Grand Concourse, Bronx

Via Garibaldi 8

Not even.....

If that 500 number or w/e is indicative of the daily ridership the BxM4 gets, then it's not even 500 people that would have to find alternatives... It would always be a number less than the daily ridership statistics show, because you have people that use buses either going, coming, or going & coming (with the latter being key to the point being made).....

But yeah, posting yearly ridership figures to indicate that's how many individual riders a route gets even more deceptive.... Good catch.

This is something that should've been directed @ QJT... He's the one that's been going on & on about cutting the route....

Anyway, to answer this question..... Of course it can.

The question I have (and not necessarily to you) is.... Should it?

Neither would I..... And yeah, the extension to Yonkers Raceway idea is one that's been thrown around before on here, with which I also concur with....

Wait a second... You're the same person that wants to have BM5's run open door along Woodhaven !

Are you really suggesting that express bus riders be displaced in order to use local buses?

Don't see where this is relevant otherwise....

Yeah... This.

That first part though, concourse stops don't have to be eliminated.....

yeah about bm5 that is hard to do now with the cuts to it. I think bxm4 should turn into a super LTD call it bx51 truncate it at 96th street Manhattan. Open door but a premium fare bus has no place on the concourse it is just plain dumb.

As far as I'm concerned whether it's thousands or hundreds a route shouldn't be cut based on sole numbers. That's my point, so if you want to go by daily riders, that's fine by me.

ok lets bring back x51 & 25 and the x20 with that logic? Then run x51 all day too.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah about bm5 that is hard to do now with the cuts to it. I think bxm4 should turn into a super LTD call it bx51 truncate it at 96th street Manhattan. Open door but a premium fare bus has no place on the concourse it is just plain dumb.

ok lets bring back x51 & 25 and the x20 with that logic? Then run x51 all day too.

We can cut the QM3 too since it doesn't have that many daily riders even though all of the runs are pretty full....  <_<

As far as I'm concerned whether it's thousands or hundreds a route shouldn't be cut based on sole numbers. That's my point, so if you want to go by daily riders, that's fine by me.

Sure, and there's no need to mislead by referring to annual numbers or w/e to make the point that the route shouldn't be cut..... You don't even have to resort to that..... It's not over 100k riders a year..... If I use the express 5 days a week going & coming, I don't account for 10 people - I account for dipping the metrocard 10 times in those 5 days, adding a couple hundred to that yearly statistic or whatever.... Point blank.

I'm not making any argumentation easier for naysayers like QJT that wanna come on here arguing that the route should be cut..... so if you want to make things easier for him, by all means....

...and that's my point.

Blatant exaggeration..... The BxM4 is utilized more than the x51, x25, and x20 was...

See, you want to come on here & make your case for cutting the route by putting the magnifying glass on the off peak & weekend ridership.. You aint slick.... But the BM5 should be kept though & should be made open door huh.... Get out of here.

Super LTD, premium fare, blah blah blah... Who are you to dictate how people should spend their money....

Has no place on the Concourse? Why, because the BxM4 doesn't have a highway segment you're so infatuated with.... Please.

Sure, and there's no need to mislead by referring to annual numbers or w/e to make the point that the route shouldn't be cut..... You don't even have to resort to that..... It's not over 100k riders a year..... If I use the express 5 days a week going & coming, I don't account for 10 people - I account for dipping the metrocard 10 times in those 5 days, adding a couple hundred to that yearly statistic or whatever.... Point blank.

I'm not making any argumentation easier for naysayers like QJT that wanna come on here arguing that the route should be cut..... so if you want to make things easier for him, by all means....

...and that's my point.

Yeah but whether you want to use annual or daily figures for some routes they don't tell the whole story. The BxM18 gets fewer riders annually and daily as does the QM3, so that's my point.

Yeah but whether you want to use annual or daily figures for some routes they don't tell the whole story. The BxM18 gets fewer riders annually and daily as does the QM3, so that's my point.

