B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Done with Day 0. Training starts tomorrow at Flatbush with Supt. Gray. Anyone familiar with him/her?

I had gray. She is wonderful. Not being sarcastic either. She was the best and I am telling you this as the only one out of the 4 students on her bus days 1-7 who did not qualify. That was not her fault at all, as I totally screwed up day 6 which means I was ineligbale to qualify on 7. Wound up qualifying on the next eligible qualifying day which was 9. She is fantastic, you got lucky.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had Agosto 1-7 failed (day 6 too close to curb on bus stop), Bush 8-9 passed. Failed roadtest. Went and requalify on day 10 Bush / Negron. Trained more with Soto and Acosta before passing my second roadtest. They all have their respective teaching abilities and all have wide range of personality. Take all the information they give you and Tailor it to your own. Remember you pass or fail yourself, they are there to show you how Zerega and MTA wants you to drive to pass. My light bulb moment about my turning issues was brought into attention on my 8th day, using a reference point that caused my turn issue to be too wide. Soto gave a great parallel parking tip and between him and Acosta they both had great tips on getting close. It's too bad I messed up my count on the amount of turns in the dmv test but 5 points was a great sacafice.

Take it all with a grain of salt. It's nothing personal and shouldn't take things to heart. Of course be a sponge and absorb all the feedback, the good and bad. Look over your day sheets and fix your issues, ask for help. Don't show off. Don't be cocky. Even experienced drivers can be frazzled. Take your time. Operate safely. Ask questions if your not sure. Pay attention to how your teammates drive and see what they did right and wrong. The instructor will correct the student, just be mindful. Stay positive and avoid any negativity. Get plenty of rest, and show up on time. Even 1 hr earlier helps you calm down and makes your day better. Be safe. And all good luck.

sent from my note4

Had Agosto 1-7 failed (day 6 too close to curb on bus stop), Bush 8-9 passed....

Take it all with a grain of salt. It's nothing personal and shouldn't take things to heart....

Looking back, I'll agree...passing on Day 9 was easier than on Days 6 & 7, if I didn't make that one stupid mistake, I would have made it in.

Also, in case you folks forgot, have you looked at the handouts, which include the exterior & interior pre-trip of the bus?

Edited by +Young+
Typo correction...

Good luck to class 12/26.

Pay close attention to not only your instructor, but your other mates on your bus.

Two hands on the wheel at all times

Scan your mirrors every 3-5 seconds

Call out and let the instructor know where is the hazard

Use your reference points when making turns

Cover your brakes

Observe the Cross walk signal to indicate when the light may change.

Yellow is red. Forward planning is a must!

Dont talk back to your instructor unless he/she ask you a question or you're not sure whats was wrong.

Keep in mind they are only teaching you to drive transit way which is being a defensive safe operator.

Good luck. After zerega training, the job becomes easier of course as long you continue what you have been thought to operate the bus.

Edited by DueceDrives

Day 4 done, need to work on mirrors and space, as well as perfecting the pre-trip. Day 5 Monday, in Manhattan.

As far as perfecting the pre-trip, have you looked at my handouts? Hopefully that will help...

Also, keep in mind that 75% of the students pass on Day 9, so if you don't pass on Day 7, it's not the end of the world...

The school buses vs mta buses have different reference points. Are you just trying to get your license ahead of time? Good luck in the near future

sent from my note4

yeah there's a difference. I know for a fact that the wheels are behind you on the. Is so you have to turn differently than on a school bus. But, yeah I'm trying to get my license before going in. I've already been called and turned it down. I want less hurdles when I start training.