Thoughts on the BM3?

Kriston Lewis

Eh, I take the B25 on a regular basis. I'm used to the elderly. It's weird that no matter the line, they always seem to end up next to or near me, no matter how crowded or empty the bus is. In fact, I've been told once that the reason that someone sat next to me is because "I'm non threatening" and a "nice young man".

lol...I have a few of them sit near me now or in front of me because I get off at their stop. Sometimes they even yack... I overheard one ask if they had seen me before and the male chuckled and said yeah, I've seen 'em before...

I would think there's at least one or two of them on the Staten Island expresses. Y'know gym, tan, laundry...

That's why he said they wouldn't be all over the place. On Staten Island, you would get younger adults on the express buses because people are much more dependant on the express buses out here, compared to the other boroughs. (In the other boroughs, it's generally more of a way to relax and save yourself the trouble of transferring and all that, whereas out here, the express bus is usually much faster than the ferry or bus to the (R) train). But the primary ridership base would be middle-aged people, even out here.

BM3 is slower than the subway during the PM rush, I remember I rode an BM from Midtown to where I live in Flatbush and it took like an hour and a half, of course its more comfortable than the subway. And you always get a seat as I never heard of or seen an SRO BM3 during the PM rush. 

Not sure about the AM rush though. 

That's why he said they wouldn't be all over the place. 

Saved me a couple keystrokes....

....I remember I rode an BM from Midtown to where I live in Flatbush and it took like an hour and a half, of course its more comfortable than the subway.

Albeit not the norm, that's why I don't really take the PM BM2 to utica if I get out early anymore.... Usually get stuck along flatbush somehow.

If I get out late (after 8pm), I'll still take the BM1 or 2....

Albeit not the norm, that's why I don't really take the PM BM2 to utica if I get out early anymore.... Usually get stuck along flatbush somehow.

I think it depends on the driver too... My commute home is super quick because the drivers that I have know how to move.  Those Spring Creek B/O's some of them are just not aggressive enough for my taste.

BM3 is slower than the subway during the PM rush, I remember I rode an BM from Midtown to where I live in Flatbush and it took like an hour and a half, of course its more comfortable than the subway. And you always get a seat as I never heard of or seen an SRO BM3 during the PM rush. 

Depending on where you live and get on yes and no. In any event, the subway gets delayed too.  You act like the subway doesn't incur problems.  I've been stuck on the subway during the AM and PM rush plenty of times. In fact I'd say over the years it's a common problem. I'd much rather be stuck on an express bus where at least I can relax, then being stuck on a subway where I'm usually packed like a sardine can having to stand with my bags and such.  Hell even during the non rush segments the subways of late have been horrendous.  I took the (A) the other day from 42nd and 59th... Took at least 10 minutes to go one stop on a so-called express train.

In the morning, yeh, my BM1 isn't too bad w/ the noise... You'll get your occasional wall st type talkin on his cell & what not, but I drown that out w/ my mp3 player anyway....

- By time we get to the prospect, the rider counts on the super express & the downtown BM1's look to be about the same.....

- I will say there's a stark difference b/w the two on the BM2 though; much more midtown riders than those on the downtown buses (that's probably the only benefit I had of taking the BM2 downtown buses; sometimes I would have the whole back section [last 3-4 rows] to myself)....

- Don't know about the downtown BM3's, but I see those super express BM3's almost SRO @ times.....

- The downtown BM4's are about 1/3 to 1/2 full (don't know about the super express BM4's either)

^^ (everything above, I'm talkin about AM weekday buses) ^^

- Don't know how the AM BM5's are, but the PM BM5's I find, vary in usage.... buses can have as little as 10 ppl heading back to brooklyn, but on other occasions, buses can be about 5 seats or so away from being SRO believe it or not.... Basically what I'm sayin is (from what I gather), ridership is not consistent on that route....

