B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

About one week in advance. What's nice though is that if you can't make it, especially for the first drug test, you can always call them up and they will work with you on selecting an alternate.

How do you change your address. I sent my address change back in January to examsunit@nyct.gov. but when I emailed find out what's going on they told me that they sent my pre employment letter to a wrong address. Thats why I was removed from the list and had to be reinstated. Is there an easier way besides faxing or writing a letter? I kind of want to get this done asap so either an email would be great. S

to restore yourself to the list with DCAS I used certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov

In the email list your name, exam name, exam number, exam list number, your social security number and reason why you missed your appointment.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there an easier way besides faxing or writing a letter? I kind of want to get this done asap so either an email would be great.

The only thing I can think of is going down to either DCAS and/or Livingston Street in person. Other than that, I can't think of anything else...sorry...

...but one thing is preventing you from working with us now and that's you had a suspension from yonkers in oct, 2014 that lasted a week and even though your license is good now we have to wait until 3 years after that suspension which is oct 2017, so I'm patiently waiting guys...

Ouch! At least you only have 6 more months, for me I have another year and nine months...

I have email to restore my name with DCAS and it didn't take two months. It was within that week.

Wow! That was fast! Thanks for the heads up!!

Edited by +Young+
Addition without creating another post...

Hey everyone I haven't posted in awhile I was kind of upset but I'm over it I got called to come in for bus operator for 4600 back in November 2016 I was all ready to go and when I got there after hours of waiting I was told my license is perfect I have my cdl, no points, no accidents, but one thing is preventing you from working with us now and that's you had a suspension from yonkers in oct, 2014 that lasted a week and even though your license is good now we have to wait until 3 years after that suspension which is oct 2017, so I'm patiently waiting guys, I also took the train operator exam last week so we'll see

Damn that's outrageous but if you don't mind me asking what was the suspension for because we recently had this conversation on another tread where a gentleman just went in and he said that he had a suspenion as well from last year and they didn't say anything to him about it.

I had to pay a fine in yonkers for a parking violation and I paid it late so they suspended my license and I paid it after 4 days of my license being suspended but unfortunately transit is making me wait, I don't know how that gentleman got away with it

I had to pay a fine in yonkers for a parking violation and I paid it late so they suspended my license and I paid it after 4 days of my license being suspended but unfortunately transit is making me wait, I don't know how that gentleman got away with it

Oddly enough this is interesting because i recently got my license suspended last year. Which wasn't even suspended for a day for insuance lapse. Now this is a bit nerve recking.

I don't even know what to say it's just one of those things that you pray the person who runs your license overlooks

Hey oh well. A part of life take a chance and run with it. Like you said guess it depends on the person who runs your license. But good luck to you.

So after  a 40 minute wait on hold to try and get in touch with someone. My name has been officially restored to the list and they said the next time the MTA uses that list I should be called  :)  :fingers crossed:

Just wanted to thank everyone that answered my questions from before and guided me to where I needed to go. Seems like they had a real old address on file..even though I made the change back in  January and had email confirmation. o00o0o well. I'm just happy to be back on the list!

So another question for all the vets out there.. How did you guys quit you job? I'm honestly worried about that. I been working with my current job for the past 5 years and I have a really great relationship with them. I was recently promoted also so I do have a new manage,so I cant just keep her in the loop on whats going on. I'm guessing you need take take up any vacation that you currently have for the amount of training that is required. I was told no, but do they give you at least 2 weeks before you start to give some sort of notice? 

I really would hate to burn bridges and all, so I'm kind of worried about that.. This is a much better opportunity but you never know what can happen. I would like to say I'm going to be with the MTA until I retire but anything can happen.

The only thing I can think of is going down to either DCAS and/or Livingston Street in person. Other than that, I can't think of anything else...sorry...

Ouch! At least you only have 6 more months, for me I have another year and nine months...

Wow! That was fast! Thanks for the heads up!!

