B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@161--  I think you're fine.  The only time I've ever filled work history/education etc. were on test apps for certain positions that required specific education and experience, like certain DCAS jobs-  

Spoke to the lady behind the window at 180, she wouldn't say if the results or list for 2613 were going to be out next month...  fingers crossed, but I filed for 4600 anyway.

Just out of curiosity; 

Was I supposed to fill in other information besides my name, address, DOB and SSN when submitting the application?

I'm kinda surprised that there were no fields to add in work history, education, etc.. Did I do something wrong?

:unsure: 

Thanks..

There's no education or previous work history required for this position, hence why you did not fill any out.

I 'm not sure if this question has been ask and answered already or if It can be ask here, but anywho. I took the BOSS test for exam 2301 and pass, but I'm thinking about taking the 4600, I was wondering if this is a bad idea and would it interfere with my standings on the 2301 list.

Any advise is appreciated.

I 'm not sure if this question has been ask and answered already or if It can be ask here, but anywho. I took the BOSS test for exam 2301 and pass, but I'm thinking about taking the 4600, I was wondering if this is a bad idea and would it interfere with my standings on the 2301 list.

Any advise is appreciated.

It wouldnt interfere with your standings for the 2301 exam. You would be on 2 different lists one that is Mta bus company(2301) and TA (4600). Both are separate processings. Hope that helps.

It wouldnt interfere with your standings for the 2301 exam. You would be on 2 different lists one that is Mta bus company(2301) and TA (4600). Both are separate processings. Hope that helps.

Awesome thanks for your reply it does help. now that they have extended the 4600 filing deadline to 9-3-13 i will definitely jump on it asap.

Thanks again

There's no education or previous work history required for this position, hence why you did not fill any out.

@161--  I think you're fine.  The only time I've ever filled work history/education etc. were on test apps for certain positions that required specific education and experience, like certain DCAS jobs-  

Spoke to the lady behind the window at 180, she wouldn't say if the results or list for 2613 were going to be out next month...  fingers crossed, but I filed for 4600 anyway.

Many thanks. Thankfully I didn't blow the dust off my resume :P Best of luck to all. :)

@Driver11...I learned all of this stuff several ways. One of the ways is through my father, who worked for NYC Transit for 39 years (1966 to 2005). Another way is just by reading stuff online, like this site. 

As far as driver schedules, start time, hours, breaks, etc., I would refer to http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/26877-questions-about-nyct-busmta-bus-training/. From quickly looking at this, I saw some information on page 3 from Bus Operators.

As far as drivers being attacked - it does happen. I just read an article from the TWU (Transport Workers Union) about this, in addition to Transit Transit News doing an episode about this in the past as well. Just need to be careful - that's all. If you look at 

, this should help in the event something happens.

@Membrr...I think the church will give another class or lesson for the exam, probably on December 7th (one week before the exam).  There will be information on this site about it, just like http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/36428-track-worker-exam-no-3600/page-2 (post #17) and http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/page-8 (post #78). If you want more information, email mtanycexamclass@gmail.com.

As far as how to PM, underneath your profile name (top right of the page) will be an envelope. Click on it, that will show you your inbox. Click on "Compose New" and you are good to go...

@Driver11...I learned all of this stuff several ways. One of the ways is through my father, who worked for NYC Transit for 39 years (1966 to 2005). Another way is just by reading stuff online, like this site. 

As far as driver schedules, start time, hours, breaks, etc., I would refer to http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/26877-questions-about-nyct-busmta-bus-training/. From quickly looking at this, I saw some information on page 3 from Bus Operators.

As far as drivers being attacked - it does happen. I just read an article from the TWU (Transport Workers Union) about this, in addition to Transit Transit News doing an episode about this in the past as well. Just need to be careful - that's all. If you look at 

, this should help in the event something happens.

@Membrr...I think the church will give another class or lesson for the exam, probably on December 7th (one week before the exam).  There will be information on this site about it, just like http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/36428-track-worker-exam-no-3600/page-2 (post #17) and http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/page-8 (post #78). If you want more information, email mtanycexamclass@gmail.com.

As far as how to PM, underneath your profile name (top right of the page) will be an envelope. Click on it, that will show you your inbox. Click on "Compose New" and you are good to go...

Good info. I called the number and talked to the gentleman about the next course which will be on or about November 16 2013 At 85-15 101 Ave Christ Lutheran Church in south Ozone Park Queens 10416, Opens @9am and starts around 10am. 6 Hour course. I am exicted to participate. I sent them an e-mail and waiting for them to confirm  the date and place. I think it was 75 bucks? Extra info is always better.

