B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of 76 in our 3/20 class, only  54 qualified. That's a 29% failure. Another 11% will be fired during probation for various reasons.Eight of us still have to pass the dmv road test. Two of them who qualified on day 7 failed the road test first time. Three of us have only one shot at it since we are day 10 qualifiers. Don't know how many of us will make it through.

What I'm saying here is, don't take this training lightly. It's very intense and you only get about 30 to 45 mins average driving time a day during the training. If you have never driven a bus before, that's not much. If you're really serous about getting this job, get your CDL before the training. Not only you'll have one less hurdle to jump, but you'll have some experience driving a bus.

On top of all that, you might get an instructor who might make you very nervous while on the seat. Don't get me wrong here. MTA instructors are the best. Everyone of them do a superb job. Just that some of them come really hard at you. Their ultimate goal is to not only to teach you to drive a bus, but to do it safely. I think they have the most difficult job in MTA. I have my utmost respect for them. MTA might not get everything done right, but their training program is top notch. I think the best in the world. So people, take the training very seriously. No matter if you are an experience heavy vehicle driver, this training will throw you off balance. You only have 7 to 10 days to grasp everything they throw at you. If you believe in a higher power, then this is the time to start praying. Even if you get the job, pray daily, one simple mistake can be fatal.

Go with a positive attitude. Be like a blotting paper. Absorb everything. The key is to LISTEN to your instructor. Do exactly what he or she says. I mean EXACTLY.

My very best wishes for all the  future candidates.

Very well said, dissa, I passed day 7, had permit, on road test what helped me was calling out all hazards ,lane changes and everything else I saw, even people standing on a corner, DMV person felt comfortable that I had control of bus, good luck to all

Very well said, dissa, I passed day 7, had permit, on road test what helped me was calling out all hazards ,lane changes and everything else I saw, even people standing on a corner, DMV person felt comfortable that I had control of bus, good luck to all

Thank you. I'll do the same for my road test. Hope I'll get an examiner who didn't get up from the wrong side of the bed that morning..lol..

Since there are at least 8,000 candidates on the 4600 list, the next exam will not be for a while. If I had to take an educated guess - I would say at least two to three years from now.

Application period for the next exam 7612 will be from May 5th to 23rd. Application period for the 4600 was in August 2013. Test was administered after 3 months in November 2013.

Wow. That's almost half of the list right there.

Yes just about, I'm still waiting for the email to come in for medical hopefully this week

Yes just about, I'm still waiting for the email to come in for medical hopefully this week

I think they have to put out a new test every 4 years if I'm not mistaken, they can always postpone it unless there a hiring freeze. For ex. Train Operator was postponed twice I believe.

After getting reinstated back onto the list how does the process work, if they're at let's say 31xx and ones scored 9xx do they wait for the list to end then restart idk just probably over thinking because I missed my appointment and really wanted this job. Yes I spoke with miss chestnut and I don't want to seem overbearing with the calls. Is there anything else that one can do to get that "call".

After getting reinstated back onto the list how does the process work, if they're at let's say 31xx and ones scored 9xx do they wait for the list to end then restart idk just probably over thinking because I missed my appointment and really wanted this job. Yes I spoke with miss chestnut and I don't want to seem overbearing with the calls. Is there anything else that one can do to get that "call".

You're in the same boat as me. We have to wait for DCAS to send our names back over to Ms. Chesnut. When i spoke to her she said that could be around May or June. Until then all we can do it wait and, stay out of trouble. 

You will get called with the next batch of pre-employment candidates. Ms. Chestnut is usually on the money with her estimates.

You're in the same boat as me. We have to wait for DCAS to send our names back over to Ms. Chesnut. When i spoke to her she said that could be around May or June. Until then all we can do it wait and, stay out of trouble.

Fingers crossed. And yep. Making sure to stay outta trouble da real.