The BM5 in the AM is more consistent to Manhattan, because of a timely commute, compared to going back. All the BM5 to Manhattan are SRO, which makes me think if BM5 riders sometimes use the QM15 as an alternative, or vice versa, because I've seen several non-regulars on both buses. I've also notices riders flip flopping between the 5 and 15, especially on Saturdays (the Woodhaven stops are a chunk of the BM5 ridership, it all depends which comes first, the BM5 or the QM15, because both buses come delayed, the 15 by like 30 minutes compared to the 5 with a 7 minute delay, so a 15 may have like 12 riders and a 5 may have 3 riders, or vice versa).

PS: The QM15 being delayed on Saturdays always happens every weekend, so thats a reason why all the buses inbound after 1:00 PM are mainly only 2-3 riders per bus

The BM5 in the AM is more consistent to Manhattan, because of a timely commute, compared to going back. All the BM5 to Manhattan are SRO, which makes me think if BM5 riders sometimes use the QM15 as an alternative, or vice versa, because I've seen several non-regulars on both buses. 

Of course... As an express bus rider, you ALWAYS must have back up plans in place.  If I miss my BM3, I have several back up plans in place.  Same thing with any commute I do with the express bus and you also make sure you know the schedules, this way you're not running around.

Saved me a couple keystrokes....

Yea, that part of Flatbush Ave is pretty bad on weekdays, but my experience happened on the BM4, it was a midtown super express too, I get off before the 3 and 4 split in their routes.

Not gonna lie, when I first started riding the express bus I honestly thought it was faster than the subway, because of the slow run between Canal/Grand and Prospect Park S/B. Then one night I rode the BM a tad bit too late, and the midtown super express had ended and reality hit me lol.

Also, Coney Island Ave While leading up cortelyou Road can be pretty bad with the traffic, the BMs and 103s always get caught in that while waiting to make an left turn.

I think it depends on the driver too... My commute home is super quick because the drivers that I have know how to move.  Those Spring Creek B/O's some of them are just not aggressive enough for my taste.

Depending on where you live and get on yes and no. In any event, the subway gets delayed too.  You act like the subway doesn't incur problems.  I've been stuck on the subway during the AM and PM rush plenty of times. In fact I'd say over the years it's a common problem. I'd much rather be stuck on an express bus where at least I can relax, then being stuck on a subway where I'm usually packed like a sardine can having to stand with my bags and such.  Hell even during the non rush segments the subways of late have been horrendous.  I took the (A) the other day from 42nd and 59th... Took at least 10 minutes to go one stop on a so-called express train.

I commuted on the subway for like 6 years and the service only messed up like 3 times...

1) was one summer some freak thunderstorm caused a tree to fall on the tracks...

2) A (Q) train I was on went BIE, causing me to be late, if that never would have happen, I would have been on time.

3) The monday after a major weekend snowstorm messed up this particular signal on the Brighton line which kept causing the train to go BIE.

Riding the subway over six years on a daily basis and it only messed up three times, I'd say that pretty reliable.

And for your (A) ride being slow, If it was N/B, well the (A) is always slow on that part of the route and a (D) train might have been crossing in front of it. It if was S/B, must have been track workers or something cause the (A) is usually pretty fast going S/B.

with that being said, (B)/(Q) lines are very reliable and run smooth... never any problems with these lines other than the ones I mentioned.

Of course the subway gets delayed and has problems every now and then, I do read the "unplanned service changes" thread in the subway forum you know. 

Not gonna lie, when I first started riding the express bus I honestly thought it was faster than the subway, because of the slow run between Canal/Grand and Prospect Park S/B. Then one night I rode the BM a tad bit too late, and the midtown super express had ended and reality hit me lol.

Also, Coney Island Ave While leading up cortelyou Road can be pretty bad with the traffic, the BMs and 103s always get caught in that while waiting to make an left turn.

I commuted on the subway for like 6 years and the service only messed up like 3 times...

1) was one summer some freak thunderstorm caused a tree to fall on the tracks...

2) A (Q) train I was on went BIE, causing me to be late, if that never would have happen, I would have been on time.

