B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

What do you mean when you say covering the right side win 4 feet of clearance?

First, you need to cover your right at all times in order to prevent any other vehicles from entering that space. Keep in mind that as an operator of a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV), DMV wants you to stay to the right to begin with to let everyone else pass you by, since the weight of your vehicle is a lot greater and, if your bus is full to capacity, you have a lot more people in your bus compared to a regular car.

As far as 4 feet of clearance, in addition to covering your right, you also need to keep 4 feet of clearance. This is so when you make your right turn, you can make the turn in the form of an "L" and there will be enough room for your pivot point, aka the rear tires, to clear, providing you used your proper reference point. For making the right turn, I believe (from 2014) it was the curb to the vertical bar.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anytime there's space you should keep 4 foot clearance. This is because you will have significant space in case some one opens there door you won't hit it or if a idiot steps off the curb . but you got to space Only 4 feet because if a car fits thru your right side an passes you they won't like that

Use your nervousness to your advantage, use it to focus on the task at hand. Think about the people in your family that will benefit from your success and make it happen, if i could do it I'm sure you can also.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Well said n congrats. For everyone else have patients our turn will come n stay positive.

Going on day 6 tomorrow. Looking to pass on day 7. What should I expect? And what advice can anyone give me?

Everything you learned in the first 5 days rolled in one, make no mistakes. Make all your turns clean, call out all the hazards, identity the turns you need to make because you will see a mixture of turns they will throw at you. Give the right away to all pedestrians. Don't get caught by the yellow light. If you are lucky enough you will get to go 3rd or 4th, take the time to see the course and identify the tricky spots and difficult turns. Learn quickly from any mistakes those that go before you make. You will see atleast 2 tricky turns, I'd tell you but i don't want to spoil the fun. If you get a passing grade on day 6 you will have to do the same for day 7 to qualify. Focus, and have fun. Remember if you dont make it on day 7 you still have day 9 and 10, i qualified on day 9 btw because of 1 mistake. Goodluck and keep us posted!

Good Morning Everyone... So I just checked the DCAS hotline for Sunday's update and they are back to: "ON AN OUTSTANDING CERTIFICATION" so anyone with a list number of 96 to probably as high 300 should be on the lookout for pre-employment letter. As I have described a few weeks ago when status is "ON AN OUSTANDING CERTIFICATION" it means they are pulling more applicants from the list.

Good Luck To All !

i been on outstanding certification for almost 4 months now and my list no is 58*. it means nothing. i also on an track worker exam they hired 700 and my list r in the 6400 i also on an outstanding certification lol. from what i read and the people said all that matters is the list no that got hired then u should know approx when they will sent out employment letters.

Edited by busdriver3333

Anyone in the 200s get a letter yet?

Probably a better question might be has anybody in the 100s get a letter. Last appointed number was 95. Don't believe what has been reported on this site a couple of months ago that they sent letters to the first 200, that just not true. Maybe now we will see some letters since the list is currently on "Outstanding Certification" which means they are actively pulling from the list.

Probably a better question might be has anybody in the 100s get a letter. Last appointed number was 95. Don't believe what has been reported on this site a couple of months ago that they sent letters to the first 200, that just not true. Maybe now we will see some letters since the list is currently on "Outstanding Certification" which means they are actively pulling from the list.

I know number 13x who works with me and they got a letter a while back

Quick question. I already have my CDL, class B with A3 exemption. I recently got a tentative job offer with a private company & they paid to do the DOT physical (quick note, I don't need a CDL for this company, just a regular license) Should I go to DMV to amend my license or leave it with A3 exemption?

I know number 13x who works with me and they got a letter a while back

Define "Letter". Most of us have received letters. If your friend got a pre-employment letter a while back then he/she would have been hired/appointed and DCAS and MTA Hiring center would not be reporting last appointed as 95 for list 4600. You wrote "who works with me" which means your friend isn't working with the MTA yet. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but just trying to understand your point. Pre-Employment Letters is what we are all waiting for, which will instruct us to come in to start the hiring process.

Hi my list number is 19# and I receive my letter in March and I went for the drug test and I was told within 3 to 90 days But I called 2 weeks ago and I spoke to Mrs. chestnuts and She told me in August nothing is going on now they up to #34 not #95.

Quick question. I already have my CDL, class B with A3 exemption. I recently got a tentative job offer with a private company & they paid to do the DOT physical (quick note, I don't need a CDL for this company, just a regular license) Should I go to DMV to amend my license or leave it with A3 exemption?

I am not familiar with a non-CDL license that requires a DOT physical. That's a new one for me. As far as amending your license, unless its required by this private company I wouldn't. You will need a Class B with A3 exemption along with Air Brakes and Passenger (P) endorsement. Just to be clear, air brakes is not an endorsement its actually a class B without the (L) restriction. Perhaps someone else can offer more insight a DOT Physical for a regular license.

I am not familiar with a non-CDL license that requires a DOT physical. That's a new one for me. As far as amending your license, unless its required by this private company I wouldn't. You will need a Class B with A3 exemption along with Air Brakes and Passenger (P) endorsement. Just to be clear, air brakes is not an endorsement its actually a class B without the (L) restriction. Perhaps someone else can offer more insight a DOT Physical for a regular license.

Thanks.. I already have all required endorsements, BTW this company is FedEx, which requires a DOT physical but no CDL required,

Thanks.. I already have all required endorsements, BTW this company is FedEx, which requires a DOT physical but no CDL required,

i had to dot physical with my current company. its basically is a medical certificate with that u can have ur A3 restriction remove by submitting it to the dmv.

If I was you, I wouldn't bother.

Also, with the "outstanding certification," just out of curiosity, I also called the DCAS # (212-669-1357) as far as my status and I am also on "outstanding certification," even though I have to wait until February of 2019 (as a result of me failing the 10-day training session in Feb. 2014) and my list number is in the 1600's.

Therefore, there must be a miscommunication with DCAS & NYC Transit - I would just ignore this until further notice.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan
Typo...

If I wasn't you, I wouldn't bother.

Also, with the "outstanding certification," just out of curiosity, I also called the DCAS # (212-669-1357) as far as my status and I am also on "outstanding certification," even though I have to wait until February of 2019 (as a result of me failing the 10-day training session in Feb. 2014) and my list number is in the 1600's.

Therefore, there must be a miscommunication with DCAS & NYC Transit - I would just ignore this until further notice.

Based on how things work technology-wise, it appears someone at the MTA checked-out the entire list or a very large portion of it. As I explained several weeks ago, whenever the MTA needs to pull names from the 4600 list, they login to DCAS, specify a quantity of names to "download" or "checkout". The may only need to get 100 or so names but they could also just skip the search criteria and pull the whole list, resulting on the entire list being on an "outstanding certification". I wouldn't and usually don't try to read too much into why some numbers/people are or are not in outstanding certification status but rather use the fact that when any portion of the list is on "outstanding certification" as indicator of hiring activity. When the status is "not on an outstanding certification" I know they stopped pulling names and are doing something with the names selected. For me personally its just a way to know when to be extra attentive to the mail and perhaps feel free to go on a short vacation without worrying that they will notify me while I am away.