B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does the qualifying work? I have my cdl a for with my passenger endorsement, if you don't qualify you don't get the job?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Days 1-5 you are taught how to drive the MTA way, in order to qualify on day 7 you have to be perfect on days 6-7. Otherwise day 8 you're retrained and qualifying day is 9, day 10 is last chance to qualify. If you fail you're asked to resign. Make sure your passenger endorsement has no restrictions.

Days 1-5 you are taught how to drive the MTA way, in order to qualify on day 7 you have to be perfect on days 6-7. Otherwise day 8 you're retrained and qualifying day is 9, day 10 is last chance to qualify. If you fail you're asked to resign. Make sure your passenger endorsement has no restrictions.

Is it hard to qualify?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

It's not that it's hard, the trick is to pay attention and use what you are taught. Don't take the way superintendents treat you personal they can be very tough.

I agree 100%. Also, from what I remember back in 2014, you're with one instructor from Days 1 to 7 and with another one for Days 8 & 9, so having the different instructor can be the trick right there. Also, if this is still true, I either heard or read that 75% of the applicants qualify on Day 9, which is a repeat of one of your initial first seven Days in Uptown Manhattan, so just try not to do anything stupid, hope for the best and you should be fine.

They're not going to say anything about the K restriction. It goes with the A3 restriction, which is fine to get hired. It will only be a problem if he is working out of Staten Island as he would need a medical card to operate the S89.

So I have been busy but let me post and update. The K restriction is in fact a problem as well as any other restrictions. The only restriction allowed and according to the personnel, allowed under scrutiny, is the A3 nothing else. N2 restriction which cannot be removed until road test with DMV in a Bus despite having the passenger endorsement. The only restrictions allowed is the A3, no exceptions I was told.

I agree 100%. Also, from what I remember back in 2014, you're with one instructor from Days 1 to 7 and with another one for Days 8 & 9, so having the different instructor can be the trick right there. Also, if this is still true, I either heard or read that 75% of the applicants qualify on Day 9, which is a repeat of one of your initial first seven Days in Uptown Manhattan, so just try not to do anything stupid, hope for the best and you should be fine.

It's true, most people pass on day 9. I remember that there were only a handful of us from day 7 then after day 9 we got bombarded with people and all those people said that days 8-9 the instructor took it easier.

It's true, most people pass on day 9. I remember that there were only a handful of us from day 7 then after day 9 we got bombarded with people and all those people said that days 8-9 the instructor took it easier.

It is somewhat true. Remember some Instructors Supt are not the same when it comes to qualifying the student. Day 6 is a little tough because you're going through heavy traffic area in Lower Manhattan, like 14 st/union sq east, 3rd ave and so on. The key is to operate the bus safely and using them mirrors properly. You have to hit your turns correctly especially in the city. You have to be prepared to call out all the hazards and don't hit the curbs, trees, fix objects, and avoid running through the yellow lights.

After you qualified, it becomes less stressful. Right now im doing line training and all the training you went through at the school room comes in play.

The only restrictions allowed is the A3, no exceptions I was told.

First of all, I'm not here to argue with you, respectively.

However, on my license, since I took a road test in both a tractor trailer and a bus, I have a restriction and I know some bus operators also have a B restriction as well. So neither the B nor the M restrictions are acceptable? (Click here for the full list of endorsements & restrictions.)

My list number is low 1300s. I got the letter on Monday and went for the drug test today. FYI

Congrats! Good luck!!

Edited by +Young+

M No Class A Passenger VEH (Commercial Class Only) B Corrective Lenses

if you have a cdl license with the M restriction its for class A only, you may have class A with P endorsement which gives you class B, passenger endorsement, as for the B restriction means you need to wear corrective lenses while driving, this is regarding taking both tractor trailer and bus road tests and have cdl license, hope this helps , my number is 9xx still on hold getting license paper work straighten out,

if you have a cdl license with the M restriction its for class A only, you may have class A with P endorsement which gives you class B, passenger endorsement, as for the B restriction means you need to wear corrective lenses while driving, this is regarding taking both tractor trailer and bus road tests and have cdl license, hope this helps , my number is 9xx still on hold getting license paper work straighten out,

Yes, I have a Class A CDL with N, P, S, W endorsements and a M restriction at the current moment. Thanks for the info!!

Edited by +Young+

M restriction just applies to class A license only, cannot transport passengers commercial only, however you have a P endorsement which overrides the M restriction because you took both class A and B in different vehicles when you took road tests, I think this is how it works