B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats!! So I went back today as told with pemit and was told they stopped processing. Now I have to wait to be called again when someone fails the processing or other operators move up or retire or die, their exact words

Did they specifically tell you whether you had to write to DCAS to restore your name? 

I ask because based on what you told us "wait to be called again", MTA might report to DCAS that you missed the interview and you have to go through the restoration process. Then once the next group comes you would have to wait until candidates who have put themselves back on the list get considered first. Example List Numbers 50, 101, 202, 500, 790, 850, 851, 852 - then following through).

Keep that in mind. You can call (212) 669-1357 + Option 2 and hear your status - which is updated throughout the month. The automated system will specifically tell you (when updated) if you have been removed from the list, whether you can restore your name (or not). 

Congratulations to everyone who qualified!

I wonder how longer will it be for them to get to #4000? I'm in that range. I'm doing my cdl lessons but I'm about to start a new job and I just hope when its time for me to start the processing stage that I will get the time off to do the training n all..congrats to all that have passed and good luck to all those that are in training now and thanks for the information it is very much useful

Lol thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

I'm at #82x and I'm stating Zerega on the 19th. I know there was someone doing processing that was #84x this past Thursday also.

I initially got my letter on August 22nd .

Thanks for letting me know because when I called they told me they hired like 527 but I saw that people in the 800's were getting called. I guess they were just giving me the official number for those officially hired my number is #1500's I wonder how long it will take

Thanks for letting me know because when I called they told me they hired like 527 but I saw that people in the 800's were getting called. I guess they were just giving me the official number for those officially hired my number is #1500's I wonder how long it will take

Think of it this way. They started calling the first class back in march 2016. It's now sept 2016 and it's already at 82x. While at livingston I spoke to alot of drivers on the job, and alot of them are retiring mostly due to health isues. As someone had previously posted (my apologies can't remember who it was) alot of people on the list get disqualified from livingston for background check, medical, no permit or issues with drivers license) so anticipate maybe 1 year or less. Just make sure you keep your license clean.

Advice: when they do start the process they won't give you alot of notice. You get the letter the same week you have to report to livingston. So make sure you always have a sick day or personal day at your current job. I won't have time to give my current employer 2 weeks notice. I am using vaction and sick time to go tru training and make sure I make it pass. Then I'll have to resign immediately. But better that, then not have a job afterwards.

GOOD LUCK to all.

Edited by dac9050

Think of it this way. They started calling the first class back in march 2016. It's now sept 2016 and it's already at 82x. While at livingston I spoke to alot of drivers on the job, and alot of them are retiring mostly due to health isues. As someone had previously posted (my apologies can't remember who it was) alot of people on the list get disqualified from livingston for background check, medical, no permit or issues with drivers license) so anticipate maybe 1 year or less. Just make sure you keep your license clean.

Advice: when they do start the process they won't give you alot of notice. You get the letter the same week you have to report to livingston. So make sure you always have a sick day or personal day at your current job. I won't have time to give my current employer 2 weeks notice. I am using vaction and sick time to go tru training and make sure I make it pass. Then I'll have to resign immediately. But better that, then not have a job afterwards.

GOOD LUCK to all.

great advice that's what I'm gonna do I work at a hospital now and I'll use my days to go through training to make sure I pass, I was giving it like 6 months but your right you never know with the city it may be a year. I have my permit but I'm now working on my cdl license because reading the posts about training is scaring me

Lol, I currently work for a hospital as well. I read all the posting and I wanted to get the license before hand. But honestly looking at other posting from different exams it sound like instructors prefer people without it, cause you don't come with bad habits. But if you can get it now, do so. It will definitely make training easier. I'm taking a chance now and going in with permit only.

Having a permit of the cdl license makes zero difference with mta training. I got my cdl just for this and on my training bus I was the only one to have the cdl while the other 3 didn't have their cdl. The other 3 all qualified day 7 while I had to go to day 9, which I did qualify on 9. So the cdl for the mta training doesn't mean anything. It does help ease some worries tho about having to pass the DMV road test after passing the mta training, all tho the mta training is harder and if you pass that the DMV road test should be a breeze.

Having a permit of the cdl license makes zero difference with mta training. I got my cdl just for this and on my training bus I was the only one to have the cdl while the other 3 didn't have their cdl. The other 3 all qualified day 7 while I had to go to day 9, which I did qualify on 9. So the cdl for the mta training doesn't mean anything. It does help ease some worries tho about having to pass the DMV road test after passing the mta training, all tho the mta training is harder and if you pass that the DMV road test should be a breeze.

I just qualified on Friday (Day 9). Like you, I also got my CDL License just for this purpose. I partially disagree with you about it not making a difference for MTA training. Yes, you are right that having a CDL license will not make any difference learning how to drive an MTA bus but it did make a difference on other issues such as:

- Pre-trip inspections: Having had to learn and do the pre-trip on a school bus got me very acquainted with the pre-trip process. Obviously there are several differences between a school bus and an MTA bus, but the process is mostly the same so for me it was just adjusting to the differences like "destination sign", "police/emergency lights", "kneel lights", "courtesy lights" etc.