3) The monday after a major weekend snowstorm messed up this particular signal on the Brighton line which kept causing the train to go BIE.

Riding the subway over six years on a daily basis and it only messed up three times, I'd say that pretty reliable.

And for your (A) ride being slow, If it was N/B, well the (A) is always slow on that part of the route and a (D) train might have been crossing in front of it. It if was S/B, must have been track workers or something cause the (A) is usually pretty fast going S/B.

with that being said, (B)/(Q) lines are very reliable and run smooth... never any problems with these lines other than the ones I mentioned.

Of course the subway gets delayed and has problems every now and then, I do read the "unplanned service changes" thread in the subway forum you know. 

Yes and at times the express bus can be faster than the (B)(Q) . I've been using the BM's for a good 7 years now and the (B)(Q) I've used for over 15 years since I used to live in Midwood and Sheepshead Bay.  Yeah they're relatively smooth, but quite frankly you couldn't pay me to use it unless the BM3 wasn't running. Once I found out about the BM3, I never turned back. The (B)(Q) would require me to make a few transfers which would eat up any so called "savings" I may get on the out of the subway.  Then there's the crowd factor, panhandling and other obnoxiousness that goes on with the subway.  Even if there is a delay on the express bus, it's no big deal. I've got music and I can still relax.

Not sure about the AM rush though. 

Why you think PM ridership is lower? People don't have time for that crap. The (B) is more reliable. However I am curious why is the B100 SRO crushed at rush? where do those pax get off at anyway? Why don't they use BM1?

Err you do realize the (A) isn't that reliable compared to other subway lines dude and no express bus actually duplicates the (A) directly except QM18 but we all know what ridership on that line is.

LMAO... Either way with regards to the women most of them are middle aged anyway... Once in a blue moon I see a nice looking young one on the Riverdale express buses, but on the BM3... Please... On Saturdays they're usually all old and if I take it during the week, it's mainly middle aged yenta types... Funny thing is late nights I see young chicks around my age on the BxM2, but necessarily hot or my type... A few nice looking Latinas but they're not regulars..

I have a regular that I sit behind on the BxM1 in the morning... Always snores then asks me if she snores.... I'm like I'm sure your husband tells you that. You don't need me to tell you that.  <_<

Wanna know why you don't see hot girls on the BM3? simple look at the subway cause that is where they are at LOL. They are on the (B) and (Q) that is why they are not on the BM3. 

Right, better lookin middle aged women; Wasn't tryna imply that there were hot young 20-somethings all over the place (you won't find that on any express route).... On the BM3, yeah, I do find that there are more seniors on that route (compared to the rest of the BM's)...

Far as saturdays go, although I don't do much weekend overtime anymore, I did notice more non-regulars taking the BM1/BM2 during the later afternoon hours back to Brooklyn.... Usually folks coming back from shopping in midtown that won't STFU, talkin all loud like they're on the local bus or on the subway.....

Err apparently you haven't used SI express buses much cause there are alot of hot 20 something ladies on the X1 and X17 sometimes the X10 and on many SI expresses. BM3 with seniors hmm not surprised seniors tend to crowd buses that are near the subway. Where is the majority of the BM3's ridership at during off-peak hours?

In the morning, yeh, my BM1 isn't too bad w/ the noise... You'll get your occasional wall st type talkin on his cell & what not, but I drown that out w/ my mp3 player anyway....

- By time we get to the prospect, the rider counts on the super express & the downtown BM1's look to be about the same.....

- I will say there's a stark difference b/w the two on the BM2 though; much more midtown riders than those on the downtown buses (that's probably the only benefit I had of taking the BM2 downtown buses; sometimes I would have the whole back section [last 3-4 rows] to myself)....

- Don't know about the downtown BM3's, but I see those super express BM3's almost SRO @ times.....

