B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

@youngnycsubwayfan. The letter states, on 5/19/16 I was seen by dr. &$@&$ and I am clinically and medically able to drive as part of the job. Do you think that is ok in conjunction with a physical bottle of the bp medicine I'm on showing that is being controlled? And what happens in medical if it's high cuz of being nervous or anxiety?

I hate to say it, but I don't think so. The letter has to state your specific medical condition and that it is under control. The letter you are talking about is a "general" letter.

Try not to get nervous or anxiety. If so, the prior day, sprinkle some cinnamon on your food...that should help.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@youngnycsubwayfan. Isn't bringing my bp medicine in to medical proof that it's being held under control with conjunction of my letter saying that I'm medically able to drive as part of the job?

You can try it, however I was just trying to be on the extremely safe side.

You also have to keep in mind that the medical exam to renew your medical certificate every two years is pretty basic, which consists of the doctor or advanced nurse talking to you, checking several things quickly, the patient keeping their clothes on, and that's pretty much it. From what I remember, Transit's standards are much higher and with some things, they are pretty strict, including having you change into a gown to check for certain things. Therefore, it's up to you...

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

@youngnycsubwayfan. Do they at least take to account that candidates that go to medical and take the bp test have some sort of anxiety or nervousness?

There is no written rule or condition that medical examiners must or may take into account for "white coat syndrome" which is what this anxiety is called. The examiner will usually take up to 3-readings. The important thing here is that you disclose properly on your medical history. Having high blood pressure or hypertension is really about a lack of oxygen in your blood and constricted veins and arteries. Its important to relax at the doctor's office. Here are a few tips to help you overcome this problem:

1. Do not drink any coffee at least 4-5 hours before time of your exam.

2. Do not smoke cigarettes (regular nor electronic) on the day of your exam.

3. Get to the exam at least 30-mins early so you can sit down and rest. Sit down in the waiting room, place your feet flat on the floor and take deep breathes. Each inhale should last 5-seconds and the exhale should take about 6-seconds. Keep doing this until they call you in. This is a proven method and is the basis of the only FDA approved non-drug device treatment of hypertension called "resperate". Its a pricey device (about $300) but you don't have to buy it, just search the app stores and you will find several apps that do something similar. The concept is actually very simple. The majority of people that have high blood pressure are shallow breathers. Deep breathing exercises pumps more oxygen into your blood stream which will cause your organs to send signals for oxygen less frequently to your brain, which will result in a more gentle heartbeat. Google "resperate" and you will see what I mean. Doing this will lower your blood pressure immediately for just enough time (about 30-40min) so you can get a favorable reading at the examiner's office. If you don't believe me, try it at home using your blood pressure monitor. Check your blood pressure, do the deep breathing for 15-min, then check the blood pressure again. But you must do the deep breathing properly so practice, practice, practice... Its not that easy to do right away!

4. Do Not Talk to the examiner or nurse while you are doing the blood pressure reading... Very Important. Talking will cause you to loose your breath and consequently deplete your oxygen levels. For that matter, don't talk to anyone at the examiner's office beyond answering questions. Don't get into any conversations in the waiting room either. Just sit there and do the deep breathing the entire time you are waiting to be called.

5. Make sure you wear loose fitting clothing and don't overtighten your waist belt.

6. If you really want an extra punch to lower your pressure just before an exam, go to a health food store and buy a 16-20 ounce bottle of pure beet juice and drink it down an hour or two before the exam. I am not a doctor so please do not take this a medical advice. Just sharing what I have learned and done successfully. Google beet juice and blood pressure. There are many reputable medical websites that will help you understand why beet juice works.

7. And finally, don't worry about it so much and relax, especially on the day of your exam. Take your readings at home everyday for a week or so before the exam. If its below 140/90 on a consistent basis you will go into the exam confident that your blood pressure is fine and that should help you calm down your fears.

Good Luck!

The best defense

@youngnycsubwayfan. Do they at least take to account that candidates that go to medical and take the bp test have some sort of anxiety or nervousness?

No.

There is no written rule or condition that medical examiners must or may take into account for "white coat syndrome" which is what this anxiety is called. The examiner will usually take up to 3-readings...

Thank you for the lengthy response.

Note also that from what I remember, they take two [2] readings, one in each arm. Anything from 110/70 to 130/90 is acceptable.

In addition, the day before and the morning before your medical examination, don't forget to sprinkle cinnamon on your food! Although this is known for naturally lowering your blood pressure, if your blood pressure is a little on the high side, for whatever reason, it should average out.

@youngnycsubayfan. I'm getting a note today from my doctor stating specifically that my blood pressure is good enough to drive as part of the job and is being controlled. Is there anything else I should get to be cleared? Should I be fine with that with conjunction with the bottle of my bp medicine?

@youngnycsubayfan. I'm getting a note today from my doctor stating specifically that my blood pressure is good enough to drive as part of the job and is being controlled. Is there anything else I should get to be cleared? Should I be fine with that with conjunction with the bottle of my bp medicine?

Make sure the note states that it is "under control." Unless I am wrong, I think those are the two biggest words they are looking for. You should be fine with your medication.

