B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Forget all that stuff vgilb. Just worry about training. Trust me lol. You will probably get a 4pm-12pm shift. The benefits are city benefits so obviously they are great. But trust me forget all that stuff and just focus on making it out of training when you get there

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forget all that stuff vgilb. Just worry about training. Trust me lol. You will probably get a 4pm-12pm shift... But trust me forget all that stuff and just focus on making it out of training when you get there

I agree 100%...don't get too ahead of yourself! That's another mistake I made in 2014...

SO ive been watching some you tube videos of the training buses doing the acute turn  on 14 street in union sq ... can somebody share the different kinds of turns and there references points,  Acute turn is bumper to curb and start turning early or so im reading ,,etc etc.. just wanna be prepared with some knowledge before i get in that driver seat in 2 weeks haha

SO ive been watching some you tube videos of the training buses doing the acute turn  on 14 street in union sq ... can somebody share the different kinds of turns and there references points,  Acute turn is bumper to curb and start turning early or so im reading ,,etc etc.. just wanna be prepared with some knowledge before i get in that driver seat in 2 weeks haha

Left turns are generally shoulder to double yellow line, acute left's you obviously have to turn sooner, bumper to double yellow.

Right turns are generally pillar to curb and acute rights usually means you have to turn later and is ALL about the pivot points ( Which you'll learn about)

But these are only references, nothing is set in stone (except for the pivot points)... You may have to use your own judgement on certain turns. These references don't work 100% of the time.

Day 3

First thing we did was the EL pillars in the simulator. First time I actually appreciated the simulator, it gives a really good understanding about your pivot points.

Next we learned how to operate the wheel chair lift, secure wheel chairs, and set up the farebox. 

We also learned bus stops, near side, mid block, and far side. As well as everything else we learned in day 1 and 2.

Left turns are generally shoulder to double yellow line, acute left's you obviously have to turn sooner, bumper to double yellow.

Right turns are generally pillar to curb and acute rights usually means you have to turn later and is ALL about the pivot points ( Which you'll learn about)

But these are only references, nothing is set in stone (except for the pivot points)... You may have to use your own judgement on certain turns. These references don't work 100% of the time.

Day 3

First thing we did was the EL pillars in the simulator. First time I actually appreciated the simulator, it gives a really good understanding about your pivot points.

Next we learned how to operate the wheel chair lift, secure wheel chairs, and set up the farebox. 

We also learned bus stops, near side, mid block, and far side. As well as everything else we learned in day 1 and 2.

thank you! g luck out there sounds like so far so going good 

hey guys i have questions for some of the guys who got on the job recently or anybody who has info on what shifts you get when/if you make it out of training and how the benifits are as well as the pension plan. TIA

Well as far as shifts goes when on your own you'll be on extra list and you schedule will vary, it'll be early or late pm. while in line training it'll most likely be early am. With the benefits there are different packages available you just have to choose whats best for you.

Right turns- when pillar or pole next to door reaches curb or rear of car start turning.

Left turns- bumper to middle of road.

Right hook turn- while maintaining 4ft spacing angle bus to left, front bumper should be approx 10ft from curb and back 4ft

Left Q turn- Bumper to curb.

Always remember to use push pull method, 3-5mph,covering brakes and scanning mirrors.

main street yikes, prob takes like half hour to make that turn lol 

As part of the fixed route for the Queens College Shuttle, we also go into Flushing, the furthest we go is the following:

North on Kissena Blvd => Left onto Sanford Avenue => Left onto Main Street, then back South on Main Street to the college.

It doesn't take a half hour, however, just be prepared to pack in a lot of patience & keep an eye on all of those mirrors for the idiots, both pedestrians & motorists!! Same thing when we go into Jamaica, near the LIRR Station.

Edited by +Young+

I have a question for those who went through the preemployment process... Do they ask you about your medical history specifically your mental health? I ask this because a few years ago I was labeled bi polar manic depression. I was taking medication for this for a little while but I don't anymore not for a long time now. I always get embarrassed talking about it, but I was just wondering do I have to tell them about it. Thanks in advance

I have a question for those who went through the preemployment process... Do they ask you about your medical history specifically your mental health? I ask this because a few years ago I was labeled bi polar manic depression. I was taking medication for this for a little while but I don't anymore not for a long time now. I always get embarrassed talking about it, but I was just wondering do I have to tell them about it. Thanks in advance

To be honest, you do not have to disclose anything. You will take a medical questionnaire first and when you see the medical doctor, they will ask you questions. Your answer to everything is no! You do not want to get out on medical hold for any reason. It's a headache getting the hold removed.

Edited by MTAonDeck

To be honest, you do not have to disclose anything. You will take a medical questionnaire first and when you see the medical doctor, they will ask you questions. Your answer to everything is no! You do not want to get out on medical hold for any reason. It's a headache getting the hold removed.TT

Thanks I will heed to your advice

Just finished final processing today and have to head to zeraga on sept 6th. Wish i was able to give my employer 2 weeks but i think he will understand.

Congrats. I did day 1 and drug test yesterday. And I've been debating whether to let my job know this process has started so they can prepare. If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take from day one to now?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Edited by dac9050

me personally was about a month and a half and that included 2 drug test bc my first one expired. But it all really depends on demand ithink also anybody going in soon for the first time you should take a look at your license if it doesnt have your full name they wont process you until you go to the dmv and change it for example my id only had my first inatial not my full name.

Day 4

Today we went straight to the EL pillars, fun!

We did straight line backing, parking, and pre-trip inspections (exterior, interior, and air brakes)

As well as everything learned in days 1-3.

MTAondeck any tips for us going into day's 5-(hopefully)7

I also went for final processing today and also report on the 6th. List #6xx. At the moment they are only hiring TA operators and also overheard the lady say that theres a bunch of bus operators retiring.

Also there was a guy there for the 1st time he told.me his list # was in the low 1000s

Edited by NycGamer18

Funny thing is these 2 guys were there for the 1st time. One had 3 points on his license and was fighting a red light ticket which was dated for february ( I immediately gave him the ???? face lol). The other guy didnt even have his CDL permit (I gave him the ???? face). I then told my self no whonder the list flies sometimes

I also went for final processing today and also report on the 6th. List #6xx. At the moment they are only hiring TA operators and also overheard the lady say that theres a bunch of bus operators retiring.

Also there was a guy there for the 1st time he told.me his list # was in the low 1000s

Whoa.  List really is moving.  My list number is in the 1200's.  Anyone on this forum with a list number over 1000 get a letter for pre employment yet?