B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

So if I don't get my permit before Nov 3 what are my options? Do I have to show up on Nov 3Rd and ask for a new appointment or delay the process? And if so how do I do so and how long I have to wait until I get my permit? Gonna be hard to go to the dmv when I work business hours. And harder is the hours of the written test are 8-1 am

If you don't have the permit by then and, you show up they will turn you away. If you don't go, you'll be removed from the list. Which you would have to be reinstated back to the list to be called again. You have until the list expires which is a couple of years from now if I am correct. If you restore you know to the list there's no given time on how long they would call you again but, they definitely will. 

Edited by +Young+
Spelling error...

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don't have the permit by then and, you show up they will turn you away. If you don't go, you'll be removed from the list. Which you would have to be reinstated back to the list to be called again. You have until the list expires which is a couple of years from now if I am correct. If you restore you know to the list there's no given time on how long they would call you again but, they diffidently will.

So I should appear and they will remove me until I get the permit and won't lose my opportunity with mta? How do I reinstate my number? Is there is waitin period? I notice on the bottom of the paper it says if I cannot attend the appointment to mail the form. " () I decline appointment " sign date address. I rather do it in person if possible to avoid being removed frim consideration

So I should appear and they will remove me until I get the permit and won't lose my opportunity with mta? How do I reinstate my number? Is there is waitin period? I notice on the bottom of the paper it says if I cannot attend the appointment to mail the form. " () I decline appointment " sign date address. I rather do it in person if possible to avoid being removed frim consideration

You wouldn't loose your oppurtunity with the MTA. If you want you could still report on Nov 3. Since you don't have your permit, they won't process you until you have it. If you feel better going down their that date you can but, they will tell you how you would go about putting yourself back on the list. It isn't hard and, many people have done it with no problems. There is no waiting period to restore your name. You would just have to wait for your name to be reached again. If you mail in that form you are removing yourself from the list either way if I am correct. It even states "if you don't want to be considered for appointment do not report." If you don't show up they will remove you. If you show up with no CDL Permit, you will be removed from the list so etiher way your in the same position of having to restore yourself. 

Edited by tdevon2012

You wouldn't loose your oppurtunity with the MTA. If you want you could still report on Nov 3. Since you don't have your permit, they won't process you until you have it. If you feel better going down their that date you can but, they will tell you how you would go about putting yourself back on the list. It isn't hard and, many people have done it with no problems. There is no waiting period to restore your name. You would just have to wait for your name to be reached again. If you mail in that form you are removing yourself from the list either way if I am correct.

According to the letter sign and mail to decline the appointment. And stipulates if you don't respond or show up you will be removed

According to the letter sign and mail to decline the appointment. And stipulates if you don't respond or show up you will be removed

If I am correct it's the same thing but, if you want to make sure you can still go nov 3. When you get there they will explain it to you. 

hello, i have a question about the drug testing at nyc mta, the following is a federal DOT, which is based on a 5panal expanded to include oxys, did anybody ask the person taking the sample what test they were doing, IE, 5panel expanded, 7panel expanded or 9 panel expanded,this question is in regards to prescription meds,

DOT Rule 49 CFR Part 40 Section 40.85
Subpart F - Drug Testing Laboratories
§ 40.85 What drugs do laboratories test for?

As a laboratory, you must test for the following five drugs or classes of drugs in a DOT drug test. You must not test “DOT specimens” for any other drugs.

(A) Marijuana metabolites.

(B) Cocaine metabolites.

(C) Amphetamines.

(D) Opiate metabolites.

(E) Phencyclidine (PCP).

Updated: Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Hey Everyone , I just received my pre-employment package list number 15***. I'm in a bit of jam right now because currently I'm a CCA (temporary) employee at the United States Postal Service. I would like know if it is possible to reinstate myself for this position because I do not have no form of CDL identification at all (Permit, License). Due to the long hours and no guaranteed days off in the postal service, I never really got around to it, and I did not expect the MTA to get back to me so fast. If i'm able to reinstate myself for the position, can I do it at the pre employment on November first, or can I do it through the phone, mail, computer, etc ?  Thanks for all the help in this forum everybody.