Right..... So then what's the point of saying:

"If the BxM4 was cut that would be over 100,000 riders that would have to find other ways to commute and MetroNorth or the subway isn't the answer."

....if the annual numbers don't tell the whole story.

You don't need to bring up that 100k (or any other number), annual OR daily, to make the point that the route shouldn't be cut.

Right..... So then what's the point of saying:

"If the BxM4 was cut that would be over 100,000 riders that would have to find other ways to commute and MetroNorth or the subway isn't the answer."

....if the annual numbers don't tell the whole story.

You don't need to bring up that 100k (or any other number), annual OR daily, to make the point that the route shouldn't be cut.

I brought up the annual numbers because I was looking at the big picture.  I can't speak for the BxM4, but the Riverdale buses have plenty of non-regular commuters.

We can cut the QM3 too since it doesn't have that many daily riders even though all of the runs are pretty full....  <_<

And this is why you can't just look at one statistic to determine whether or not to keep a route.

There's a lot more stats to consider than just daily (or annual) ridership. You have passengers per bus, cost per passenger, ridership by time of day, etc and other things like how easy it is to use the other alternatives (which may or may not be able to be quantified). You ask me, and daily ridership is one of the least important stats to look at (and annual ridership shouldn't even be considered).

The QM3 gets lower ridership than the BxM4, but it only has 3 runs each way during rush hour. It's apples to oranges to say "The BxM4 gets low ridership, so the QM3 should also be cut because it has low ridership". The QM3 has more people per bus, and a lower cost per passenger.

This is something that should've been directed @ QJT... He's the one that's been going on & on about cutting the route....

Anyway, to answer this question..... Of course it can.

The question I have (and not necessarily to you) is.... Should it?

Not trying to remedy the situation, but I was at work when I posted that. I was slipping, to say the least.

And personally I see that the BxM4 serves its purpose well, by alleviating other transit resources and maintaining a steady loyal ridership base.

I really can't say much else, but I'd welcome any other questions.

Unlike BXM4 QM3 runs are actually full. Start using it and you will see how empty it really is and how few riders actually use the concourse stops.

...and that's my point.

Blatant exaggeration..... The BxM4 is utilized more than the x51, x25, and x20 was...

See, you want to come on here & make your case for cutting the route by putting the magnifying glass on the off peak & weekend ridership.. You aint slick.... But the BM5 should be kept though & should be made open door huh.... Get out of here.

Super LTD, premium fare, blah blah blah... Who are you to dictate how people should spend their money....

Has no place on the Concourse? Why, because the BxM4 doesn't have a highway segment you're so infatuated with.... Please.

Err you do realize an $6 express bus on mostly local roads is stupid right Bxm4 is very unique find one line that is similar. I admit I went overboard with X51 and X25 but they all have one thing in common they are the lightest in their groups. BXM4 weakest fewest pax per bus out of all full-time lines I am not suggesting the death of the BM5 not realistic but even with it's runs it still has more than the BXM4. X51 lowest MTA NYCT queens express lines yet had the most extensive service. The numbers are not similar but the characteristics are. X25 lowest ridership of all rush hr only lines.

I brought up the annual numbers because I was looking at the big picture.  I can't speak for the BxM4, but the Riverdale buses have plenty of non-regular commuters.

And there in lies my point!!!! You only killed your own argument. Unlike the riverdale express buses BXM4 has abysmal ridership. Start using it and you will know what I mean if you can find any others on it that is.

And this is why you can't just look at one statistic to determine whether or not to keep a route.

There's a lot more stats to consider than just daily (or annual) ridership. You have passengers per bus, cost per passenger, ridership by time of day, etc and other things like how easy it is to use the other alternatives (which may or may not be able to be quantified). You ask me, and daily ridership is one of the least important stats to look at (and annual ridership shouldn't even be considered).

The QM3 gets lower ridership than the BxM4, but it only has 3 runs each way during rush hour. It's apples to oranges to say "The BxM4 gets low ridership, so the QM3 should also be cut because it has low ridership". The QM3 has more people per bus, and a lower cost per passenger.

