Politicians furious over Bronx bus company's 'Ghetto' tour

Via Garibaldi 8

• By CANDICE M. GIOVE
  • Last Updated: 9:42 AM, May 19, 2013
  • Posted: 10:48 PM, May 18, 2013

Tourists are crowding onto a Bronx bus tour that promises “a ride through a real New York City ‘GHETTO’ ” — and local politicians are furious.

Three times a week, Real Bronx Tours takes riders — mainly white Europeans and Australians — on a trip that includes stops at food-pantry lines and a “pickpocket” park.

Last week, on the first stop of the $45 tour, guide Lynn Battaglia, from Pittsburgh, pointed out a housing project. She then mocked the Grand Concourse, modeled after a Parisian boulevard.

“Do you feel like we’re on the Champs-Elysées?” she teased a couple from Paris.

19.1n002.bronxtour1--300x450.jpg
Angel Chevrestt
SORRY SIGHT: Lynn Battaglia, a guide for Real Bronx Tours, points out sights on East 148th Street.

As the bus idled across from historic St. Ann’s Episcopalian Church, Battaglia launched into a description of the crime, poverty and violence that plagued the South Bronx during the 1970s recession.

As she spoke, a line of two dozen poor people — including one man visibly agitated by the onlookers — waited for handouts from the church pantry.

“I don’t know what that line’s about, but every Wednesday we see it,” Battaglia told the tourists. “We see them go in with empty carts, and we see them come out with carts full.”

The bus stopped in front of St. Mary’s Park, where she credited Mayor Rudy Giuliani for curbing crime.

“If it were 1980 and you said to me, ‘Lynn, I want to die.’ My answer would be, ‘You’re in the right neighborhood,’ ” she said.

She suggested the park is still dangerous.

“I might encourage you to walk with a New Yorker, not because you’re going to get shot, just because sometimes people take advantage if they know you’re a tourist, either charge you too much or maybe someone would pick your pocket,” she said.

The group listened as the bus swung onto East 140th Street, where Battaglia claimed the derogatory use of the word “pig” for police officer was born.

“The policeman, his name is Patty, and he would walk up and down that street, and if he ran into an alcoholic, he’d beat them mercilessly. So they’d call him ‘Patty the Pig,’ ” she said.

The Online Etymology Dictionary says the slang originated in London in 1811.

Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz slammed the guide as “the biggest fool on the planet.”

“They should tell people about The Bronx that we all know, and that’s The Bronx that’s had the lowest crime rate since 1963 last year,” he said.

“To have foreigners come and gawk at a long line of people who are less fortunate than they are and to make money off of that and to view them as they are some sort of entertainment is pretty disgusting.”

Real Bronx Tours did not respond to a request for comment.

Source: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/bronx/ghetto_gawking_ffMgfDAaCD76GXNYDrth7L?utm_content=bufferbe5cd&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

I don't know what I find more ridiculous, the fact that this tour operation exists at all and is able to turn profit, or the fact that these people are paying $45 for this crap and eat it up.

I honestly think that if these tours keep going on in the Bronx, the residents in those areas may become violent.  I mean seriously... You've got these rich Europeans and Australians who already are taught that the Bronx is a ghetto and a dangerous place coming on these tours and now they get to "study" the specimens up close and in person.  I put it that way because that's exactly what they're doing.  I have plenty of European friends and they all think of the Bronx as being a big ghetto because that's what they hear about New York when people talk about the Bronx.  It's one thing to joke about the place and another to take people on tours to show them how other people are struggling to make ends meet.  

I'm not diverging into the "ghetto" arguement, but if you want to see the Bronx at it's finest just hop on the Bx12 and ride down Pelham Parkway. No need for this $45 shit of a tour.

Does the trip include authentic cuisine like Crown Fried Chicken and Golden Krust?  You know, if you want to give them that whole immersive experience...

lol... I'm sure they must have them in the so called boogie down parts of the Bronx.  I can't think of one place in Riverdale that has a chicken joint... All we have are boring fast food places like "Subway" the so called healthy places... lol  In nice areas of the Bronx like Morris Park, I didn't see any chicken places either...

I honestly think that if these tours keep going on in the Bronx, the residents in those areas may become violent.  I mean seriously... You've got these rich Europeans and Australians who already are taught that the Bronx is a ghetto and a dangerous place coming on these tours and now they get to "study" the specimens up close and in person.  I put it that way because that's exactly what they're doing.  I have plenty of European friends and they all think of the Bronx as being a big ghetto because that's what they hear about New York when people talk about the Bronx.  It's one thing to joke about the place and another to take people on tours to show them how other people are struggling to make ends meet.  

lol, like they don't have enough 'dangers' from the African Savanah and the animals there that they need another 'life or death thrill'... But yeah, this has bad taste written all over it. I hope that if one of those tourists gets hurt, they sue the tour guide for everything.

lol, like they don't have enough 'dangers' from the African Savanah and the animals there that they need another 'life or death thrill'... But yeah, this has bad taste written all over it. I hope that if one of those tourists gets hurt, they sue the tour guide for everything.

The funny thing is we have tour guides here in Riverdale and they're a 360 from the tours in the Bronx.  They're all historical in nature and often times are nature tours as well through Wave Hill or some of the other historical estates/mansions in Fieldston.  Those Europeans and Australians would be bored out of their mind coming up here...  :lol:

I live in the Bronx- tenements and projects are the main type of architecture in my neighborhood.  During the warmer months at about 2 AM, one can hear the sound of car windows being smashed and decrepit freight trains flat-wheeling along the river.  There is an several-block stretch in my neighborhood that hosts a Popeye's, an International House of Pancakes, a Conway's, a KFC, an 'urban-African store', and a thrift store.  The other day I heard the phrase "soo woo" echo through the streets.  In other words, Ruben Diaz can take his crime statistics and shove them. 

