B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh so u dont report to zerega every day while in training? Do u go to different depots?

day one is paperwork to be filled out a Zerega same info from the first round of questions. want to know 3 years employment, 3 years driving accidents or tickets, then convictions as far back as ever. before you leave your giving a packet with information, study book manual, and your id/metro card pass. your then told what depot to report to for the rest of the training. if you don't have your cdl license, you have to pay the DMV 40 bucks for appointment scheduling. Don't schedule the test, bring that conformation of payment to your direct superintendent and they will make the date for the test after you pass qualifying.

if you have cdl permit

-pass day 6 and 7 then you have 2 chances to pass road test. if you fail road test you have to go back to qualifications

- day 8/9 and pass both and then they send you again for the road test and must qualify. Fail the test your out.

if you have your cdl license

-day 6 and 7 qualify pass and your in. if not then...

-day 8 retrain and day 9 qualify your in. if not then...

-day 10 do or don't.

sent from my note4

day one is paperwork to be filled out a Zerega same info from the first round of questions. want to know 3 years employment, 3 years driving accidents or tickets, then convictions as far back as ever. before you leave your giving a packet with information, study book manual, and your id/metro card pass. your then told what depot to report to for the rest of the training. if you don't have your cdl license, you have to pay the DMV 40 bucks for appointment scheduling. Don't schedule the test, bring that conformation of payment to your direct superintendent and they will make the date for the test after you pass qualifying.

if you have cdl permit

-pass day 6 and 7 then you have 2 chances to pass road test. if you fail road test you have to go back to qualifications

- day 8/9 and pass both and then they send you again for the road test and must qualify. Fail the test your out.

if you have your cdl license

-day 6 and 7 qualify pass and your in. if not then...

-day 8 retrain and day 9 qualify your in. if not then...

-day 10 do or don't.

sent from my note4

Kool thanks for the info and i wish u the best of lucks out there .. good luck

Oh ok thanks for ur reply +young+ im guessin the clases are combined of both TA And OA bus operators bc from what i was told there also an OA exam which they are currently hiring from... it been that way everyone who did pre employment should be hearing for medical and training soon then...Thanks for ur reply

You're welcome. Ultimately, it depends on the hiring needs, but the classes can be a combination of all three [3] companies: NYC Transit (civil service), MaBSTOA** (OA) & MTA Bus Company** (TA).

** = You only needed to take a BOSS exam for these companies, followed by a "random" list number.

Oh so u dont report to zerega every day while in training? Do u go to different depots?

No. Same depot for the first seven days, then a different depot & instructor for days 8 & 9, then Zerega for Day 10 with two Superintendents. If you qualify on Days 7 or 9, then you'll be sent to Jamaica Depot for RTS and Nova Training.

Best of luck to everyone..

Stay focus.. make sure you get enough sleep and bury all of your face in those mirrors.

Neck should be going back and forth like brushing your teeth.

It's funny you say that cause that's what I do while driving the shuttle bus...just keep that head moving, light movements...

Hi Everyone! I am happy to say that I qualified yesterday on Day 9 !

Congratulations sergio1221 and to everyone in the 10/31/2016 class that qualified on Day 7, 9 and who WILL qualify on Day 10. Don't be too nervous, call out everything and scan your mirrors.

Best advice for everybody going in on Monday:

- Don't bring coffee/drinks/food into the classroom.

- LISTEN to instructions.

- Do NOT be late, on time is late - I planned to be an hour early to all my assignments and two days, I literally slid in with minutes to spare.

- If you drove before, you have to drive the way your instructor wants - including mirror setups!

- Do bring a copy of the pre-employment application (the 4 page form you initially got in the mail, if you didn't make a copy - don't worry, just write down the dates and places of employment for the past 3 years, dates/locations of accidents within the past three years and know dates of conviction of ALL convictions traffic and criminal. Bring this everyday until you qualify. You will be filling out multiple, redundant Article 19-A forms throughout the week.

- Qualifying on Days 6&7, Day 9 or Day 10 is still QUALIFYING!

