14 year old shot and killed on Q6 in Queens.

RockParkH

"Bullet Kills Girl, 14, Riding M.T.A. Bus in Queens

By THE NEW YORK TIMES

May 18, 2013

A 14-year-old girl was shot in the head and killed on Saturday evening as she rode a Metropolitan Transportation Authority bus in Queens, the police said.A police spokesman said it appeared the gunman was outside the bus, a Q6, and intentionally fired at it, though it was unclear why. The spokesman would not say whether the 14-year-old was the target.The girl, who was not immediately identified, was taken to Jamaica Hospital Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead.The shooting occurred about 9 p.m. in front of 125-30 Sutphin Boulevard in South Jamaica, the police said. As of Saturday evening, no arrests had been made."

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/05/19/nyregion/bullet-kills-girl-14-riding-mta-bus-in-queens.html

My father was on that bus coming from work but luckily got of a few stops back. He saw what happened then called me. Unbelievable how something like that could happen.

Scary and sad. I just hope that area isn't turning into a war zone. Isn't it the same area a kid was shot dead on a q113?

I think the other area was closer to Jamaica proper (I think it was the northern part of Guy R.Brewer). This was all the way down by Rockaway Blvd, but in both of those cases, it was some nut job who fired the gun (so it wasn't anything gang-related or anything). It's a shame that a routine thing like taking a bus home can turn into such a tragedy (especially at such a young age).

My condolences go out to the family.

EDIT: Actually, I found an article that said that the Q113 incident was in Far Rockaway, and the Q111 incident happened right by Parsons/Archer at 4PM on a weekday, which is really scary if you ask me.

125-30.... 125th/sutphin.... yeah, that's down there around baisley gardens, where the 6 meets up w/ the 7..... I never liked that stop over there by that park anyway (although that's the NB stop @ rockaway blvd); had to wait over there a few times for the 6 after coming off the 7....

Anyway, highly doubt that girl was the target; wouldn't be surprised if that was some a**hole bustin off shots for the f*ck of it.....

Hate to put it like this, but this is that time of the year where you're gonna get nzzzzz's actin like nzzzzz's.....

Absolutely disgusting.....

125-30.... 125th/sutphin.... yeah, that's down there around baisley gardens, where the 6 meets up w/ the 7..... I never liked that stop over there by that park anyway (although that's the NB stop @ rockaway blvd); had to wait over there a few times for the 6 after coming off the 7....

Anyway, highly doubt that girl was the target; wouldn't be surprised if that was some a**hole bustin off shots for the f*ck of it.....

Hate to put it like this, but this is that time of the year where you're gonna get nzzzzz's actin like nzzzzz's.....

Absolutely disgusting.....

Guess my teacher was right when she said until the start of summer is when "all hell breaks loose"

Oh damn it was on a New C40LF too. I feel sorry for the family and I hope they feel better soon. I don't really like going down in South Jamaica especially on the Q6, Q111 and Q113 I always believe something's going to happen.

I also condolences to her families, friends, and relatives.

Speaking of incident, when I was living in Ralph's apartment in 1771 1st Av in Yorkville with my mom, I remember my best buddyy, (deceaded long time ago). At that time there was gas station street exist at 92nd St, and MTA bus stop for M15/M31/M86 was at 91st St. When I was going to C-town for errand, I heard gun shot next door deli and gun bullet hit the gas tank across the street where gas station used to be and it exploded. Good thing it wasn't bus. Properly next door deli got robbed by armed gunmen. Next door deli was good friends of our. At that time, I didn't know what I had to do. Ralph told me I had to fill in report because I witness the accident. Even thought I was very good with writing witness report, I did and I handed to police officer who came to scene.

SMH... why would people do such things. My condolences go to the family. (and my condolence is the fifth)

If I had to ask, I think that she was targeted, either as a gang member or refusing to join one. Someone had to say that she was on the bus..

Insane... I was always under the impression that the windows were bullet proof, esp. since I've seen bullet piercings on some buses before... Those bullets went clean through the window... It's a damn shame when you can't even ride on the bus in peace. 

I'm surprised as well...I would not be surprised if the gunman pressed the gun against the windows of the bus. The windows can be replaced; her life cannot be (RIP).

I'm surprised as well...I would not be surprised if the gunman pressed the gun against the windows of the bus. The windows can be replaced; her life cannot be (RIP).

Who cares about the windows... My point was I was under the impression that they were bullet proof to avoid tragedies like this... Three holes through the same window....

Guess my teacher was right when she said until the start of summer is when "all hell breaks loose"

yup.... if it's anyone that would know about all hell breaking loose in the summer, it would be a teacher !

Who cares about the windows... My point was I was under the impression that they were bullet proof to avoid tragedies like this... Three holes through the same window....

Lol.... Well at least no one seriously asked if the bus is alright....

Seriously though, I figured the windows weren't bulletproof... But now that I see that picture there, something's rotten in the state of denmark.... either someone fired from inside the bus or there were two shooters firing from both sides of the bus.... I don't think the larger hole though was shot from someone pressing a gun up against the window though; looks like that was a shot taken a couple feet away....

My friend was on that bus and had called to tell me what happened. Crazy stuff.

Condolences to the family.

Just noticed this post..... What did the friend say happened ?

Seriously though, I figured the windows weren't bulletproof... But now that I see that picture there, something's rotten in the state of denmark.... either someone fired from inside the bus or there were two shooters firing from both sides of the bus.... I don't think the larger hole though was shot from someone pressing a gun up against the window though; looks like that was a shot taken a couple feet away....

Yeah that's what I thought... That the shots were taken from a few feet away... I said that because I've seen quite a few MCI's on Staten Island with windows that were clearly pierced from bullets hitting the window... 

They had to be close range bullets; that is, someone had to want her dead specifically. There is a bus stop in front of 125-30 Sutphin Boulevard. That is why I believe that the gun may have been pressed against the glass.

Two of the 3 bullet marks appear to be fired from inside the bus, however.

Sad thing is, people have actually done that in the past.

================================================

In any case, here's two more articles about the shooting.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Girl-Killed-Crossfire-Bus-Queens-Sutphin-Boulevard-Q6-208030591.html

Says the bus was shot from the outside (at least, I assume that's what they mean by "shot towards the bus") while it was moving, and it was a stray bullet.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/14-year-old-girl-shot-killed-riding-bus-queens-article-1.1348236

This one says the bus was shot while it was stopped (which is what most other papers said), and some people were following her before the shots were fired. (So if that's true, I guess she got on by Rockaway Blvd, and as the bus pulled off, they shot at her).

The discussion about the windows reminds me of a few years ago when I rode this bus in the BX and the neighborhood kids was using the bus as target practice. The kids threw some black, rockish like object at the bus and it easily went through the glass and parts of the object went flying all over the bus. Nobody got hurt though.

It kinda sucked because the bus was a 96 Diesel Orion V and at the time, they was kind of rare on WF routes and the B/O made everyone get off, after calling control or w/e the B/O let everyone back on but the bus was drop off only from there on out, which was pretty cool as I had the entire bus to myself from some point after we passed the (4) train to the heights  :D

And the kid threw the object from the front of his building, across the sidewalk and the street, into the bus. So its not far fetched that the shooter shot this bus from a distance.

If I had to ask, I think that she was targeted, either as a gang member or refusing to join one. Someone had to say that she was on the bus..

They were just shooting in the area, she was coming from a sweet 16. I knew her.. Smh.

Archived