- The downtown BM4's are about 1/3 to 1/2 full (don't know about the super express BM4's either)

^^ (everything above, I'm talkin about AM weekday buses) ^^

- Don't know how the AM BM5's are, but the PM BM5's I find, vary in usage.... buses can have as little as 10 ppl heading back to brooklyn, but on other occasions, buses can be about 5 seats or so away from being SRO believe it or not.... Basically what I'm sayin is (from what I gather), ridership is not consistent on that route....

you don't put BM5 and consistent in the same sentence dude it's ridership fluctuates like crazy.

Geez, take it easy, you two. I was responding about there not being 20-somethings at all on expresses.

I think you should look in the mirror about taking it easy. ;)

We all agree that there are some 20-somethings on the SI expresses (while most of the riders are still middle-aged), then there's nothing for anybody to get worked up over (even if we disagreed, it wouldn't be worth getting worked up over, but whatever).

Err you do realize the (A) isn't that reliable compared to other subway lines dude and no express bus actually duplicates the (A) directly except QM18 but we all know what ridership on that line is.

The QM18 goes down Fulton Street & Liberty Avenue? Or its only stop in Queens is by Lefferts & Liberty?

Taking the Q10 to the (A) is relatively quick, but it's still no substitute for being within walking distance of the (A).

Err apparently you haven't used SI express buses much cause there are alot of hot 20 something ladies on the X1 and X17 sometimes the X10 and on many SI expresses.

There's a lot, but they aren't "all over the place", at least in terms of making up the majority of the ridership.

you don't put BM5 and consistent in the same sentence dude it's ridership fluctuates like crazy.

Which is basically reiterating what he just said.

We all agree that there are some 20-somethings on the SI expresses (while most of the riders are still middle-aged), then there's nothing for anybody to get worked up over (even if we disagreed, it wouldn't be worth getting worked up over, but whatever).

The QM18 goes down Fulton Street & Liberty Avenue? Or its only stop in Queens is by Lefferts & Liberty?

Taking the Q10 to the (A) is relatively quick, but it's still no substitute for being within walking distance of the (A).

There's a lot, but they aren't "all over the place", at least in terms of making up the majority of the ridership.

Which is basically reiterating what he just said.

QM18 doesn't directly duplicate any subway line but is no faster than the Q10 LTD to the subway (E)(F) or (A) .

Geez, take it easy, you two. I was responding about there not being 20-somethings at all on expresses.

....except I never said nor implicated there weren't hot young 20-somethings at all on expresses.

"Wasn't tryna imply that there were hot young 20-somethings all over the place (you won't find that on any express route)"

...is not the equivalent of "there not being 20-somethings at all on expresses"... That would be a mischaracterization of what I said...

As for the "Saved me a couple keystrokes" comment, I wasn't gonna fire off at you or anything like that.....

All I meant by that was, Checkmate clarified what I meant....That's all... So it's not about taking it easy.

That's the thing with all this... I thought that particular side-side-side (lol) discussion was dead.... Wasn't expecting anything to result from "saved me a couple keystrokes" - especially that type of reaction..... It's almost like he replied as such because we (well, you) pointed out that his reply to my comment wasn't the message I was conveying.... Only other thing I could think of that would warrant such a reaction was what I already alluded to, above to him....

It would be stupid for me to say/convey that there are no 20-somethings at all on express buses.

Wanna know why you don't see hot girls on the BM3? simple look at the subway cause that is where they are at LOL. They are on the (B) and (Q) that is why they are not on the BM3. 

Err apparently you haven't used SI express buses much cause there are alot of hot 20 something ladies on the X1 and X17 sometimes the X10 and on many SI expresses. BM3 with seniors hmm not surprised seniors tend to crowd buses that are near the subway. Where is the majority of the BM3's ridership at during off-peak hours?

1) I personally don't care why they aren't on the BM3, or where they're at on whatever public transportation mode.....

2) Of course I have - Enough for me to tell you there being a lot of hot 20 somethings on the x1/10/17 is a blatant embellishment.....

