B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Hey mta on deck. How did your 4th guy do on day 10?

4th guy didn't pass training. JerseyTransit spoke to him and he said that he's okay with the decision. He's on the list for conductor and should be getting called soon for that and he took train operator too.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mtaondeck by the way what depot did u train out of

I was uptown in Harlem.

Wow that sucks. Where did u train it of mtaondeck

Congrats on making it through the process though. Good luck on your training. Keep us posted and let us know how it goes. I have my road test on Thursday so my fingers are crossed.

I was uptown in Harlem.

Were you in Mother Clara Hale with Sup. Quarless?

Flatbush. Supt gray. I was in the left corner in the back? What about u

So was I, I was the last guy in alphabetical order lol
Edited by mct9891

Svjbk. U got to go down for the appointment and let them know u want to be out on hold. What's your list number by the way

cool, thank you. Do I need to still fill out the paperwork they sent since I'm only going down to be placed on hold?

82x my list number

Edited by Svjbk

No shit. I was in the row right before the last. Short guy with a blue shirt lol. Seriously tho short guy I was the one who asked the question about what's the passing rate on average for training and he said don't worry about that lol

And you were unsure about which depot in Queens you wanted, right?

Question guys, Do all new hires have to train in Manhattan? Also, driving under the train tracks like in the Bronx, that cannot be easy, would they give you something like that to train on? I know Westchester and Southern Blvd in the Bronx has a depot near there or something. I would hate to have to learn to drive over there, horrible pedestrians, customers and then I be seeing buses driving past tractor trailers under the train tracks tight fit. Kinda trying to mentally prepare myself as well, even though I got time still, I like to have my head in the game way before it actually happens so when I do get the call I am skillfully and mentally prepared

Thanks. Just take everything in...don't question anything. Instructors are not the nicest so just ignore, listen and focus on your driving skills. Drive slowly lol. You tend to make less mistakes when you are at a slower pace. The one guy that didn't qualify with us kept driving too quickly. Watch YouTube lol. Pre-trips and air brakes test etc would become part of your daily routine so know it like the back of your hand. Best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Hopefully these handouts will help you with your pre-trip (last two images) along with other things.

For the Air Brake Test, remember A L S A P S:

- Initial air loss rate check (can't loose more than 3 psi per minute)

L  - Low air rate check (@60 psi, warning siren comes on indicating low air pressure)

S  - Spring Brake Check (@30psi, parking brake springs up)

A  - Air Compressor Cut Off Test (Air pressure cuts off @120 psi, step on gas to speed this up)

P  - Parking Brake Test (vehicle does not move when parking brake is applied)

S  - Service Brake Test (move vehicle 5 to 10 feet, service brakes work)

No shit. I was in the row right before the last. Short guy with a blue shirt lol. Seriously tho short guy I was the one who asked the question about what's the passing rate on average for training and he said don't worry about that lol

If you watch this YouTube clip, at 1 minute and 25 seconds, "23% of those hired will fail out of the initial training."

cool, thank you. Do I need to still fill out the paperwork they sent since I'm only going down to be placed on hold?

82x my list number

Not necessarily, I would though at least start it, this way if you have any questions or need additional blank copies for your work experience, or anything else, you will be able to get them.

Question guys, Do all new hires have to train in Manhattan? Also, driving under the train tracks like in the Bronx, that cannot be easy, would they give you something like that to train on? I know Westchester and Southern Blvd in the Bronx has a depot near there or something. I would hate to have to learn to drive over there, horrible pedestrians, customers and then I be seeing buses driving past tractor trailers under the train tracks tight fit. Kinda trying to mentally prepare myself as well, even though I got time still, I like to have my head in the game way before it actually happens so when I do get the call I am skillfully and mentally prepared

The answer to your first question is no. For training, they "randomly" pick a depot for you to report to anywhere in the 5 boroughs. For the second question, from what I recall from 2014, they only make you do that one of the days when you do the elevated pillars - so don't worry about it.

In addition on Day 5, everybody drives in Uptown Manhattan, on Day 6, everybody drives in Union Square/Lower Manhattan, and on Day 9 (if you still have to qualify), you drive in Uptown Manhattan.

Edited by +Young+
Additional Information...

Hopefully these handouts will help you with your pre-trip (last two images) along with other things.