Exactly QM3 even though it duplicates LIRR gets more riders per bus than the BXM4 ever will see on any trip.

Not trying to remedy the situation, but I was at work when I posted that. I was slipping, to say the least.

And personally I see that the BxM4 serves its purpose well, by alleviating other transit resources and maintaining a steady loyal ridership base.

I really can't say much else, but I'd welcome any other questions.

Err you mean really tiny ridership base.

Err you do realize an $6 express bus on mostly local roads is stupid right Bxm4 is very unique find one line that is similar. I admit I went overboard with X51 and X25 but they all have one thing in common they are the lightest in their groups. BXM4 weakest fewest pax per bus out of all full-time lines I am not suggesting the death of the BM5 not realistic but even with it's runs it still has more than the BXM4. X51 lowest MTA NYCT queens express lines yet had the most extensive service. The numbers are not similar but the characteristics are. X25 lowest ridership of all rush hr only lines.

It isn't so-called "stupid" for the people that continue to use the service - and the usage of the route (meaning weekday peak, plus weekday off peak, plus weekend usage) is higher than what you wanna convey to us on here to try to justify the deletion of it..... The fact that you bothered comparing the BxM4 to 3 former peak only exp. routes says enough..... I'm not gonna sit up here & make like the BxM4 is bursting at the seams w/ usage, but I'm also not gonna come on here exaggerating how ill-used the route is either.....

"Mostly local roads" means nothing if it's still taking people where they're generally tryna get to in an efficient manner....

You are WAAAYYYY too stuck on the highway shit dude - no bashing, no clowning, none of that, but it is what it is with you with that

Furthermore, it isn't up to me to "find one line that is similar" to the BxM4 because for 1] It has squat to do with anything relevant to the BxM4 itself & 2] I'm not the person making the case & having to resort to such tactics to make the case that it should be eliminated.... I'm not doing your job for you.

Unlike BXM4 QM3 runs are actually full. Start using it and you will see how empty it really is and how few riders actually use the concourse stops.

You're first saying that the QM3 runs horrible and has low ridership and is empty because you only view the statistics, and now you say this. LOL.

BXM4 has more service than express lines with more riders so that makes your argument BS. Bxm4 sees light use on MOST runs. LIRR has trains with fluctuating ridership and they can't be compared to a weak line like BXM4. without Bxm4 BM5 would have the lowest for full-time express lines but it's off-peak service is limited and rightly so. I am just saying Bxm4's service levels should at least match ridership instead of a bunch of empty buses.

BS, the BM5 would have more ridership proportionate to the QM4 (running times). The QM4 runs 119.5 people per Saturday and Sunday, rounding it to 20. It has 32 trips. The BM5 has 94 people, and it runs 16 trips. Divide 120 by 2, you get 60. So in the same period that the BM5 runs, it gets 94 riders, meanwhile the QM4 gets 60. The BxM4 carries more people than the QM4 weekends.

It isn't so-called "stupid" for the people that continue to use the service - and the usage of the route (meaning weekday peak, plus weekday off peak, plus weekend usage) is higher than what you wanna convey to us on here to try to justify the deletion of it..... The fact that you bothered comparing the BxM4 to 3 former peak only exp. routes says enough..... I'm not gonna sit up here & make like the BxM4 is bursting at the seams w/ usage, but I'm also not gonna come on here exaggerating how ill-used the route is either.....

"Mostly local roads" means nothing if it's still taking people where they're generally tryna get to in an efficient manner....

You are WAAAYYYY too stuck on the highway shit dude - no bashing, no clowning, none of that, but it is what it is with you with that

Furthermore, it isn't up to me to "find one line that is similar" to the BxM4 because for 1] It has squat to do with anything relevant to the BxM4 itself & 2] I'm not the person making the case & having to resort to such tactics to make the case that it should be eliminated.... I'm not doing your job for you.

a bus mostly on local roads a $6 premium bus doesn't make that is like a LTD bus basically Then reduce BXM4 concourse service to rush hours only. Or have a LTD variant of the Bx1 do it.

