B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Remember you need to do really well on both days to qualify on day 7.

If you don't do well on both days 6 & 7, it's not the end of the world. You will have another instructor for days 8 & 9 out of another depot. You'll have day 8 to make all of the mistakes you want, but you have to be perfect on, and only on, day 9. From what I recall from 2014: The route for day 9 is Uptown Manhattan & at that time, everyone was coming out of the 126th Street Depot. Even my Day 8 & 9 instructor, who came out of the Gun Hill Bus Depot, spoke to another Superintendent behind one of my co-worker's backs about one of their specific bad habits, which I couldn't believe.

And yes, they do pay you during the 10 day training, at the same rate as in the Notice of Examination.

Edited by +Young+
Grammar...

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank You Mr Young. I'm new to this post.

I probably have a few bad habits. I've been driving transit here in Los Angeles for the past 17 years. Born and raised in the Bronx. Looking to retire here and move back to New York. list number 8##

So you have 4 tries (days) to pass? Wonder who completes the 1st time

My apologies for wording it incorrectly, you have three tries to pass:

The first one is by driving perfect on days six and seven.

The second one is by driving perfect on day 9 in Uptown Manhattan with a different instructor (similar route to Day 6).

The third one is by driving perfect on day 10 in the Bronx with two instructors.

So you have 4 tries (days) to pass? Wonder who completes the 1st time

You have 3 tries, to pass day 7 you need to get a satisfactory rating on day 6 &7 to pass day 9 you need to get satisfactory on day 9 and if all else fails you can try again day 10.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Don't take the posts for gospel think for yourself, what was good for one may not be good for you. The instructors are not your friends they make it tough because it is tough job. If you can take their abuse you might be able to take the abuse from the public because you have to bite your tongue sometimes so not to say something stupid to a customer, say the wrong thing and it's out the door.

I feel like the instructors are like that so as to test your resolve, if you can't handle one guy screaming at you even though he might get fired for his conduct like was previously stated, how are you going to handle 30 people cursing you out with nothing to lose? When I did my private lessons my instructor was rude as well, he fell asleep many times which made me think either i'm a decent driver or he doesn't value his life. Most times I tune people out and take the message from the rudeness. Example; Instructor says no you damn idiot, i told you check your mirrors. All my mind hears is "check your mirrors".

Even in my personal vehicle, I been practicing using mirrors more and observing and calling out clearance, pedestrian, vehicular(e.g. double parked cars on the opposite side of the street) and road hazards (potholes/bumps). My main concern with this is covering the right, entering and exiting bus stops I feel like I might clip a few mirrors on the right side. I also notice drivers opening their doors to exit without watching their mirrors and the bus has to swerve to avoid that. Any ideas on whether or not that is a legit concern and any tips?

Lastly, my secondary concerns are top speed and night time driving. How fast is a regular bus supposed to go? I see some flying by and some drivers really take their time. When i was learning, my instructor said I was going too slow n then too fast, because I know slamming on the brakes is a no-no, I was wondering for the 10 days, whats the optimal range for city streets? about 20mph and 5 when pulling into a bus stop?

I feel like the instructors are like that so as to test your resolve, if you can't handle one guy screaming at you even though he might get fired for his conduct like was previously stated, how are you going to handle 30 people cursing you out with nothing to lose? When I did my private lessons my instructor was rude as well, he fell asleep many times which made me think either i'm a decent driver or he doesn't value his life. Most times I tune people out and take the message from the rudeness. Example; Instructor says no you damn idiot, i told you check your mirrors. All my mind hears is "check your mirrors".

Even in my personal vehicle, I been practicing using mirrors more and observing and calling out clearance, pedestrian, vehicular(e.g. double parked cars on the opposite side of the street) and road hazards (potholes/bumps). My main concern with this is covering the right, entering and exiting bus stops I feel like I might clip a few mirrors on the right side. I also notice drivers opening their doors to exit without watching their mirrors and the bus has to swerve to avoid that. Any ideas on whether or not that is a legit concern and any tips?

Lastly, my secondary concerns are top speed and night time driving. How fast is a regular bus supposed to go? I see some flying by and some drivers really take their time. When i was learning, my instructor said I was going too slow n then too fast, because I know slamming on the brakes is a no-no, I was wondering for the 10 days, whats the optimal range for city streets? about 20mph and 5 when pulling into a bus stop?

Give yourself 4 feet of clearance on the right at all times..mph on a bus is 15 to 20..turning corners, 3 to 5.. mph..

MTAonDeck, where did you get additional lessons? And did they use a school bus or a charter bus?

I went to Ferrari driving school and it was on a school bus.

Sadly I didn't qualify on Day 7 smh but none of us qualified which is a bummer. I noticed my mistake early on but by then it's kindof too late to correct it. They want to make sure you don't ever make any mistakes so even if you correct it second go around, it's kindof too late. My biggest issue is leaving too much room on my right. I always think that I'm going going hit a parked car or something so when I turn, I lean moreso to the left which they don't like because they don't want any cars to attempt to pass you on the right. Also when the countdown walk sign hits 5 seconds, I was told its best to just slow down and stop because by the time you hit the intersection, it's already yellow and they NEVER want you crossing when it's yellow lol. I did. Welp lesson learned. I get one more day of practice today and on to qualifying on day 9 smh.

