Thoughts on the BM3?

Kriston Lewis

There's a good possibility that I'll be moving to Midwood soon. I hate to be one of those posters, but I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the BM3 since I've only taken it once (can't really get a fair idea that way).

80% of the time I'll take the (B) or (Q) to work, but I was wondering if the BM3 could serve a decent alternative every now and then.

I use the BM3 and if you're in Midwood, it should be relatively quick.  If you're in Midwood above Avenue L, you have the choice of the BM1, BM3 and BM4, so you're not just limited to one bus.  If you don't feel like dealing with the hassle of the (B) and (Q) or the crowds, stick with the express bus.  Just give yourself an extra 20 or so minutes in case there is traffic just as you would with the subway in case there was a problem and you'll be fine.  If you work on the East Side then they definitely save some time because you don't have to deal with any transfers from the subway.

There's a good possibility that I'll be moving to Midwood soon. I hate to be one of those posters, but I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the BM3 since I've only taken it once (can't really get a fair idea that way).

80% of the time I'll take the (B) or (Q) to work, but I was wondering if the BM3 could serve a decent alternative every now and then.

The BM3 is a very nice alternative indeed. From Midwood to Downtown, usually takes around 20-40 minutes on the Downtown loop, and from 30-55 minutes from your area compared to an hourly travel on the train, depending what time you take the bus.

If you take the BM3, the last bus in your area passes at around 3:10-3:15 (The bus schedule is more accurate), and before that, at 2:00-2:05.

Here's the schedule:http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/bm003cur.pdf

BM1: http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/bm001cur.pdf

BM2: http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/bm002cur.pdf

BM4: http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/bm004cur.pdf

Took the BM3 once. As VG8 said, all four of those BMs go through Midwood. Depending on where in Midwood you are, you may have all 4 of them as options for you. That's pretty convenient.

if ur going to live passed Av K meaning kings hwy etc, I think this express route is helpful whenever going to the city. But, on weekdays they changed 1 hour to 70 minutes for a bus  :huh:  but leave from 57 st, the same? Overall, its a helpful route on AM to Manhattan except on saturdays, there wont be that much on prbly 1-4 people 

Took the BM3 once. As VG8 said, all four of those BMs go through Midwood. Depending on where in Midwood you are, you may have all 4 of them as options for you. That's pretty convenient.

the BM1 is helpful to Mill Basin, but the BM4 ehh it got cut too much except the BM2 and BM5 go seperate ways

You mean three... The BM1, BM3 and BM4 all run together once they meet up at Ocean and Avenue K.  The three of them then meet up with the BM2 at Cortelyou and that's when she would have access to all 4 if she was boarding along Cortelyou Rd, but she would have to be in Kensington or Flatbush and not Midwood.  After the stops along Cortelyou then the BM3 and BM4 continue together and the BM1 and BM2 continue together.  

if ur going to live passed Av K meaning kings hwy etc, I think this express route is helpful whenever going to the city. But, on weekdays they changed 1 hour to 70 minutes for a bus  :huh:  but leave from 57 st, the same? Overall, its a helpful route on AM to Manhattan except on saturdays, there wont be that much on prbly 1-4 people 

the BM1 is helpful to Mill Basin, but the BM4 ehh it got cut too much except the BM2 and BM5 go seperate ways

BM4 is still useful because it runs earlier on Saturdays if you're going back to Midwood from the city in the morning and if she has access to the BM1, BM3 and BM4 then her waits will be pretty short as sometimes they run about 10 minutes apart depending on when she tries to catch one.

I use the BM3 and if you're in Midwood, it should be relatively quick.  If you're in Midwood above Avenue L, you have the choice of the BM1, BM3 and BM4, so you're not just limited to one bus.  If you don't feel like dealing with the hassle of the (B) and (Q) or the crowds, stick with the express bus.  Just give yourself an extra 20 or so minutes in case there is traffic just as you would with the subway in case there was a problem and you'll be fine.  If you work on the East Side then they definitely save some time because you don't have to deal with any transfers from the subway.

Work is on the West Side, but I don't mind walking to/from Eighth Avenue, exercise is good! That one time I took it there wasn't any horrendous traffic on the expressway or FDR Drive. I wonder because I always hear about Jamie Shupak warning about backups on the Gowanus in the mornings.

Yes, I will be around Kings Highway (that is if all goes as planned). Would that mean I'd always have a seat during the AM peak?

