Never again on LIRR

pjbr40

I am telling you the truth here. He punch my ticket at $9.50 with peak. He also punch 1 and 3 fare zones.  But still when i got home it should been $5.75. For some people who didnt read my OP, I wrote "For once i decided to take the LIRR." I am not complaining about anything but the fare here. I still have the reciept right here in front of me. Also i emailed to (MTA) to see what they say. 

I remember one time i took the MetroNorth to Botanical Garden and i got the City Zone which is only $1 more then subway which is no complaint to me on that because it was on weekend. When it came to one of Monday holiday i thought the City Zone work on that day but it didn't. FOr them it what day of the week it is not if it on holiday. 

I am telling you the truth here. He punch my ticket at $9.50 with peak. He also punch 1 and 3 fare zones.  But still when i got home it should been $5.75. For some people who didnt read my OP, I wrote "For once i decided to take the LIRR." I am not complaining about anything but the fare here. I still have the reciept right here in front of me. Also i emailed to (MTA) to see what they say. 

I remember one time i took the MetroNorth to Botanical Garden and i got the City Zone which is only $1 more then subway which is no complaint to me on that because it was on weekend. When it came to one of Monday holiday i thought the City Zone work on that day but it didn't. FOr them it what day of the week it is not if it on holiday. 

It's not exactly rocket science.  Go online on the (MTA) website and check the rate... It says $8.00 for peak per peak trip from Mets-Willets Point to Penn Station. How can he punch your ticket at $9.50 unless you bought a ticket at $9.50??  :huh:  It also seems as if there are no ticket machines at that station so how did you get your ticket? 

Two things I'd like clarified....

1. Is there a ticket machine at the station?

2. If not how do you get tickets at that station?

1- nope

2- there's a ticket office there (which is what pjbr said he did)

People usually buy a round trip ticket from wherever they're emanating from when they're going to the game though...

1- nope

2- get a ticket at the ticket office there (which is what pjbr said he did)

People usually buy a round trip ticket from wherever they're emanating from when they're going to the game though...

Which leads me to believe one or two things...

Either he got ripped off by the ticket office or he entered the wrong zone when he bought his ticket at another station.  

I have never bought a ticket that resulted in being charged a different zone.  That's just insane and I don't see how the (MTA) can openly get away with it without anyone making a stink. I mean why wouldn't they just list the Zone 3 price if it really is $9.50? Makes no sense to me.

let me retype what i said earlier in the Op.

There is ticket office with ONE PERSON and everyone was disgruntled by it.

There a guy who work there said go to the conductor which he is standing near the ticket office who punch my ticket. The guy who told us to go to him because the computer is having major problem. 

There is no vending machine which i like to use because this way i know i am not gonna get cheated.

Here the other thing i havent told you about. There was some delay on (7) line going toward citifield. There was some signal or wiring problem caused the subway to go slower then usual. This is the reason why i want to switch over to LIRR on the last minute when i left citified. I didnt know how much it suppose to cost me and my friend said it should been like near $7. It that ticket was punch at $5 to $8 i wouldnt complain about it. But i alway check as soon i get home to make

i am charged correctly.

Also Citifield should be based on Cityzone not entertainment way. If that the case they would not make money that way. This is major transportation not a vendors.

Here's the LIRR zone map: http://web.mta.info/lirr/about/TicketInfo/Fares03-13.htm

It says Mets-Willets Point is Zone 1.

But at the same time, the Wikipedia article (regarding the City Terminal Zone) says that Mets-Willets Point is not in the City Terminal Zone. I would think that the CTZ would correspond with Zone 1, so assuming Wikipedia is correct, that means that the MTA mislabeled Mets-Willets Point as Zone 1 instead of Zone 3.

I guess on the bright side, for passengers coming from stations in Eastern Queens and Nassau (along the PW branch of course), they pay a couple of dollars less. But the MTA should've clarified that from the beginning.

I deon't get why people are bashing the OP, though. It sounded like an honest question, not some kind of rant. He was expecting to be charged a lower fare than he was (among other thing like the fact that the station was further away than the subway), and as a result, he's going to take the subway from now on. He didn't say he was going to farebeat next time or anything.

....I don't get why people are bashing the OP, though. It sounded like an honest question, not some kind of rant. He was expecting to be charged a lower fare than he was (among other thing like the fact that the station was further away than the subway), and as a result, he's going to take the subway from now on. He didn't say he was going to farebeat next time or anything.

Point #3 didn't help his case.... I most certainly understand why he got the backlash he got.....

I saw his situation (in the OP) more as a legitimate gripe than I did a rant.....

He does have a point.... I don't believe this is something he's making up either....

let me retype what i said earlier in the Op.

There is ticket office with ONE PERSON and everyone was disgruntled by it.

There a guy who work there said go to the conductor which he is standing near the ticket office who punch my ticket. The guy who told us to go to him because the computer is having major problem. 

