B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Insider terms:

OA = MaBSTOA (Manhattan and The Bronx Surface Transit Operating Agency)

BC = MTA Bus Company (refer to post #75)

MTA = Metropolitan Transportation Agency (father of NYC Transit (bus and subway), Metro-North, Long Island Railroad, Capital Construction, etc.)

TA = Transit Authority (aka NYC Transit).

In response to post #74, once you take exam 4600, pass it and then get hired, it could be for any boro or depot located in the 5 boros of NYC. Chances are that the company will send you to one in which there is a need of bus operators, in which the neighborhoods are not that great (e.g. Brooklyn or The Bronx). There are better boros and depots, and you will have a choice once you get enough seniority with the company.

As far as the best exam prep book, if you look at post # 21 for this topic (page 3), I have suggested what I think is the best prep book, even though it is expensive ($200.00). Like they say, "what you pay for is what you get", right?

In response to post #76, the fact that there is an exam about the job does imply Civil Service. If you look at http://www.mta.info/nyct/hr/archives/pdf/3101.pdf, you will see that there is only a BOSS (Bus Operator Selection Survey) exam, which does not guarantee civil service. If you look at this thread and other Bus Operator threads, you will read that several people, who work for MTA Bus Company or MaBSTOA, want to get into NYC Transit, since there are better benefits. 

Next, as stated above in the insider terms, there are three companies, NYC Transit, MaBSTOA and MTA Bus Company.

As stated in post #75, MTA Bus Company was formed to take over the private bus lines.

Refer to http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/32152-is-it-a-really-big-difference-between-mabstoa-and-ta-bus-operators/ for the differences and similarities between MaBSTOA and NYC Transit. Even though this is over a year old, it helps.

In my opinion, I would say that exam 4600 is the better of the three. However, if you prefer the express buses, then you would have to work for the MTA Bus Company, which runs those buses. Refer to http://www.ttmg.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=MTA_Regional_Bus_Destination_Sign_Codes for more information.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks again to young Fan for all the info.

How did you learn all this stuff are you currently driving a NYC bus?

I clicked on the link to the other job posting for BO with OA and I would not have known this was not civil service had you not told me.

I realize there's no exam on that one but it seems like you're working for the MTA and seems unfair to have people working at the same job in different union status. Although I think it has the same pay.

These are the kind of little details I would like to learn about so I can make an informed decision when the time comes.

I have looked through lots of other forums and threads and many people have different opinions and suggestions.

Even which depot you choose, if you get to choose, can be a bad choice if you don't know all the details.

Any info on driver schedules?

Do you get a set start time or does it change / rotate?

How many hours in a typical shift?

What about breaks, bathroom, meal etc?

I read one thread that said it was a 20 minute meal break. And that doesn't consider where you can get food etc. They suggested carrying your own food because of the unknown's of what's available at break time / location.

I've seen several news stories about drivers being attacked.

I imagine it's more common than reported on the news.

I found out today there is one BO exam prep book in the public library and it has 46 holds on it.

Which means it could take years before it is available.

Civil service book shop on lispenard street sells one for $29 cash, but I don't know how good it is.

Any suggestions?

Hi everyone, I'm new here, but have been reading the posts for a while-   great resource for info, thanks to you all--   I took 2613 in Jan and the BOSS this summer- according to the proposed answer key for 2613, it looks like I scored 90%-   Should I file for 4600? Will it affect or interfere with the steps I've already taken?  p.s.  I've been driving access-a-ride for a few months now, as well--   any thoughts?

@Driver11...I learned all of this stuff several ways. One of the ways is through my father, who worked for NYC Transit for 39 years (1966 to 2005). Another way is just by reading stuff online, like this site. 

As far as driver schedules, start time, hours, breaks, etc., I would refer to http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/26877-questions-about-nyct-busmta-bus-training/. From quickly looking at this, I saw some information on page 3 from Bus Operators.

As far as drivers being attacked - it does happen. I just read an article from the TWU (Transport Workers Union) about this, in addition to Transit Transit News doing an episode about this in the past as well. Just need to be careful - that's all. If you look at 

, this should help in the event something happens.