As far as anything else, you need to ask yourself that question. Even if it is one minor thing, I would get a note stating that it is under control.

Example: I have had asthma since I was a kid. I usually take singulair, one pill a night, and I'm fine. If you run into me, you would be shocked that I have asthma. With that said, my case is mild. However, I would still get a note, just to be on the safe side.

• 2 weeks later...

just called up dcas im list number 3** and was on an outstanding cert but no longer. also says last list number hired was 95 and last number certified is in the 1000s. has anybody else recieved a letter or any new info. I have not moved or changed address any info would be great TIA

just called up dcas im list number 3** and was on an outstanding cert but no longer. also says last list number hired was 95 and last number certified is in the 1000s. has anybody else recieved a letter or any new info. I have not moved or changed address any info would be great TIA

Just an FYI: From my personal experience with the automated system, not only for this list, but for other lists for other citywide agencies (like NYCERS, Sanitation, etc.), they usually update it on the evening of the first Sunday of every month.

Therefore, perhaps then it will be more accurate then? This is just my opinion/educated guess based on my experience...

wow 1st 1,000 already certified that was quick.

1024 certified? my list # r in the 58* but i still on outstanding certification? so did they skip me?

No they didn't skip you. DCAS has to send those 1,024 names over to the MTA so they can send you your letter for the pre employment application. Just keep your eye out for the mailman lol. Edited by tdevon2012

Hmmm. I am list number 21x. I too was on an outstanding certification but no longer am on one. Wonder why this is. What was the hr number again for MTA? I might call tomorrow.

Hmmm. I am list number 21x. I too was on an outstanding certification but no longer am on one. Wonder why this is. What was the hr number again for MTA? I might call tomorrow.

347-643-8229/30/31/32. Mon-Fri 11am - 4pm. If you were on "outstanding certification" and now you are not, that is a good thing. Basically means the city has cleared you for the next step in the hiring process. if your number is 21x, you should be expecting a letter within the next 2-3 months.

How do I go about renewing my CDL permit. I know I have to go to the DMV.

You can no longer renew a cdl permit. I'm in the same boat. DMV changed the policy and now a cdl permit is only good for 6 months not a year

oh wow. I guess I have to study again for the permit.

Same here buddy

CDL Permits are valid for 180-days (6-months) and can be renewed once for an additional 180-days (6 more months). After that you have to restart the process by passing all the exams again. 

There is no written rule or condition that medical examiners must or may take into account for "white coat syndrome" which is what this anxiety is called. The examiner will usually take up to 3-readings. The important thing here is that you disclose properly on your medical history. Having high blood pressure or hypertension is really about a lack of oxygen in your blood and constricted veins and arteries. Its important to relax at the doctor's office. Here are a few tips to help you overcome this problem:

1. Do not drink any coffee at least 4-5 hours before time of your exam.

2. Do not smoke cigarettes (regular nor electronic) on the day of your exam.

3. Get to the exam at least 30-mins early so you can sit down and rest. Sit down in the waiting room, place your feet flat on the floor and take deep breathes. Each inhale should last 5-seconds and the exhale should take about 6-seconds. Keep doing this until they call you in. This is a proven method and is the basis of the only FDA approved non-drug device treatment of hypertension called "resperate". Its a pricey device (about $300) but you don't have to buy it, just search the app stores and you will find several apps that do something similar. The concept is actually very simple. The majority of people that have high blood pressure are shallow breathers. Deep breathing exercises pumps more oxygen into your blood stream which will cause your organs to send signals for oxygen less frequently to your brain, which will result in a more gentle heartbeat. Google "resperate" and you will see what I mean. Doing this will lower your blood pressure immediately for just enough time (about 30-40min) so you can get a favorable reading at the examiner's office. If you don't believe me, try it at home using your blood pressure monitor. Check your blood pressure, do the deep breathing for 15-min, then check the blood pressure again. But you must do the deep breathing properly so practice, practice, practice... Its not that easy to do right away!

4. Do Not Talk to the examiner or nurse while you are doing the blood pressure reading... Very Important. Talking will cause you to loose your breath and consequently deplete your oxygen levels. For that matter, don't talk to anyone at the examiner's office beyond answering questions. Don't get into any conversations in the waiting room either. Just sit there and do the deep breathing the entire time you are waiting to be called.

5. Make sure you wear loose fitting clothing and don't overtighten your waist belt.

6. If you really want an extra punch to lower your pressure just before an exam, go to a health food store and buy a 16-20 ounce bottle of pure beet juice and drink it down an hour or two before the exam. I am not a doctor so please do not take this a medical advice. Just sharing what I have learned and done successfully. Google beet juice and blood pressure. There are many reputable medical websites that will help you understand why beet juice works.

7. And finally, don't worry about it so much and relax, especially on the day of your exam. Take your readings at home everyday for a week or so before the exam. If its below 140/90 on a consistent basis you will go into the exam confident that your blood pressure is fine and that should help you calm down your fears.

Good Luck!

The best defense

your so right about drinking are juicing beet to lower blood pressure are go to the health food are herbal store and buy cerese tea