You mean three... The BM1, BM3 and BM4 all run together once they meet up at Ocean and Avenue K.  The three of them then meet up with the BM2 at Cortelyou and that's when she would have access to all 4 if she was boarding along Cortelyou Rd, but she would have to be in Kensington or Flatbush and not Midwood.  After the stops along Cortelyou then the BM3 and BM4 continue together and the BM1 and BM2 continue together.  

BM4 is still useful because it runs earlier on Saturdays if you're going back to Midwood from the city in the morning and if she has access to the BM1, BM3 and BM4 then her waits will be pretty short as sometimes they run about 10 minutes apart depending on when she tries to catch one.

He's on Kings Highway.

Yes, I will be around Kings Highway (that is if all goes as planned). Would that mean I'd always have a seat during the AM peak?

Emanating at Kings Highway/Ocean, yeah, you'll have a seat on the inbound BM3 during the AM rush..... Don't expect buses to be all that empty though.

Once you start hitting Av K (and northward) is where I'd say one would worry about getting a seat around that time

(esp. if the BM3 arrives before the 1 & the 4).....

Emanating at Kings Highway/Ocean, yeah, you'll have a seat on the inbound BM3 during the AM rush..... Don't expect buses to be all that empty though.

Once you start hitting Av K (and northward) is where I'd say one would worry about getting a seat around that time

Work is on the West Side, but I don't mind walking to/from Eighth Avenue, exercise is good! That one time I took it there wasn't any horrendous traffic on the expressway or FDR Drive. I wonder because I always hear about Jamie Shupak warning about backups on the Gowanus in the mornings.

He's on Kings Highway.

So you'll be walking from Madison to Eight... Not a big deal... When I take the BxM2, I walk over from 7th to 5th to get the BM3 down to Sheepshead Bay and walk over to 6th from Madison to get the BxM2 back to Riverdale... As you said, good exercise and hey you can always stop off for a snack or an espresso too as I do.  :D

As for traffic, the BM's spend the least amount of time on the Gowanus out of all of the express buses and even when there is traffic I'd say that they usually are able to get in and out without too many problems unless the Battery is a total mess.

As for a seat, yeah you should be able to get a decent seat.  The main areas where the bus picks up on the BM3 is along Batchelder and Avenue X and East 28th street.  All other stops generally may get a few people here or there.  As B35 said, the big ones start at Ave K. and Ocean and up, esp. at the last stop on Cortelyou Rd... 

Speaking of the BM3, had the weather not been so crappy I would've used it today to go down to the bay but alas...  <_<

P.S. You're a male with a name like Kriston huh... Learn something new every day...

you would be able to get a seat Super Express. if your taking this route on saturday, you are 100% getting a seat but its every hour and it runs through All Stops

you would be able to get a seat Super Express. if your taking this route on saturday, you are 100% getting a seat but its every hour and it runs through All Stops

It only makes all stops if people are getting off Downtown, which usually isn't the case during most runs.  Most folks want Midtown on Saturdays, esp. 23rd and 1st and Madison for the close by shopping.

I think I mentioned this before but I always wanted to take the BM3 into Lower Manhattan but I've heard there are 2 different BM3's; one that skips Lower Manhattan and one that doesn't.

So what's stopping you? There are only two BM3's during rush hour.  One does the Downtown Loop and the other does Midtown via the FDR, bypassing Manhattan.  It's not that confusing.  The one that you need will state that it's the Downtown Loop and the Midtown bus will state that its a Super Express meaning that it bypasses Downtown completely.  After the rush however, the BM3 makes all stops unless there are passengers that aren't going Downtown.  Then it will bypass Downtown and just run as a "Super Express".

huh I thought the bulk of the BM3's ridership was on ave X and batchelder around sheepshead bay?

huh I thought the bulk of the BM3's ridership was on ave X and batchelder around sheepshead bay?

- That comment VG8 made was in reference to the bulk of the BM3's ridership IN sheepshead bay.....

- The bulk of the BM3's ridership isn't in sheepshead bay.....

Don't confuse the two.

@VG8, I don't know man, when I read the signage on the bus, it doesn't say anything but Super Express and via Brooklyn streets.

I don't see where you're confused either....

- When you see "Super Express", those are the buses that go straight to Midtown from Brooklyn.....

- When you see "Downtown Loop", those are the buses that only serve Lower Manhattan from Brooklyn....

If you don't see "Super Express" or "Downtown Loop", those are the buses that serve both Lower Manhattan & Midtown Manhattan.

(during the AM rush, buses don't serve both lower & midtown manhattan - it's one or the other)

Me, I take the BM1 (moreso than the BM2 now... few reasons) in the morning from the Utica/Av K stop....

