B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This training will have you thinking about a bus for 2 weeks non stop lol. I also completely understand why youngnyc know when he says he felt that his instructor was an a**hole. Some of these guys think they own the mta or something and make you so nervous when you drive. The stories i heard today are down right ridiculous

For the people going to day 10 good luck wish you nothing but the best and i truly hope you guys/girls pass

For the people going to training soon try your absolute best to pass on day 6 and 7. Because my day 1-7 instructor was very diferent to my day 8-9 instructor and had some (minor/diferent) requirements to passing. So i only had 1 day to adjust to my new instructor who was basically a military style guy and will make you shake while driving. Also anything you can do to calm down do it no matter what it takes. Im sure that 70% of the people who fail 10 day training is because how nervous they get on test days (6,7,9,10)

For the people going to training soon try your absolute best to pass on day 6 and 7. Because my day 1-7 instructor was very diferent to my day 8-9 instructor and had some (minor/diferent) requirements to passing. So i only had 1 day to adjust to my new instructor who was basically a military style guy and will make you shake while driving. Also anything you can do to calm down do it no matter what it takes. Im sure that 70% of the people who fail 10 day training is because how nervous they get on test days (6,7,9,10)

Congrats on passing day 9, what a relief huh? :wacko: . That is the reason why in one of my posts I mentioned the passing on 7 and like young said it isn't absolutely necessary. but I brought it up because you feel sooo relieved when you pass early on.

Well im going to day 10! heard over 20 ppl are as well. I had day 9 almost sucessfully wrapped up  until close to the end when a van decided to park on the corner in middle of my what should have been a routine left turn.. so of course i get " unsatisfactory in forward planning on that one " and sent to day 10.. not gonna lie feeling a bit discouraged at this point.. been putting my heart.. sweat and tears into this for the last 2 weeks.. gotta shake it off and go out there for day 10 .. it is what it is 

This training will have you thinking about a bus for 2 weeks non stop lol. I also completely understand why youngnyc know when he says he felt that his instructor was an a**hole. Some of these guys think they own the mta or something and make you so nervous when you drive. The stories i heard today are down right ridiculous

For the people going to day 10 good luck wish you nothing but the best and i truly hope you guys/girls pass

i kno i seen ya today but just wanted to congratulate you again man.. hopefully i meet up with ya on tues lol 

Well im going to day 10! heard over 20 ppl are as well. I had day 9 almost sucessfully wrapped up until close to the end when a van decided to park on the corner in middle of my what should have been a routine left turn.. so of course i get " unsatisfactory in forward planning on that one " and sent to day 10.. not gonna lie feeling a bit discouraged at this point.. been putting my heart.. sweat and tears into this for the last 2 weeks.. gotta shake it off and go out there for day 10 .. it is what it is

Sorry to hear your heading to day 10. Just remember you just have to make it thru 1 one more day and nail it perfectly. After that it should be a breeze. We have all waited and have put so much time into this process that we should be able to make it thru. In a few years we could all be working out of the same depot.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Edited by dac9050

I want to give a special thanks to youngnyc for all the imformation and help he has provided me and this forum in general for the past 2 1/2 years and all the people who wished me luck during this training. This has been the 2 most stressful weeks that i can remember in a long time .

It really has been a stressful 2 weeks. I qualified today and I'm glad that it's all over. So much material, so much stress, so much emotions. Congrats on qualifying today? Did you get to train on the other buses at the start point? I'm going to be at Jamaica for that come Monday.

Congrats.

I start monday.

Congrats to you. Just some advice:

1) Arrive early every day in the proper uniform. The Superintendents (Instructors) will single you out on Orientation Day if you aren't in proper uniform. (Don't be the guy who not only arrived late but came in wearing a t-shirt) When you're early, use that time to practice your pretrip and brake test. Depending on your instructor and the depot, they'll be okay with you doing such, including starting the bus, as long as you don't move it without your instructor present.

