B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

I'm wondering if I did the right thing. My list number is in the 14xxx range and I didn't respond to two letters for pre-employment because I wanted to wait to get my full CDL. I keep calling DCAS and they still have me on the list. I'm wondering if I did the right thing as far as waiting to be called later.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm wondering if I did the right thing. My list number is in the 14xxx range and I didn't respond to two letters for pre-employment because I wanted to wait to get my full CDL. I keep calling DCAS and they still have me on the list. I'm wondering if I did the right thing as far as waiting to be called later.

I too passed up 2x, took 6 months after the 2nd letter to be called

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I too passed up 2x, took 6 months after the 2nd letter to be called

Did they ever remove you from the list?

As long as your exam is still active then you shouldnt be removed, but if has i doubt they would be hiring from that list anymore.

Call and find out if your exam expired, if it has you'll have to reapply unfortunately.

As long as your exam is still active then you shouldnt be removed, but if has i doubt they would be hiring from that list anymore.

Call and find out if your exam expired, if it has you'll have to reapply unfortunately.

Any idea whe the next class for 4600 is ?

I'm on the 4600 exam so it won't expire anytime soon. My road test in in February.

Any idea whe the next class for 4600 is ?

Nope, Im sure things slow down during the winter months and kick back in during spring. My advice is to get in as soon as possible, i know people want to get your cdl before taking the training but dont get discouraged due to lack of a license, i did my training in april with no license and the biggest thing i drove was a pathfinder and was able to pass.

Dont get caught with a hiring freeze and you have to wait an additional year or two.

Ok, I did medical & final processing today. I'm in for the December 26th class. Just trying to figure out when I pick my depot. I'm switching from OA to TA so I don't have to do the 7-10 day training again (or probation). I thought maybe Monday but hearing it may be a day or two later according to someone else who was in the same situation not too long ago.

Ok, I did medical & final processing today. I'm in for the December 26th class. Just trying to figure out when I pick my depot. I'm switching from OA to TA so I don't have to do the 7-10 day training again (or probation). I thought maybe Monday but hearing it may be a day or two later according to someone else who was in the same situation not too long ago.

Speaking of December 26, does everyone know for sure that the schoolroom is open? They're observing Christmas on that Monday..also the following Monday for new years..

Congrats Hockey. I know you've been waiting a while to get closer to home. I'm currently line training in Staten Island. Just started the third depot today at Charleston. Eight students including myself from the Nov 14th class are picking depots on Dec 29th. There's more names on the board without a depot currently so I assume their in the class before us. They're picking on the same date as well.

@drop11412, thanks for bringing that up. I was at Zerega today for a Vision Zero class and asked. They said it's a holiday but not for Zerega Training Center.

@Ctrain24, Thanks a lot! Well, I guess I will find out for sure. If it's the 29th, that's cool. As long as it's sometime during the week. See ya there!

@drop11412, thanks for bringing that up. I was at Zerega today for a Vision Zero class and asked. They said it's a holiday but not for Zerega Training Center.

@Ctrain24, Thanks a lot! Well, I guess I will find out for sure. If it's the 29th, that's cool. As long as it's sometime during the week. See ya there!

Sound good..I guess I'll see you on Monday.. 

I should be going in the class for bus operator in the next few months(knock on wood).

Any ideas how easy it is to get a Saturday off so I can take the train operator exam?

At least two-three weeks in advance, inform your depot shop steward and you will likely tell the general dispatcher at your depot and you will be excused for that day (I believe you will receive run pay for this) unless it is your RDO (Regular Day Off) if you are still in 10 Day training, typically Monday - Friday or possibly line training again, typically a Monday - Friday schedule.

Edited by 161NewYork

At least two-three weeks in advance, inform your depot shop steward and you will likely tell the general dispatcher at your depot and you will be excused for that day (I believe you will receive run pay for this) unless it is your RDO (Regular Day Off) if you are still in 10 Day training, typically Monday - Friday or possibly line training again, typically a Monday - Friday schedule.

Kool.. Thanks for the info

how does the process go when you want to switch companies? do you have to apply for another exam or is there a period of time they give employees to transfer companies?

On lunch, Day 1. Did paperwork, and watched a video. Have Supt. Soto, seems to be a hardass, but fair and very patient, esp. With one guy who had trouble with the paperwork. I guess we get into what the next two weeks will bring, because bus work starts tomorrow.

On lunch, Day 1. Did paperwork, and watched a video. Have Supt. Soto, seems to be a hardass, but fair and very patient, esp. With one guy who had trouble with the paperwork. I guess we get into what the next two weeks will bring, because bus work starts tomorrow.

Today is Day 0 or Day O= Orientation (however you want to look at it). Tomorrow with the bus begins Day 1.

Good Luck! Keep all the information that you filled out for your 19-A with you because you will need it again through the week.