B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Hey I have a question how is it when you call the employment line they say they hired up to 567 people, when I know they have people in the 800's in training, Is it that they are behind, because what happened to the people in the 6 and 7 hundreds :huh: or is it a process after training to get hired

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand that but as per this forum there were people who successfully completed training but the employment line is saying only 567 hired

What is your approximate list number? (Example: 9XX or 10XX)).

I called DCAS automated line a few moments ago, where are you getting this 567 number - a live agent?

As of September 11, 2016 They are still giving me 95 appointed /1024 certified - since forever. (We know this is incorrect)

Please let us know.

Edited by 161NewYork

Some people didn't get hired for various reasons. Some might have had license issues with too much points on their license, some might have failed the drug test, some might be on medical hold.

My list number is in the 1600's, and since I went through the process in February of 2014 and failed, I have to wait until March of 2019 to try again. Therefore, if they reach my list number within the next two [2] years, which will probably happen, I have to wait until February of 2019 to initially re-instate my list number, and then try again as early as March of 2019.

I spoke to a live agent at the employment number and my number is in the early 1000's

I'm so confused with what number they are up to with employment when I called earlier they said five and change and  when I just called employment just now they are saying 850 I don't know if its whoever answer the phone or what

I spoke to a live agent at the employment number and my number is in the early 1000's

I'm so confused with what number they are up to with employment when I called earlier they said five and change and  when I just called employment just now they are saying 850 I don't know if its whoever answer the phone or what

Thanks for the information! 850 looks like a more realistic number based on the forum activity.

Keep an eye on your mailbox, we should be in the next round of invite letters. My list number is below 200 - I reinstated.

Edited by 161NewYork

So i was perfect today beside touching a curb doing a bus stop???????? lol. This whole training thing is stressful in terms of how much you want the job so badly and you are preety much just thinking about a bus for 2 weeks lol. Tomorrow is day 6 and im already stressing even tou im excellent on everything with the bus but we are going to union sq area of manhattan and i have to be nearly perfect in order to have a chance to qualify on day 7. Good luck to the other people on training right know ✌

So i was perfect today beside touching a curb doing a bus stop lol. This whole training thing is stressful in terms of how much you want the job so badly and you are preety much just thinking about a bus for 2 weeks lol. Tomorrow is day 6 and im already stressing even tou im excellent on everything with the bus but we are going to union sq area of manhattan and i have to be nearly perfect in order to have a chance to qualify on day 7. Good luck to the other people on training right know ✌

Good luck..

They should be way past the 500-600. I'm 86#. I reported for processing on August 26th. I would've started training September 19th. I put myself on hold because I need more time to move. I live in cali. They told me what to do when I'm ready to be reinstated their were a lot of people there for train operator, and train conductor

So i was perfect today beside touching a curb doing a bus stop lol. This whole training thing is stressful in terms of how much you want the job so badly and you are preety much just thinking about a bus for 2 weeks lol. Tomorrow is day 6 and im already stressing even tou im excellent on everything with the bus but we are going to union sq area of manhattan and i have to be nearly perfect in order to have a chance to qualify on day 7. Good luck to the other people on training right know ✌

Don't stress it, just remember it for tomorrow. Take a peep in the convex to see how far in you are. Use the center pillar of the windshield as well. You'll be fine tomorrow. I did well today, just need to slow it down a bit. Good luck and see you out there.

So had a perfect day 6 ????????????. So in my class of 4, me and this other dude could qualify for day 7 the other 2 got unsatisfactory (both permit holders). Union sq area wasnt as bad as i tought even tought there was a lot of traffic down there. Guys if you get really nervous on day 6,7,9,10 its completely normal lol. Happens to almost all of us. Cant wait for tomorrow ????. How did it go for the rest of the 9/6/16 class????

So had a perfect day 6 . So in my class of 4, me and this other dude could qualify for day 7 the other 2 got unsatisfactory (both permit holders). Union sq area wasnt as bad as i tought even tought there was a lot of traffic down there. Guys if you get really nervous on day 6,7,9,10 its completely normal lol. Happens to almost all of us. Cant wait for tomorrow . How did it go for the rest of the 9/6/16 class????

