B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Can somebody tell me what happens at final processing? Is it before you go to Zeraga for training?

Good point...thanks

First, as far as final processing is concerned, you will have a little "interview" in which they will go over all of your paperwork, make sure your previous employment is in sync with the paperwork that was initially mailed to you and the 21 page booklet, which catches a lot of people off-guard, they will send you for fingerprints, in addition to your photo for your Metrocard pass. Finally, they will give you a date, time, the location of Zerega Avenue, and they will instruct you as far as what to wear as well.

Second, no problem.

Can you renew an expired clp? It's been 8 months since my permit expired. Or do I have to take the whole general knowledge airbrakes and passenger all over again. Not sure how I am going to do this is work and all. Don't have sick days. I'm already thinking about the Nov 3 appointment. No clp has got me all nervous. If I place a hold on my number, how do I get back in?

According to this DMV page, it says that after 180 days, you're allowed to renew it once. After another 180 days, it's then that you have to take the tests all over again.

As far as placing yourself on hold and getting back in, it's a process called reinstating your list number. Long story short, when you're ready, you have to write a short letter to DCAS, and then once they place you back on the list, then the HR Dept @ NYC Transit will call you, respectively.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, as far as final processing is concerned, you will have a little "interview" in which they will go over all of your paperwork, make sure your previous employment is in sync with the paperwork that was initially mailed to you and the 21 page booklet, which catches a lot of people off-guard, they will send you for fingerprints, in addition to your photo for your Metrocard pass. Finally, they will give you a date, time, the location of Zerega Avenue, and they will instruct you as far as what to wear as well.

Second, no problem.

According to this DMV page, it says that after 180 days, you're allowed to renew it once. After another 180 days, it's then that you have to take the tests all over again.

As far as placing yourself on hold and getting back in, it's a process called reinstating your list number. Long story short, when you're ready, you have to write a short letter to DCAS, and then once they place you back on the list, then the HR Dept @ NYC Transit will call you, respectively.

So either way I am going down on Nov 3 to put myself on hold? Since I Don't have my clp., and don't have time to go and do the written test. This really is upsetting, and don't want to delay this any futher. I would have like to come into this with my cdl b ready to go

sent from my note4

So either way I am going down on Nov 3 to put myself on hold? Since I Don't have my clp., and don't have time to go and do the written test. This really is upsetting, and don't want to delay this any futher. I would have like to come into this with my cdl b ready to go

I understand where you're coming from, however, as it says in the Notice of Examination, by the time of appointment you must have either your CDL license or the permit. If you go down there this week with neither, they are going to simply turn you away and tell you to come back once you have your permit, even if that means going to DMV a few days before and you have a temporary permit in your possession - they will run your abstract so they'll know whether you have it or not.

As far as NI or NA - choose NI. According to this DMV webpage, if you choose NA, you're going to have a K restriction, and they're not going to like that.

Anyone know if Manhattan bus depots have employee parking? MJ Quill depot specifically?

Quill, Kingsbridge, Mother clara, and MTV have parking, and when that gets filled up you can park in other depot levels, as long as your car is out before the buses that park there are back at end of day.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Well good and bad news. I went down on my break to the dmv. Passed the general knowledge airbrakes but failed the passanger. Lol didn't study but I have 2 more chances Tues and Wednesday to get my pass endorsement and get my clp

sent from my note4

hello, same happen to me, failed passenger endorsement, woman at DMV told me to go to another DMV same day to take test for passenger endorsement again, i went from brooklyn to dmv west 31 st manhattan, passed test, they were the only DMV with late hours for testing on endorsements, only thing you cannot do is retest same day and same DMV, also study chapter 2, i read this chapter on the train ride to manhattan DMV, passenger endorsement had some questions from this chapter, thats what tricked me up the first time, also that is the only time i read the book, i did all the nysdmvcdl practice questions online over and over for 3 days prior to taking the test, good luck

Well good and bad news. I went down on my break to the dmv. Passed the general knowledge airbrakes but failed the passanger. Lol didn't study but I have 2 more chances Tues and Wednesday to get my pass endorsement and get my clp

sent from my note4

that's great keep it going. I see you don't want to miss this opportunity which is good.

How fast hypothetically speaking if I go in Nov 3, would they call for training? Assuming clear medical etc. I would like to get my cdl ahead of the training, don't want to end up losing a position if I don't pass the road test. I know negativity for the future but I want the smoothest transition. Assuming I go to driving school and the earliest road test schedule

sent from my note4

hello, same happen to me, failed passenger endorsement, woman at DMV told me to go to another DMV same day to take test for passenger endorsement again, i went from brooklyn to dmv west 31 st manhattan, passed test, they were the only DMV with late hours for testing on endorsements, only thing you cannot do is retest same day and same DMV, also study chapter 2, i read this chapter on the train ride to manhattan DMV, passenger endorsement had some questions from this chapter, thats what tricked me up the first time, also that is the only time i read the book, i did all the nysdmvcdl practice questions online over and over for 3 days prior to taking the test, good luck

I took my air brakes test three times the same day, it was the only day I could do it. It was Staten Island though, and it cost $5 per try. Good luck to you.