For the Air Brake Test, remember A L S A P S:

- Initial air loss rate check (can't loose more than 3 psi per minute)

L  - Low air rate check (@60 psi, warning siren comes on indicating low air pressure)

S  - Spring Brake Check (@30psi, parking brake springs up)

A  - Air Compressor Cut Off Test (Air pressure cuts off @120 psi, step on gas to speed this up)

P  - Parking Brake Test (vehicle does not move when parking brake is applied)

S  - Service Brake Test (move vehicle 5 to 10 feet, service brakes work)

If you watch this YouTube clip, at 1 minute and 25 seconds, "23% of those hired will fail out of the initial training."

Not necessarily, I would though at least start it, this way if you have any questions or need additional blank copies for your work experience, or anything else, you will be able to get them.

The answer to your first question is no. For training, they "randomly" pick a depot for you to report to anywhere in the 5 boroughs. For the second question, from what I recall from 2014, they only make you do that one of the days when you do the elevated pillars - so don't worry about it.

Thanx for the alsap break down! , im gonna be going over these for the next two weeks. What kind of bus were you training on? was it the new ones with the huge windows and was staten island  part of any training depots? 

So day 1, for those of you who are interested, consisted of the Sup. explaining to us what he wants. Forward planning (12-15 seconds), 4' clearance, reference points, pivot points, calling out hazards, 3-5 mph turns, scanning mirrors every 3-5 seconds etc, the 3 S's (Safety, Service, Schedule), and basically to call out any potential hazard possible... If a squirrel runs across the street, point it out!

We learned how to turn on the bus, our PNI's (Park, Neutral, Interlock), Pre-trip inspection (including ALSAPS), right and left turns, 

We each drove about 30-35 min each, performing at least 4 left turns and 4 right turns.

So day 1, for those of you who are interested, consisted of the Sup. explaining to us what he wants. Forward planning (12-15 seconds), 4' clearance, reference points, pivot points, calling out hazards, 3-5 mph turns, scanning mirrors every 3-5 seconds etc, the 3 S's (Safety, Service, Schedule), and basically to call out any potential hazard possible... If a squirrel runs across the street, point it out!

We learned how to turn on the bus, our PNI's (Park, Neutral, Interlock), Pre-trip inspection (including ALSAPS), right and left turns, 

We each drove about 30-35 min each, performing at least 4 left turns and 4 right turns.

on the interlock part.. is it done with the brake or the door handle? 

also what depot are you training in ?

Thanx for the alsap break down! , im gonna be going over these for the next two weeks. What kind of bus were you training on? was it the new ones with the huge windows and was staten island  part of any training depots? 

First, no problem. It's more or less a general idea, the exact wording may be different, such as the Parking Brake popping out instead of Springing out. Hopefully you, and the other folks, find those handouts helpful as well.

Second, the type of bus I was on was the standard Orion VII bus..one of the buses I was on, out of Flatbush can actually be seen in this YouTube clip (recognize the logo on the passenger side??). There were some depots on Staten Island which were included in the first seven days of training.

The interlock is put on with the door handle (1:00 or 4:00 position), and it's released by the service brake by stepping on it completely before you take off.

on the interlock part.. is it done with the brake or the door handle?

also what depot are you training in ?

MCH in Manhattan.

The interlock is done with both the door control and the brake. You must set the door control in either rear or front and rear, then depress the brake to engage the interlock.

Edited by mct9891

First, no problem. It's more or less a general idea, the exact wording may be different, such as the Parking Brake popping out instead of Springing out. Hopefully you, and the other folks, find those handouts helpful as well.

Second, the type of bus I was on was the standard Orion VII bus..one of the buses I was on, out of Flatbush can actually be seen in this YouTube clip (recognize the logo on the passenger side??). There were some depots on Staten Island which were included in the first seven days of training.

The interlock is put on with the door handle (1:00 or 4:00 position), and it's released by the service brake by stepping on it completely before you take off.

gotcha! thank you

Day 2 we practiced more turns, including acute turns and S or "hook" turns. inclines and declines, and pretty much everything I mentioned in my day 1 post. We were also rated satisfactory or unsatisfactory in certain specific things. 

We each got at least an hour and 15 min of driving time.

hey guys i have questions for some of the guys who got on the job recently or anybody who has info on what shifts you get when/if you make it out of training and how the benifits are as well as the pension plan. TIA