Hello, I would call Mrs Chestnut on Monday,, she is the HR person handling exam 4600 phone 347-643-8213, leave message, she got back to me within 1 hour. leave list number name contact info, she will be able to explain process removal and reinstatement procedure, good luck

You're not the only one that this happens to...

Why this letter had to comea and in such a short window time frame to get affairs in order. It's gonna be ugly situation at my other job, as I do cover routes

hello, the short window time frame is because if all your paper work is good on first day they send you to medical same day for the drug screen test, time you get letter and time to report is about 3-5 days, not enough time to cleans or detox body if thats your thing and you will fail drug screen

hello, the short window time frame is because if all your paper work is good on first day they send you to medical same day for the drug screen test, time you get letter and time to report is about 3-5 days, not enough time to cleans or detox body if thats your thing and you will fail drug screen

It's not my thing. My current job is DOT regulated and don't need to worry about a drug test since I don't do any. My issue was the permit and my current job timing. I saw the post and was thinking, man I hope they don't call me yet, so I can get my affairs in order. Now I have mixed feelings of joy but also stress. I think about the bus operator job from time to time, thinking, man such a better job, better pay, benefits, and don't have to be really outside in the elements per say.

That wasn't the case for me...I originally had a Class A CDL with a Tank & Passenger Endorsement. When I went to the DMV in Jamaica to take the School Bus endorsement test on 6/4/15, it was then that they gave me the Class B CLP (Commercial Learners Permit) with the appropriate restrictions. I took a road test in a bus about two months afterwards, and now I have the Class A with all of the endorsements and a M restriction, respectfully.

Lol wow, this is my exact situation, CDL A with endorsements and the DMV at Barclay was telling me that I have to change my license to a B. I don't have the school bus endorsement though but i do have Passenger on my A, maybe that's why they didn't give me a B CLP? Also, is it that you had the license card and the paper permit for the road test or did you have a license card and a permit card as well? Because I was told that at the road test for the B permit, they don't accept the paper that you receive at the DMV, only the card that comes in the mail.

I received my letter today for October 31. I will pass the opportunity for now until I have my full CDL. My list number in the 1,400 range.

why? everyone getting hired from this test will pass you in seniority. Last test (2613) people passed up like you want too and it cost them big $, top pay went from 3 yrs to 5 yrs as a new contract was settled. Same situation is approaching with contract expiring  Jan 2017. Although it should take them time to get a new one but you never really know. You know the MTA is going to push to get rid of 25/55 pension and make it 30/62. Lots of things can go wrong. I was in a tough spot when I was hired but someone told me do whatever is necc to get in and I did. Have friends who waited and they got stuck with the 5 yr top pay which ended up being 6 months after me getting hired. 

Edited by nycpips

Lol wow, this is my exact situation, CDL A with endorsements and the DMV at Barclay was telling me that I have to change my license to a B. I don't have the school bus endorsement though but i do have Passenger on my A, maybe that's why they didn't give me a B CLP? Also, is it that you had the license card and the paper permit for the road test or did you have a license card and a permit card as well? Because I was told that at the road test for the B permit, they don't accept the paper that you receive at the DMV, only the card that comes in the mail.

They told you that you had to change your license to a B? That's extremely sick...I would've checked in with some other DMV locations first before doing that...the DMV I went to gave me a Class B CLP. And then after I took my road test, I was, and still am, able to drive both a tractor trailer and/or bus with no restrictions. 

For the road test, you need both the license card and the permit card, with your picture on both of them. However, as soon as you get your paper permit, you can go to any driving school and start enrolling in lessons until the permit card comes in the mail from Albany - they say two weeks in the mail, however, sometimes it comes in a week or 8 days.

why?

Cause it's based on his/her preference to have the CDL before going into training. Before the arguments begin, let me just say that there are pros & cons to this, and the biggest "con", in my opinion is that if you qualify on Day 10, and you fail the road test, you're out!!