I took my air brakes test three times the same day, it was the only day I could do it. It was Staten Island though, and it cost $5 per try. Good luck to you.

That was nice of them, usually it's one per day at the same location. Gotta study the passanger part tonight and try again tomorrow

sent from my note4

yes the DMV woman in brooklyn told me that Staten Island DMV is the only location you can retest as many times as you want in the same day as long as time permits before they close for the day.

I'm just wondering what to write for the "Career Objective" question in the 21 page booklet. Any good ideas ?

Depending on your background, I would say something to the nature of a successful career with NYC Transit...even if you just have a high school diploma, you can work your way up from Bus Operator, to Train Operator, to Train Service Supervisor to Superintendent. You also need to keep in mind the office positions at Zerega Avenue, 2 Broadway and both Livingston Street buildings (130 & 180) as well...

How fast hypothetically speaking if I go in Nov 3, would they call for training? Assuming clear medical etc. I would like to get my cdl ahead of the training, don't want to end up losing a position if I don't pass the road test. I know negativity for the future but I want the smoothest transition. Assuming I go to driving school and the earliest road test schedule

Honestly, to tell you the truth, it depends on their hiring needs. However, based on my experience of how fast they work at 180 Livingston Street, if I had to take an educated guess, I would say at least a month.

Now, with that said, according to this DMV page, you cannot book a road test within the first fourteen (14) days of receiving your Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP). However, having that temporary CLP paper document will be good enough to get you started at a driving school, whether it's Shore Driving School, Ferrari Driving School (where I went for the tractor trailer & the bus), Ena's Driving School, 1st Choice Driving School, etc. I would not only encourage you to do your homework, but also when your able to book your road test, work with your driving school to make sure that there's a vehicle & instructor available for you.

True story: After I got my Class A CDL & my Class B permit (for the bus), I went to Ferrari's Long Island City (LIC) location for my bus lessons since there was some confusion with regards to me receiving a restriction on my license if I took the road test in an automatic transmission bus (in the long run - it didn't make a difference). Compared to the office staff in Brooklyn, in which they gave me a road test date shortly after I paid my balance, the LIC staff was the exact opposite. Therefore, one day (after trying many times), I was on DMV's Road Test Scheduling System and I saw some dates open for Maspeth (where I took both road tests). As soon as I saw the dates open, I called the school and after a few attempts with what was open compared to what was not open, as far as vehicle and instructor availability, we were able to settle on a date and I was able to take my road test within two [2] months of initially receiving the permit.

Therefore, like they say, if you work hard, do your homework, and if you put your total effort into it, in the long run, it pays off.

Edited by +Young+
Corrections & Clarifications...

Thanks young. I would say pre trip with all the steps would be the toughest step of the process. Question, if the road test vehicle necessarily need to be a bus, or can a staight truck be substituted lol.

sent from my note4

No problem. IMHO, if you memorize the pre-trip and practice it over and over again, by the time the road test (or the 10-day training) comes around, it should be easy. The road test vehicle has to be a bus, a straight truck is different when it comes to the pre-trip (emergency exit doors and the interior).

Speaking of the pre-trip, have you folks looked at the handouts lately from my (former) Instructor back in 2014? The last two contain the pre-trip checkoff list for both the interior and exterior of the MTA bus!!

How many questions are on the BOSS test, I am going tomorrow to take the test at livingston street, because i was never notified of the test, paper work error on MTA part, thanks in advance

About 80 questions...

Thanks young. I would say pre trip with all the steps would be the toughest step of the process. Question, if the road test vehicle necessarily need to be a bus, or can a staight truck be substituted lol.

sent from my note4

It has to be a bus. Nothing else, including a mini, can be substituted.

Edited by +Young+
Addition..

BTW I spoke to the representative at the dmv you may not renew a clp. Every 6 months you must show up with birth certificate and dot medical and do the test all over. What you can do is downgrade before it expires to a clp Class C

sent from my note4

just read this on new rules for CLP from nys dmv website

Commercial document changes

The following federally mandated changes will be made to commercial documents

• CLPs will be valid for only 180 days with one renewal for an additional 180 days, after which the holder will have to apply for a new CLP, including retaking any required knowledge tests
  • New York State will void and return an applicant’s current CLP or CDL document when issuing a new CLP/CDL document

sent from my note4

Next class is on November 14th. If you pass the medical, you might be able to make it.