- Air Brake tests: This was a piece of cake for me. The only difference between what I had to do on the school bus was that "initial 10-PSI lost but no more than 2-PSI in 1-minute. On the school bus it was "NO INITIAL LOSS" and "No More than 3-PSI in one minute". Everything else was exactly the same. I breezed through the air brake test while others struggled with the process and oral representation (what I had to say out loud). Big advantage

Let me add that the MTA training does not spend a lot of time with these two issues. The process takes too long for each of the 4-students to practice this so they tend to explain it once or twice then just referred you to the book to self-study. The DMV road test examiner is gonna want you to do the pre-trip and air brakes very well otherwise you will loose points for each item missed and possibly an immediate fail if you screw up the air brake test.

A few other advantages I would have to add to having a CDL license:

- If the class has to go a different borough that requires driving over a bridge, the trainer can let you drive the bus. NYS law prohibits CDL permit only students from driving over bridges and thru tunnels. To be honest, I learned a lot about driving the bus by being allowed to do the long drives from borough to borough. Especially in traffic where you are driving the bus stop-and-go and using the mirrors extensible.

- The MTA teaches you how they want you to drive the bus but there are a few things that you must do differently for the DMV road test. The MTA trainer will point out the differences as you go along but not in great detail. For example, MTA wants you to drive on the right lane but because of the 4-foot clearance on the right you have to use almost half of the lane to your left. Do that for 6-9 days then suddenly for one hour you have to stop doing that for the DMV examiner.

- Railroads and Drawbridges... There aren't many or any during the MTA training but there most likely will be at least one RR crossing or a make believe RR crossing during the road test. Better remember what to do!

- If you qualify on day 7 or 9, you get 2-chances to pass your DMV road test but if you have to go all the way to day 10, you only get one chance to pass the road test. If you fail its all over, you will be asked to resign. More pressure!!!

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is a difficult training and there is a lot of pressure to learn this stuff in 7-10 days. Remember there are 4-students per training bus so you only get about 1 1/2 hours per day actually behind the wheel. That's not that much. Some people pick it up quickly while others take a little longer. Its a big bus so it will take some time to get comfortable with it and all while scanning 3-mirrors every 3-5 seconds not to mention forward planning (looking a ahead for hazards, red lights, double-parked cars, pedestrians, etc.). Taking private lessons beforehand on a school bus actually gave me a head start on many of these issues plus bonus I was able to get my CDL license on my own. I do realize its expensive to take the private lessons so its not for everybody but if you can afford it and you really want to get this job I highly recommend it.

Good Luck to all, I start line training soon. I appreciate everyone on this forum. It helped me a lot to read other people's experiences. My list number is 20x. Good Luck to all!

I started my training on 8/22. Its a 10-Day training class. It goes something like this:

Mon-: Orientation at Zerega (no actual training)

Tue-Day 1 of training (location varies)

Wed-Day 2 of training (location varies & simulator)

Thu-Day 3 of training (location varies & simulator)

Fri-Day 4 of training (EL Pillars in Brooklyn or elsewhere plus more)

Mon-Day 5 of training (Upper East Side Manhattan)

Tue-Day 6 of training (Union Square Manhattan) <-- Must be perfect/Satisfactory to qualify on Day 7

Wed-Day 7 of training (location varies) <-- Qualifying Day Chance #1

IF YOU QUALIFIED ON DAY 7 then you will be sent to Jamaica Depot to learn other model buses (RTS, Nova, Flier) if not you go on to DAY 8 and 9 with a new instructor...

Thu-Day 8 of training (location varies) NEW INSTRUCTOR

Fri-Day 9 of training (Upper East Side Manhattan) <-- Qualifying Day Chance #2

IF YOU DIDN'T QUALIFY ON DAY 9 you will have one final chance but you will have to do it in front of instructors...

Mon-Day 10 of training (Zerega Bronx Area) <-- Qualifying Day FINAL CHANCE with 2-instructors

DAY 10 is also Orientation Day of the next class.

Pattern of Last few classes

8/8 ​

​8/22

​9/6 - Starts on Tuesday because of Labor Day, which means Saturday will be a training day

9/19

10/3 - Presumably

10/17 - Presumably

DMV Road Test are usually day or two after you qualify. MTA has special road test scheduling at Zerega DMV testing site.

Hope that helps!

Busdriverwannabe. What you said in your previous post about having the cdl before hand helped out, I could not agree more, that whole post was 110 percent on point man. Having the cdl dos help me with pre trip as I didn't have to stress that or the air brakes at all because I knew that stuff already, while also your quote about having to re adapt to the DMV rules for their road test was spot on as well. I would probably have driven in both lanes on the DMV road test like the mta taught us and failed DMV. Great post man and I advise all the soon to be hopefuls to foolish your advice. Great job.

