B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Class 12-26-2017:

Stay positive, Stay alert, and get enough rest. This week will be intense and the best way to make through this training is to execute what you have been thought. Its ok on the first 2 days to mess up because you are still learning. But learn from your mistakes and try to correct them before day 6 , 7, 9 or 10 "which will be qualifying day". 

Things to keep in mind to qualify.........

• Be humble
  • Be Safe
  • Operate the Bus
  • Forward Plan
  • Scan your mirrors 
  • Identify and Execute the turns properly
  • Call out everything 
  • Understand what you are about to do and execute it
  • Avoid running through yellow lights "Yellow is red to transit"
  • Make your turns 3 - 5 mph.
  • Cover your brakes as you cross intersections.
  • Cover your right at all time when its necessary.
  • 4 ft space to your right when its necessary

Remember safety is your priority. To avoid touching the curb when making your right turns, when its possible you must have at least 4 ft clearance and hit both your reference and pivot point. Left turns are as follows but you have to identify what reference point  you will need to use to make that turn left turns. 

Good luck 

On 12/13/2017 at 9:16 AM, justdre88 said:

Does anyone know where we could get the clothes we need for the training?

6 hours ago, DueceDrives said:

Class 12-26-2017:

Stay positive, Stay alert, and get enough rest. This week will be intense and the best way to make through this training is to execute what you have been thought. Its ok on the first 2 days to mess up because you are still learning. But learn from your mistakes and try to correct them before day 6 , 7, 9 or 10 "which will be qualifying day". 

Things to keep in mind to qualify.........

• Be humble
  • Be Safe
  • Operate the Bus
  • Forward Plan
  • Scan your mirrors 
  • Identify and Execute the turns properly
  • Call out everything 
  • Understand what you are about to do and execute it
  • Avoid running through yellow lights "Yellow is red to transit"
  • Make your turns 3 - 5 mph.
  • Cover your brakes as you cross intersections.
  • Cover your right at all time when its necessary.
  • 4 ft space to your right when its necessary

Remember safety is your priority. To avoid touching the curb when making your right turns, when its possible you must have at least 4 ft clearance and hit both your reference and pivot point. Left turns are as follows but you have to identify what reference point  you will need to use to make that turn left turns. 

Good luck 

You hit the nail on the head @DueceDrives

7 hours ago, mastap123 said:

Supt gray is strict I heard 

just do what she ask of you and pay attention to what she writes on that yellow paper at the end of everyday and you shouldn’t have a problem getting thru the training 

Thank you, she seems fair so far, everybody at FB says she' awesome 

How is training going for 12/26? Hope all are going well. Today was Day 4 I loved going through the El Pillars. I loved the snow it was great. I only messed up one acute turn because I wasnt properly set up(it was an extremely tight turn onto a two way street). I'm excited for Monday the concrete jungle aka Manhattan. Happy Year everybody and good luck to all of the 12/26 class!  

10 minutes ago, FutureBOtoTO said:

How is training going for 12/26? Hope all are going well. Today was Day 4 I loved going through the El Pillars. I loved the snow it was great. I only messed up one acute turn because I wasnt properly set up(it was an extremely tight turn onto a two way street). I'm excited for Monday the concrete jungle aka Manhattan. Happy Year everybody and good luck to all of the 12/26 class!  

Happy New Year!!! Yeah the el was pretty cool. And not sure if everyone has the same days off but monday were off. We go back tuesday. 

On 12/30/2017 at 7:59 PM, FutureBOtoTO said:

any reference point when it comes to those extremely right turns?

31 minutes ago, Carnage718 said:

any reference point when it comes to those extremely right turns?

All turns are different depending on the situation. But the basic as always 4ft space to the right when it’s necessary, Use your reference point “Beam to the curb or the left tail light of a park vehicle that is park close to the corner where you are going to turn into”. Again some turns you may have to modify it based on whats going on just have to keep in mind the basics.

Example: Theres a double park car close to the corner or a few FT away into the street where you are about to turn. That double park car just change the entire situation on how you would turn normally. At that point you would have to use that double park car left taillight by using the same basic techniques maneuver....

As long theres 4ft space to the right and you hit your reference point correctly, you wont touch the curb. If theres no space available to use the 4ft maneuver, your next option is to use the rear right wheels of the bus as your reference point and pivot the turn.

10 minutes ago, DueceDrives said:

All turns are different depending on the situation. But the basic as always 4ft space to the right when it’s necessary, Use your reference point “Beam to the curb or the left tail light of a park vehicle that is park close to the corner where you are going to turn into”. Again some turns you may have to modify it based on whats going on just have to keep in mind the basics.

Example: Theres a double park car close to the corner or a few FT away into the street where you are about to turn. That double park car just change the entire situation on how you would turn normally. At that point you would have to use that double park car left taillight by using the same basic techniques maneuver....

As long theres 4ft space to the right and you hit your reference point correctly, you wont touch the curb. If theres no space available to use the 4ft maneuver, your next option is to use the rear right wheels of the bus as your reference point and pivot the turn.

copy that.. Thanks