I'll even take the subjective/adjective "hot" part out of the equation - You aint fin to see a bunch of 20 year old chicks like that on the express......

BM3 off peak ridership is scattered along ocean & parts of sheepshead; there is no one stop or particular area you can gauge a majority from.....

3) You just put em in the same sentence..... Try practicing what you preach.

However I am curious why is the B100 SRO crushed at rush? where do those pax get off at anyway? Why don't they use BM1?

- Why is the B100 "SRO crushed" (lol) during the rush?

You got the Madison HS kids (for starters) & the masses going to/coming from the Brighton line (which includes ppl. coming off the 44).....

Now I don't know if service got any better on that line, but the 100 used to have the problem of buses running few & far between......

- Where do those pax get off anyway?

I'm hoping you mean in general..... In what direction of travel are you inquiring about anyway?

- Why don't B100 riders use the BM1?

Think about it - maybe because you have those that take the B100 that aren't going to/coming from Mill Basin..... maybe because those that are taking B100's to the subway aren't going to Manhattan.... maybe it's a cost issue....

Take the Express bus as much as you can. When I come in from New Jersey I walk from Port Authority to 5th Ave and take the X28 to Bay Ridge. Point being: it may cost $12 round trip (for all express buses), but you get the bang for your buck so to speak....

Take the Express bus as much as you can. When I come in from New Jersey I walk from Port Authority to 5th Ave and take the X28 to Bay Ridge. Point being: it may cost $12 round trip (for all express buses), but you get the bang for your buck so to speak....

yep.... I actually have a routine when I come from fanning in NJ or w/e....

What I do (from PABT) is walk down 8th av to 30th st, then shoot on over to 5th av for the BM's (Bm1,2,3 or 4) || (5th/30th stop) back to brooklyn.... I could walk over to the 39th st stop, but there's too many pedestrians walking around, coming from 42nd st, etc. and what not..... Once you get south of the empire state bldg. along 5th av, pedestrian/crowding isn't near as bad..... that's why I gun for the 30th st stop.....

yep.... I actually have a routine when I come from fanning in NJ or w/e....

What I do (from PABT) is walk down 8th av to 30th st, then shoot on over to 5th av for the BM's (Bm1,2,3 or 4) || (5th/30th stop) back to brooklyn.... I could walk over to the 39th st stop, but there's too many pedestrians walking around, coming from 42nd st, etc. and what not..... Once you get south of the empire state bldg. along 5th av, pedestrian/crowding isn't near as bad..... that's why I gun for the 30th st stop.....

lol.... The problem with the stops south of 39th is I've seen people almost bypassed.  That stop over by West 26th & 5th, I've seen a few people almost bypassed there, me included, the one time I waited there.  The stops where you can sort of avoid the crowds are actually along 57th street believe it or not as there are fewer tourists east of Madison Avenue.

lol.... The problem with the stops south of 39th is I've seen people almost bypassed.  That stop over by West 26th & 5th, I've seen a few people almost bypassed there, me included, the one time I waited there.  The stops where you can sort of avoid the crowds are actually along 57th street believe it or not as there are fewer tourists east of Madison Avenue.

I'm assuming you're not counting the stops along 23rd st when you say that.... With that into consideration, I'll agree.

- The 26th stop, I've always wondered why that's even a stop for any of the BM's, TBH.... all this time of seeing and riding the BM's, I have yet to see much of anyone waiting over there (on the same side of a 7-11) for any of the expresses....

- The 30th st stop sees more usage than 26th, but I have seen people bypassed at that stop also.....

Basically what I'm sayin is, if you don't see any noticable crowd at 30th, you're gonna see a noticable crowd over at the stop after 26th, which is that stop over by park av/23rd (coincidentally, across the street from a different 7-11... lol)..... Neither of those two stops (26th, 30th) sees the usage that 39th does - expect to see a line of ppl. waiting for w/e BM bus during the PM rush....

I'm assuming you're not counting the stops along 23rd st when you say that.... With that into consideration, I'll agree.