- Support and encourage your co-workers on your bus!! You have a job waiting for you and so does everyone on your bus - this is not a competition! Give them feedback. Keep the positivity.

Just a note, the 10/31/2016 class had people from TA Exam 2613 in it, they get to pick before any of us 4600 folks.

Congrats 161 newyork

day one in the books. tomorrow fresh pond depot. 830

sent from my note4

You will have Supt. Williams at Fresh Pond Probably. If you do, he's a little strict for you to cover your right and making your reference point turns. But he's a good instructor. Again just don't stress if you don't qualify day 6 and 7. You can always make day 9, which sometimes it will happen since you share driving time with 3 other people.

Good luck to everyone.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

You will have Supt. Williams at Fresh Pond Probably. If you do, he's a little strict for you to cover your right and making your reference point turns. But he's a good instructor. Again just don't stress if you don't qualify day 6 and 7. You can always make day 9, which sometimes it will happen since you share driving time with 3 other people.

Good luck to everyone.

supt. agosto. awesome first time behind the wheel. gotta learn how to properly use the service break.

sent from my note4

service brakes

sent from my note4

supt. agosto. awesome first time behind the wheel. gotta learn how to properly use the service break.

sent from my note4

Agosto is great as well. I had him during DMV Road test prep. That comes with times. There's still times I'm out pulling into stops and still step on them a bit too hard. Remember to use PNI (Parking-Neutral-Interlock) when securing bus. One guy we had we had to add PN1I((Parking-Neutral-Door Handle to 1-Interlock). Just make sure you call out all signs,bike lanes, and make sure to call out the bikes approaching before they get to the side of the bus. Everyone here was very helpful, so if there is anything, always reach out.

Anyone who has been contacted for the medical (following your first trip to Livingston Street), please let us know if it was by phone or email.

When I went down the first time Nov. 9th, they said I will receive an email. When I originally went through this process almost 2 years ago (for OA), it was a phone call I received, so I asked them to confirm about receiving an email and they said yes.

Also, can you state what the email is exactly (unless it was from an email with their name). That way we can add that address to our contacts in our emails and less chance it may go to spam etc.

Thanks in advance!

As a reminder I'm in the mid 1800s.

Anyone who has been contacted for the medical (following your first trip to Livingston Street), please let us know if it was by phone or email.

When I went down the first time Nov. 9th, they said I will receive an email. When I originally went through this process almost 2 years ago (for OA), it was a phone call I received, so I asked them to confirm about receiving an email and they said yes.

Also, can you state what the email is exactly (unless it was from an email with their name). That way we can add that address to our contacts in our emails and less chance it may go to spam etc.

Thanks in advance!

jump back to page 356 isralperez posted the email letter for there medical appointment

Dec 12th to my knowledge there no more november classes

There might be a class on November 28th, however it's probably filled, that's why there are no more November classes.

Agosto is great as well. I had him during DMV Road test prep....

What? No one mentioned this to me back in 2014...

Thanks in advance!

If it's the same as when I went, the very first time, they will contact you via snail mail, since they send the initial paperwork for you to bring in. Everytime thereafter, they will email you your letter. Ms. Chestnut emails you (or at least she did me), so it shouldn't automatically go to the spam folder.

What? No one mentioned this to me back in 2014...

What, the DMV road prep? Yeah, Zerega no longer sends students out for line training until they pass their road test. After G.I. day, you still report to the Superintendents for a refresher until you pass. The day after that, you'll start line training.

I mentioned this before. Those that do not have a license don't stress out or miss training cause of it. Once you qualify during training, zerega will send you to different depots and different Supt. Until your road test date, which is usually a week after day 10. We had 5 extra days of driving the bus just to get more used to it(and no stress at least the supt. I was with. We had already qualified so even if we made mistakes, they pointed them out and we corrected them.), until we went back to zerega for our road test. by that time we weren't stressed about not making it cause of DMV since we were so comfortable driving the bus without stress or passengers. Even now with the guys in my depot out of my class, we are more comfortable than those that went straight to line training with passengers.

Edited by dac9050

Thanks in advance!

The email will come from Juanita Chestnut. Mine came directly to my email, not my junk or spam. Good luck.