B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, DD32680 said:

That’s what I thought but no...I called a couple of days ago and they said there are no no hires for 2018 that I would have to wait sometime till 2019

From the time that @DD32680 posted this until the last post, there has been some confusion which I would like to clarify:

One of the things that NYC Transit's Human Resources Office does is they hire people off of a list whenever there is a vacancy, or a need to fill a position. Therefore, with the fact that they're telling you to come back in 2019 means that, as of right now, they do not need any more Bus Operators for NYC Transit from now until the end of the year.

As far as Exam 9604 is concerned: Besides the fact that Exam 9604 has it's separate thread/topic, which can be viewed here, that has nothing to do with this current list. The reason why the Examinations Department, not the Department of Buses, extended the list is because they need more candidates to file for the exam so the list which will eventually be produced from taking that examination will be 'healthy' and 'decent', just like how this list has approximately 8,221 candidates while the prior list from Exam 2613 only had 3,621 candidates which they went through in approximately two years. Makes sense?

And yes, for Bus Operator, you do have to take the BOSS in order to receive a list number. The only exception, as it states on the bottom of this page, is that if you successfully took the BOSS within the past calendar year for another Bus Operator exam, whether it is for MTA Bus Company or MaBSTOA, then you do not need to take it again.

Hey guys, list number in the low 3,000s. 

Some questions if you guys dont mind...

I went to pre-employment last year and recieved my packet, however i did not fill it out since I was focused on finishing college...is it possible i can still fill this out and continue on with the process?

Also, how much longer will this list be active before it expires? 

I am also interested in Train Operator, I understand that it is now only a promotional exam from Bus Operator,  how often is this promotion given and how hard (or easy) is it to get the promotion?

Thanks guys, i know this is a heavy post haha.

5 minutes ago, MTAdude said:

Hey guys, list number in the low 3,000s. 

Some questions if you guys dont mind...

I went to pre-employment last year and recieved my packet, however i did not fill it out since I was focused on finishing college...is it possible i can still fill this out and continue on with the process?

Also, how much longer will this list be active before it expires? 

I am also interested in Train Operator, I understand that it is now only a promotional exam from Bus Operator,  how often is this promotion given and how hard (or easy) is it to get the promotion?

Thanks guys, i know this is a heavy post haha.

Not even a rookie yet and asking the heavy questions, lol.

If you never returned to a pre-employment session, then you should have been taken off the list. You will have to call DCAS to get your list # reinstated, and then get in contact with 180 Livingston to reschedule your pre-employment. (They will clarify if you need to do anything further at this point)

The list is good until January 6, 2020.

The last train operator test was Open Competitive. I didn't take it but it's pretty much common sense where you are given scenarios, etc. If you can read a map and schedule, then you should be fine. I'm not sure how prior promotional exams for T/O were. You will get a list number for a promotional exam however, your work record (time/attendance, write-ups, etc.) will be looked at and that will be taken into consideration if you get promoted or not.

1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

You will have to call DCAS to get your list # reinstated, and then get in contact with 180 Livingston to reschedule your pre-employment. (They will clarify if you need to do anything further at this point)

Instead of physically doing down there, you can try to email them using the information which is in this post.

Hope this helps.

Edited by +Young+

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Question. So my girlfriend just ended up getting a house in NJ and we will both be moving out there.  I am currently I had to take myself off the list because of personal issues but I will soon be reinstating my name back onto the list.  Will the MTA not hire me now that I am moving to New Jersey? Just looking for some advise here. I have my CDL now but I was going to transfer it to NJ, I just don't know if they would hire someone with a NJDL Thank you very much for any information that you can provide. 

2 hours ago, Domvolpe427 said:

Hey everyone,

Question. So my girlfriend just ended up getting a house in NJ and we will both be moving out there.  I am currently I had to take myself off the list because of personal issues but I will soon be reinstating my name back onto the list.  Will the MTA not hire me now that I am moving to New Jersey? Just looking for some advise here. I have my CDL now but I was going to transfer it to NJ, I just don't know if they would hire someone with a NJDL Thank you very much for any information that you can provide. 

So I think I may have found my own answer but if someone could confirm.

The application states that I don't need NYC residency for this position but it does say that "A Class B Commercial Driver License (CDL) valid in the State of New York, with a passenger endorsement and no restrictions that would disqualify you from performing the duties of this position"

I am really sorry for this dumb question but I want to be 100% sure. Does this mean I can have ANY state CDL as long as it's valid in the state of NY?

6 hours ago, Domvolpe427 said:

The application states that I don't need NYC residency for this position but it does say that "A Class B Commercial Driver License (CDL) valid in the State of New York, with a passenger endorsement and no restrictions that would disqualify you from performing the duties of this position"

I am really sorry for this dumb question but I want to be 100% sure. Does this mean I can have ANY state CDL as long as it's valid in the state of NY?

According to what I stated here, if you live in New Jersey, Connecticut or Pennsylvania, and if you have your Class B CDL with the "P" endorsement with no other passenger-related restrictions, you're fine. Any out-of-state permit is prohibited. When you report to Livingston Street & Zerega, they will need an abstract which will be less than 30 days old.

Hope this helps.

7 hours ago, Domvolpe427 said:

You're fine. There's plenty of people who has NJ licenses and work in Staten Island here. Just remember to have your abstract like Young mentioned. 

So I just called the DCAS automated system, and the information for this exam is the same as two months ago, in which the list number of the last person certified is 8,221 (which is practically the entire list) and the list number of the last person appointed (aka "hired") is 6,719.

I know it's hard, however, for the rest of us waiting to get called, including me, we just need some patience...that's all...

On 10/10/2018 at 5:54 PM, MTA Groupie said:

Question guys... I know transit doesn’t take you with more than 4pts. on your license, what do that say about accidents(more so not at fault accidents)?! 

Regardless if you're at fault or not, you can have a maximum of two accidents on your abstract within the past three [3] years when you go down to 180 Livingston Street. As it was previously stated, they will not be calling from this list until 2019. Therefore, if you currently have three accidents on your abstract, and the oldest one took place on December 31st, 2015 (or around that time), when you go down to 180 Livingston Street, providing you don't get into another one, you'll be fine.

2 hours ago, +Young+ said:

Regardless if you're at fault or not, you can have a maximum of two accidents on your abstract within the past three [3] years when you go down to 180 Livingston Street. As it was previously stated, they will not be calling from this list until 2019. Therefore, if you currently have three accidents on your abstract, and the oldest one took place on December 31st, 2015 (or around that time), when you go down to 180 Livingston Street, providing you don't get into another one, you'll be fine.

Thanks a bunch for the info!!!

1 hour ago, leaniel3209 said:

Whats a 3 and 1 section 4.7.1 section 61 ?

1 hour ago, leaniel3209 said:

I received a letter today about that crap , i imagine how many people had lost there money with nyc with this crap , supposedly clean driving record , the require license , no criminal history , so why they do this  ? Just stealing peoples money over nonsense

I got a similar letter for the Track Worker position within the past year. To make a long story short, as this post will tell you, for whatever reason, you have been disqualified and your name has been removed from the list. As far as why, they don't elaborate.

If you wish to investigate, you can try to call Ms. Rivera to get an explanation at the information provided in this post. Other than that, there's really no way to appeal, since DCAS has nothing to do with this whatsoever. The fact that they used the 1-in-3 rule against people, is, in my opinion, completely bu**sh**, especially since, from my perspective, there is no hiring pool or anything like that. They can just practically use anything against you for whatever reason, which is a true shame.