B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Day 4

Today we went straight to the EL pillars, fun!

We did straight line backing, parking, and pre-trip inspections (exterior, interior, and air brakes)

As well as everything learned in days 1-3.

MTAondeck any tips for us going into day's 5-(hopefully)7

El Pillars....fun stuff lol!!! What was most difficult was the break over the weekend and somewhat re-learning lol. That's why I took lessons over the weekend. Day 5 and 6 determines if you would qualify on day 7. As long as you're perfect, chances are you will qualify on day 7. You will virtually go over everything you've already learned. Pulling into stops, pulling out, space between curbs (you have to be very close), remember to call out everything so that they know you are paying attention and you're very alert. Burying your face in those mirrors say 5-7 crucial!!! They want you looking around at all times. I'm sure you're doing great so far so just keep up the good driving and remember your inspections and brakes inside out and I think you'll be fine.

I passed my road test on Thursday ????????. Depot yesterday I did virtually nothing. Pulling buses in, straightening them, did things around the depot. Monday I start line training. I hope I'm not extra because that would really suck lol. Not knowing your schedule and everyday it's a different time or may be covering someone who called out etc smh.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick question. I got a letter yesterday to go for processing for yesterday because they sent it to old address even though I changed my address in January and have gotten other letters from them since then to new address. Now that I missed yesterday, what can I do I've been waiting years for this.

El Pillars....fun stuff lol!!! What was most difficult was the break over the weekend and somewhat re-learning lol. That's why I took lessons over the weekend. Day 5 and 6 determines if you would qualify on day 7. As long as you're perfect, chances are you will qualify on day 7. You will virtually go over everything you've already learned. Pulling into stops, pulling out, space between curbs (you have to be very close), remember to call out everything so that they know you are paying attention and you're very alert. Burying your face in those mirrors say 5-7 crucial!!! They want you looking around at all times. I'm sure you're doing great so far so just keep up the good driving and remember your inspections and brakes inside out and I think you'll be fine.

I passed my road test on Thursday . Depot yesterday I did virtually nothing. Pulling buses in, straightening them, did things around the depot. Monday I start line training. I hope I'm not extra because that would really suck lol. Not knowing your schedule and everyday it's a different time or may be covering someone who called out etc smh.

MTAonDeck congrats on your progress. During line training you'll likely start in the AM but when you're on your own you'll  be on extra list and that's usually PM unless there's something left from the pick. I suggest you take notes while line training and write down all your turns on index cards.

I just checked my blood pressure and its 138/87. That should not disqualify me right? I already have my CDL & when I went to the doctor to do the medical they said it has to be under 140/90 for DOT regulations..

Not saying blood pressure is good or bad but MTA doesn't follow DOT regulations they follow their own. For example, as per DOT you need atleast 10 hrs of rest after your shift for MTA it's 8.

Quick question. I got a letter yesterday to go for processing for yesterday because they sent it to old address even though I changed my address in January and have gotten other letters from them since then to new address. Now that I missed yesterday, what can I do I've been waiting years for this.

I would say go down there Monday morning, since they seem to always be someone there and explain it to them. Take the envelope that was forwarded to you which should show the postmark date that it forwarded it to you, and explain that you had already changed your address. Take proof that a prior letter from then had your new address, and why that specific letter was sent to your old address.

Advice: be polite since you need them to help you and don't go demanding that they need to start your process.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Not saying blood pressure is good or bad but MTA doesn't follow DOT regulations they follow their own. For example, as per DOT you need atleast 10 hrs of rest after your shift for MTA it's 8.

I wasn't aware that they follow their own standards.. Thanks for the heads up..

MTAonDeck congrats on your progress. During line training you'll likely start in the AM but when you're on your own you'll be on extra list and that's usually PM unless there's something left from the pick. I suggest you take notes while line training and write down all your turns on index cards.

Thanks RDwarrior, I will. I kindof like AMs but know I will more than likely be stuck with PMs. Nighttime diff is cool though so it won't be too bad. What route are you on? Do you have a regular schedule yet?

Thanks RDwarrior, I will. I kindof like AMs but know I will more than likely be stuck with PMs. Nighttime diff is cool though so it won't be too bad. What route are you on? Do you have a regular schedule yet?

You're welcome. To be honest during probation PM is better because there's less traffic and people out there. I'm on the BX9. I have what's called a floater or work run which means I do the same route everyday but with different start times. So every Monday I start at say 2pm, every Tuesday at 3pm etc.

You're welcome. To be honest during probation PM is better because there's less traffic and people out there. I'm on the BX9. I have what's called a floater or work run which means I do the same route everyday but with different start times. So every Monday I start at say 2pm, every Tuesday at 3pm etc.

Oh ok...at least you have the same route. Hopefully I will too. Can't wait to be done with line training to feel what it's like to be out on my own. Are you comfortable yet?

I passed my road test on Thursday . Depot yesterday I did virtually nothing. Pulling buses in, straightening them, did things around the depot. Monday I start line training. I hope I'm not extra because that would really suck lol. Not knowing your schedule and everyday it's a different time or may be covering someone who called out etc smh.

anyone screw up on day 9 (minor screw up) and still pass?

gamer quick question maybe you know bc the women who processed me wasnt sure if we pass training she said we could pick our depot to do line training but it goes by list number but she wasnt sure if we could pick staten island? do you or anybody else know what boroughs we could pick from ( obviously it goes by need in each depot )

What have you been doing since you qualified then?

What have you been doing since you qualified then?

They find stuff for you to do at the depot trust me. Although not on routes just yet because I don't start line training until Monday. I think they have to make sure you pass road test before you line train. The crap that nobody wants to do in the yard was my job. I was able to get more comfortable with the buses because I got to line them up properly under supervision of course. Make sure the air brakes and inspections were good stuff like that. I did get down time talking to other operators and supervisors there giving me little tips and stuff so that was a plus too

Oh ok...at least you have the same route. Hopefully I will too. Can't wait to be done with line training to feel what it's like to be out on my own. Are you comfortable yet?

You probably wont get the same route everyday since you'll be on extra list. One of the best parts of finishing with line training is the day you get your badge. Yea I've been pretty comfortable from the beginning cause I've been driving commercial vehicles for a while now.

They find stuff for you to do at the depot trust me. Although not on routes just yet because I don't start line training until Monday. I think they have to make sure you pass road test before you line train. The crap that nobody wants to do in the yard was my job. I was able to get more comfortable with the buses because I got to line them up properly under supervision of course. Make sure the air brakes and inspections were good stuff like that. I did get down time talking to other operators and supervisors there giving me little tips and stuff so that was a plus too

That's strange you did those things after you qualified, all of us who passed on day 7 or 9 were sent to Jamaica depot to get qualified on driving the RTS and nova.

Yes minor screw up on day 9 with turning but quickly corrected my mistakes. How's everything going with you? You'll feel rusty on Monday lol but it's to be expected

Honestly not bad... My group got a great Supt. so if we mess it up it's on us lol.

I think we have a chance at day 7 though. We'll see how much of a wake up call manhattan is.

I am doing ok. I don't think I'm doing as great as I expected I would do. Lot of stuff to learn the first 4 days. I didn't do the el pillars well. My turns have been on point after the first day as I have not hit any curbs since day 1. Bus stops are easy. I also am the only one in my class so far to not have trolly pulled due to running a yellow light. Maybe I'm doing well but my head is playing tricks on me lol. Overall this training is not easy at all but it's also not too difficult. Manhattan day 5 will be everyones feeler, if we can drive there we can drive anywhere lol.