B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DAY 1 - My day today out of MJ Quill in Manhattan with Supt. Hamlin went well. I have to fix a few things, but let me tell you, he is PRETTY GOOD and knows his stuff. He wants us to focus on scanning 3-5 seconds and maintaining that 4 feet. I did a GREAT Job doing that and I also rode the white line with it in the center of my Steering wheel. I believe he saw I was doing that which allowed me to cover my right side. That was my part of my main focus today. I gotta work a little more on the Push and Pull Technique. Calling out the hazards came to me after awhile and the forward planning he showed us began to come in to practice as well to watch for the changing lights.

Got the (3) Mirrors Set-up really well and I got the ALSAPS DOWN PACKED and WORKING ON the Pre-Trip Inspection. I just need more time behind the wheel to practice more of the driving.

Overall it was a very Positive and Productive DAY 1 for me. I absorbed a lot from him as he pointed out EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING. He's very thorough and I need that to be as SAFE of  Bus Operator as possible. I took a lot of notes.

Well gotta get offline and finish Chapter 2 for tomorrow and go over PRE-TRIP at least 3 more times tonight before I sleep.

Everyone. keep up the GREAT WORK. See yall all on the road soon in passing  TOOT-TOOT (from my horn)

DAY 1 - My day today out of MJ Quill in Manhattan with Supt. Hamlin went well. I have to fix a few things, but let me tell you, he is PRETTY GOOD and knows his stuff. He wants us to focus on scanning 3-5 seconds and maintaining that 4 feet. I did a GREAT Job doing that and I also rode the white line with it in the center of my Steering wheel. I believe he saw I was doing that which allowed me to cover my right side. That was my part of my main focus today. I gotta work a little more on the Push and Pull Technique. Calling out the hazards came to me after awhile and the forward planning he showed us began to come in to practice as well to watch for the changing lights.

Got the (3) Mirrors Set-up really well and I got the ALSAPS DOWN PACKED and WORKING ON the Pre-Trip Inspection. I just need more time behind the wheel to practice more of the driving.

Overall it was a very Positive and Productive DAY 1 for me. I absorbed a lot from him as he pointed out EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING. He's very thorough and I need that to be as SAFE of  Bus Operator as possible. I took a lot of notes.

Well gotta get offline and finish Chapter 2 for tomorrow and go over PRE-TRIP at least 3 more times tonight before I sleep.

Everyone. keep up the GREAT WORK. See yall all on the road soon in passing  TOOT-TOOT (from my horn)

I think that's a great attitude! I can't wait for the next step which for is the receiving the email return for medical I finished filling out my cpd packet. I took my drug test on Monday March 27th. How long was it after you took the drug test did they email you back for the medical? Do you have your CDL? I have my permit, now I'm waiting for my school that go to...to schedule my road test.

Overall it was a very Positive and Productive DAY 1 for me. I absorbed a lot from him as he pointed out EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING. He's very thorough and I need that to be as SAFE of Bus Operator as possible. I took a lot of notes.

Everyone. keep up the GREAT WORK. See yall all on the road soon in passing TOOT-TOOT (from my horn)

Yes do your thing you will be fine. He's teaching right glad your getting the dam thg done. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

FutureBOtoTO, I Got my email for Medical the very next week. So be ready, it's coming. LOL. Yes I do have my CDL so I have to pass the Road Test with MTA not DMV.  Teegrid67 whats up? Thanks for the encouragement. Day 2 today, I believe were going to the Bronx to do the Pillars.

LETS GO. HAVE A SAFE AND BLESSED DAY EVERYONE.

Hey anybody get there picks for depot today, if so how many are coming to Ulmer Park Depot.

Hey anybody get there picks for depot today, if so how many are coming to Ulmer Park Depot.

No Ulmer Park, no Jackie Gleason, No Flatbush. Mostly Manhattan and the Bronx. I picked Michael J. Quill. I still have to pass the DMV road test. Just one shot at it.

No Ulmer Park, no Jackie Gleason, No Flatbush. Mostly Manhattan and the Bronx. I picked Michael J. Quill. I still have to pass the DMV road test. Just one shot at it.

Was there any slots for East New York Station?

Hello, question, after line training, [ed. but] before graduation, is there another road ,written test or line run test. Do we just go to graduation if line training went well???

The process is as follows:

Orientation (Day 0) ->10 Day Qualification -> RTS/Nova Training (Day 8, 9, 10 depending on day of qualification) -> Union Day (Day 11) -> General Information Day/Depot Pick Day (Day 12) -> Line/Equipment/Artic (if applicable) Training or DMV Road/Skills Test(s) (only for NYS CDL permit holders) -> Graduation 

After graduation you are on your own, except for Staten Island probationary-bus operators as they will have an additional 1-2 weeks (typically 2) of express bus line training, including an ATU Union Day. Once this is completed, they will be on their own. 

FYI, according to conversations with other bus operators, transfers to Staten Island take about 30 days and in some cases up to 90.

Was there any slots for East New York Station?

If slots are available or unavailable on a certain day this in no way bears ANY indication that a particular depot or division (Queens/Staten Island) will be available to pick for the following class.

For Staten Island, on General Information Day (typically Day 12), students will be informed that their transfer to Staten Island was granted (or not). Students will not have an opportunity to pick a specific Staten Island - division depot at Zerega but instead will pick with the union or simply be assigned based on specific division needs.

Edited by 161NewYork

161newyork, I am in second week line training, graduation is not for 2 more weeks, which will be 4 weeks line training then graduation, so no additional test after line training, we just then go to graduation??? Thanks in advance

Correct, no additional tests! :)

I can't wait to safely operate from point A to Point B and from Point B to Point A. Working for MTA is something for me to wake up and not feel "ugh I got to go to work now". Working for the MTA has been a dream since I was 6! My dream career for MTA is Train Operator but getting into the agency you want is a HUGE Success and Dream come true.

Here's some info I got today. If you fail your DMV road test first time, you have to do the MTA qualification again. First two days training, and have to qualify on the 3rd day. If you fail, you resign. IF you fail the road test twice, you're out.

I can't wait to safely operate from point A to Point B and from Point B to Point A. Working for MTA is something for me to wake up and not feel "ugh I got to go to work now". Working for the MTA has been a dream since I was 6! My dream career for MTA is Train Operator but getting into the agency you want is a HUGE Success and Dream come true.

6 years old lol sorry I had to laugh

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Here's some info I got today. If you fail your DMV road test first time, you have to do the MTA qualification again. First two days training, and have to qualify on the 3rd day. If you fail, you resign. IF you fail the road test twice, you're out.

This applies for people who qualified on days 6/7 and 8/9 not day 10 qualifiers.