B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

There are no residency requirements for this job. You do however need to update your address with NYC/MTA Employment Office. I believe you need to contact DCAS at 212-669-1357 or call MTA HR at 347-643-8229/30/31. If I were you I would do it immediately as they will probably send pre-employment letters to 3200 to 3999 very soon.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well if you moved that far away you are in a pickle... The process takes time. First you will have to come in to do an initial pre-employment (paperwork,drug test, license review, etc), then you have to return to do your medical. Assuming you are medically approved then you have to go through the training and hopefully qualify. You don't really have this job until you qualify (pass the training). So for you to move back to NYC or wherever then go through this process is a risky idea because if you don't get the job officially then you are right back where you started with expense of NYC and no job. Perhaps you have a relative or a friend you can stay with for a about 2-3 weeks while you are doing the training to see if you actually get the job. So no I wouldn't remove yourself from the list now. But that is something only you can decide based on where you are now, finances and other factors.

Called DCAS, it says I'm on the list but I am "not qualified" I have a pending ticket, is that what it means? Please help thanks

Any pending ticket or court matter of any kind (including traffic and parking) is required to be resolved prior to performing a drug test.

So this morning a passenger fussing about me cause I didn't run a yellow light lol claiming she's late for work, so in other words I must run red lights for her to get to work even if it cost me to lose mines NOT HAPPENING lol

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Line training is getting better. How's everyone doing on 1-10 training? Hope all is well.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Do what I do when someone complains about you stopping at yellow lights.... drive slower and take extra long at bus stops. After a minute or two of driving slower and and a few long bus stops they will get the point and shut up lol.

And if they are complaining and standing in front of the white line when they are complaining, tell them to move behind the white line. If they refuse, then you simply refuse to drive. It's your bus, your job is to get to the end of the line safe, them getting to work on time is not your problem.

Depends on the superintendent and depot you are assigned to, could be 6 7 8 or 9am start, you only go to zerega on first day, then they tell you depot and time to report for next 7 days

Copy.

Thanks a bunch. Just tryna figure out this and life so I can maintain both a little easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. There are no dates on Social Security records anyway, just the years. Employers do not report employment dates. The information the social security administration has is only what is contained in the W2 you get once a year, which does not have monthly breakdown. Most of us only use the social security printout to help us remember who we worked for during our lives. Especially useful for us who have 30+ years of work history.

Well that saves me $120 lol school safety wanted it so I figured I'd ask. Sorry for all the questions.....someone on here said the process is about 2-3 weeks including training has that been standard for the majority of the people called? What was the longest amount of time from pre employment letter to the training start date? Just trying to give my friend a rough time frame that I'd be staying with them. Thanks guys!

Well that saves me $120 lol school safety wanted it so I figured I'd ask. Sorry for all the questions.....someone on here said the process is about 2-3 weeks including training has that been standard for the majority of the people called? What was the longest amount of time from pre employment letter to the training start date? Just trying to give my friend a rough time frame that I'd be staying with them. Thanks guys!

Don't apologize for asking questions, that is one of the purposes of this forum.... Your question about how long this process takes is nearly impossible to get a consistent answer to. The standard answer is 3-90 days from pre-employment day. That is what they tell you when you are done giving them your urine specimen (drug test). They usually take 1-3 days to get the results then they will call you back for the Medical. They typically will not call you back to do the Medical until they are confident they have a class to put you into, that way they can appoint you immediately after you pass medical exam. Now here is the tricky part....

