My journey through the entire subway system

lupojohn

So I decided to take a couple of weeks to tour every station on every line in the system with the exception of the Rockaway stations that were closed, Smith 9th Streets, South Ferry and Knickerbocker Avenue. I had almost 1000 pictures, but they were destroyed when my phone got waterlogged on a rainy day. I plan to do this again with all the above stations now opened, plus some pictures, haha. Here are some highlights I remember:

The (H) was awesome. Far Rock-Mott is maybe my favorite station in the system. The views are incredible along this line. I remember helping a family get to a certain stop on there. Very rewarding. Going back before normal (A) service resumes.

I really enjoyed the ride on the (G). Quiet, empty and just pleasant. I just wonder they dont make it an 8 or 10 car train since the train was pulling up short on a lot of stops.

Broadway Junction is another one of my favorites. The transfer from the (L) to the (J) and the view of the stations from one to the other is really neat. Those escalators are steep, though.

I'll be updating this, so stay tuned.

The (G) is a controversial line. We have a topic on it. Some say that longer trains aren't needed, others say the exact opposite.

Can't wait for your pictures of the system though! :)

I'll stress, anyone who says the (G) doesn't need longer trains has never used it at rush hour. As for the train pulling up short, this is because the 6-car marker at most station is positioned in the middle of the platform near the exits. Most of the time there's no problem.

Hopefully in your second run through the pictures stay intact. I'd actually recommend going back after normal (A) service resumes so you can also catch Broad Channel now that they finally rehabbed it.

I'll stress, anyone who says the (G) doesn't need longer trains has never used it at rush hour. As for the train pulling up short, this is because the 6-car marker at most station is positioned in the middle of the platform near the exits. Most of the time there's no problem.

Hopefully in your second run through the pictures stay intact. I'd actually recommend going back after normal (A) service resumes so you can also catch Broad Channel now that they finally rehabbed it.

I've used it at rush hour and I think it doesn't need longer trains. It looks just like the (4)(5)(6). Which is fine since the stations most people get off between terminals are 4 Av-9 St, Hoyt-Schermerhorn, Bedford-Nostrand, and Metropolitan. Which are all pretty evenly spaced.

Damn, sucks about the damaged phone. That's why you should always copy or offload and make copies of the images on the computer. 1000 pics? I'd be fuming like hell if I lost that many in an instant.

By stations, you mean just the platforms or also some parts of the area past the turnstiles?

Damn, sucks about the damaged phone. That's why you should always copy or offload and make copies of the images on the computer. 1000 pics? I'd be fuming like hell if I lost that many in an instant.By stations, you mean just the platforms or also some parts of the area past the turnstiles?

You're right and both.

I've used it at rush hour and I think it doesn't need longer trains. It looks just like the (4)(5)(6). Which is fine since the stations most people get off between terminals are 4 Av-9 St, Hoyt-Schermerhorn, Bedford-Nostrand, and Metropolitan. Which are all pretty evenly spaced.

Actually the (G) is nothing like the 4/5 and 6 during rush hours. Many times I have to wait for the second or third train on the Lexington line. When I have used the (G) during rush hours I usually can get a spot on the train. With that said, I have to agree with Threxx; the G needs a full length, 8 car, train. Many areas around the crosstown line are growing very fast such as Flushing ave., Greenpoint, and long island city, just to name a few and in-order to facilitate this growth the MTA has to increase capacity if they want that line to be fully utilized. 

Actually the (G) is nothing like the 4/5 and 6 during rush hours. Many times I have to wait for the second or third train on the Lexington line. When I have used the (G) during rush hours I usually can get a spot on the train. With that said, I have to agree with Threxx; the G needs a full length, 8 car, train. Many areas around the crosstown line are growing very fast such as Flushing ave., Greenpoint, and long island city, just to name a few and in-order to facilitate this growth the MTA has to increase capacity if they want that line to be fully utilized. 

The line can never technically be fully utilized. The only line that could even have made those words possible, with a certain transfer station,  was never built. Greenpoint and LIC are in range of the B43, B62, (E)(M)(N)(Q)(7). Flushing Avenue has the B57, (J)(M)(Z) in walking distance as well. The people who move into these "growing" areas will almost always be going to Manhattan and connections to that borough are available without even having to take the (G).

Greenpoint and LIC are about to be in for a BIG surprise once the Newtown Creek tube project begins.......

No (G) service north of Nassau Ave or Greenpoint Ave? Unless that crossover b/w those two stations on the NYCsubway.org track map is not really there.

No (G) service north of Nassau Ave or Greenpoint Ave? Unless that crossover b/w those two stations on the NYCsubway.org track map is not really there.

The crossover exists - they do a single-tracking when they operate through the tube. I've been on those trains, and also note the service change already posted. The last line tells the tale. 

G.png Trains run every 20 minutes between Court Sq and Bedford-Nostrand Avs 

Weekend, 5 AM to 11:59 PM, Saturday, Jun 8 

The last stop for alternate trains headed toward Court Sq is Bedford-Nostrand Avs. 

• Transfer at Bedford-Nostrand Avs to continue your trip. 

Note: At Greenpoint Av, all trains board at the Church Av-bound platform.

What's frustrating about this GO is that they don't run a full 8-car train between Church and Bed-Nostrand. 

They're halving the service level - they might as well double the capacity of the train. 

But they don't - they run a 4 car shuttle. And it's packed. 

Actually come to think of it it's not a shuttle, half the trains just turn at bedford nostrand. Still, the ones that continue past should be 8 cars. 

The line can never technically be fully utilized. The only line that could even have made those words possible, with a certain transfer station,  was never built. Greenpoint and LIC are in range of the B43, B62, (E)(M)(N)(Q)(7). Flushing Avenue has the B57, (J)(M)(Z) in walking distance as well. The people who move into these "growing" areas will almost always be going to Manhattan and connections to that borough are available without even having to take the (G).

While I do agree that there are chances that many people will take trains to Manhattan from that area, you never know for sure. Do you know all those people that are moving there and that they all want Manhattan service?

Thanks for all the comments, guys. Now that the weather is better, i'll start my run again. Going to do the (H) before normal service resumes, then hit up the Rockaway stations that were closed. Will also do the South Ferry Loop in the next week or so.

No trains between Nassau & Court Square for 12-14 months once this tube project gets started. Enjoy.

No, the Newtown Creek tube has been on its last legs since it got flooded in Sandy, and needs a complete gutting. Same with the Montague tubes. Service will get cut back to Nassau (and split service on the (R) again) once that project gets started (no ETA yet, they're still getting the funding together for it)

Thanks. I took the split (R) service during my first trip through the subway. Was very crowded and Canal(where I got the (R) to Brooklyn) had a leak, which i'm sure they got fixed. Very narrow platform. Gotta do the (R) before it gets split up again.

No trains between Nassau & Court Square for 12-14 months once this tube project gets started. Enjoy.

Jesus H Christ that's awful. They can't work on 1 tube at a time? 

Although on the other hand if they run the shuttle busses to queens plaza it will make my life easier. 

Come to think of it it will make my work commute easier on the M from the lack of G riders on the train to transfer. 

Carry on. 

Archived