B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone else feel let down by this test? I spent sooo much time preparing, practicing headway & running time concepts.. memorizing addresses of POI's, bridges, landmarks, rules of the road.. etc. Countless hours, taking the prep class,studying the books.. and they didnt have a single question on any of that stuff.. Just situational, common sense scenarios that almost everyone could answer. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to have found the test easy but, it seemed too easy to effectively weed out the masses that didn't prepare for it.. For all my efforts, I really expected a better test of my working knowledge of the subject matter.. I guess I'm just venting.. I understand that NYCTA feared having the 87% fail rate of the previous exam again and not having a decent pool of passing candidates to make it thru the next 4 years. I'd expect they'll be calling only those who scored 100% or very close to it, any time soon. I'm sure they'll be thousands who did..

Hi.....I wasn't let down, but I know what you mean. I was shocked how easy the test was. It was more reading comprehension and using common sense more than anything. I took exam 2613, that was a challenging exam, having questions about parks, traffic and highway signs, landmarks, etc. This had nothing like that. I think they intentionally made this exam easier because 34,000 people took the 2613 and only 3600 made the list, many failed the exam and BOSS. 

So yes I know what you mean I was shocked how easy the exam was. I know I got at least a 95 on this exam. 

Hi.....I wasn't let down, but I know what you mean. I was shocked how easy the test was. It was more reading comprehension and using common sense more than anything. I took exam 2613, that was a challenging exam, having questions about parks, traffic and highway signs, landmarks, etc. This had nothing like that. I think they intentionally made this exam easier because 34,000 people took the 2613 and only 3600 made the list, many failed the exam and BOSS.

So yes I know what you mean I was shocked how easy the exam was. I know I got at least a 95 on this exam.

Yeah I also took the Prep class twice and was studying like I was about to take a college or HS regent exam. I even did a lot of bus map schudules to figure out the miles distance and timing. But its all good, still remember at the prep class they did mention "Anything is possible" what they might put on the exam. But best believe it, the next TA exam will be harder.And you just never know how harder the hiring process will be for 4600 since the exam was too easy. I see it as "Theres always an catch at the end of everything".

@ deuce drives youre right I also prepared for the that, I went to the pre exam class and on the test there were nothing that I study, I was not expecting it,what bothers me is that I study so hard my wife tested me on 180 questions and I had 1 wrong, that's HOW much I study and now this exam was easy and also surprise me when I saw the questions , but I leave IT to god , and time will tell

I think the best thing to do, for everyone who has no bus operating experience, is get a temporary school bus job until you get called. It will help build your school, so that when you get to (MTA), you understand the anatomy of a bus.

Double edged sword that is yeah you will get past the initial fear, lack of comfort of driving a large vehicle but you then can end up building bad habits and exposing your license and driving record needlessly to danger

Double edged sword that is yeah you will get past the initial fear, lack of comfort of driving a large vehicle but you then can end up building bad habits and exposing your license and driving record needlessly to danger

You build bad habits when you take your mind off off the big picture. The experience helps, just don't get arrogant. I still humble myself.

You build bad habits when you take your mind off off the big picture. The experience helps, just don't get arrogant. I still humble myself.

Arrogance doesnt lead to bad habits behind the wheel its due to comfort of being behind the wheel. Unless you've just started driving its kind of hard to believe that when in your personal vehicle your hands are always at 10 and 2 and your checking your mirror even on one way single lane streets every 3-5 seconds and pushing and pulling on all turns I know I dont those are all  bad habits by definition and you could do that and completely be unaware of it

Your idea isnt bad I'm just saying in my opinion just be weary of it you never know when the mta will get back to you

I think the best thing to do, for everyone who has no bus operating experience, is get a temporary school bus job until you get called. It will help build your school, so that when you get to (MTA), you understand the anatomy of a bus.

You are sooooooo right.

You are sooooooo right.

My dad is an bus operator for manhattan divsion, sometimes when im free i ride his bus and he would teach me a few things as he doing them like tge left and right turns. But Masterkham has a point. The more you behind the wheel the more confident you will fill controlling the bus.

You are sooooooo right.

My dad is an bus operator for manhattan divsion, sometimes when im free i ride his bus and he would teach me a few things as he doing them like the left and right turns. But Masterkham has a point. The more you behind the wheel the more confident you will fill controlling the bus.

It definitely helped me. I am a connoisseur, so I a little obsessive compulsive about the way I move the bus. When I am in a good mood and feel proud of the fact I know how to operate it, I will let the wheel slide when I make a turn and stuff like that, but most of the time, both of my hands are on that wheel and I like to make sure I am centered in my lanes. Edited by MasterKhem

Anyone who went this past Sunday to take the exam at Brooklyn Tech H.S. PM session, and would like to compare your answers you can IM me if you want to keep your answers confidential.

All the Answer will be sme letter from 1 - 60. It was 3- 4 different booklets per color of your admission , time you were schedule to attend and location. So if answer Number one was Z, Every question for number one Was Z for that specific question for number 1's.  PM if you dont understand what i mean by that

Those who trying to share what Answers they mark down, Whether what booklet you had on tht day, It will be the same Letter answer for that question through the different booklets that were handed per different admission letter color.

So in other word, Every School and Different Color Admission Letter had different test booklets. But The Questions were asked differently but the main Letter answer will be the same for all the test booklets

Example:

If Test Booklet One Question Five was E, All Question Five in the other test booklet will be E

All the Answer will be sme letter from 1 - 60. It was 3- 4 different booklets per color of your admission , time you were schedule to attend and location. So if answer Number one was Z, Every question for number one Was Z for that specific question for number 1's.  PM if you dont understand what i mean by that

I'm totally aware there were different exam booklets and also the bus maps were either Brooklyn or Queens. Yes there were color admission letters that people had were yellow, pink , and white on Sunday when I was there.

if this list turns out to be very long , the MTA  may extend it for longer than 4 years like they've done in the past . keep in mind alot of people don't make the TEAM  for WHATEVER  reason  drugs, alcohol , criminal history ,  driving record , training . i can go on and on  let's all stay positive and healthy  . GOOD LUCK TO ALL

You mean stay negative / clean

I am currently working for a large delivery company, driving those parcel van and I notice the can is as wide as the bus. Even the steering wheel is huge like the bus

Comparing answers is okay if there was a question or two you were unsure of and want to get a feel for what others chose (you would have to compare with quite a few people to get an accurate idea if your answer was wrong or right).

That aside, two people who scored 80 or 85 may have answered the same handful wrong.

Also, if someone scored a 100 and someone scored an 80, how will you know who's answers are the incorrect ones?

I heard 9 ppl failed the 10 day training off the 2613 exam. Getting a high score on the exam don't get u the job. Passing the 10 training, & the dmv road test (if u don't already have a class B license) do. The high test score only help u get called by mta quicker.

I heard 9 ppl failed the 10 day training off the 2613 exam. Getting a high score on the exam don't get u the job. Passing the 10 training, & the dmv road test (if u don't already have a class B license) do. The high test score only help u get called by mta quicker.

Damn. They are going to be forced to resign.