1b) Make sure your license is in check as well. If it's suspended or expired, you will be fired if it isn't fixed by the day after.

2) Read the instruction manual and ask questions, no matter how stupid.

3) Ask the students who qualified already and ask all the operators for advice. Ask/reconfirm with your superintendent. They aren't going to steer you wrong.

4) Don't stress or beat yourself up because you got trolley braked. When you go home, realize your mistakes, how to correct them and go in the next day trying to not make the same mistakes. There is a curve that everyone talks about where it feels like crap for the first 3 days and then it'll start clicking and making sense afterwards. Tough it out to the bitter end.

This is so true. All I did was wake up, head in, come home, mellow out, figure out what I did wrong, how to improve, go to sleep and do it all over again. It's stressful but if you really apply yourself, everything will start making sense and you'll get better and better as you go into the second week. As you said, the difference between each instructor is night and day. My original sub-class (Day 1-7) is the only one to have gone through 3 instructors. (In my case, Soto, Fallon & Quarless) Very different between the three, lots of similarities as well. You learn and apply what they're looking for and you'll do fine.

Well im going to day 10! heard over 20 ppl are as well. I had day 9 almost sucessfully wrapped up  until close to the end when a van decided to park on the corner in middle of my what should have been a routine left turn.. so of course i get " unsatisfactory in forward planning on that one " and sent to day 10.. not gonna lie feeling a bit discouraged at this point.. been putting my heart.. sweat and tears into this for the last 2 weeks.. gotta shake it off and go out there for day 10 .. it is what it is 

Like I said, just be easy and take your time. Remember what Quarless said, "Look before you leap!" and ask yourself "What is the challenge here?" If you have to think it out, do what I did and kill the light and see what happens. I hope you and the rest of the class makes it through Day 10.

Passed my training on day 9

Congrats to you and everyone else!!

I want to give a special thanks to youngnyc for all the imformation and help he has provided me and this forum in general for the past 2 1/2 years and all the people who wished me luck during this training. This has been the 2 most stressful weeks that i can remember in a long time .

No problem. I wish you nothing but the best. And don't forget to keep posting!!

Tell me about it...as far as the Superintendents own the MTA, tell me about it. And with the stories you heard? I believe it 100%.

Now if you don't make it, I would encourage you to step-up and write a nasty letter to Chairman Prendergast, President Hakim and/or President Irick about what happened. Just make sure to be as specific as you can. And, if something happened in which you were the victim, such as driving over a bridge or on the highway with a permit, or seeing him/her not wear their seat belt, and you were not able to catch the evidence yourself, just remember that there are cameras in the buses. Just make sure to record the bus # and the time the incident took place. Those things never lie, trust me.

Now I have a chance to try again in 2019, so I didn't do this, however, if you are brave enough, I would encourage you to also write to the US Department of Transportation about what happened. I'm sure that if they receive a complaint, not only will they investigate it to the fullest extent, but if they receive enough complaints, then they might pull the "Trolley Brake" not only on the Division of Training, but on all of the Superintendents who are from this Division. IMHO, it's about time something is done with those a**holes who claim to own their 4 precious students for (almost) 7 consecutive days. (I'm not going to elaborate any further, I promise.)

As far as  Day 10 - don't think about the other Superintendent. It's a fairly simple route in the Bronx with highway driving, no pre-trip, no parallel parking, no straight backing. Just make sure to call everything out, make your turns properly, check those mirrors, which involves physically moving your head, and you should be fine. It'll be nervous, but just like the DMV road test, 90 minutes max and it's over.

Edited by +Young+
Modification...

It really has been a stressful 2 weeks. I qualified today and I'm glad that it's all over. So much material, so much stress, so much emotions. Congrats on qualifying today? Did you get to train on the other buses at the start point? I'm going to be at Jamaica for that come Monday.

Like I said, just be easy and take your time. Remember what Quarless said, "Look before you leap!" and ask yourself "What is the challenge here?" If you have to think it out, do what I did and kill the light and see what happens. I hope you and the rest of the class makes it through Day 10.