BS, the BM5 would have more ridership proportionate to the QM4 (running times). The QM4 runs 119.5 people per Saturday and Sunday, rounding it to 20. It has 32 trips. The BM5 has 94 people, and it runs 16 trips. Divide 120 by 2, you get 60. So in the same period that the BM5 runs, it gets 94 riders, meanwhile the QM4 gets 60. The BxM4 carries more people than the QM4 weekends.

I am talking weekdays. But for weekends I am not against canning QM4 weekend service actually. So QM4 inspite of having 800 daily riders is lower I see your using people per bus right? I am just saying BXM4's service should match ridership that is it. QM4 and BXM4 are both weak off-peak. BXM4 is more expensive than metro-north on weekends so there is no reason to run it on weekends not against your QM4 argument though. But what the BXM4 does is better off done with a LTD bus than an express bus. 

So the QM4 would be the lowest ridership full-time bus with the elimination of the BXM4? Or BM4? BM4 serves areas not near the subway it's there for coverage. QM4 however is not as redundant but people prefer Q64 to the subway over waiting an hour for a bus it seems.

You're first saying that the QM3 runs horrible and has low ridership and is empty because you only view the statistics, and now you say this. LOL.

QM3 total is low BUT per bus it's high unlike Bxm4 and QM4.

Ay yay yay... This a never ending saga.  Not every express bus has to have LONG HIGHWAY SEGMENTS for it to be a true express bus.  I don't know where you got that idea from but it's quite foolish to say the least. Most of the BM's aren't on the highway that long and the Riverdale express buses use local streets for most of the route.  In fact they actually get off of the Major Deegan or the Harlem River Drive on purpose to take the local streets because it's faster most of the time, so stop it already with the highways=fast rhetoric. Simply not true.

Ay yay yay... This a never ending saga. Not every express bus has to have LONG HIGHWAY SEGMENTS for it to be a true express bus. I don't know where you got that idea from but it's quite foolish to say the least. Most of the BM's aren't on the highway that long and the Riverdale express buses use local streets for most of the route. In fact they actually get off of the Major Deegan or the Harlem River Drive on purpose to take the local streets because it's faster most of the time, so stop it already with the highways=fast rhetoric. Simply not true.

BS riverdale expresses are non stop bxm4 is always having to pick up then immediately drop off in Manhattan and the BMs can't be compared as they have more than double the riders there is not a single line you can compare it to not one cause bxm4 is unique. There is no route to compare it to the only express with a similar structure was cut in 2010. I am curious now.

I beg to differ, but hey, everyone has their opinions.

you don't live here so you don't know how empty they are. All day service till 10 pm from 6 am and all you get is 409 riders that is quite sad. I am using facts rather than opinions bxm4 is an overpriced LTD nothing more.

there is nothing express about the bxm4 why not just have a LTD bus do it people there are not able to shell out $6 for a bus that barely saves any time. Now I am curious since VG8 knows didly squat about bxm4 do you know the time periods that bxm4's ridership is at its highest? From when to when? Do most riders really not use the concorse stops to barely used?

there is nothing express about the bxm4 why not just have a LTD bus do it people there are not able to shell out $6 for a bus that barely saves any time. Now I am curious since VG8 knows didly squat about bxm4 do you know the time periods that bxm4's ridership is at its highest? From when to when? Do most riders really not use the concorse stops to barely used?

I'll be using it very soon to know...  Now give it a rest already with the broken record speech.  <_<

I'll never understand why people intentionally reply to the same exact post twice....

Like the 2 replies I received to this post of mine, below:

a bus mostly on local roads a $6 premium bus doesn't make that is like a LTD bus basically Then reduce BXM4 concourse service to rush hours only. Or have a LTD variant of the Bx1 do it.