Another question I have is that I went to the DMV and took the written test for the CDL General, Air Brakes, School, And Passenger enodorsement. I have not yet practiced driving a "bus".  I did schedule a roadtest myself for October in the bronx Zerega Ave,  just to see if i pass it and to get the idea of what they are asking for. Im not sure if this is a place where anyone can recommend a good driving school that can "Teach me" the basics and to use for the road test. If i pass the exam on my own then I would be ready with a CDL License, but yet little to no experience.

I heard that MTA like Newbies better because they train them the way they want to drive with out the bad habbits.

I understand its a long shot, but if anyone does have anything further to add I would appreciate it.

Side note, Will having slightly elevated blood pressure, take no med just baby asprin, deny you for the job when called?

My DOT Certificate is good for 2 years and was on the cut off @ 137/94, i understand if it was higher then I would get  DOT Cert for 1 year or so.

Good info. I called the number and talked to the gentleman about the next course which will be on or about November 16 2013 At 85-15 101 Ave Christ Lutheran Church in south Ozone Park Queens 10416, Opens @9am and starts around 10am. 6 Hour course. I am exicted to participate. I sent them an e-mail and waiting for them to confirm  the date and place. I think it was 75 bucks? Extra info is always better.

Another question I have is that I went to the DMV and took the written test for the CDL General, Air Brakes, School, And Passenger enodorsement. I have not yet practiced driving a "bus".  I did schedule a roadtest myself for October in the bronx Zerega Ave,  just to see if i pass it and to get the idea of what they are asking for. Im not sure if this is a place where anyone can recommend a good driving school that can "Teach me" the basics and to use for the road test. If i pass the exam on my own then I would be ready with a CDL License, but yet little to no experience.

I heard that MTA like Newbies better because they train them the way they want to drive with out the bad habbits.

I understand its a long shot, but if anyone does have anything further to add I would appreciate it.

Side note, Will having slightly elevated blood pressure, take no med just baby asprin, deny you for the job when called?

My DOT Certificate is good for 2 years and was on the cut off @ 137/94, i understand if it was higher then I would get  DOT Cert for 1 year or so.

The course will probably be on November 9th since the exam is on November 16th.

As far as blood pressure is concerned, have you ever tried cinnamon? From donating blood several times, IMHO, this does help to lower the blood pressure. I do not know how much lower, but it definitely helps.

The exam set December 14. When i talked to the guy on the phone he stated the class will be on November 16..

=Never heard of donating and cinnamon.. 

How many questions are there?

Thanks 

Izzy

Yeah I did get confused...sorry about that. Anyways, when I took exam 2613, there were 80 questions...I am personally predicting the same amount of questions at 1.25 points each.

Since I am a committed platelet donor (http://nybloodcenter.org/media/filer_public/2013/06/04/nybc_platelet_info_flyer_web_13.pdf for more information) I have completed over 110 (yes, one hundred and ten) donations with the NY Blood Center. Each time before I donate, providing I remember, I usually sprinkle some cinnamon on my food and in my yogurt. As a result, when they take my blood pressure, it is usually 120/80 or lower. Refer to http://voices.yahoo.com/does-cinnamon-reduce-high-blood-pressure-7982336.html for more information, or just do a search for blood pressure and cinnamon.

As a result, a day or two before you are called down to 180 Livingston Street, I would recommend you sprinkle cinnamon on all of your meals. This should help, at least temporarily.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

Thats great I never heard of the cinnamon thing before good info, but also a little jogging or physical activity wont hurt either.

Nah... I am not gonna spray anything on anything.

BTW, I just heard on 1010wins, they found that if you eat Greek Yogurt with STRAWBERRY flavor you may be found positive for MARIJUANA. Other flavors are Ok though. 

Is there a guide out there specifically covering the NYC landmarks that would be mentioned during this exam?

NYC is full of landmarks, looking through the threads, it seems far reaching and anything seems game. I'm going to use bus maps for this portion and may even may visit some of them :)

Is there a guide out there specifically covering the NYC landmarks that would be mentioned during this exam?

The questions are ALL multiple choice and you will be issued a map of Manhattan (which have landmarks and street's labeled) along with your bubble sheet at the exam. If you feel you want to become more familiar with the borough as well as where to locate landmarks on the map on your own just google the map itself or the nyc landmarks separately.

Edited by Syrenity

The questions are ALL multiple choice and you will be issued a map of Manhattan (which have landmarks and street's labeled) along with your bubble sheet at the exam. If you feel you want to become more familiar with the borough as well as where to locate landmarks on the map on your own just google the map itself or the nyc landmarks separately.

If you're issued a map of Manhattan at the exam, does that mean it's an "open book" exam?  Or would for example, the Manhattan bridge be pictured, but with no label?

If you're issued a map of Manhattan at the exam, does that mean it's an "open book" exam?  Or would for example, the Manhattan bridge be pictured, but with no label?

It will be a traditional map of the city with everything named: street's, waterways, park's, museums etc