B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@tprashhad2012 accurate driving school in franklin square 516-328-2022 i use them to get my cdl in june of this year

there not that pricey either

I just checked their site and it wasn't bad pricing at all. Probably have to drive out there, I don't know if they would drive out to brooklyn.

M restriction just applies to class A license only, cannot transport passengers commercial only, however you have a P endorsement which overrides the M restriction because you took both class A and B in different vehicles when you took road tests, I think this is how it works

Yes, the M restriction does apply to Class A, since I cannot transport more than seven passengers in a Class A Vehicle, which does not exist to begin with. I can only transport passengers in a Class B vehicle, such as a bus.

I received my letter today for October 31. I will pass the opportunity for now until I have my full CDL. My list number in the 1,400 range.

Wow! I'm in the 1800's, and I'm wondering if I'm going to receive something in the mail shortly, although I have to wait 2 & 1/2 more years...

I was thinking of Ferrari driving school. I already have my permit already just need some lessons and a road test.

I also went to Ferrari for both the tractor-trailer and the bus...

However, the other day I passed by a white rear engine bus with the name "1st Choice Driving School" on the side. Since I wasn't that far away, I located their office, stopped in and they do offer CDL-B training on the rear engine buses, compared to the other driving schools who have the regular school buses with the engine in the front. In addition, on their flyer, it says "All CDL Instructors are NYCT Bus Operators", which I found very interesting. Therefore, as the time gets closer, although I already have the license, I plan on going there for a few refresher lessons just to prepare myself for the 10-day training session.

Edited by +Young+
Editing purposes...

Yes, the M restriction does apply to Class A, since I cannot transport more than seven passengers in a Class A Vehicle, which does not exist to begin with. I can only transport passengers in a Class B vehicle, such as a bus.

Wow! I'm in the 1800's, and I'm wondering if I'm going to receive something in the mail shortly, although I have to wait 2 & 1/2 more years...

I also went to Ferrari for both the tractor-trailer and the bus...

However, the other day I passed by a white rear engine bus with the name "1st Choice Driving School" on the side. Since I wasn't that far away, I located their office, stopped in and they do offer CDL-B training on the rear engine buses, compared to the other driving schools who have the regular school buses with the engine in the front. In addition, on their flyer, it says "All CDL Instructors are NYCT Bus Operators", which I found very interesting. Therefore, as the time gets closer, although I already have the license, I plan on going there for a few refresher lessons just to prepare myself for the 10-day training session.

that's a good thing that they have NYCT Bus Operators as instructors I'll check them out as well.

So I called 347-643-8231, and the other numbers...I wanted to know what list number they're up to...im 10xx, and people here are in 1300's getting letters, and I havent received anything.  The guy was being a jerk, kept repeating the same thing over and over again that there up to 845, ad that I will get my letter when I get it and hung up.  Is it normal to skip numbers or did I just not received my letter yet?

Also anybody have tips for the cdl road test? taking it tues...

Thanks in advance

First of all, I'm not here to argue with you, respectively.

However, on my license, since I took a road test in both a tractor trailer and a bus, I have a restriction and I know some bus operators also have a B restriction as well. So neither the B nor the M restrictions are acceptable? (Click here for the full list of endorsements & restrictions.)

I have the paper at home when I get home I'll post it. Its not an argument, I'm simply informing people what I and others experienced as well, there is a guy at the front desk he gives u the paper after seeing your interview letter, he pulls up your record, they have direct access to the DMV information he said, so if i go to the DMV n update my restrictions they will see the change immediately before i even returned with the paper. I did just that, went to the DMV at Barclays came back, got the K restriction removed, told him because I have the N2 ill have to wait for a road test which is far, isn't there any way else? This conversation was specifically for the N2, not the M or the B restrictions, however, maybe he had a rough morning because he then said, "Can't you read? A3 is the only one allowed no exceptions, says it right there on the paper". I then told him even if I road test, I'll get M, he then said, I gave u the paper. Then proceeded to call another number. Maybe it was jus the individual, however the paper has a list of infractions and once you have removed them all u can contact them.