I have to make sure I get on the buses that say "Downtown Loop", since I work over in the village (I get off at Barclay, then walk back the block for the M5 @ vesey to head on up to Christopher).... Used to get off at the first stop (battery/west) & take the 20 straight to christopher, but I can't deal with that route on any regular basis (although it puts me off much closer).....

- That comment VG8 made was in reference to the bulk of the BM3's ridership IN sheepshead bay.....

- The bulk of the BM3's ridership isn't in sheepshead bay.....

Don't confuse the two.

Exactly... Now that isn't to say that there isn't a decent amount of people that use the BM3 in Sheepshead Bay, but overall it isn't   I'd say maybe 40% comes from Sheepshead Bay, a percentage from Midwood and the rest from Kensington with the rest coming from the Ocean Parkway and Coney Island Avenue areas.

@VG8, I don't know man, when I read the signage on the bus, it doesn't say anything but Super Express and via Brooklyn streets.

lol... The B/O has to have the correct signage up because there are instances where a Downtown Loop and a Super Express will run back to back so the difference has to be made. 

lol... The B/O has to have the correct signage up because there are instances where a Downtown Loop and a Super Express will run back to back so the difference has to be made. 

Exactly what happens when I wait for my 1.... The downtown bus arrives < 5 mins after the super express buses pass..... By time we make the turn onto CI av, we're usually running back to back (BM1 downtown & BM1 super express), along w/ the downtown BM4.... It's actually one reason I take the 1 over the 2 - On the 2, the gap b/w the super express & the downtown bus I find to be wider/greater (in other words, after the midtown buses pass, it's closer to 10 mins the downtown bus arrives on the 2).... 

Other reasons I take the 1 over the 2 is that,

- there's a dunkin donuts over there on flatlands/utica (I'm not going into that hole in the wall corner store on av H/utica)

- there's more 1 service compared to the 2 in the morning

- quite frankly, it's a quicker ride out of brooklyn

- (to avoid) all them dam schoolkids (and this bum ass dude) waiting over there at av. H/utica

- the women are better looking on the 1 (kidding.... well, they are better looking, but kidding in that, it's not a reason I take the 1... lol)

Exactly what happens when I wait for my 1.... The downtown bus arrives < 5 mins after the super express buses pass..... By time we make the turn onto CI av, we're usually running back to back (BM1 downtown & BM1 super express), along w/ the downtown BM4.... It's actually one reason I take the 1 over the 2 - On the 2, the gap b/w the super express & the downtown bus I find to be wider/greater (in other words, after the midtown buses pass, it's closer to 10 mins the downtown bus arrives on the 2).... 

Other reasons I take the 1 over the 2 is that,

- there's a dunkin donuts over there on flatlands/utica (I'm not going into that hole in the wall corner store on av H/utica)

- there's more 1 service compared to the 2 in the morning

- quite frankly, it's a quicker ride out of brooklyn

- (to avoid) all them dam schoolkids (and this bum ass dude) waiting over there at av. H/utica

- the women are better looking on the 1 (kidding.... well, they are better looking, but kidding in that, it's not a reason I take the 1... lol)

LMAO... Either way with regards to the women most of them are middle aged anyway... Once in a blue moon I see a nice looking young one on the Riverdale express buses, but on the BM3... Please... On Saturdays they're usually all old and if I take it during the week, it's mainly middle aged yenta types... Funny thing is late nights I see young chicks around my age on the BxM2, but necessarily hot or my type... A few nice looking Latinas but they're not regulars..

I have a regular that I sit behind on the BxM1 in the morning... Always snores then asks me if she snores.... I'm like I'm sure your husband tells you that. You don't need me to tell you that.  <_<

LMAO... Either way with regards to the women most of them are middle aged anyway... Once in a blue moon I see a nice looking young one on the Riverdale express buses, but on the BM3... Please... On Saturdays they're usually all old and if I take it during the week, it's mainly middle aged yenta types... Funny thing is late nights I see young chicks around my age on the BxM2, but necessarily hot or my type... A few nice looking Latinas but they're not regulars..

Right, better lookin middle aged women; Wasn't tryna imply that there were hot young 20-somethings all over the place (you won't find that on any express route).... On the BM3, yeah, I do find that there are more seniors on that route (compared to the rest of the BM's)...

Far as saturdays go, although I don't do much weekend overtime anymore, I did notice more non-regulars taking the BM1/BM2 during the later afternoon hours back to Brooklyn.... Usually folks coming back from shopping in midtown that won't STFU, talkin all loud like they're on the local bus or on the subway.....