....Anyway, I'm not gonna keep entertaining this *the BxM4 isn't a true express bus* garbage you're basically continuing to parrot on these forums....

Again you continue to try to tell people how they should use their money.... If those folks want to pay $6 for a ride along the concourse to manhattan, let them.... And on top of that, If it were SO preposterous a thought (like you're continuing to convey on here) that anyone would do such a thing, then at minimum, stops along the concourse would've been discontinued a long time ago (due to extremely low; virtually no usage).... On the BxM4, the Woodlawn folks PLUS the folks along grand concourse utilize the route enough to keep the route afloat - What part about that don't you understand ???

As far as this LTD BS (because that's exactly what it is.... Bullshit), Listen...

Failed (or currently lowly performing) express buses should not be somehow automatically converted to LTD's along the same path of travel - That is your solution to the problem of subpar usage on the BxM4 & the way I see it, that would do nothing to boost usage, regardless if you think such a remedy is the best thing since sliced bread.... You suggested the same thing happen with the x90 after that got cut.... You're banking on the notion since fares would be cheaper, that more ridership would come to the converted LTD route (from having been a failed or lowly performing express prior)....

So it serves no purpose to ask me what particular time periods the route's ridership is at its highest... Generally speaking, it's just like any other express bus, peak times see more usage on the route than off-peak... If you want to see for yourself when BxM4 usage is at its highest, then you're simply gonna have to do the legwork yourself.... There's no way for me to know which particular peak trips on the route carries more than the others (which is basically what you're asking with that).....

That last question... Again, it isn't a case of most riders not using stops along the concourse - That's implicating that most of the route's usage is north of the concourse, which isn't true... Read the statement in red.

I'll never understand why people intentionally reply to the same exact post twice....

Like the 2 replies I received to this post of mine, below:

....Anyway, I'm not gonna keep entertaining this *the BxM4 isn't a true express bus* garbage you're basically continuing to parrot on these forums....

Again you continue to try to tell people how they should use their money.... If those folks want to pay $6 for a ride along the concourse to manhattan, let them.... And on top of that, If it were SO preposterous a thought (like you're continuing to convey on here) that anyone would do such a thing, then at minimum, stops along the concourse would've been discontinued a long time ago (due to extremely low; virtually no usage).... On the BxM4, the Woodlawn folks PLUS the folks along grand concourse utilize the route enough to keep the route afloat - What part about that don't you understand ???

As far as this LTD BS (because that's exactly what it is.... Bullshit), Listen...

Failed (or currently lowly performing) express buses should not be somehow automatically converted to LTD's along the same path of travel - That is your solution to the problem of subpar usage on the BxM4 & the way I see it, that would do nothing to boost usage, regardless if you think such a remedy is the best thing since sliced bread.... You suggested the same thing happen with the x90 after that got cut.... You're banking on the notion since fares would be cheaper, that more ridership would come to the converted LTD route (from having been a failed or lowly performing express prior)....

So it serves no purpose to ask me what particular time periods the route's ridership is at its highest... Generally speaking, it's just like any other express bus, peak times see more usage on the route than off-peak... If you want to see for yourself when BxM4 usage is at its highest, then you're simply gonna have to do the legwork yourself.... There's no way for me to know which particular peak trips on the route carries more than the others (which is basically what you're asking with that).....

That last question... Again, it isn't a case of most riders not using stops along the concourse - That's implicating that most of the route's usage is north of the concourse, which isn't true... Read the statement in red.

A LTD is open door and therefore has higher turnover and would cost less to operate. Bxm4 doesn't have enough ppl to justify off-peak service period. What point of ONLY fulltime with fewer than 500 riders do you not get? Several peak only lines have much higher ridership counts. Plus it is the only express bus to serve areas of an outerborough bordering Manhattan notice no BMs go to downtown brooklyn or Williamsburg notice no QMs serve sunnyside. Bxm4 why does south concourse need an express south of fordham?