There is no vending machine which i like to use because this way i know i am not gonna get cheated.

Here the other thing i havent told you about. There was some delay on (7) line going toward citifield. There was some signal or wiring problem caused the subway to go slower then usual. This is the reason why i want to switch over to LIRR on the last minute when i left citified. I didnt know how much it suppose to cost me and my friend said it should been like near $7. It that ticket was punch at $5 to $8 i wouldnt complain about it. But i alway check as soon i get home to make

i am charged correctly.

Also Citifield should be based on Cityzone not entertainment way. If that the case they would not make money that way. This is major transportation not a vendors.

I'm sorry but I fault you on this one.  Okay so there's no vending machine there but if you were so concerned about the fare, why would you wait until you got home to check?? When I buy MetroNorth or LIRR tickets if I can't check the price in advance I most certainly question the price upon purchasing them.  That seems to be what one would do in any situation.  That's like going to the supermarket paying whatever comes up on the register, going home and THEN checking the receipt and making a stink about what you were charged when you're supposedly shopping on a budget.  Smh

The point is, you had the option to question the price when you bought the ticket and if it was such an issue, you should've raised the point THEN.  The way you act, you would think someone was holding a gun to your head to buy the LIRR ticket. I don't get people's logic sometimes...  <_<  

Furthermore, in this day and age with cell phones, all you had to do was check the price on the (MTA) website, then you would know for sure what the price was, not unless you're living in the stone ages.  That's what most people do when buying things or shopping anyway. I know I do.

I am telling you the truth here. He punch my ticket at $9.50 with peak. He also punch 1 and 3 fare zones.  But still when i got home it should been $5.75. 

If that is the case, then I apologize for my doubt and you should DEFINITELY file a complaint with customer services, because he sold you the wrong ticket on TWO different levels.

Here's the LIRR zone map: http://web.mta.info/lirr/about/TicketInfo/Fares03-13.htm

It says Mets-Willets Point is Zone 1.

But at the same time, the Wikipedia article (regarding the City Terminal Zone) says that Mets-Willets Point is not in the City Terminal Zone. I would think that the CTZ would correspond with Zone 1, so assuming Wikipedia is correct, that means that the MTA mislabeled Mets-Willets Point as Zone 1 instead of Zone 3.

Why would you trust what Wikipedia says over what the ACTUAL SCHEDULE PUBLISHED BY THE MTA says?

Personally, I think they should bring back zone 2, and have that be Hunter's Pt, Woodside, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Willets Pt, Nostrand and ENY. It's outrageous that the cost for riding from points east to any of these stations is the same cost as taking the train all the way into Penn!

i didnt plan on taking LIRR till the last minute. I never check the website before i left. I dont have smartphone no more because it broke on me so i have dumb phone. So please take consideration why it was a sudden change of plan for me to go home. 

i didnt plan on taking LIRR till the last minute. I never check the website before i left. I dont have smartphone no more because it broke on me so i have dumb phone. So please take consideration why it was a sudden change of plan for me to go home. 

Okay, so then why didn't you confirm the price when you bought the ticket?? Seems as if you had a price point that you felt comfortable with and one that you didn't....

Why would you trust what Wikipedia says over what the ACTUAL SCHEDULE PUBLISHED BY THE MTA says?

Personally, I think they should bring back zone 2, and have that be Hunter's Pt, Woodside, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Willets Pt, Nostrand and ENY. It's outrageous that the cost for riding from points east to any of these stations is the same cost as taking the train all the way into Penn!

That's why I said, "assuming it's correct". I didn't say it was correct. But it's a logical explanation for what happened.

The ticket agent sold him a ticket that corresponds with Zone 3. It could've been a mistake on their part, or it could've been that they were told to charge the Zone 3 price, even though the ticket corresponded to Zone 1.

In any case, the Wikipedia article said that it was Zone 1, but not in the CTZ for whatever reason, so either way, it looks like he should've been charged the Zone 1 price.

those who believed i should been charged for zone one fare city zone type, i agree with you.  it inside the city limit and it should been city zone nothing else. i am just waiting for email to confirm what action or what they said to me. 

one other note i was supposed to be driven by my friend but he had other thing to do so this is why it was last minute decision. if i know i had few choices earlier i would have check it out online. 

Stations within the limit of the city fall in either zone 1 or 3.  There are many stations that fall within the city limits that are not a part of zone 1, including Flushing through Little Neck, and Jamaica through St. Albans, Rosedale, and Queens Village (all are zone three stations).

According to the LIRR fare and zone chart, Mets-Willets Point is a zone 1 station, and the fares are $5.75 one-way off-peak, $8 one-way peak, $12 onboard off-peak, and $14 onboard peak.

The only way you could have been charged $9.50 from Mets-Willets point is if you got a peak ticket to some zone three station.  The person selling you the tickcet might have gotten confused and sold you a ticket to a place like Jamiaca or Bayside or some other zone three station.

Archived