NYPD related-question

+Young+

Hello~

Several years ago, I applied for several city-wide examinations with the NYPD. Upon receiving the letters from the NYPD, I realized that my heart belongs to Transit and not the NYPD, therefore I disregarded them.

However, I recently received a notice from the NYPD for one of the positions which I am interested in - Police Administrative Aide, even though my heart belongs to Transit.

With that said, I have one main question:

My father, who not only worked for Transit for 39 years (1966 to 2005), but also has a temper tantrum over most things, is highly encouraging me to go ahead with this, since he is saying that Transit will like the fact that I have worked with the NYPD. Is this still true to this date?

I would like to talk to someone (preferably a TA employee) about this via PM, where I can share more details about this. Therefore, if someone can send me a private message I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Since I can't put anything that may answer your question, I'll post a comment.  I could understand your heart towards transit, but if a job were to come up to me like that, I'd take it.

I'd love to work for the MTA as well, but as most people would know, I was offered a nice position at Verizon and I took it.  Until a better opportunity comes up for me in MTA, I'll probably drop Verizon and take that.

Why would they like the fact that you've worked for the NYPD? Like bumping you ahead in the list or something?

Because to get any position at the NYPD they assign you to a detective that does a extremely extensive background check on you plus from what im told NYPD being civil service pension and your seniority transfer to other civil service positions

Because to get any position at the NYPD they assign you to a detective that does a extremely extensive background check on you plus from what im told NYPD being civil service pension and your seniority transfer to other civil service positions

Not his seniority.  Just the time served under the NYCERS pension.  Let's say he does 5 years at NYPD, those same 5 years will transfer over to the TA as time served towards retirement so instead of having to fulfill the 25 years of service with the TA all he would have to do is 20 years of service permitted that he is 55 years old at the time.

I don't think you will get paid that much as an Administrative Principal Aide in the NYPD.  You gross annual salary will be slightly lower than MTA top pay. There are some perks working for the city than MTA like sick leaves.

Not his seniority.  Just the time served under the NYCERS pension.  Let's say he does 5 years at NYPD, those same 5 years will transfer over to the TA as time served towards retirement so instead of having to fulfill the 25 years of service with the TA all he would have to do is 20 years of service permitted that he is 55 years old at the time.

Thank you for the correction its a sweet deal

Even with time served under NYCERS he would still be subjected to a Tier 6 Transit 25/55 meaning the time with NYPD will not shave off any years for his transit pension. He would still have to work the full 25 for transit in order to get the full pension. They only combine in the end when it's time to collect after retirement.

Even with time served under NYCERS he would still be subjected to a Tier 6 Transit 25/55 meaning the time with NYPD will not shave off any years for his transit pension. He would still have to work the full 25 for transit in order to get the full pension. They only combine in the end when it's time to collect after retirement.

Thanks for clarifying that!

Archived