B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Cruickshank is the truth, i was blessed to have her for my first 7 days of training, everytime i see her she gets a hug from me. She was tuff on me but that's exactly what i needed to get through the training, if any up and comers get her you more than likely will pass. Congrats to the recent graduates, pay close attention during line training.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cruickshank is the truth, i was blessed to have her for my first 7 days of training, everytime i see her she gets a hug from me. She was tuff on me but that's exactly what i needed to get through the training, if any up and comers get her you more than likely will pass. Congrats to the recent graduates, pay close attention during line training.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I totally agree... Cruickshank is absolutely awesome! Tough but with a genuine interest in getting you qualified. I only had for 2-days but they were two extremely effective days. Whomever gets assigned to her should do the happy dance :D 

As far as me I had supt gray out of the Flatbush depot days 1-7. All tho I did not qualify with her, I have literally 0 negative things to say about her. She was absolutely awesome, she was funny, knowledgable and she really takes great pride in seeing her students do well. For all the new classes getting ready to go to training if they get Gray they should consider themselves lucky. Days 8-9 I had supt Madera out of Gun Hill Depot. He was awesome as well. He is very straight to the point, which is the same personality I have. He is very fair and he is extremely knowledgeable. Really if you get either one of him or Gray your chances of succeeding are extremely high.

Bdwannabe. I had your bus mate with Lella, John with me from days 8-9. We both qualified on 9. He said the same thing Lella was a good guy just very fast paced. Did you have any type of commercial driving experience b4 this?

No. I took private CDL classes using a school bus in May and June of this year then passed my road test on July 5th then started MTA training 8/22. That's it, never had a commercial driving job.

Figured I'd let you guys know about my Supt's as well.

I had Quarless for the first 7 days, he's a great guy, and everything he taught me is exactly why I qualified. I hope to see him again one day to thank him in uniform.

For days 8-9 I had Supt. Searight and Fallon (don't know why we had 2, but I think Fallon was just observing)

Searight is a sweetheart, though she didn't teach much since I performed well on days 8 and 9...

Fallon however is brilliant. She can teach you exactly what to do from sitting all the way in the back of the bus. She's a seasoned veteran on this job and it shows. Nothing against Quarless but I wish I had Fallon for the first 7 days.

Looking forward to hear who gets who tomorrow.

Fallon was telling me she's going on vacation this week so I doubt anyone will be getting her.

Edited by mct9891

On 9/4/2016 at 11:26 PM, BusDriverWannabe said:

Hi Young.... Absolutely those handouts helped me and I printed them out for the other 3 students with me, they loved them as well. Even the instructor saw them and asked me for a copy. Thank you for "annoying" me with those LOL and for the time and effort of making them available to all of us. BTW... I did convert them into a single PDF file. Let me know if I should post it or send them to you.

I'm so glad that they helped...if you can try to post the PDF file for all of us, that would be great. If not, just send it to me via PM and I'll see what I can do on my end.

Speaking of the "handouts", I realize that I've been a little annoying by posting the link to the 2613 thread over and over again. Therefore, to solve that problem, click here. Note that the last two images contain the pre-trip checkoff list for both the exterior and interior of the bus!!

On 9/5/2016 at 12:04 AM, Invzo1019 said:

...Bklynstyle was unbelievable with his support as was young and a few others, and I can not thanks them enough...

No problem, that's what we're here for to begin with (at least in this section of the site)...

Edited by +Young+
Clarification...

Today was my Day 1, along with Bklynzkid120 & NYCGamer. We spent practically all day doing paperwork and watching training videos. We got our passes and training depot assignments for the first 7 days. (Supt Soto @ Grand anyone?) We thought that we were going to be enjoying our last Saturday off.. nope! We all driving on Saturday. Other than that, nothing else to report.