I live in the Bronx- tenements and projects are the main type of architecture in my neighborhood.  During the warmer months at about 2 AM, one can hear the sound of car windows being smashed and decrepit freight trains flat-wheeling along the river.  There is an several-block stretch in my neighborhood that hosts a Popeye's, an International House of Pancakes, a Conway's, a KFC, an 'urban-African store', and a thrift store.  The other day I heard the phrase "soo woo" echo through the streets.  In other words, Ruben Diaz can take his crime statistics and shove them. 

LMAO!!  :lol:

FWIW, here's a couple of links about the tour:

http://www.realbronxtours.com/tours.html

http://www.newyorkpass.com/En/new-york-attractions/tickets/Real-Bronx-Tour/

To be fair, it does show more than just the ghetto parts of The Bronx. But on the other hand, she shouldn't be making a show of other people's misery when she does go into the ghetto parts.

I'm not diverging into the "ghetto" arguement, but if you want to see the Bronx at it's finest just hop on the Bx12 and ride down Pelham Parkway. No need for this $45 shit of a tour.

The Bx12 doesn't really pass through a whole lot of real ghetto parts. Maybe University Heights, but that's not particularly run-down or anything. (Of course, if you actually mean "at it's finest", then it does pass by the Bronx Zoo, Bronx Park, Pelham Bay Park, Fordham shopping district, etc, so it is a fairly good route from a tourist standpoint).

FWIW, here's a couple of links about the tour:

http://www.realbronxtours.com/tours.html

http://www.newyorkpass.com/En/new-york-attractions/tickets/Real-Bronx-Tour/

To be fair, it does show more than just the ghetto parts of The Bronx. But on the other hand, she shouldn't be making a show of other people's misery when she does go into the ghetto parts.

The Bx12 doesn't really pass through a whole lot of real ghetto parts. Maybe University Heights, but that's not particularly run-down or anything. (Of course, if you actually mean "at it's finest", then it does pass by the Bronx Zoo, Bronx Park, Pelham Bay Park, Fordham shopping district, etc, so it is a fairly good route from a tourist standpoint).

LOL, I literally meant at it's best. :lol:

The Pelham Parkway isn't a bad corridor compared to others, quite honestly. Still though, some run down parts as mentioned.

Does the trip include authentic cuisine like Crown Fried Chicken and Golden Krust?  You know, if you want to give them that whole immersive experience...

Hey now, Golden Krust isn't so bad, I love beef patties! LOL  Shame though I only do see them located in rougher neighborhoods.

Truly despicable scheme here but Joe and Phantom nailed it.

Hey now, Golden Krust isn't so bad, I love beef patties! LOL  Shame though I only do see them located in rougher neighborhoods.

It's cultural and socio-economics at play.  I personally don't think I've even seen a Golden Krust before let alone eat at one.  Usually the higher the income, the more self conscious they are and the more educated they are about food, so that's why I guess I've never had fried chicken places or any of these grease joints in any neighborhood I've lived in.  Instead we always have a Subway or some health joint in the neighborhood.

Hey now, Golden Krust isn't so bad, I love beef patties! LOL Shame though I only do see them located in rougher neighborhoods.

I checked the locations on Google Maps, and there's a couple in Downtown Brooklyn, one at 14th & 6th, one at 23rd & Park, one by Grand Central, one by 8th & 40th, one in Parkchester, one in Baychester, one in Sunnyside (Queens), one in Canarsie, one in Flatlands, and one in Starrett City. Then there's the ones in the general Crown Heights/Flatbush/East Flatbush areas, and those areas aren't too bad. (Actually, I listed most of the locations in NYC) So you don't have to go to the ghetto to get beef patties. ;)

Crown Fried Chicken places tend to be located in ghetto areas, but Golden Krust, nah.

It's cultural and socio-economics at play. I personally don't think I've even seen a Golden Krust before let alone eat at one. Usually the higher the income, the more self conscious they are and the more educated they are about food, so that's why I guess I've never had fried chicken places or any of these grease joints in any neighborhood I've lived in. Instead we always have a Subway or some health joint in the neighborhood.

There's a Golden Krust at Victory & Bay. Actually for fried chicken places, I'm pretty sure there's a fried chicken place by Forest & Broadway. (I know it sells fried chicken. It might be some kind of deli or something) Plus there's a Planet Wings at Forest & Bard, and as much as you deny that the West Brighton Houses are in West Brighton, there's a Crown Fried Chicken across the street on Broadway.

Shit, I haven't seen a single chicken & waffles place up here in my 2 years upstate, yet when I lived in Harlem there was one not even a block away. I hear there's a place, but it's out in Schenectady or someplace like that, and while I may love chicken and waffles  I don't like it enough to go 20 miles for it. Oh well, at least there's that KFC/Taco Bell down the street!  :D Although there are very few deli's up here, (at least in my neighborhood  which is a real shame. I miss Harlem. :(

But anyways, when I first started reading this article, I started dying, I mean is it wrong I find this hilarious, and completely ironic? Seriously, somebody should go mug them, and then bill them for it, for their services in providing the "true experience"!  :D

Archived