New Parking and Street Signage

Eh 50 feet is a bit exaggerated, some of the older signs are blocked by trucks or SUV's and what not and would still have to walk up to see it.

I guess the new signs are better in some sense, some people never really read the Commercial Parking only signs correctly in Manhattan at least.

It won't bother me as a driver if and when they change the signs.  Though I'd wish they change the street signs for private blocks to be more visible, a lot of them ARE covered by trees in the summer times.

So after 20 years, DOT has finally come to its senses and has decided to allow two lanes to exit the FDR for the Brooklyn Bridge, where about 90 percent of the traffic is destined, instead of forcing cars to unnecessarily merge into a single lane only to separate back into two lanes after the merge. The change will be made in 2014...

... The biggest crime here is that all it will take to add that extra lane exiting the FDR to enter the Brooklyn Bridge is just some re-striping and the removal of bollards, which never should have been placed there in the first place. No new construction is even necessary. Yet we still will have to wait another year while countless drivers continue to suffer unnecessarily as they have done for decades and decades because of sheer stupidity.

I drove down the FDR twice in the past month and can say with absolute certainty that the change has already been made.  Going southbound on the FDR, the two right lanes are now exit only and the left lane goes straight.  The overhead signs were also changed to reflect this and now say "EXIT ONLY" and have two arrows pointing down at each lane.  It just amazes me at how all of a sudden everything moves smoothly and there isn't any more backlog onto the highway.

Eh 50 feet is a bit exaggerated, some of the older signs are blocked by trucks or SUV's and what not and would still have to walk up to see it.

I guess the new signs are better in some sense, some people never really read the Commercial Parking only signs correctly in Manhattan at least.

It won't bother me as a driver if and when they change the signs. Though I'd wish they change the street signs for private blocks to be more visible, a lot of them ARE covered by trees in the summer times.

50 feet is the distance I estimate without obstructions. The newer signs are better but the font should be as large as the old signs and no need for a condensed font which is harder to read just to have more white space. The only time you shoud use condensed font is if you can't fit everything in and don't want to go to A smaller font. There is just no need for it here.

I drove down the FDR twice in the past month and can say with absolute certainty that the change has already been made. Going southbound on the FDR, the two right lanes are now exit only and the left lane goes straight. The overhead signs were also changed to reflect this and now say "EXIT ONLY" and have two arrows pointing down at each lane. It just amazes me at how all of a sudden everything moves smoothly and there isn't any more backlog onto the highway.

I was owing by the news story on TV that said it would go into effect in 2014. I really think they intended to change it after congestion pricing took effect to give the illusion it significantly reduced traffic.

Archived