MTA blows up inflatable subway plug at South Ferry station

Harry

post-5097-0-03975000-1368721393_thumb.jpg
The Super Subway Plug is here. Transit workers on Wednesday inflated a 30-foot-long, 14-foot-diameter plug in an unused subway tunnel for evaluation as a possible defense against flooding such as the inundation of Hurricane Sandy, the Daily News has learned. The device was placed in a tube just north of a No. 1 train platform at the South Ferry station, which was largely destroyed when it filled with water during the disastrous storm.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-03975000-1368721393_thumb.jpg

While an interesting idea in certain other locations, I don't think this would help South Ferry very much because so much of the water came in through the station entrances from street level. This could be used at other places such as the yard lead from 207th St. Yard, for example, to prevent flooding of 207th St. and Dyckman St. stations on the (A), if successful.

I agree, it would minimize the flooding but not eliminate the fact the station is shoddily built in the first place.

I think they tested the plug at south ferry because that was an area that happened to be closed to train traffic. The flood mitigation efforts at South Ferry are happening on the surface, mostly. 

These plugs are really designed to protect the tubes, and the tubes are the areas that, by and large, suffered the most damage. If these were all inflated before the storm, at each end of all the tubes, there would still be damage, sure, but we'd have been spared, for example, the continuing problems at Montague. 

It's a good start, if nothing else. Although I wonder if the 3rd rail and all the other assorted sharp objects in the tunnel won't damage it.

It looks like it has some kind of a multi-layer woven nylon cover. I'd assume they made it rather resilient. It's certainly not just rubber. 

Wouldn't the water just move somewhere else and damage equipment in other areas?

Water, speaking in a very broad sense, perpetually flows down the path of least resistance. The tubes are by design the lowest points in the system, and as such, they are where the water has the potential to collect and do the most damage. If you plug the ends of the tube, water will start to collect there, but in this location it's much easier to pump out. Also, since the grade is not as steep as in the tube, the impact of the water would be spread more thinly through sections of the tunnel that might be able to drain it on their own. 

It's a good start, if nothing else. Although I wonder if the 3rd rail and all the other assorted sharp objects in the tunnel won't damage it.

Also happens to look like a giant phallic symbol, but that's besides the point

From that angle, it looks more like a boob :)

=

As for the river tunnels, this can be useful to keep the water from filling up at the lowest level.

Archived