B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you get your 1st paycheck right after training or does it take a few weeks?

They are available the Thursday after Day 10. If you don't get them at Zerega on G.I. Day, then they will send them to your assigned depot/pay location.

Yes u get paid for training even if you don't qualify

If you happen to fail, expect two [2] paychecks in the mail: One for Days Zero thru Nine, and the second one for Day 10. In addition, don't forget about that W-2 when you do your income taxes! My W-2 came in the mail towards the end of January the following year, since I failed in February of 2014.

Edited by +Young+

Yes. The 90 days start from the first day at Zerega but they won't kick in until the 1st of the month after those 90 days. For example, I started on 9/6 and my benefits just started last week, 12/1

9/6 to 12/1 is 86 days, you're sure you have benefits now and not until 1/1/17?

Do you get your 1st paycheck right after training or does it take a few weeks?

I received my paycheck on GI Day. Which was a Thursday.

Question so while u doin the ten day trainin they also pay u for that although u still dont know if ur in or not?

Your paid from the first day of orientation until you a: fail to qualify for and or dmv testing.

Day 6 is pre qualification. Pass then you go to day 7 for Qualification.

FAIL day 6 or 7 you go to more training Day 8 and Day 9 you have to requalify. Fail that you go to Day 10 at Zerega, which you must make qualification. If you fail day 10 you must resign or be fired. You are paid for the 10 days.

My case, I started 11/14. Failed day 6. Automatically go to 7, 8, 9. Day 7 was the test but since I didn't qualify it's just training day for me. Trained day 8 and day 9 I qualified.

Qualifying on either day 7 or 9, if you don't have your cdl, you get 2 chances to take the dmv road test.

After day 9, we continued to "train" but was mostly paperwork at TWC 100 on wednesday, and Zerega for GI Thursday, depot pick and paperwork. Then waited for my road test, Friday. I failed my road test Friday.

Sent back to requalify on Monday at Zerega, (if you fail here you must resign or be fired) I passed and thus get another chance with the DMV. This was this Monday. TUES Wed and today was training, each of us getting turns and getting ready for our road test for tomorrow. So every day I worked or reported to TA since 11/14 I WAS PAID TO TRAIN OR WORK OR FILL OUT PAPERWORK. As of now 19 days paid.

The day you're asked resign or get fired is the last day you're paid for.

sent from my note4

I received my paycheck on GI Day. Which was a Thursday.

Your paid from the first day of orientation until you a: fail to qualify for and or dmv testing.

Day 6 is pre qualification. Pass then you go to day 7 for Qualification.

FAIL day 6 or 7 you go to more training Day 8 and Day 9 you have to requalify. Fail that you go to Day 10 at Zerega, which you must make qualification. If you fail day 10 you must resign or be fired. You are paid for the 10 days.

My case, I started 11/14. Failed day 6. Automatically go to 7, 8, 9. Day 7 was the test but since I didn't qualify it's just training day for me. Trained day 8 and day 9 I qualified.

Qualifying on either day 7 or 9, if you don't have your cdl, you get 2 chances to take the dmv road test.

After day 9, we continued to "train" but was mostly paperwork at TWC 100 on wednesday, and Zerega for GI Thursday, depot pick and paperwork. Then waited for my road test, Friday. I failed my road test Friday.

Sent back to requalify on Monday at Zerega, (if you fail here you must resign or be fired) I passed and thus get another chance with the DMV. This was this Monday. TUES Wed and today was training, each of us getting turns and getting ready for our road test for tomorrow. So every day I worked or reported to TA since 11/14 I WAS PAID TO TRAIN OR WORK OR FILL OUT PAPERWORK. As of now 19 days paid.

The day you're asked resign or get fired is the last day you're paid for.

sent from my note4

Good luck on your road test tomorrow.

Passed DMV I'm finally in officially

sent from my note4

Congratulations!!

Hey everyone just have a question I know the current contract expires in january if someone gets hired after the current contract expires if the mta hasnt signed a new contract will they be hired under the old contract or will they be hired and have to wait until mta signes a contract to know what they are entitled to if anyone can answer me ill appreciate it thanks..?

I would believe your Date of Appointment (Day Zero - Zerega) would determine this.

You just came in with the class that started line training last week? Where you training out of?

Yes, I'll send you a PM shortly.

Were you sent to SI or did you pick it?  How is it compared to the rest of the boroughs you drove in when qualifying? 

Volunteered to Staten Island as I live there. I drove in Manhattan on a commuter / express coach bus before I joined the TA. 

The main consideration is safely operating a bus while reading and dealing / "negotiating" with traffic and "knowing the bus you are in" as we have different methods of buses. There are a lot of two way, one lane roads on Staten Island = tight squeeze. Other operators have told me that Queens can be worse. 

Edited by 161NewYork

"Volunteered to Staten Island as I live there. I drove in Manhattan on a commuter / express coach bus before I joined the TA. 

The main consideration is safely operating a bus while reading and dealing / "negotiating" with traffic and "knowing the bus you are in" as we have different methods of buses. There are a lot of two way, one lane roads on Staten Island = tight squeeze. Other operators have told me that Queens can be worse."

My transfer to Staten Island came in last Tuesday which I accepted.  After 5 days of line training on multiple lines per day, I can say SI definitely has a little bit of everything.  Experienced those tight squeezes doing the S40 on Richmond Terrace due to construction.  Lots of curving narrow roads and blind curves.  The S66 has some pretty steep inclines and declines.  Must be pretty challenging in the winter months.  Don't know my way around the Island yet, which is making me a little stressed out, but overall I'm liking the routes and happy with my decision to transfer. 

Edited by Ctrain24