B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol, trust me I know the feeling but, you have nothing to worry about. The whole process is nerve racking.

The 21 page questionnaire is long as hell. But going back to H.S. and listing all jobs with pay, dates and supervisor Is going to be a huge challenge.

sent from my note4

What was your list number? If you don't mind me asking and did you get a start date yet?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

List #13xx. I'm on medical hold. If not i could have started training on Nov.14th. I'll take my time, get my CDL and get reinstated in January.

How did they contact you by phone or email if you don't mind me asking

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Email

The 21 page questionnaire is long as hell. But going back to H.S. and listing all jobs with pay, dates and supervisor Is going to be a huge challenge.

Not necessarily. If you go to your local Social Security office, they can give you a printout of all of your on-the-books jobs, which Transit requires. And for any gaps, you just have to mention how you were supported - your parents, wife, husband, siblings, etc. I don't know offhand how much this cost, but I do know they accept personal checks.

List #13xx. I'm on medical hold. If not i could have started training on Nov.14th. I'll take my time, get my CDL and get reinstated in January.

Keep in mind that even if you get reinstated, you're going to have to clear that medical hold. And from what I remember, if I'm correct, any documentation is good for three [3] months.

Job history is my next issue. Looks bad I had several jobs and been dismissed several times. Really don't like writing about it and don't like my employment history.

Keep in mind that you're being hired off of a civil service list - it's not the private sector in which you are hired based on an interview and you have to tell that you've been dismissed or fired. We all know that things happen in life. Therefore, even though you might feel uncomfortable, just be honest and straightforward, since they do check up on this stuff, and you'll be fine.

Not necessarily. If you go to your local Social Security office, they can give you a printout of all of your on-the-books jobs, which Transit requires. And for any gaps, you just have to mention how you were supported - your parents, wife, husband, siblings, etc. I don't know offhand how much this cost, but I do know they accept personal checks.

Keep in mind that even if you get reinstated, you're going to have to clear that medical hold. And from what I remember, if I'm correct, any documentation is good for three [3] months.

Keep in mind that you're being hired off of a civil service list - it's not the private sector in which you are hired based on an interview and you have to tell that you've been dismissed or fired. We all know that things happen in life. Therefore, even though you might feel uncomfortable, just be honest and straightforward, since they do check up on this stuff, and you'll be fine.

To be honest, I highly doubt they will judge you based on bad work history. As long as your license is clear and no heavy dirty background that can disqualified you from getting the job, you should be able to pass HR level, the tougher challenges will be passing the 7-10 day training. And succeeding the one year probationary period. Like young said just list everything and be honest....

Thanks for the feedback. Feeling better. Still here waiting. Ive Seen people leave upset today due to License issues.

I'm not surprised...

Would an insurance lapse disqualify me from getting hired?

I'm not 100% sure, however, if it's on your abstract, yes. If not, then no.

Just Curious, if you pass 7-10 Training, how long after is Graduation. Also, how soon do you start receiving medical coverage?

Graduation is exactly 4 weeks of Day 10.

Medical coverage doesn't begin until 90 days.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

For Medical 90 days from Completion of Training or 90 days starting from the graduation date. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause you.

I greatly appreciate it.  Thanks.

The reason I ask is just because i'll have my wife sign up for medical on her end for the gap, while I un-elect coverage from my current job.

Okay, just got my letter today for 4600. I'm in the 1800s. Can't wait to transfer (OA to TA) to Staten Island where I live. Had a good time in Brooklyn though (Ulmer Park), but definitely looking forward to the transfer. Only thing that needs to be done again is medical. Going down November 9th.