As far as me I had supt gray out of the Flatbush depot days 1-7. All tho I did not qualify with her, I have literally 0 negative things to say about her. She was absolutely awesome, she was funny, knowledgable and she really takes great pride in seeing her students do well. For all the new classes getting ready to go to training if they get Gray they should consider themselves lucky. Days 8-9 I had supt Madera out of Gun Hill Depot. He was awesome as well. He is very straight to the point, which is the same personality I have. He is very fair and he is extremely knowledgeable. Really if you get either one of him or Gray your chances of succeeding are extremely high.

Gray was at our orientation today. She's really cool; I wish I had her for the rest of the week, I'm with Soto out of Grand.

Ill be there tomorrow also and reading these post have been fun and exciting

Where were you today? Don't tell me you was the guy who kept messing up his paperwork, lol.

Freshpond  at 830 for me! With supt williams, can anyone tell me about him?

at least i didnt get a bz depot for training , took me 2 hrs to get bak to si today grr

*bx 

nyc gamer, its all good i was the fat dude in the back  (from si) without the mohwak! haha

Williams is a cool dude, great attitude.....remember,3 to 5 mph turning corners..

Zerega training is your 10 day training. If you have your cdl B, you can qualify/pass training on day 7 and then the other days you will train on other buses.

If you don't qualify on day 7, you can qualify again on day 9.

Credit to BusDriverWannaBe for the following breakdown. (Sorry could figure out how to share your post)

I started my training on 8/22. Its a 10-Day training class. It goes something like this:

Mon-: Orientation at Zerega (no actual training)

Tue-Day 1 of training (location varies)

Wed-Day 2 of training (location varies & simulator)

Thu-Day 3 of training (location varies & simulator)

Fri-Day 4 of training (EL Pillars in Brooklyn or elsewhere plus more)

Mon-Day 5 of training (Upper East Side Manhattan)

Tue-Day 6 of training (Union Square Manhattan) <-- Must be perfect/Satisfactory to qualify on Day 7

Wed-Day 7 of training (location varies) <-- Qualifying Day Chance #1

IF YOU QUALIFIED ON DAY 7 then you will be sent to Jamaica Depot to learn other model buses (RTS, Nova, Flier) if not you go on to DAY 8 and 9 with a new instructor...

Thu-Day 8 of training (location varies) NEW INSTRUCTOR

Fri-Day 9 of training (Upper East Side Manhattan) <-- Qualifying Day Chance #2

IF YOU DIDN'T QUALIFY ON DAY 9 you will have one final chance but you will have to do it in front of instructors...

Mon-Day 10 of training (Zerega Bronx Area) <-- Qualifying Day FINAL CHANCE with 2-instructors

DAY 10 is also Orientation Day of the next class.

Pattern of Last few classes

​8/8 ​

​8/22

​9/6 - Starts on Tuesday because of Labor Day, which means Saturday will be a training day

9/19

10/3 - Presumably

10/17 - Presumably

DMV Road Test are usually day or two after you qualify. MTA has special road test scheduling at Zerega DMV testing site.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Edited by dac9050

Freshpond  at 830 for me! With supt williams, can anyone tell me about him?at least i didnt get a bz depot for training , took me 2 hrs to get bak to si today grr

*bx 

nyc gamer, its all good i was the fat dude in the back  (from si) without the mohwak! haha

I had Williams during my 7 day training. He's a great instructor.

So I have instructor llevel i believe is his name lol. Real nice guy. But during training while your driving his a little bit of a drill sargent ????????. Hes the nicest drill sargent i ever seen. But i learned a ton on day 1. We even did bus stops and that was supposed to be for day 3.

Edited by NycGamer18

So I have instructor llevel i believe is his name lol. Real nice guy. But during training while your driving his a little bit of a drill sargent . Hes the nicest drill sargent i ever seen. But i learned a ton on day 1. We even did bus stops and that was supposed to be for day 3.

Everyone who says they have llevl says he's absolutely nuts and rushes everyone through turns lol