M restriction just applies to class A license only, cannot transport passengers commercial only, however you have a P endorsement which overrides the M restriction because you took both class A and B in different vehicles when you took road tests, I think this is how it works

I think that's how it works also, however the DMV near Barclays is retarded, even the Supervisors. They told me I have to change from an A to a B in order to get a B permit for the road test even though I have passenger endorsement. Yet on the phone with the DMV, the guy simply states as long as u have the passenger endorsement, u can take the road test. Just sharing the information as I got it

I received my letter yesterday to go to take my drug test my list number 14xx so this thing is really moving along I just have a question how long does it go from drug test to medical and from medical to training and what happens other than the drug test at drug test day, thanks in advance

So I called 347-643-8231, and the other numbers...I wanted to know what list number they're up to...im 10xx, and people here are in 1300's getting letters, and I havent received anything.  The guy was being a jerk, kept repeating the same thing over and over again that there up to 845, ad that I will get my letter when I get it and hung up.  Is it normal to skip numbers or did I just not received my letter yet?

Also anybody have tips for the cdl road test? taking it tues...

Thanks in advance

It's not normal for them to skip numbers...if I was you, depending on what you do during the day, try to call periodically and hopefully you'll get another person who's more polite. Worse comes to worse, I would go down there myself to see what the story is. Offhand, did you move recently? If so, have you checked the mail at your old address?

As far as the CDL road test, just do what the instructors at your driving school told you to do, have the pre-trip memorized, and don't be nervous...if you mess up a little, it's okay...once you get over 50 points, then you fail.

I think that's how it works also, however the DMV near Barclays is retarded, even the Supervisors. They told me I have to change from an A to a B in order to get a B permit for the road test even though I have passenger endorsement. Yet on the phone with the DMV, the guy simply states as long as u have the passenger endorsement, u can take the road test. Just sharing the information as I got it

That wasn't the case for me...I originally had a Class A CDL with a Tank & Passenger Endorsement. When I went to the DMV in Jamaica to take the School Bus endorsement test on 6/4/15, it was then that they gave me the Class B CLP (Commercial Learners Permit) with the appropriate restrictions. I took a road test in a bus about two months afterwards, and now I have the Class A with all of the endorsements and a M restriction, respectfully.

M restriction is OK...only way to get it off is to take a road test in a double bus... I have the m also..you're good..

Thank you!!

I received my letter yesterday to go to take my drug test my list number 14xx so this thing is really moving along I just have a question how long does it go from drug test to medical and from medical to training and what happens other than the drug test at drug test day, thanks in advance

Well, from my experience and from what I read on this topic/thread, this is how it works:

Your first drug test is valid for thirty (30) calendar days. If you don't get called back within these 30 days, that's normal, since they try to eliminate some candidates this way. Once you get contacted for your second drug test, then they'll probably call you for medical within the thirty day period. On the day of your medical, if you pass and you're not put on medical hold, then you'll be sent for final processing, and if everything is good, then they'll give you a date on when to report to Zerega for training.

Now, as far as how much time it takes for them to call you back in between your first & second drug tests: I would say at least a month. As far as how much time it takes for you to take care of the medical hold: that's up to you. For me with my muscle spasm, I had to go to a neurologist and get some tests done. However, if it's something common or simple, a note or letter from your PCP (Primary Care Physician) might do the trick.

Hope this helps!

It's not normal for them to skip numbers...if I was you, depending on what you do during the day, try to call periodically and hopefully you'll get another person who's more polite. Worse comes to worse, I would go down there myself to see what the story is. Offhand, did you move recently? If so, have you checked the mail at your old address?

As far as the CDL road test, just do what the instructors at your driving school told you to do, have the pre-trip memorized, and don't be nervous...if you mess up a little, it's okay...once you get over 50 points, then you fail.

That wasn't the case for me...I originally had a Class A CDL with a Tank & Passenger Endorsement. When I went to the DMV in Jamaica to take the School Bus endorsement test on 6/4/15, it was then that they gave me the Class B CLP (Commercial Learners Permit) with the appropriate restrictions. I took a road test in a bus about two months afterwards, and now I have the Class A with all of the endorsements and a M restriction, respectfully.

Thank you!!

Well, from my experience and from what I read on this topic/thread, this is how it works:

Your first drug test is valid for thirty (30) calendar days. If you don't get called back within these 30 days, that's normal, since they try to eliminate some candidates this way. Once you get contacted for your second drug test, then they'll probably call you for medical within the thirty day period. On the day of your medical, if you pass and you're not put on medical hold, then you'll be sent for final processing, and if everything is good, then they'll give you a date on when to report to Zerega for training.

Now, as far as how much time it takes for them to call you back in between your first & second drug tests: I would say at least a month. As far as how much time it takes for you to take care of the medical hold: that's up to you. For me with my muscle spasm, I had to go to a neurologist and get some tests done. However, if it's something common or simple, a note or letter from your PCP (Primary Care Physician) might do the trick.