No, problem. Thanks to the DCAS worker who told me lol. 

So after  a 40 minute wait on hold to try and get in touch with someone. My name has been officially restored to the list and they said the next time the MTA uses that list I should be called  :)  :fingers crossed:

Just wanted to thank everyone that answered my questions from before and guided me to where I needed to go. Seems like they had a real old address on file..even though I made the change back in  January and had email confirmation. o00o0o well. I'm just happy to be back on the list!

So another question for all the vets out there.. How did you guys quit you job? I'm honestly worried about that. I been working with my current job for the past 5 years and I have a really great relationship with them. I was recently promoted also so I do have a new manage,so I cant just keep her in the loop on whats going on. I'm guessing you need take take up any vacation that you currently have for the amount of training that is required. I was told no, but do they give you at least 2 weeks before you start to give some sort of notice? 

I really would hate to burn bridges and all, so I'm kind of worried about that.. This is a much better opportunity but you never know what can happen. I would like to say I'm going to be with the MTA until I retire but anything can happen.

You're in the same boat as me

So after a 40 minute wait on hold to try and get in touch with someone. My name has been officially restored to the list and they said the next time the MTA uses that list I should be called :) :fingers crossed:

Just wanted to thank everyone that answered my questions from before and guided me to where I needed to go. Seems like they had a real old address on file..even though I made the change back in January and had email confirmation. o00o0o well. I'm just happy to be back on the list!

If you have vacation time or sick leave, you should used them during the 7-10 days training. Supposed you successfully pass the training process the best way to handle your former employer is to write a professional resignation letter and hand it in. If you have good relationship with your current employer, they should understand that you will be seeking for growth and other opportunities.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

First, congrats!!

Second, to answer your question,when you go for final processing, they will have a list of the next two or three upcoming classes at Zerega. Therefore, at that point in time, they will work with you, since other people either fail the drug test, have more than either 4 points or two accidents on their abstract, etc.

If you do take a vacation, I would personally take 2 & 1/2 weeks off, just in case you have to go to Day 10. And if you fail, since not everyone will make it, like with me back in 2014, at least you'll have a few days to get yourself together and move on with your life.

Good luck!!

Edited by +Young+
Editing purposes..

I have my road test with a private driving school next Tuedsay(god willing I will pass I have confidence I will I feel comfortable behind the wheel of a big vechile). I'm wondering if I should apply to work for some bus companies that have rear engine buses so I get use to driving those or just stick it out with the security company I'm with now.

I have my road test with a private driving school next Tuesday (god willing I will pass I have confidence I will I feel comfortable behind the wheel of a big vehicle). I'm wondering if I should apply to work for some bus companies that have rear engine buses so I get use to driving those or just stick it out with the security company I'm with now.

IMHO, it doesn't matter if it has a rear engine or if it's a regular bus, just get some experience! The company I work for, MV Transportation, is still hiring drivers. The position will be part-time for the summer and full-time once the fall semester begins. What's nice about my job is that at some times, like during rush hour, you can easily gain experience with the traffic, pedestrians, etc. Click here for more information.

IMHO, it doesn't matter if it has a rear engine or if it's a regular bus, just get some experience! The company I work for, MV Transportation, is still hiring drivers. The position will be part-time for the summer and full-time once the fall semester begins. What's nice about my job is that at some times, like during rush hour, you can easily gain experience with the traffic, pedestrians, etc. Click here for more information.

Hiring only those with a CDL or a premit as well?!

Cool cool I will be applying as soon as I pass thank you. I also of a company that operates ferry shuttle buses in Manhattan and my company has the security contract for the ferry terminal. I may be able to get in with them as I've spoken with a lot of the drivers. That's full time and they are in the TWU Local 100 union. I'm also going to look into my as well thanks again young

Cool cool I will be applying as soon as I pass thank you. I also of a company that operates ferry shuttle buses in Manhattan and my company has the security contract for the ferry terminal. I may be able to get in with them as I've spoken with a lot of the drivers. That's full time and they are in the TWU Local 100 union. I'm also going to look into my as well thanks again young

You're welcome.