Yankee Stadium is 2 mins away from Manhattan. I will see for myself then crush your argument completely. Ohh if bx1 ltd had better reliability then a few bx short turns can begin in woodlawn then go to Manhattan upper but as it is extension won't do. X90 has a highway segment so it can't get the turn over of passengers that a LTD on the concourse can get. Do you think that bx1/2 can get SBS?

What stops on in woodlawn other than katonah get high use?

A LTD is open door and therefore has higher turnover and would cost less to operate. Bxm4 doesn't have enough ppl to justify off-peak service period. What point of ONLY fulltime with fewer than 500 riders do you not get? Several peak only lines have much higher ridership counts. Plus it is the only express bus to serve areas of an outerborough bordering Manhattan notice no BMs go to downtown brooklyn or Williamsburg notice no QMs serve sunnyside. Bxm4 why does south concourse need an express south of fordham?

Yankee Stadium is 2 mins away from Manhattan. I will see for myself then crush your argument completely. Ohh if bx1 ltd had better reliability then a few bx short turns can begin in woodlawn then go to Manhattan upper but as it is extension won't do. X90 has a highway segment so it can't get the turn over of passengers that a LTD on the concourse can get. Do you think that bx1/2 can get SBS?

Since when would the Bx1 or Bx2 be going down to 23rd street? Are you out of your mind.  Express buses are COMMUTER BUSES to get you from the outer boroughs to the central areas of Manhattan.  That's not what local buses are for.  I don't care how much ridership the BxM4 does.  The (MTA) would never make any local bus limited to do the work of a commuter bus. The idea is ridiculous.  If the ridership was too low they would just can the service, period.

Since when would the Bx1 or Bx2 be going down to 23rd street? Are you out of your mind. Express buses are COMMUTER BUSES to get you from the outer boroughs to the central areas of Manhattan. That's not what local buses are for. I don't care how much ridership the BxM4 does. The (MTA) would never make any local bus limited to do the work of a commuter bus. The idea is ridiculous. If the ridership was too low they would just can the service, period.

NOT my suggestion I suggested that only up to 125th or 96th was I not clear? Last I checked grand concourse is more inner borough than outer Borough. If you have to run hourly on the concourse where LTD buses are almost every 5-8 mins don't bother. All other options are more frequent and faster to boot. I do think something else now you gave me an idea.

NOT my suggestion I suggested that only up to 125th or 96th was I not clear? Last I checked grand concourse is more inner borough than outer Borough. If you have to run hourly on the concourse where LTD buses are almost every 5-8 mins don't bother. All other options are more frequent and faster to boot. I do think something else now you gave me an idea.

If you're going to replace the BxM4 with a limited-stop bus that only goes to 125th or 96th Streets, you might as well cut it outright. If people are going to have to transfer to the subway anyway (because the primary ridership base is in Midtown), they might as well make it easy on themselves and make the transfer in The Bronx. (Or just use the subway directly)

.....Bxm4 doesn't have enough ppl to justify off-peak service period. What point of ONLY fulltime with fewer than 500 riders do you not get? Several peak only lines have much higher ridership counts. Plus it is the only express bus to serve areas of an outerborough bordering Manhattan notice no BMs go to downtown brooklyn or Williamsburg notice no QMs serve sunnyside. Bxm4 why does south concourse need an express south of fordham?

Seeing for yourself won't lead to any "crushing" of my arguments because the proof is & will be in the pudding.... You would have to be a fool to sit there & continually believe that the route is as lowly used during peak times compared to off peak times.... All you're harping on is the route during off peak times & weekends & the comparing of it to other express routes..... Not to mention rhetoric & the lie you told about the BxM4 being mainly utilized by blacks & minorities - which only goes to show you don't know what the hell you're talking about..... Remember who's inquiring who throughout this discussion..... It sure as hell aint me to you; talkin about what I don't get... Lol......

There isn't anything more to get about fewer than 500 riders, big fu***in deal with that....

These are express buses we're talking about here.... You make like 500 is god damn 5 or some shit..... Jesus christ

Archived