Hope this helps!

How forgiving are they when qualifying are they at zerega?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Hey Everyone , I just received my pre-employment package list number 15***. I'm in a bit of jam right now because currently I'm a CCA (temporary) employee at the United States Postal Service. I would like know if it is possible to reinstate myself for this position because I do not have no form of CDL identification at all (Permit, License). Due to the long hours and no guaranteed days off in the postal service, I never really got around to it, and I did not expect the MTA to get back to me so fast. If i'm able to reinstate myself for the position, can I do it at the pre employment on November first, or can I do it through the phone, mail, computer, etc ?  Thanks for all the help in this forum everybody.

Hey Everyone , I just received my pre-employment package list number 15***. I'm in a bit of jam right now because currently I'm a CCA (temporary) employee at the United States Postal Service. I would like know if it is possible to reinstate myself for this position because I do not have no form of CDL identification at all (Permit, License). Due to the long hours and no guaranteed days off in the postal service, I never really got around to it, and I did not expect the MTA to get back to me so fast. If i'm able to reinstate myself for the position, can I do it at the pre employment on November first, or can I do it through the phone, mail, computer, etc ? Thanks for all the help in this forum everybody.

if you don't report on that date you would be removed from the list. That would give you time to get your CDL permit. You would have to place yourself back on the list. You would have to contact DCAS and recieve a reinstall to list form. You can call and request one from DCAS and I believe you would have to mail them the form back. Remember you have up until the list expires to reinstate yourself to the list. Edited by tdevon2012

Hello everyone, please advise..I did my drug test and going for my medical next week. If I'm selected, I'm unable to start till March 2016, since I have to go out of the country for about 9 days in Feb. Should I go through the whole process to see if I get selected first and if I do ask them to hold my position? or will they let me take off in February next year? or is there any other alternative without cancelling my trip?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I just capped my pants, figuratively, got my letter now. List 16xx. Problem I have to go to livingston on Nov 3. I don't have my cdl permit, it expired. What do I do? If I go to the dmv and get my permit paper work will that be enough? I didn't anticipated the letter come so soon, I figured next year. Am I out of the running? Sorry if this was posted before.

I just capped my pants, figuratively, got my letter now. List 16xx. Problem I have to go to livingston on Nov 3. I don't have my cdl permit, it expired. What do I do? If I go to the dmv and get my permit paper work will that be enough? I didn't anticipated the letter come so soon, I figured next year. Am I out of the running? Sorry if this was posted before.

you can renew the permit once and then you have to take the exams all over again. If you pass your CDL permit exam before you go in on Nov 3 you'll be fine. You can bring in that temp one they give you when you pass the written exams.

you can renew the permit once and then you have to take the exams all over again. If you pass your CDL permit exam before you go in on Nov 3 you'll be fine. You can bring in that temp one they give you when you pass the written exams.

Thanks. YES I've already did one renewal and didn't notice it expired. So now I have 3 days to get the paper temp permit. Now worried about the actual road test if I have time if they don't call me right away assuming I do the permit, then drug , then medical. Also do I list if I got terminated at my last job or can I say personal reasons?

How forgiving are they when qualifying are they at zerega?

Extremely little, if anything, none. Although you get an "S", you have to drive absolutely perfect to qualify. That's why most people qualify on Day 9 in Uptown Manhattan.

thanks for informing me :)

No problem.

Hello everyone, please advise..I did my drug test and going for my medical next week. If I'm selected, I'm unable to start till March 2016, since I have to go out of the country for about 9 days in Feb. Should I go through the whole process to see if I get selected first and if I do ask them to hold my position? or will they let me take off in February next year? or is there any other alternative without cancelling my trip?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

They're not going to let you take off in February, since you have to go through probation, which is one [1] calendar year...when you go for final processing, I would tell your interviewer your story and just re-instate yourself to the list when you get back...

Also do I list if I got terminated at my last job or can I say personal reasons?

Just be honest and up-front since they will check...if you did get terminated, it's not the end of the world, this is a city job and not the private industry. You're also being hired off of a list, not based on your previous employment.

Edited by +Young+

So if I don't get my permit before Nov 3 what are my options? Do I have to show up on Nov 3Rd and ask for a new appointment or delay the process? And if so how do I do so and how long I have to wait until I get my permit? Gonna be hard to go to the dmv when I work business hours. And harder is the hours of the written test are 8am -1 pm

Edited by isaelperez81