@Membrr...I think the church will give another class or lesson for the exam, probably on December 7th (one week before the exam).  There will be information on this site about it, just like http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/36428-track-worker-exam-no-3600/page-2 (post #17) and http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/page-8 (post #78). If you want more information, email mtanycexamclass@gmail.com.

As far as how to PM, underneath your profile name (top right of the page) will be an envelope. Click on it, that will show you your inbox. Click on "Compose New" and you are good to go...

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

Thanks again to Young Fan for all the help.

I visited the links you posted and I had seen some of that before.

I still have lots of questions, but there is time.

To Membrr....

I was to talking with a signal maintainer a couple of weeks ago.

He said it is extremely dangerous and you are always inches from passing trains.

There are constantly people getting injured.

It is the highest injury job in the system

He is trying to get out of that job for anything else he can find.

Those rub so tender, cant feel a thing next , careful man :unsure: . Same here so much questions . My PM option still dont show on the top right corner . :(

If that is still is the case, then what I would suggest is to click on the "Help and Support" forum on the top, and post a message there. One of the administrators from the site will then help you...

Hi everyone, I'm new here, but have been reading the posts for a while-   great resource for info, thanks to you all--   I took 2613 in Jan and the BOSS this summer- according to the proposed answer key for 2613, it looks like I scored 90%-   Should I file for 4600? Will it affect or interfere with the steps I've already taken?  p.s.  I've been driving access-a-ride for a few months now, as well--   any thoughts?

Hey elwood I drive for AAR in the bronx myself and what a pay raise we will get when and if were hired for B.O

Any info on driver schedules?

Do you get a set start time or does it change / rotate?

How many hours in a typical shift?

What about breaks, bathroom, meal etc?

I read one thread that said it was a 20 minute meal break. And that doesn't consider where you can get food etc. They suggested carrying your own food because of the unknown's of what's available at break time / location.

I've seen several news stories about drivers being attacked.

I imagine it's more common than reported on the news.

I work for the TA as bus operator ill try to answer,

Set shift? Don't think about that till after your first year, you will have to call your depot everyday after 3pm to find your assignment.

Typical shift is anywhere from 8 hours to over 14 hours including swing time (swing time is your break for which you get anywhere from30 min to 6 hours )

I work for the TA as bus operator ill try to answer,

Set shift? Don't think about that till after your first year, you will have to call your depot everyday after 3pm to find your assignment.

Typical shift is anywhere from 8 hours to over 14 hours including swing time (swing time is your break for which you get anywhere from30 min to 6 hours )

Why after 3pm? Is that how it just is...

Also, not to be mean, however if you do work for the TA as a Bus Operator, how come you do not have a badge, like RTS4Life does?

3pm is usually when things get sorted out and they figure where they need you or what time to report, 90% of the time you will be on what they call the extra list, so you will drive the runs on which other operators are out sick , or they will have you hang out and if maybe there's a breakdown you will be sent out to cover those runs.

As far as having a badge on my profile? I have no idea how to set it up honestly.

EXAM 4600 has been  (AMENDEDAug 7 - Sep 3, 2013

Does TA really need that many bus operators or are they just making money hand over fist on applications? Wasn't there a huge turnout for 2613, an exam whose list hasn't even been established yet? Won't someone who scored a 70 on Exam 2613 get hired before someone who scored 100 on Exam 4600?

Does TA really need that many bus operators or are they just making money hand over fist on applications? Wasn't there a huge turnout for 2613, an exam whose list hasn't even been established yet? Won't someone who scored a 70 on Exam 2613 get hired before someone who scored 100 on Exam 4600?

Technically yes, but there is a pretty high failure rate as well. My class was 51 or 52 people only 35 moved to line training, which doeant.include.if people fail DMV

Hi Im new to the forum, I would like to know how long does it normally take to be called after passing the exam?

A really long ass time. It took me 5yrs and still ain't get fully processed. Just so happen they stopped hiring as soon as they got to my #. Lol. Keep whatever job u have now and some faith. Good luck!