LIRR assistant Conducter

Nature

Hello, I just been invited to take the LIRR assistant conductor exam on June 10th.

"

Good Afternoon,

You are being invited to take the Assistant Conductor Test at the Long Island Rail Road on Monday, June 10, 2013 @ 8:00 AM.

I have attached an employment application (please print it, fill it out, and bring it with you), an invitation letter, and a train schedule to Hillside Facility.

If you are interested in taking this test, please RSVP by June 3, 2013.

Thank you,

Michelle Drew

HR Assistant

LIRR, Mail Code 1159

93-02 Sutphin Boulevard, 5th Fl.

Jamaica, NY 11435

Tel: 718-558-8016

Fax: 718-558-7945

"

What can I expect on the test?

I currently work at the post office.

https://erecruit.mtabsc.info/psc/ERPRD/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=76834&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1&

Sorry to bud in on this, was this test a randomly select type of test?

I'm not sure I guess depending on how good your resume is, they will email you. I heard that the test is hard I hope it is not. Because I am currently in college for business so I prob can use my knowledge to an advantage.

THE LIRR doesn't work like DCAS or the City of New York. You apply on the MTA website, and then HR reps go through thousands of applicants, then, resumes that suit the needs of the jobs are picked out and invited to take the Cognitive test for the position. This 1st Step is crucial, because if you do not succeed on the Cognitive test for Assistant Conductor, you fail the exam for: Locomotive Engineer Trainee, Block Operator Trainee & Yardmaster Trainee.  This cognitive test is something you've most likely never seen before. You really can't study for it. Good Luck and hopefully we'll see you down here!

I just took the test for Locomotive Engineer trainee last month. It's the same test for AC. It's two parts. First vocabulary and next part cognitive. It's not hard but not easy either as there is a time limit. Good Luck.

This is BS! I submitted my resume back in December 2012 when this position was offered. I heard OR got nothing. Then this position was offered again and on the site it read..."If you already applied for this position, then you need not to re-apply." Now, they are handing out test dates? WTF?! I don't get this. Sorry for the rant. Good luck Nature!

THE LIRR doesn't work like DCAS or the City of New York. You apply on the MTA website, and then HR reps go through thousands of applicants, then, resumes that suit the needs of the jobs are picked out and invited to take the Cognitive test for the position. This 1st Step is crucial, because if you do not succeed on the Cognitive test for Assistant Conductor, you fail the exam for: Locomotive Engineer Trainee, Block Operator Trainee & Yardmaster Trainee.  This cognitive test is something you've most likely never seen before. You really can't study for it. Good Luck and hopefully we'll see you down here!

Back in January, I took the Locomotive Engineer Trainee Cognitive Test and passed (that's what the HEAD of the training program told me...just forgot his name though) BUT in mid-February I got a letter stating that I was not selected and they went a direction direction. So does that mean that I won't even be considered for Assistant Conductor?

I just took the test for Locomotive Engineer trainee last month. It's the same test for AC. It's two parts. First vocabulary and next part cognitive. It's not hard but not easy either as there is a time limit. Good Luck.

I agree! The Vocabulary part was very simple but "parts" of the time limit got me though.

This is BS! I submitted my resume back in December 2012 when this position was offered. I heard OR got nothing. Then this position was offered again and on the site it read..."If you already applied for this position, then you need not to re-apply." Now, they are handing out test dates? WTF?! I don't get this. Sorry for the rant. Good luck Nature!

All i can tell you is keep trying. When it comes to the Transportation Dept ,they are very selective . Or try applying as a Cam or Sam .

Back in January, I took the Locomotive Engineer Trainee Cognitive Test and passed (that's what the HEAD of the training program told me...just forgot his name though) BUT in mid-February I got a letter stating that I was not selected and they went a direction direction. So does that mean that I won't even be considered for Assistant Conductor?

I agree! The Vocabulary part was very simple but "parts" of the time limit got me though.

Did you have the panel interview , that's what I just had last wed.

this means your resume was good enough to get their interest. you are invited to take the 1st of about 6 or so exams not including the preliminary and panel interview. you'll take 3 tests and a preliminary interview (if you pass all 3 test). First test is cognitive (charts, orders, sequence). If you don't pass this you are sent home. If you pass, you take the math and vocabulary test. This is easy but timed. Then you wait while they check the papers. If you pass you'll be called back in the room for your preliminary interview. Then they do background and credit check. Depending on this, you might get invited again for the signals and definition overview and scheduled for another test.

The process is really hard (they will explain it good and no surprises. it is what it is) and you'll have to study hard if you do get invited for the S&D overview. You'll have to be good at memorization because the S&D test is verbatim. Good luck and pass that first test and make sure your credit is good.

