetroNorth since I would have to wait for car service at the station and make transfers just to get to MetroNorth.

Also if there are five weeks in the month, then YES it would be $275 and not $220.

True Usually there is no traffic but it's better to be safe than sorry. Just in case it is wise to check ahead of time to see if it's that rare time when MNRR is quicker. You are right that MOST of the time the BXM1/2 on sundays are in fact quicker than MNRR I am not refuting that BUT you can't not check then complain about getting burned. Cause if you checked you would have used BX10 or 7 or hudson rail link to MNRR even though normally express bus is a better option in this case it wasn't which is why YOU are at fault here. Since when does a month have 5 weeks? Not often you know.

Speaking, but little off-topic, no one who takes ride on M15 SBS during U.N. General Assembly or NYC Marathon, they don't bother to check the NYC.Gov/DOT Traffic advisory or traffic report to see their bus is going to be delay or not.

Most people who even takes local/SBS/LTD buses are patient people who do not want to deal with crowded subway.

No they are IDIOTS!!! Most of em DO have smartphones. Now finding people who don't have them is actually very hard. You are in the minority my friend.

I never said I was better than you didn't I. I am just saying people deserve the ability to use all options for travel within the 5 boros without having to buy multiple passes is that so wrong? It may actually be cheaper to cross honor rail at rush than to run SOME express buses that duplicate however in the bronx very few do duplicate MNRR and many times with some exceptions express bus BXM1 or 2 are faster but at times when the I-87 gets slammed then MNRR becomes cheaper. I understand your argument and in MNRR's case it's very valid as very few BXM lines heck actually only one BXM line completely duplicates but it's ridership is so low that cross honoring would benefit only a few but queens is a bit different but that is another issue altogether. I admit your rail proposals are ambitious and I have mixed feelings about em maybe we can debate that in another thread if you want.

Ohh you clearly underestimate the amount of smartphone users in the city and in this country. Smartphone users are more numerous than you think. And even if you don't have one you can ask someone who does have one to check traffic for you eliminating that excuse completely you can get pissed all you want but the truth is that more and more people are getting smartphones and they are already in the majority in NYC if not close to becoming the majority. I am actually hard pressed to find a dumbphone user in the city actually.

Archived