B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey wass up everyone any one knows by any chance when u do ur medical with mta do they pull up ur medical records also? Or do they just go based on there procedure and results? Any help will be appreciate thanjs

No they don't look at your medical history. They only know what you tell them on the day of your medical. You'll sit at a computer which asks you about your medical history. My answer to everything was "No" . Don't do their job for them. If there's anything wrong with you let them find it.

Hey wass up everyone any one knows by any chance when u do ur medical with mta do they pull up ur medical records also? Or do they just go based on there procedure and results? Any help will be appreciate thanjs

There is "no" real centralized medical records.

While at 180 Livingston on Medical Day you will fill out an computerized questionnaire asking questions about your health. See Medical Examination Report of Driver Under Article 19-A  Section 2 for what they ask.

NOTE: The below was specific to my experience - yours might differ!

On that day you will report for medical you will wait in the area for pre-employment for about one hour, wait behind the initial reception area for another hour or so.  Then you'll be called into a smaller room, the TA's medical staff will be walking around randomly around you and call you into different rooms where you'll be tested for:

- Hearing

- Vision (I recommend getting a vision check before going into medical!)

- EKG/Blood Pressure

- Piss Quiz (for excess protein/excess sugar/blood)

Once all the above is finished, you'll wait outside in the area behind reception, there you will be called by the actual physician. Here you will be in a room similar to a traditional doctor office. There the physician will discuss your answers in the questionnaire (I did answer YES to two of the questions) physically examine you (you will be undressed except for undergarments - folks wear business casual clothing! suits and formal clothing are completely unnecessary). The doctor will do their checks and will clear you or will tell you what you need to do to get cleared (See Post 3773 for some information).

Edited by 161NewYork

There is "no" real centralized medical records.

While at 180 Livingston on Medical Day you will fill out an computerized questionnaire asking questions about your health. See Medical Examination Report of Driver Under Article 19-A  Section 2 for what they ask.

NOTE: The below was specific to my experience - yours might differ!

On that day you will report for medical you will wait in the area for pre-employment for about one hour, wait behind the initial reception area for another hour or so.  Then you'll be called into a smaller room, the TA's medical staff will be walking around randomly around you and call you into different rooms where you'll be tested for:

- Hearing

- Vision (I recommend getting a vision check before going into medical!)

- EKG/Blood Pressure

- Piss Quiz (for excess protein/excess sugar/blood)

Once all the above is finished, you'll wait outside in the area behind reception, there you will be called by the actual physician. Here you will be in a room similar to a traditional doctor office. There the physician will discuss your answers in the questionnaire (I did answer YES to two of the questions) physically examine you (you will be undressed except for undergarments - folks wear business casual clothing! suits and formal clothing are completely unnecessary). The doctor will do their checks and will clear you or will tell you what you need to do to get cleared (See Post 3773 for some information).

So they dont check ur medical history is what ur tellin me correct?

No they don't look at your medical history. They only know what you tell them on the day of your medical. You'll sit at a computer which asks you about your medical history. My answer to everything was "No" . Don't do their job for them. If there's anything wrong with you let them find it.

Oh ok thanks for ur help...

So they dont check ur medical history is what ur tellin me correct?

Oh ok thanks for ur help...

This was answered in your PM. For others who are interested. There is no "central" database (except possibly for VA/Indian Affairs etc), due to federal privacy regulations, you would have to fill out a form for every doctor/practitioner/hospital to release that information to the TA medical team.

This was answered in your PM. For others who are interested. There is no "central" database (except possibly for VA/Indian Affairs etc), due to federal privacy regulations, you would have to fill out a form for every doctor/practitioner/hospital to release that information to the TA medical team.

Yes and i appreciate u answering me and helping thanks u so much...

Just an FYI for everyone else going through the process:

Do NOT worry about direct deposit until after you qualify, discard (recycle, preferably) the form. My personal recommendation would be to Log into Business Service Center after General Information day and input in the information online. I received direct deposit on my third paycheck.

For those TA bus operators intending on going to Staten Island, if you go to Union Day at Transport Workers Union Local 100 headquarters in Brooklyn, my personal suggestion would be not to sign anything other than attendance paper (Regardless, I would personally advise to review your benefits plan with spouse/domestic partner/beneficiaries/pet rock before making decisions). Staten Island bus operators will have a different orientation with  Amalgamated Transit Union Local 726, there is even a credit union (Division 726 Federal Credit Union). Again a personal suggestion as there are some differences.

Edited by 161NewYork

Just an FYI for everyone else going through the process:

Do NOT worry about direct deposit until after you qualify, discard (recycle, preferably) the form. My personal recommendation would be to Log into Business Service Center after General Information day and input in the information online. I received direct deposit on my third paycheck.

Definitely do get direct deposit done; it takes 2 pay periods (that's a whole month) before it kicks in. Also, if you're in Staten Island, your pay location defaults to Castleton Depot. Your checks will get sent there until you get it changed to whichever depot.

Did the drug test today (2nd time, 1st one expired). Over the phone, I was told I would do medical & final processing on Thursday if I did the drug test today, but when I asked in person today, they said if the results come in on Wednesday and didn't sound so definite. Forgot to ask if not and they come in on Thursday, do I come in Friday for medical & final processing. I hope so. I really want to get in the December 26th class.

Based on conversations with multiple people and folks here in the forums, the following examinations appear to be still active.

TA: 2613 & 4600

OA: 3101

BC: 2301

TA = NYCTA , OA = MaBSTOA , BC = Bus Company (See other posts for explanations of what these are, differences = pay and benefits).

Some prior classes had TA/OA/BC students in a class, other classes had TA/OA students, there was recently one OA class in October and the 10/31 class was just a TA class.

The 10/31 class and 11/14 classes had people from BOTH TA Exams 2613 & 4600.

Edited by 161NewYork