LIRR54 - did you apply for the AC too?

this means your resume was good enough to get their interest. you are invited to take the 1st of about 6 or so exams not including the preliminary and panel interview. you'll take 3 tests and a preliminary interview (if you pass all 3 test). First test is cognitive (charts, orders, sequence). If you don't pass this you are sent home. If you pass, you take the math and vocabulary test. This is easy but timed. Then you wait while they check the papers. If you pass you'll be called back in the room for your preliminary interview. Then they do background and credit check. Depending on this, you might get invited again for the signals and definition overview and scheduled for another test.

The process is really hard (they will explain it good and no surprises. it is what it is) and you'll have to study hard if you do get invited for the S&D overview. You'll have to be good at memorization because the S&D test is verbatim. Good luck and pass that first test and make sure your credit is good.

LIRR54 - did you apply for the AC too?

No applied for Engineer when it was out around Dec .

I'm still waiting , i don't know nothing yet. I do know the S&D overview is on June 1st, but the time is sent by email.

i haven't heard anything also. I'm hoping i could start with the mid June training class. hoping no news is still a god thing. thanks and good luck.

• 1 month later...

hey how'd it go with s&d? i nkow the locomotive engineer trainee is still posted.

I didn' t make it past the panel.I have to try again next year if I want to ,but now I'm focused on course we have to take fr Car repairman program or Machinist. An Engineer I know told I should stay in M of E

I didn' t make it past the panel.I have to try again next year if I want to ,but now I'm focused on course we have to take fr Car repairman program or Machinist. An Engineer I know told I should stay in M of E

Sorry to hear that. They actually have applicants today here at hillside for loco eng'r. Are you a cam? They also have the assistant signal maintainer posted.

Sorry to hear that. They actually have applicants today here at hillside for loco eng'r. Are you a cam? They also have the assistant signal maintainer posted.

Yes I'm a Cam. Nah its cool, I still have options . Loco Engineer was up there on top of my list with Road Car Inspector. RCI do tend to make more with less hassle. But good luck as AC, and pay attention . I stress that vey much because the RR isn't giving new AC's any lead way on mistakes. Do the year perfectly and then go on from there.

Yes I'm a Cam. Nah its cool, I still have options . Loco Engineer was up there on top of my list with Road Car Inspector. RCI do tend to make more with less hassle. But good luck as AC, and pay attention . I stress that vey much because the RR isn't giving new AC's any lead way on mistakes. Do the year perfectly and then go on from there.

Yes they hammer that onto us. pretty much no second chances while on probation. Im still on training ang have to pass 4 more tests.

thank you and good luck too

• 1 month later...

Hello, I just been invited to take the LIRR assistant conductor exam on June 10th.

"

Good Afternoon,

You are being invited to take the Assistant Conductor Test at the Long Island Rail Road on Monday, June 10, 2013 @ 8:00 AM.

I have attached an employment application (please print it, fill it out, and bring it with you), an invitation letter, and a train schedule to Hillside Facility.

If you are interested in taking this test, please RSVP by June 3, 2013.

Thank you,

Michelle Drew

HR Assistant

LIRR, Mail Code 1159

93-02 Sutphin Boulevard, 5th Fl.

Jamaica, NY 11435

Tel: 718-558-8016

Fax: 718-558-7945

"

What can I expect on the test?

I currently work at the post office.

https://erecruit.mtabsc.info/psc/ERPRD/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=76834&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1&

how'd you do? i know there's an S&D test on Monday and heard 2 classes to start in September.

• 3 months later...

Got called down on the 31st the cognitive started off pretty alright and got quite difficult towards the end but I was fortunate to make it thru and like they said the spelling and math test was a cakewalk so was the preliminary interview they gave me that small sample book to memorize and its killing me Im getting the definitions but missing a adjective here or there and to my understanding that still makes the whole thing wrong theyre currently doing background and credit and if I pass that Ill get a call on the 13th to be tested on the booklet and if I pass that Ill be called again for yet another interview and drug test and hopefully make the list of 72 candidates to be called between next year January thru march

Got called down on the 31st the cognitive started off pretty alright and got quite difficult towards the end but I was fortunate to make it thru and like they said the spelling and math test was a cakewalk so was the preliminary interview they gave me that small sample book to memorize and its killing me Im getting the definitions but missing a adjective here or there and to my understanding that still makes the whole thing wrong theyre currently doing background and credit and if I pass that Ill get a call on the 13th to be tested on the booklet and if I pass that Ill be called again for yet another interview and drug test and hopefully make the list of 72 candidates to be called between next year January thru march

definitions and signals are verbatim. once you get invited to take the s&d test i suggest put in the time and study at least 3 to 4 hours a day. if you put in the time you have a great chance of passing. good luck

A little bit of punctuation will get you farther.  They usually discourage run on sentences and paragraphs.

Archived