First, congrats on qualifying! For those that qualified on Day 9, no other buses were available to train on. On Day 10, they will bring an RTS & Nova bus to Zerega for the qualified people, respectively. When you're at Jamaica, and if you see a Red & Black bus, don't forget about me & my co-workers, since you won't be too far!

Getting back to seriousness, I like that saying "Look before you leap" and also "What is the challenge here?" I have to start applying these to the fixed route which the shuttle follows...

Edited by +Young+
Grammar Correction...

Congrats to you. Just some advice:

1) Arrive early every day in the proper uniform. The Superintendents (Instructors) will single you out on Orientation Day if you aren't in proper uniform. (Don't be the guy who not only arrived late but came in wearing a t-shirt) When you're early, use that time to practice your pretrip and brake test. Depending on your instructor and the depot, they'll be okay with you doing such, including starting the bus, as long as you don't move it without your instructor present.

1b) Make sure your license is in check as well. If it's suspended or expired, you will be fired if it isn't fixed by the day after.

2) Read the instruction manual and ask questions, no matter how stupid.

3) Ask the students who qualified already and ask all the operators for advice. Ask/reconfirm with your superintendent. They aren't going to steer you wrong.

4) Don't stress or beat yourself up because you got trolley braked. When you go home, realize your mistakes, how to correct them and go in the next day trying to not make the same mistakes. There is a curve that everyone talks about where it feels like crap for the first 3 days and then it'll start clicking and making sense afterwards. Tough it out to the bitter end.

This is so true. All I did was wake up, head in, come home, mellow out, figure out what I did wrong, how to improve, go to sleep and do it all over again. It's stressful but if you really apply yourself, everything will start making sense and you'll get better and better as you go into the second week. As you said, the difference between each instructor is night and day. My original sub-class (Day 1-7) is the only one to have gone through 3 instructors. (In my case, Soto, Fallon & Quarless) Very different between the three, lots of similarities as well. You learn and apply what they're looking for and you'll do fine.

Congrats to you seven. Thanks for the advice.

First, congrats on qualifying! For those that qualified on Day 9, no other buses were available to train on. On Day 10, they will bring an RTS & Nova bus to Zerega for the qualified people, respectively. When you're at Jamaica, and if you see a Red & Black bus, don't forget about me & my co-workers, since you won't be too far!

Getting back to seriousness, I like that saying "Look before you leap" and also "What is the challenge here?" I have to start applying these to the fixed route which the shuttle follows...

Oh, I know those school buses all too well. How you like that Drivecam staring you in the face all the time? lol. Do wave if you see us out there Monday.

Oh, I know those school buses all too well. How you like that Drivecam staring you in the face all the time? lol. Do wave if you see us out there Monday.

Did you say "School buses", meaning "Yellow"? So you figured out what we use when our primary red & black buses are down...

As far as the DriveCam, with the little bit of research that I've done by primarily watching this & this YouTube videos (there are a lot more if you folks have the time), as long as I don't brake hard, don't swerve too fast, don't accelerate too fast (which is impossible with the 25 mph speed limit) and no collision or accident, I'm not worried. The camera has caught me several times, over a 6 month period, going over curbs, hitting potholes, and other small incidents that fall under the same category, and to this date, management has said nothing to me about any of those issues. What I've also learned is that if I do go over a different curb or hit a different pothole once every two to three weeks - as long as it's not a daily occurrence, then I'm fine. Just like in life, crap happens, right?

As far as Monday, usually I see the buses when the Shuttle makes a right turn from Parsons onto Hillside, and between watching my tail swing and the pedestrians, waving is going to be impossible, therefore I'll just sound my horn. I also work in the afternoon/evening - so don't count on seeing me before 3 PM the earliest.

