B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Letter dated Jan 12 2017 it reads

In order to be considered for the next available class for the position of bus operator you must report to NYC department of citywide services unit 1 center street room 2150 ny ny and have you name restored to the cause the class is filled.

I spoke to Mrs. Chestnut twice waiting on the medical and was never called??????

Weird if i was you ill give them a call on monday first thing ..but it says to the cause the class is filled maybe ur interpreting that wrong bc although it sounds like they tryna say the class is filled maybe is not that bc is not clearly said and i doubt theyll send somethin saying that if u didnt even do ur medical before they mention a class u usually do ur medical... my advise will be give them a call first thing monday and check that out just in case ... did u ever removed urself from the list?

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just called and it stated I am on outstanding certification don't know what that means, also I never removed from list I was trying for the dec 26 2016 class

If it says ur in outstanding certification that means ur still on the list the machine tells u clearly U ARE ON THIS EXAM UR LIST NUMBER IS XXXX i think u probably got that letter as an error defenitly go check that out bc i was also gona start on the class for dec 26.. but i didnt make it in bc there were some people with lower list numbers than me that had medical hold and had taken care of it that same day so ms goodwins whos ms chestnut supervisor told me and another gentleman that this also happen to that by law she had to hired the other person first bc if not they can start a law suit but that we were defenitly in the next class which was gona be in march ...she even told us to keep callin and once we here theres another class if no one calls us to bring it to her attentjon.. outstanding certification means ur on the list in the number range which there currently workin on or about to work on...to my understanding thats what that means ...

I just called and it stated I am on outstanding certification don't know what that means, also I never removed from list I was trying for the dec 26 2016 class

Im list number 19xx and was gona get in that class dec 26 everyone goin in that class was in the high 18xx or low 19xx so if ur 9xx something happened that u havent heard from them still a friend of minds was 87x and he started about 4 months ago ..

Thanks

I was in ur exact situation. Go down to 1 center st and put ur name back on the list they will mail u another letter to start processing all over again. Just bring the letter u don't have to fill out anything else because they still has ur paperwork. U will need to take the drug test over but the medical last 90 days so it depends on when they will call u

Thanks

Ur welcome when you do call or find out why u got that letter defenitly let us know what they tell u just incase of anyone else on this forum gets that letter at somepoint .. we got to try and help each other out and good luck to u brother ...

i want to get cdl certified but there is two types of cdl licenses, can anyone tell me which cdl is needed to operate buses in the MTA..

Cdl class b with passenger endorsement

Yhello all, today I received a letter from MTA stating that I have to go down to DCAS to reinstate my name on list because all the classes are full, apparently they took my name off the list, list number is 9xx, I went thru drug screen, back in November , now question is are they going to be any more classes in March. This is puzzling, did anybody else received a similar letter????

I did not receive a similar letter, however I'm in a similar scenario...allow me to explain:

So as a result of taking B/O exam #2613, I attempted the 10-day training back in February of 2014 and failed. I was told that I can try again in February of 2019. Now I took B/O exam #4600 and my list # is in the 1600's. So I'm expecting them to initially pass over me, however on 1/1/17, or around there, I plan on mailing a letter to DCAS, asking them to restore my name to the list, and since their turnaround time, as I learned, is about a month to two months, I should hopefully be in good shape when the time comes.

...do you have a phone number for automatic options' for dcas thanks in advance, sparrow

(212) 669 1357. The automated options are available 24/7/365, to speak to a representative you have to call Monday - Friday in between 9AM & 5 PM.

i want to get cdl certified but there is two types of cdl licenses, can anyone tell me which cdl is needed to operate buses in the MTA..

Believe it or not, there are three [3] types of CDL licenses. For this position, you need a Class B CDL with a P (Passenger) endorsement and no other restrictions as far as air brakes or the amount of people you can transport. A B (corrective lenses) restriction is acceptable.

(See this document for a full explanation.) Now it would be advisable to get the S (School Bus) endorsement as well - by doing so, you'll be killing two birds at one time. Otherwise, you have to take the same road test twice for two different endorsements. I know this stinks, but that's life...

I hope that they swing back through the list again in March. I'll have my CDL license by then and I will be ready. Been parking the bus with my instructor and, I have been nailing it perfect just have to keep calling out my hazards and, i'll be fine. My instructor said I should pass based on what he has seen so far. I am taking my road test out in syosset Long lsland on feb 7th. 

Whatever you do on the road test SECURE THE BUS AND GET OUT THE SEAT AND CHECK OUTSIDE THE BUS REAR BEFORE YOU DO STRAIGHT BACKING AND PARALLEL PARKING

If you don't it's automatically failure. Also make sure you know your pretrip

sent from my note4

Edited by isaelperez81

Whatever you do on the road test SECURE THE BUS AND GET OUT THE SEAT AND CHECK OUTSIDE THE BUS REAR BEFORE YOU DO STRAIGHT BACKING AND PARALLEL PARKING

If you don't it's automatically failure. Also make sure you know your pretrip

sent from my note4

Oh yeah we worked on that yesterday and my instructor told me the same thing. I did both with no issues. 

I am currently an NYC taxi driver with a few points on my driving record.  I am very interested in changing to bus operator but I am concerned about the points.  Does anyone know the policy for points on record?  How many are allowed?  Any help would be great.  Thank you

I am currently an NYC taxi driver with a few points on my driving record. I am very interested in changing to bus operator but I am concerned about the points. Does anyone know the policy for points on record? How many are allowed? Any help would be great. Thank you

your allowed up to 4 points on your license anymore than that and you'll be told to come when your points are down they won't even let you continue with the hiring process. Even if you went to a driving school for the points back they pull your driving abstract.

Even if you went to a driving school for the points back they pull your driving abstract....

...which goes back for three [3] years. So, for example, if you got points in February of 2014, by the end of next month, they will be off your abstract. Also, if you're interested in obtaining your abstract, click here. As they say, it's better to be safe than to be sorry.

Edited by +Young+
Correction

Come to find out my name was taken of the list. So I had to email DCAS today so they can restore my name back to the list. Now I have to wait for DCAS to send me any confirmation in regards. This sucks...

same thing happen to me ,I received letter from MTA stating I was removed from list because all classes were full. I went to DCAS to get name back on list, they told me it was because i didnt show up for medical, i was never called for medical, plus my drug test expired and they would of had to do new drug test before medical, i reinstated at DCAS and the woman said to stay in touch with Mrs Chestnut. I think we were both trying for Dec 26 class....I didnt know they could just remove you from list, for 2 different reasons, class full or didnt go to medical,,,,I am going to call Mrs Chestnut