- The 26th stop, I've always wondered why that's even a stop for any of the BM's, TBH.... all this time of seeing and riding the BM's, I have yet to see much of anyone waiting over there (on the same side of a 7-11) for any of the expresses....

- The 30th st stop sees more usage than 26th, but I have seen people bypassed at that stop also.....

Basically what I'm sayin is, if you don't see any noticable crowd at 30th, you're gonna see a noticable crowd over at the stop after 26th, which is that stop over by park av/23rd (coincidentally, across the street from a different 7-11... lol)..... Neither of those two stops (26th, 30th) sees the usage that 39th does - expect to see a line of ppl. waiting for w/e BM bus during the PM rush....

lol... Yes I most certainly am not because any of those stops along 23rd can be problematic because there isn't a so called "area" for BM riders to really stand.  The M23 riders pretty much just stand all over the place and at those stops if you don't see the B/O making any sort of signal or coming over at all you have to put your hand out.  It's actually a big problem and REALLY annoying.  It's an issue in Brooklyn too along Ocean Avenue and more times than not I find myself putting my hand out to tell the B/O to stop which is what other passengers have to do as well. The only time you don't have to worry as much is if you're in Brooklyn and standing at an Express bus pick up only stop where no other buses are picking up.  It's like God damn, they're losing runs out of Spring Creek and you would think they would WANT to pick us up!!  <_< Instead they just assume no one wants the damn bus.  Like what is up with that?  Spring Creek has to be the worst depot in terms of assuming passengers don't want the bus. I don't know what their logic is but I have to hail for BM buses far more than any other depot that I've used that has express bus runs.

You're right about the amount of passengers at the other stops.  I think that 39th street stop is popular because of the shopping nearby and restaurants as well.  It's kind of centrally located if you will.  What's funny is that 57th and 2nd can get a bit of passengers too which I was surprised by.

lol... Yes I most certainly am not because any of those stops along 23rd can be problematic because there isn't a so called "area" for BM riders to really stand.  The M23 riders pretty much just stand all over the place and at those stops if you don't see the B/O making any sort of signal or coming over at all you have to put your hand out.  It's actually a big problem and REALLY annoying.  It's an issue in Brooklyn too along Ocean Avenue and more times than not I find myself putting my hand out to tell the B/O to stop which is what other passengers have to do as well. The only time you don't have to worry as much is if you're in Brooklyn and standing at an Express bus pick up only stop where no other buses are picking up.  It's like God damn, they're losing runs out of Spring Creek and you would think they would WANT to pick us up!!  <_< Instead they just assume no one wants the damn bus.  Like what is up with that?  Spring Creek has to be the worst depot in terms of assuming passengers don't want the bus. I don't know what their logic is but I have to hail for BM buses far more than any other depot that I've used that has express bus runs.

You're right about the amount of passengers at the other stops.  I think that 39th street stop is popular because of the shopping nearby and restaurants as well.  It's kind of centrally located if you will.  What's funny is that 57th and 2nd can get a bit of passengers too which I was surprised by.

You mean, you certainly are including those stops (on 23rd) - If you're making the case that there isn't a separate area for express bus riders to stand..... Yeah, sometimes I use the 23rd/park stop if I'm in midtown, and you do see M23 riders scattered around all over the bus shelter there.... What I will say though is, I can't say that I've noticed ppl. getting bypassed on the 23rd st stops, esp. compared to 26th & 30th......

As far as the rest of what you said here..... I hail any express bus I take out of force of habit, so I wouldn't know which depot's b/o's are the worst w/ assuming that pax don't want the bus.....

As for 39th st SB, I think it's probably the most utilized stop on the BM's (north of 23rd anyway, including the 23rd st stops)....

aren't you better off taking the (N)(R) or (Q) to 14th street to catch up with an x28 futher down it's route? If you have an unlimited monthly or local weekly your express bus ppr cost goes down to $3.50 now due to updated transfer policies.

Archived