Your drug test is only good for 30-days, meaning your class start date cannot be more than 30 calendar days from the date you did your drug test. Because of that rule, things tend to happen really fast or really slow. If everything goes well with your drug test and they are processing people smoothly BANG you will be asked to return to the medical within a week which means they have 3-weeks to get you into a class. However, if they take 2-weeks to come in for a medical exam then they only have 2-weeks left to get you into a class. This happened to me. It took them 2 and 1/2 weeks last year to call me back for medical exam. When I passed my medical they sent me to get sworn in and then the clerk realized that the class they were about to put me in started 1-day after my drug expired so they put on the breaks on my appointment and suddenly I was back in the lab drinking water and waiting to pee. Because I had just peed for the sugar test for the medical exam just 20-min prior, it took me nearly 3-hours to pee again. So back home I went again to wait for them to get the results and call me back in to be sworn in and appointed. Took about another week. So for me it was about a month. Fortunately the medical exam is good for 90-days so its really about the drug test.  A friend of mine was called in for pre-employment on a Thursday, medical on the following Wednesday, was appointed that same day and was shoved into the training class starting the very following Monday so for him it was 11-days. I have read similar stories on this forum as my friend and I and have also read stories of the full 90-days. There just is no one answer to your question. 

What I will say to you is perhaps you may want to plan on staying here (NYC) about 2-3 weeks for the hiring process and another 2-3 weeks for training especially if you don't already have a CDL Class B license because taking the state road test with the DMV adds a few more days to this process.  Also keep very good records and printed receipts for all your travel expenses and even some of your lodging and food cost as all of that can be deducted from your taxes because its related to job hunting and believe me you will make a decent buck with the MTA so the deductions will help you get you a nice tax refund next year. 

Thank you for your help! My friend is being very kind and allowing me to stay there as long as I need to, I'm originally from Staten Island but will be staying in the bx...is there a train or bus near zeraga ave? I'm excited to start this process lol

Thank you for your help! My friend is being very kind and allowing me to stay there as long as I need to, I'm originally from Staten Island but will be staying in the bx...is there a train or bus near zeraga ave? I'm excited to start this process lol

No Trains, only buses. Use Google Maps, it will tell you exactly how to get there from anywhere. Staten Island is closer for the employment process in Brooklyn. Zerega is just the first and last day of the training you wont be in Zerega much. I have only been there 3-times...

1st Day (Orientation Day) PAPERWORK PAPERWORK PAPERWORK

GI Day (General Information Day) Last day assuming you qualified (passed the training)

Graduation Day (About 2-months from 1st Day) You finally get your badge and a will be allowed to drive the bus alone.

Actually I was there a couple of other times during the 10-day training for simulators but went there with my classmates in the training bus.

I mention this because you said you will probably stay in the Bronx. You wont have any say what depot you will go to for the 7-day training. Could be any of the 5-boros so I would keep the SI option open too because a lot of people get sent to Brooklyn and Queens for the training. Not sure how often people are sent to SI. If you qualify, you may get to pick a depot of your choice but even then not a lot of choices either and whatever that depot turns out to be will be your depot for the rest of the year. General picks don't occur until the end of the year.

My pick would be a Staten Island Depot anyway if any are available. Thanks again and hope to see you on the road

On day 1, Orientation Day, fill out a transfer request to Staten Island. This way they know that you want to go there right away, there will be a very good chance you will get the transfer right after you qualify. They usually are in serious need for Staten Island operators. Don't ask me why a transfer, they will explain (sort of) to you at Zerega. This job/exam (4600) is for Bronx, Manhattan and Brooklyn. To work in Queens or Staten Island requires a division transfer. I never got an good explanation, something about the unions I think. Good Luck!

On day 1, Orientation Day, fill out a transfer request to Staten Island. This way they know that you want to go there right away, there will be a very good chance you will get the transfer right after you qualify. They usually are in serious need for Staten Island operators. Don't ask me why a transfer, they will explain (sort of) to you at Zerega. This job/exam (4600) is for Bronx, Manhattan and Brooklyn. To work in Queens or Staten Island requires a division transfer. I never got an good explanation, something about the unions I think. Good Luck!

Partially incorrect.

You may fill out the transfer for either Staten Island or Queens on orientation Day 0, usually a Monday. Day 1 is referred as your first day on the road, usually a Tuesday.

This exam TA 4600 is a civil service position where anyone coming in can work in TA and OA depots in any borough where there is availability. If you qualify, you'll pick, based on seniority on General Information Day, usually Day 12 (two days after Day 10). As a Staten Island probationary bus operator approaching 6 months on the job - I wouldn't say there is a serious need for operators here.