Is anyone a sign "foamer"?

VWM

I don't know if it's just me... I foam over all types of signs. From symbols to big green exit signs. So, does anyone share this opinion?

I'm not familiar with the word "foamer," but, in regards to street signs, I am a vintage New York City street sign enthusiast and collector. I've always been fascinated by them for as long as I could remember. Today, I have 21 in my collection. Here's one portion of the collection.

SDC15669_zpsa3276a1d.jpg

I'm not familiar with the word "foamer," but, in regards to street signs, I am a vintage New York City street sign enthusiast and collector. I've always been fascinated by them for as long as I could remember. Today, I have 21 in my collection. Here's one portion of the collection.

SDC15669_zpsa3276a1d.jpg

I am jealous as hell.

(Which means yes)

I once found a bus stop sign that had fallen off exactly like the one you pictured. I would still have it today if not for a cop who saw me pick it up made me place it back on the ground where I found it although it could not be used anymore because the holes to affix it were gone.

I once found a bus stop sign that had fallen off exactly like the one you pictured. I would still have it today if not for a cop who saw me pick it up made me place it back on the ground where I found it although it could not be used anymore because the holes to affix it were gone.

Even if it fell off of its original sign post, the sign is still considered as New York City's property. That particular one, not to mention others I currently own, were legally acquired over the years.  

One could typically find such signs on either EBay or Craigslist. Most of what I have were acquired from EBay. Others were found at local salvage yards. If there is something in particular that I seek (in regards to a vintage New York City street sign), I usually browse EBay, since practically everything is sold on there on a daily basis.

Even if it fell off of its original sign post, the sign is still considered as New York City's property. That particular one, not to mention others I currently own, were legally acquired over the years.  

One could typically find such signs on either EBay or Craigslist. Most of what I have were acquired from EBay. Others were found at local salvage yards. If there is something in particular that I seek (in regards to a vintage New York City street sign), I usually browse EBay, since practically everything is sold on there on a daily basis.

How would you know that just because it was found on E Bay it was legitimately obtained? Someone could have picked it up in the street too. Old subway maps are for sale on EBay and all of them say on them that they are not for sale or used to say that.

How would you know that just because it was found on E Bay it was legitimately obtained? Someone could have picked it up in the street too.

A friend of mine has been working for N.Y.C.D.O.T. since the late 1970s, and he has been able to obtain various retired street signs in the past. He has some in his private collection; however, he has sold what he obtained from time to time on mainly the EBay market. I have obtained most of what I own from him in the past. Others remain a mystery, since some of what I have were found in salvage yards.

A friend of mine has been working for N.Y.C.D.O.T. since the late 1970s, and he has been able to obtain various retired street signs in the past. He has some in his private collection; however, he has sold what he obtained from time to time on mainly the EBay market. I have obtained most of what I own from him in the past. Others remain a mystery, since some of what I have were found in salvage yards.

In 1970, when all the street signs were being replaced someone working for a local politician convinced the DOT guy to give him about 25 or 50 signs. Then he found out no one wanted them and was begging me to take some off his hands. Most of the ones remaining were of numbered streets and lettered avenues. I picked an Avenue R sign and an East 7th Street sign. Then a few months later, my father without my permission threw out the East 7th Street sign. Boy was I pissed. I still have the Ave R sign, but the East 7th St sign had embossed lettering and included the frame which the Avenue R sign did not. Years later I looked closer at the Ave R sign and saw it had been repainted, and underneath and upside own it said Church Av. It was common practice to reuse signs and repaint the names on them.

What kind of street sign are you referring to? There were several kinds that were in use throughout the city over the years.

Also, what you mentioned about the reuse of street signs is interesting to me, since I was not aware of that. What's interesting to mention, too, is that, a while back, I acquired a porcelain "humpback" street sign that originally saw service in Brooklyn. At the time I received it, the body of the street sign was repainted (was rather black in appearance), and the letters of the name of the street were repainted, too. Below, are two pictures of the sign shortly after I acquired it.

WytheAvenue.jpg

WytheAvenue1.jpg

Notice that the other street, which is "N. 15 ST.," was simply painted over. As to why it originally was is I suppose an enigma, since the actual intersection these two streets meet at is still in existence today. Though I have noticed that many original "humpback" street signs from Brooklyn only showed the main streets, not the streets motorists were on. A rather interesting observation to point out.

Back to the street sign itself. Shortly after I received it, I decided to restore its original appearance prior to when it was repainted by the city. It took me a couple of days to remove the second coat of paint from the actual body of the street sign and repainted letters. Though, with patience, I was able to revive the original appearance. Below, are two pictures of the final product. A little elbow grease and some paint remover did the trick. As to why the city repainted the actual street sign is pretty evident, since the original appearance has noticeable wear and tear. Though I prefer this "off-the-street" look, since that, in my book, gives it character.

SDC15056_zpsa4896a9f.jpg

SDC15057_zps6bfe3ea3.jpg

Aside from this "humpback," I also own two others. Each one is from a different borough. The Bronx and Manhattan. To complete my set, I am currently searching for one from Staten Island. With regards to Queens, the borough never used this kind to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite set of signs Ive seen a lot over the past 6 years..

I took this on my vacation last month on May 19, 2013 in Flagstaff, Arizona

DSC_0922_A_zps49479926.jpg

I'm so confused with these array of signs which road do I take?

I'm so confused with these array of signs which road do I take?

Actually that looks nicely organized and pretty straight forward for someone who knows what road they need.

Left to I-40 East, Route 89 North, Route 180 East.

Right for I-17 South, I-40 West, and the Airport.

And I guess either way for Route 66 and 40?  (I'm not sure what type of road that green 40 sign is for).

Generally the green interstate signs reflect business corridors parallel to the interstate's direction of travel.

For the most part these business loops were created to direct traffic to corridors that were bypassed when the interstate was built. In this case Business I-40 overlaps with U.S. Route 66.

One of my favorite set of signs Ive seen a lot over the past 6 years..

I took this on my vacation last month on May 19, 2013 in Flagstaff, Arizona

DSC_0922_A_zps49479926.jpg

now THIS is what i'm talking about...  :wub:

Generally the green interstate signs reflect business corridors parallel to the interstate's direction of travel.

For the most part these business loops were created to direct traffic to corridors that were bypassed when the interstate was built. In this case Business I-40 overlaps with U.S. Route 66.

Actually that looks nicely organized and pretty straight forward for someone who knows what road they need.

Left to I-40 East, Route 89 North, Route 180 East.

Right for I-17 South, I-40 West, and the Airport.

And I guess either way for Route 66 and 40? (I'm not sure what type of road that green 40 sign is for).

Gotcha. The moar u know.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, Flagstaff is home to part of the famous "Route 66", and its a big Tourist spot in Arizona. They keep things very neat and organized here. The first time i saw this set of signs, My jaw almost dropped. I thought it was so cool.

I'll make a fantasy map of some fantasy world completely out of my head... and i'll draw signs for major exits and intersections... I might have gone too far.

Archived