Congrats. I'm heading off to Day 9. I messed up the turnaround through Cooper Union. Didn't have the 4 feet and I was approaching the turn making it from a "L" turn to a hook turn... I didn't hook it and had to get backed up. (I have a license, go figure. Good side to it is that I didn't have to do the highway portion at all today) The rest of the route was easy. There was lots of traffic, definitely, especially on Park. The turn at Union Square definitely is easier than what people make it seem. If you start turning when the bumper gets to that curb (like you're supposed to), you'll clear it real easily. The nose of the bus will go into the right lane but that's supposed to happen. If you are waiting to make that turn and keep crawling up past your reference point or move up because there's cars on the left side of the bus and you're trying to clear them and go through the gap in traffic, you'll will 100% pass the reference point and either luck out because there's nothing parked on the corner or have to get backed up.

Defetnely true. The other guy who passed in my bus caught a break and a car that was there moved otherwise he would of have backed up hence would of gone to day 9. The most important thing i learned is always trust your reference points the way your instructor teaches you it really works

How did it go today? Hopefully all well.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

I got to go to day 9 ????????????????. I messed up a turn in which it was 2 lanes that could turn into a parkway and i was suppose to put the bus in the middle. Instead i made the turn from the right lane. After that i was so angry and pissed off at my self that i lost all concentration and touched a curb on an easy ass right turn. I went from being perfect on day 5 and 6 (union sq area manhattan). To screwing up a turn in an area i done like 3 times. My other class mates had to be telling me to calm down the whole day because i looked like my mother got shot.

I got to go to day 9 . I messed up a turn in which it was 2 lanes that could turn into a parkway and i was suppose to put the bus in the middle. Instead i made the turn from the right lane. After that i was so angry and pissed off at my self that i lost all concentration and touched a curb on an easy ass right turn. I went from being perfect on day 5 and 6 (union sq area manhattan). To screwing up a turn in an area i done like 3 times. My other class mates had to be telling me to calm down the whole day because i looked like my mother got shot.

I got caught in the middle of a right turn (light changed) and went down for that. Setup was good, I was just waiting for the peds to get out the damn street. Light turned and that was it. That was 5 minutes into me driving. The rest of the drive was perfect. I did terrible yesterday. Don't beat yourself up. Where they have you at tomorrow? I'm at Gun Hill with Quarless.

I got to go to day 9 . I messed up a turn in which it was 2 lanes that could turn into a parkway and i was suppose to put the bus in the middle. Instead i made the turn from the right lane. After that i was so angry and pissed off at my self that i lost all concentration and touched a curb on an easy ass right turn. I went from being perfect on day 5 and 6 (union sq area manhattan). To screwing up a turn in an area i done like 3 times. My other class mates had to be telling me to calm down the whole day because i looked like my mother got shot.

Im going to 9 as well, my whole bus  is, Yesterday supt said we spent to much time in those intersections down in union square. Today was a much better day for me though.. feel like its all starting to click... im going to gunhill depot to meet up with supt Quarless

Just keep calm and do your best. I was hoping NYCGamer18 would have had another person day and qualified today. And Seven same Goodluck to you. I took a day off from work and spend most of the morjing riding around queens on MTA buses, observing the turns and maneuvers. I can't wait until Monday already.

BrklynKid good luck also.

Edited by dac9050

Just keep calm and do your best. I was hoping NYCGamer18 would have had another person day and qualified today. And Seven same Goodluck to you. I took a day off from work and spend most of the morjing riding around queens on MTA buses, observing the turns and maneuvers. I can't wait until Monday already.

BrklynKid good luck also.

Thanks. There are two things that will never lie to you - The Superintendents and those reference points.

There are two things that will never lie to you - The Superintendents...

Don't get me wrong - I understand 100% where you are coming from, however from my experience in February 2014, I just find that statement interesting in a way since my instructor, who came out of the Flatbush Depot, never wore his seat belt, let me drive on the Marine Parkway Bridge and the Belt Parkway with a permit, accused me of opening up my right when there was a vehicle parked adjacent to the right rear corner of the bus, stating that he had all of the students' abstracts with him, etc.

... This dam thing is to mother F-ing stressfull. God forbid i go to day 10 because i think the nerves alone would make me fail that day

First, tell me about it.

Second, I agree with the statement about Day 10 with the nerves - just to briefly elaborate, if anyone has to go there:

It will be a route in the Bronx with two Superintendents. From what I recall, the route will cover local streets, bus stops and the highway - nothing too complicated.

In addition for Days 8, 9 & 10, there are bus stops, but no pre-trip, no parallel parking and no backing up in a straight line. Just straight driving, for the most part.

Edited by +Young+