Sadly I didn't qualify on Day 7 smh but none of us qualified which is a bummer. I noticed my mistake early on but by then it's kindof too late to correct it. They want to make sure you don't ever make any mistakes so even if you correct it second go around, it's kindof too late. My biggest issue is leaving too much room on my right. I always think that I'm going going hit a parked car or something so when I turn, I lean moreso to the left which they don't like because they don't want any cars to attempt to pass you on the right. Also when the countdown walk sign hits 5 seconds, I was told its best to just slow down and stop because by the time you hit the intersection, it's already yellow and they NEVER want you crossing when it's yellow lol. I did. Welp lesson learned. I get one more day of practice today and on to qualifying on day 9 smh.

This is like i said, my primary concern, i've seen buses take off side mirrors, guy leaving the car opened the door without watching and the bus took it off. Because some people park their private cars badly, you have less space on the right and sometimes have to cross over into the left lane at short notice to avoid a collision. I read either on this thread or on the previous bus exam thread the same thing also regarding the countdown walk sigh, never get caught in the intersection on yellow or red.

I had the same issue when i was getting my CDL A, i eventually got a grip on the lights thing, i look ahead way before to see if its blinking so i know to slow down ahead of time and that helps however it isn't 100%. Some lights they change to Red in like 5 seconds. I trained in Maspeth, there's a light there doesn't even go to yellow, straight from green to red with a 1-2-3 blink then red, ridiculous shit. However, I still struggle with covering the right with any vehicle, my advice and anyone can correct me on this, I usually stay in the right lane but as far left as possible without stepping on the white line, that helps with a private car but again, because of how some fools park their cars, might be harder with a bus, you might frequently have to step over into the other lane just to avoid those obstacles.

Give yourself 4 feet of clearance on the right at all times..mph on a bus is 15 to 20..turning corners, 3 to 5.. mph..

4 feet damn, think my aforementioned advice might be enough? i Mean that's all the lane there is for the right lane so it should suffice no? Slower is better for me, 3 to 5 on corners seems perfect. Thank you

This is like i said, my primary concern, i've seen buses take off side mirrors, guy leaving the car opened the door without watching and the bus took it off. Because some people park their private cars badly, you have less space on the right and sometimes have to cross over into the left lane at short notice to avoid a collision. I read either on this thread or on the previous bus exam thread the same thing also regarding the countdown walk sigh, never get caught in the intersection on yellow or red.

I had the same issue when i was getting my CDL A, i eventually got a grip on the lights thing, i look ahead way before to see if its blinking so i know to slow down ahead of time and that helps however it isn't 100%. Some lights they change to Red in like 5 seconds. I trained in Maspeth, there's a light there doesn't even go to yellow, straight from green to red with a 1-2-3 blink then red, ridiculous shit. However, I still struggle with covering the right with any vehicle, my advice and anyone can correct me on this, I usually stay in the right lane but as far left as possible without stepping on the white line, that helps with a private car but again, because of how some fools park their cars, might be harder with a bus, you might frequently have to step over into the other lane just to avoid those obstacles.

4 feet damn, think my aforementioned advice might be enough? i Mean that's all the lane there is for the right lane so it should suffice no? Slower is better for me, 3 to 5 on corners seems perfect. Thank you

Actually, they want you to drive on the white line...(steering wheel over white line)...cars on the left will be honking, ignore them....also any slower than 15mph can fail you..

When I went, they informed me (early spring) that they wanted everything resolved before going forward with the hiring process..

When I went, they informed me (early spring) that they wanted everything resolved before going forward with the hiring process..

Wow, that's gonna be bad, I got rescheduled for June 17, my list number is 101x, hopefully I can try and get an earlier date

Just realize that with the school bus the front axle is in front of you, compared to the TA bus which is behind you.

Actually, they want you to drive on the white line...(steering wheel over white line)...cars on the left will be honking, ignore them....also any slower than 15mph can fail you..

In my opinion, that's what's nice about having your CDL beforehand - since you don't have to worry about a road test, you don't have to worry about how DMV wants you to drive - just the TA.

Just realize that with the school bus the front axle is in front of you, compared to the TA bus which is behind you.

In my opinion, that's what's nice about having your CDL beforehand - since you don't have to worry about a road test, you don't have to worry about how DMV wants you to drive - just the TA.

This is true..I've heard of people qualifying on day 10, then failed the DMV road test...that's it..you're done...

This is true..I've heard of people qualifying on day 10, then failed the DMV road test...that's it..you're done...

And if you go to Day 10, you only have one chance for the road test!

Hi I have a question about "under control". What do they mean by under control? Is it that ur blood pressure drop blow 140/90 or does it has to be 120/80 blow? And matintain the level for long period of time?

If your blood pressure is in between 110/70 and 130/90, you're good. As far as "under control", with a note from a doctor, they just want to see how you have control over the medical condition you have in conjunction with your doctor - taking medication, such as a pill once a day, is a common example. For me with my muscle spasm in my legs, that situation is "under control" by me stretching, ideally, twice a day.

Got it?