Congrats to all that have gotter their letters. Don't stress or put off if you do not have your license yet. If you have the permit take the opportunity now, and don't wait. If you can make it thru qualification the dmv road test is a not difficult. Better you get in now, before January 2017 when union contract is probably gonna change, and like someone stated before it might change to 30/62 (30 years of service /62 years old to retire.)

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

They told you that you had to change your license to a B? That's extremely sick...I would've checked in with some other DMV locations first before doing that...the DMV I went to gave me a Class B CLP. And then after I took my road test, I was, and still am, able to drive both a tractor trailer and/or bus with no restrictions. 

For the road test, you need both the license card and the permit card, with your picture on both of them. However, as soon as you get your paper permit, you can go to any driving school and start enrolling in lessons until the permit card comes in the mail from Albany - they say two weeks in the mail, however, sometimes it comes in a week or 8 days.

Cause it's based on his/her preference to have the CDL before going into training. Before the arguments begin, let me just say that there are pros & cons to this, and the biggest "con", in my opinion is that if you qualify on Day 10, and you fail the road test, you're out!!

Thanks for clarifying that it is indeed both cards that I need for the road test, the DMV at Barclays was not even sure about that, they had to call Albany to confirm. SMH. I will go and request a Class B CLP on at the one on Jamaica instead.

Also, I agree, getting the CDL before is a huge plus. I'm socially awkward so I wasn't part of the discussion but when I went to the interview, had a few stories being told of individuals who passed the 10 day training and failed at the DMV. Least having the CDL, you already have half of what you need.

Thanks for clarifying that it is indeed both cards that I need for the road test, the DMV at Barclays was not even sure about that, they had to call Albany to confirm. SMH. I will go and request a Class B CLP on at the one on Jamaica instead.

Also, I agree, getting the CDL before is a huge plus. I'm socially awkward so I wasn't part of the discussion but when I went to the interview, had a few stories being told of individuals who passed the 10 day training and failed at the DMV. Least having the CDL, you already have half of what you need.

No problem. If I was you, go to DMV's website, click on DMV Offices, enter your zip code and see what you come up with. If you enter "11201", for the Livingston Street zip code, there are other DMV offices in Lower Manhattan, Midtown Manhattan, Harlem, etc., before you come out to Queens, which involves taking the (F) to 169th Street and walking 0.3 miles South towards Jamaica Avenue. If you decide to take either the (E), (J) or (Z) to Jamaica Center, the walk is a lot longer - trust me.

Looking back on 2014, when I had the permit, I was so lost, but now, with my CDL and the experience that I'm gaining at my job, I feel more confident when I try again in 2019. Speaking of my current job, if anyone is interested, the company is still hiring...

I just capped my pants, figuratively, got my letter now. List 16xx. Problem I have to go to livingston on Nov 3. I don't have my cdl permit, it expired. What do I do? If I go to the dmv and get my permit paper work will that be enough? I didn't anticipated the letter come so soon, I figured next year. Am I out of the running? Sorry if this was posted before.

I got my letter on a Monday and had to report on Wednesday. I did not have the permit. However I had the study book and I studied on Monday night and took the test on Tuesday and I passed. Went the following day to Livingston, but surprise...they didn't ask for the permit. Checked all other docs. My advise, study hard, take the test. You have three more days. No matter what, got to Livingston on 3rd. May be you'll get lucky..

Edited by dissa2000

Can somebody tell me what happens at final processing? Is it before you go to Zeraga for training?

That's because they pull up your abstract, and they saw that you got the permit the previous day...that's why they didn't ask for it.

Good point...thanks

Edited by dissa2000

Can you renew an expired clp? It's been 8 months since my permit expired. Or do I have to take the whole general knowledge airbrakes and passenger all over again. Not sure how I am going to do this is work and all. Don't have sick days. I'm already thinking about the Nov 3 appointment. No clp has got me all nervous. If I place a hold on my number, how do I get back in?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Also do I do NI or NA for the renewal permit.

sent from my note4