Right, better lookin middle aged women; Wasn't tryna imply that there were hot young 20-somethings all over the place (you won't find that on any express route).... On the BM3, yeah, I do find that there are more seniors on that route (compared to the rest of the BM's)...

Far as saturdays go, although I don't do much weekend overtime anymore, I did notice more non-regulars taking the BM1/BM2 during the later afternoon hours back to Brooklyn.... Usually folks coming back from shopping in midtown that won't STFU, talkin all loud like they're on the local bus or on the subway.....

LOL... Isn't that the truth... I noticed that on a BM1 one Saturday going to Brooklyn... I got off at K and Ocean... A yenta behind the driver yacking non-stop... That's why I like sitting in the back... Thursday night on the way back from the city we had a little group towards the front on the BxM2... That damn lady was yacking non-stop from the time I got on until the time they got off along the Henry Hudson Parkway... I'm surprised no one told her to shut up because it's usually very quiet... Cut her some slack I guess because she looked like she was traveling with an international student. Young Chinese guy that looked like a Columbia University Student.  I got the impression that she was traveling with him for some reason or invited him or he was a student staying at the Arbor.

We get the occasional groups that travel up to Riverdale for dinner or get togethers and that's when the buses can be yacky, esp. the BxM2.

I find the BM's during the week to be relatively quiet though so Kriston should be able to get a piece of mind going to or from work even if the bus is crowded. What's surprising is how crowded the Midtown Super Expresses get though...

I find the BM's during the week to be relatively quiet though so Kriston should be able to get a piece of mind going to or from work even if the bus is crowded. What's surprising is how crowded the Midtown Super Expresses get though...

In the morning, yeh, my BM1 isn't too bad w/ the noise... You'll get your occasional wall st type talkin on his cell & what not, but I drown that out w/ my mp3 player anyway....

- By time we get to the prospect, the rider counts on the super express & the downtown BM1's look to be about the same.....

- I will say there's a stark difference b/w the two on the BM2 though; much more midtown riders than those on the downtown buses (that's probably the only benefit I had of taking the BM2 downtown buses; sometimes I would have the whole back section [last 3-4 rows] to myself)....

- Don't know about the downtown BM3's, but I see those super express BM3's almost SRO @ times.....

- The downtown BM4's are about 1/3 to 1/2 full (don't know about the super express BM4's either)

^^ (everything above, I'm talkin about AM weekday buses) ^^

- Don't know how the AM BM5's are, but the PM BM5's I find, vary in usage.... buses can have as little as 10 ppl heading back to brooklyn, but on other occasions, buses can be about 5 seats or so away from being SRO believe it or not.... Basically what I'm sayin is (from what I gather), ridership is not consistent on that route....

In the morning, yeh, my BM1 isn't too bad w/ the noise... You'll get your occasional wall st type talkin on his cell & what not, but I drown that out w/ my mp3 player anyway....

- By time we get to the prospect, the rider counts on the super express & the downtown BM1's look to be about the same.....

- I will say there's a stark difference b/w the two on the BM2 though; much more midtown riders than those on the downtown buses (that's probably the only benefit I had of taking the BM2 downtown buses; sometimes I would have the whole back section [last 3-4 rows] to myself)....

- Don't know about the downtown BM3's, but I see those super express BM3's almost SRO @ times.....

- The downtown BM4's are about 1/3 to 1/2 full (don't know about the super express BM4's either)

^^ (everything above, I'm talkin about AM weekday buses) ^^

- Don't know how the AM BM5's are, but the PM BM5's I find, vary in usage.... buses can have as little as 10 ppl heading back to brooklyn, but on other occasions, buses can be about 5 seats or so away from being SRO believe it or not.... Basically what I'm sayin is (from what I gather), ridership is not consistent on that route....

That makes sense from what I've observed on the BM5's as well...

I would think there's at least one or two of them on the Staten Island expresses. Y'know gym, tan, laundry...

The only time I've taken it was during the evening rush hour. The bus was sparsely crowded since one had already passed about 15 minutes before. It was a quiet uneventful ride.

...but on the BM3... Please... On Saturdays they're usually all old and if I take it during the week, it's mainly middle aged yenta types...

Eh, I take the B25 on a regular basis. I'm used to the elderly. It's weird that no matter the line, they always seem to end up next to or near me, no matter how crowded or empty the bus is. In fact, I've been told once that the reason that someone sat next to me is because "I'm non threatening" and a "nice young man".

Archived