Hey everyone. Heres my situation. Last year i went to doctor and he put me on a low dose of blood pressure medicine. After that i stopped smoking and started exercising and after a few months stopped taking the blood pressure meds. Now my pressure is fine with no medication.When i went to the doctor to renew my dot medical card he only gave me one for a year not the usual two because of taking the meds. I explained to him that i stopped taking them and it did not matter. My question is what do i do when going for the MTA medical? Should i explain to them the situation or not say anything. As soon as they see my medical card only for one year i am sure they are going to wonder why. See the doctor said look at medical sheet it says do you have or have you ever had high blood pressure. Do they ask the same for the mta medical or is it only do you have high blood pressure.Any advice i would appreciate. Thanks

Hello everyone, haven posted in awhile, I want to send a shoutout to the April 3 class for their graduation today, CONGRATS, to all, it was my pleasure to meet you guys and gals today, I felt alittle out of place because I was supposed to graduate on April 19, just want to say thanks for welcoming me to your group, to those who read my past posts, I hope it made it easier for you as you go thru this process, don't sweat going it alone tomorrow, going it alone is the best thing for all of you, you are all here for a reason, you are the best at what you do, Bus Operator, take it slow and easy and always cover your right side, watch out for the knuckleheads. Forget the ADA and paddle times, just pull out on time the next few weeks. Just send me a message if you need any assistance, I will do my best to find out for you, Good luck to all and enjoy your new careers, remember there is a Mercedes Benz dealership with a pink slip waiting for you after you complete probation,LOL, Sparrow857

Hello bighead, from your post I am understanding that you currently are in need of the DOT medical card because you are currently employed as a CDL driver. i would not offer any information regarding your medical history to the MTA. If they ask for dot card let them figure it out, don't point it out to them, if they ask why, just say, I didn't see the one year thought it was for 2 years. As for the MTA question I believe it will be, do you have or ever had high blood pressure , you could tell the truth , once they test your pressure and its normal along with the other tests they do, you will be cleared to work. Privide all goes well and your hired, The MAC Doctor would most likely have you do 6 month or one year review at a MAC center, this is all done on company time and you will be paid. Now if you are not driving CDL right now just have the DMV place an A3 restriction on your license and you will be exempt from the DOT medical, you can always renew and remove the A3 and get the Dot Med card again.

Here is some satisfying news from the head of probation department at Zerega, he said today that there will be classes running every 2 weeks from now thru the summer, maybe TA or OA or mix of both, get your paper work in order as the lists move, good luck to everyone on the lists.

Hey everyone. Heres my situation. Last year i went to doctor and he put me on a low dose of blood pressure medicine. After that i stopped smoking and started exercising and after a few months stopped taking the blood pressure meds. Now my pressure is fine with no medication.When i went to the doctor to renew my dot medical card he only gave me one for a year not the usual two because of taking the meds. I explained to him that i stopped taking them and it did not matter. My question is what do i do when going for the MTA medical? Should i explain to them the situation or not say anything. As soon as they see my medical card only for one year i am sure they are going to wonder why. See the doctor said look at medical sheet it says do you have or have you ever had high blood pressure. Do they ask the same for the mta medical or is it only do you have high blood pressure.Any advice i would appreciate. Thanks

You don't have to disclose anything that you don't want them to know about. If you answer yes to anything during their questionaire, the MAC doctor will inquire and more than likely place you on medical hold. (and subsequently 6 month follow ups)

You don't have to give them your DOT card, they don't ask about it.

Here is some satisfying news from the head of probation department at Zerega, he said today that there will be classes running every 2 weeks from now thru the summer, maybe TA or OA or mix of both, get your paper work in order as the lists move, good luck to everyone on the lists.

That's awesome if it's true! I have all my paperwork together. What Depot you come out of again? UP?