-------------------- WEEKLY STATUS UPDATE --------------------

The DCAS automated line has been updated as of September 18, 2016. However, we still hear the same partially incorrect information:

Last Certified 1024 (may be true);
Last Appointed 95 (false)

You may call the DCAS automated line and find it useful if you recently requested (in writing) to restore your name. If it went through, you will no longer hear the information to restore your name. DCAS will contact you by mail when you do this as well.

The number to call DCAS is 1 (212) 669-1357 (Option 2), the automated line is 24 hours - and is usually updated on Sundays. Only the MTA will know when people will get called.

Classes are typically held every two weeks. The next class begins Monday September 19, 2016.

According to forum activity, the last approximate list number to be invited to a class was 850. Nobody above this number has received the pre-employment package, to my knowledge.

--------------------------------------------------

If anyone has been scheduled for an October class for TA 4600 please let us know!

Congratulations to everyone who has qualified - best of luck for everyone on Day 10!

Edited by 161NewYork

Reported to Jamaica to start training on the 40' fleet (dubbed "RTS Training"). Our group was split between the LFS and the RTS and we pretty much took turns driving. We drove to Zerega to scoop the Day 10 qualifiers and to get trained on the Xcelsior. Pretty chill day.

@NYCGamer - Good to meet you and put a face to the name. See you out there.

According to forum activity, the last approximate list number to be invited to a class was 850. Nobody above this number has received the pre-employment package, to my knowledge.

That sounds about right. My friend called today (dunno whom) but he said that they were out to 845 and that they put processing on a hold for now.

Reported to Jamaica to start training on the 40' fleet (dubbed "RTS Training"). Our group was split between the LFS and the RTS and we pretty much took turns driving. We drove to Zerega to scoop the Day 10 qualifiers and to get trained on the Xcelsior. Pretty chill day.

@NYCGamer - Good to meet you and put a face to the name. See you out there.

Thank you Seven same here brother ✌.

I want to congratulate those that made it day 10. I and almost all of the other trainees were happy for them it was so cool just seeing how everybody was pulling for eachother wether they passerd, fail, or was waiting for their test everybody there was hoping for everybody else to pass.

The only bad thing is i felt terrible for each person that didnt make it ????. Some people had to resighn from their job just to take the 10 day training and quite a few didnt make it which sucks. Most people i talked to had so much stress during this 2 week training. Some people started smoking again. One guy told me it was the most stressful 2 weeks of his life (he has 2 kids so that says something). This lady told me she was crying while sleeping after day 3 because she had a tough instructor and she was doubting her self. I was really sad hearing some of the stories. Good luck to those that didnt make it, keep ya head up and hopefully ya still have a bright future ✌

The only bad thing is i felt terrible for each person that didnt make it ????. Some people had to resighn from their job just to take the 10 day training and quite a few didnt make it which sucks. Most people i talked to had so much stress during this 2 week training. Some people started smoking again. One guy told me it was the most stressful 2 weeks of his life (he has 2 kids so that says something). This lady told me she was crying while sleeping after day 3 because she had a tough instructor and she was doubting her self. I was really sad hearing some of the stories. Good luck to those that didnt make it, keep ya head up and hopefully ya still have a bright future ✌

Tell me about it....when I went for final processing back in 2014, I recall them strongly encouraging me not to resign, but instead to take a leave of absence or a vacation or something to that nature. As far as the stress, smoking, crying, I understand where these people are coming from, thinking that they have to get that S each and every day, which is not the case...you can get a U from days 2 to 8, and as long as you're perfect on Day 9, you're good to go!

As far as the tough instructor, like I mentioned earlier, for those of you that don't make it, I would recommend that you folks write letters to the administration at NYC Transit, the US Dept. of Transportation and perhaps Governor Cuomo to expose the bad side of these instructors. Don't forget about the cameras in those buses - those things never lie!!

Also, for those who didn't make it, providing you have the CDL, depending on where you live, have you considered MV Transportation (Queens) or Academy Bus (New Jersey)? MV Transportation still has a few openings...