Ugh that word foolish was supposed to say follow. Stupid auto correct. Should have proof read before submitting lol.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is a difficult training and there is a lot of pressure to learn this stuff in 7-10 days. Remember there are 4-students per training bus so you only get about 1 1/2 hours per day actually behind the wheel. That's not that much. Some people pick it up quickly while others take a little longer. Its a big bus so it will take some time to get comfortable with it and all while scanning 3-mirrors every 3-5 seconds not to mention forward planning (looking a ahead for hazards, red lights, double-parked cars, pedestrians, etc.). Taking private lessons beforehand on a school bus actually gave me a head start on many of these issues plus bonus I was able to get my CDL license on my own. I do realize its expensive to take the private lessons so its not for everybody but if you can afford it and you really want to get this job I highly recommend it.

Good Luck to all, I start line training soon. I appreciate everyone on this forum. It helped me a lot to read other people's experiences. My list number is 20x. Good Luck to all!

When I went to training in February of 2014 with a permit, that was the first time I ever drove a big vehicle. Even on Day 10 with my instructor from the first seven days (yuck) and another Superintendent from the Eastchester Depot, I was still unsure of what to do or how to drive the vehicle 100%.

Offhand, did these handouts help you or anyone else? If so, I'll re-post them in this thread. If not, just let me know and I'll stop being annoying about it.

Great post man and I advise all the soon to be hopefuls to foolish your advice. Great job.

Don't forget about the positive reputation (bottom right of the post, green arrow pointing up).

When I went to training in February of 2014 with a permit, that was the first time I ever drove a big vehicle. Even on Day 10 with my instructor from the first seven days (yuck) and another Superintendent from the Eastchester Depot, I was still unsure of what to do or how to drive the vehicle 100%.

Offhand, did these handouts help you or anyone else? If so, I'll re-post them in this thread. If not, just let me know and I'll stop being annoying about it.

Don't forget about the positive reputation (bottom right of the post, green arrow pointing up).

Hi Young.... Absolutely those handouts helped me and I printed them out for the other 3 students with me, they loved them as well. Even the instructor saw them and asked me for a copy. Thank you for "annoying" me with those LOL and for the time and effort of making them available to all of us. BTW... I did convert them into a single PDF file. Let me know if I should post it or send them to you.

Busdriverwannabe. What you said in your previous post about having the cdl before hand helped out, I could not agree more, that whole post was 110 percent on point man. Having the cdl dos help me with pre trip as I didn't have to stress that or the air brakes at all because I knew that stuff already, while also your quote about having to re adapt to the DMV rules for their road test was spot on as well. I would probably have driven in both lanes on the DMV road test like the mta taught us and failed DMV. Great post man and I advise all the soon to be hopefuls to foolish your advice. Great job.

Ugh that word foolish was supposed to say follow. Stupid auto correct. Should have proof read before submitting lol.

Thank you! Happy to help anyone in any way possible. This forum has helped me and I just want to pay it forward :)

Hey bdwannabe. Where and who did h have for training now day 1-7 and day 8-9

Also to comment on bdwannabe wanting to pay back this forum for helping him pass the training... The same goes for me if anyone needs any help don't hesitate to ask me. U can private message me as well, I would be more then happy to help others, as I had so much help and support from this forum here while I was in training. Bklynstyle was unbelievable with his support as was young and a few others, and I can not thanks them enough.

Sorry for the grammar, stupid iPhone and autocorret ugh. Too lazy to fix the typos and grammar they create lol.

Hey bdwannabe. Where and who did h have for training now day 1-7 and day 8-9

Also to comment on bdwannabe wanting to pay back this forum for helping him pass the training... The same goes for me if anyone needs any help don't hesitate to ask me. U can private message me as well, I would be more then happy to help others, as I had so much help and support from this forum here while I was in training. Bklynstyle was unbelievable with his support as was young and a few others, and I can not thanks them enough.

Sorry for the grammar, stupid iPhone and autocorret ugh. Too lazy to fix the typos and grammar they create lol.

Day 1-7: Supt Lella at Queens Village Depot

Day 8-9: Supt Cruickshank at LaGuardia Depot

Both had very different styles. Supt Lella was very fast paced (almost hurried) and used the right side convex mirror for his exclusive use which made it very difficult to see the right side of the bus properly. He is a terrific guy, very likeable and very funny with a big personality. I truly like him as a person but not a big fan of his training techniques. Supt Cruickshank is a veteran pro and truly an expert trainer. She was completely opposite of Lella. She prefers a slower pace and very methodical approach to training which I found refreshing. She adjusted a few things I was doing based on what Lella taught me and she positioned herself and trolley brake differently so she did not need the R/S convex mirror so that was very helpful too. That being said, I am grateful to Lella for teaching me so much during the first 7-days and it was a brilliant idea to change instructors for day 8 and 9. It allowed someone different to help me get thru my challenges. The MTA training program is well designed and highly effective. Although I must say and I think most will agree, the simulator training was useless and ineffective. I would have preferred to spend that time behind the wheel with the instructors.