B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After getting reinstated back onto the list how does the process work, if they're at let's say 31xx and ones scored 9xx do they wait for the list to end then restart idk just probably over thinking because I missed my appointment and really wanted this job. Yes I spoke with miss chestnut and I don't want to seem overbearing with the calls. Is there anything else that one can do to get that "call".

Speaking from experience, it could take a while. My list number was less than 150 and I was called back in March, did not accept the first call, reinstated back in the beginning of August and was called in October and appointed on 10/31/2016 (almost 6 months on the job!). 

Patience is key!! 

Does the leave of absence form need to be filled out in duplicate

I downloaded form from twu100 web site and printed it

The Leave of Absence form referenced from the TWU 100 local website would not appear to be the appropriate form if you went "sick" for 3-4 days during line training. Typically, a leave of absence would be appropriate for extended absence scenarios (see union for those guidelines).

You need a specific doctor's note that you can get from the crew dispatcher - do not make any marks, spill coffee or anything below the line - I have personally seen doctor's notes refused "at the window" that were not in conformance due to incomplete information.

All probationary bus operators should not go out sick for the first year, do NOT be LATE to work EVER! (if you take public transportation to work - make sure you swipe in). Drive safely!

Some of These instructors are wild style....

They make the 10 day training unbearable...

Out. Of. Control.

Tell me about it...looking back from my 2014 experience, what made it worse was that the Superintendent who I had from the first seven days, Superintendent Nelson Hernandez from the Flatbush Depot, who I personally witnessed not wear a seat belt and making a right turn on a red light in the Rockaways, was one of those instructors...however, shortly afterwards I wrote up a nasty letter to 2 Broadway complaining about him, and, as a result, I believe they took care of him on my behalf...just shows how you can "treat others the way you want to be treated"...

Edited by +Young+
Updated information...

Tell me about it...looking back from my 2014 experience, what made it worse was that the Superintendent who I had from the first seven days, who I personally witnessed not wear a seat belt and making a right turn on a red light in the Rockaways, was one of those instructors...however, shortly afterwards I wrote up a nasty letter to 2 Broadway complaining about him, and, as a result, he was forced to retire with 39 years compared to 40...just shows how you can "treat others the way you want to be treated"...

How do you know he was forced to retire? Upper management at transit has their little "Click".

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Some of These instructors are wild style....

They make the 10 day training unbearable...

Out. Of. Control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today I found out I had the toughest Supt. for the 7 day training. This came out from another Supt. But he trained us really well. Barked at you when a mistake was made. Sure,,,he made you nervous most of the time. Everyone has their own way of teaching. Just don't be intimidated. Remember, you're going to encounter much worst people while driving the bus. Just get a taste of what's coming.

After the first 7 days I had 6 more instructors until my road test. Their personalities did differ vastly. As I said, first one was like a drill sergeant, and another one was so sweet like a kindergarten teacher. I was already prepared for the worst going into my training. That helped me a lot.

I  said this in a previous post. I have nothing but lot of respect for these instructors. They have one of the toughest jobs in MTA. It's hard enough for us to learn to drive a 40 foot bus safely in 7-10 days, just imagine that the instructor has to train 4 people with different personalities and different driving experience to do the same in the said time. AND they have to repeat it over and over again. Trust me, they do a fine job of training us not just to operate that bus, but to do it safely.

I still remember how I lost my cool when training my wife and son. So, for me, it's surprising how some instructors keep calm when dealing with so many different type of students. There may have been one or two instructors in the past who have abused their authority, but currently, I don't think there's anyone who disrespect a student.

That's my personal opinion.

Edited by dissa2000

All 8 of us passed the DMV road test today..depot orientation tomorrow and line training starts day after...

Congrats!!!!

Today I found out I had the toughest Supt. for the 7 day training. This came out from another Supt. But he trained us really well. Barked at you when a mistake was made. Sure,,,he made you nervous most of the time. Everyone has their own way of teaching. Just don't be intimidated. Remember, you're going to encounter much worst people while driving the bus. Just get a taste of what's coming.

After the first 7 days I had 6 more instructors until my road test. Their personalities did differ vastly. As I said, first one was like a drill sergeant, and another one was so sweet like a kindergarten teacher. I was already prepared for the worst going into my training. That helped me a lot.

I said this in a previous post. I have nothing but lot of respect for these instructors. They have one of the toughest jobs in MTA. It's hard enough for us to learn to drive a 40 foot bus safely in 7-10 days, just imagine that the instructor has to train 4 people with different personalities and different driving experience to do the same in the said time. AND they have to repeat it over and over again. Trust me, they do a fine job of training us not just to operate that bus, but to do it safely.

I still remember how I lost my cool when training my wife and son. So, for me, it's surprising how some instructors keep calm when dealing with so many different type of students. There may have been one or two instructors in the past who have abused their authority, but currently, I don't think there's anyone who disrespect a student.

That's my personal opinion.

You had Supt Negron?

How do you know he was forced to retire? Upper management at transit has their little "Click".

That's the primary impression I got once Transit wrote back to me, plus somebody else had another Superintendent out of that "specific" depot, plus I knew from remembering his attitude that he did not want to go back to Dispatcher. In addition, if you do a search for his name on LinkedIn, it mentions that he did retire, however I don't know how accurate this is.

All 8 of us passed the DMV road test today..depot orientation tomorrow and line training starts day after...

Congrats! I hope nothing but the best comes your way!!

Edited by +Young+
Update...

What happened in the DMV course?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I don't know exactly what you're asking? Love to help if you can be more specific..

That's the primary impression I got once Transit wrote back to me, plus somebody else had another Superintendent out of that "specific" depot, plus I knew from remembering his attitude that he did not want to go back to Dispatcher. In addition, if you do a search for his name, and play around a little with the search engine, it mentions on one of those websites (don't know which one) that he retired.

Congrats! I hope nothing but the best comes your way!!

Thank you very much..Now the challenge is to finish probation clean..

Hey Everyone. Got GOOD NEWS. I QUALIFIED TODAY ON DAY 9. We had Superintendent Evans. I heard her in my dreams last night saying "SCAN YOUR MIRRORS", "EXECUTE", "PUSH AND PULL", "NOW DRIVE THE BUS".

She is ROUGH, but I GREATLY APPRECIATE HER. She really pushed me to the LIMIT and it showed in 1 DAY. Her Knowledge and Experience is PRICELESS. I learned a lot from her and from Supt. Hamlin. He gave me the foundation of the Safe Operation as a Bus Operator and she Reinforced it with her "EXECUTE" anmd "MANEUVER" style.

I am TRULY GRATEFUL TODAY. Line Training begins on Monday for me.

CONGRATS TO YOU ALL.

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, since I qualified today, and start Line Training on Monday at 8:30am, CAN I RESIGN FROM MY JOB NOW??

Please somebody RESPOND ASAP.

How are you line training after day 9 you still have to wait for day 10 people and gi day and picking a depot you line train after that

I am reporting on Monday as per what the Superintendent told us.

Superintendent told us to report for on Monday at 8:30AM. Maybe just learning the different buses, like the NOVA and RTS.

Not sure. She did mention Line Training.

Hey Everyone. Got GOOD NEWS. I QUALIFIED TODAY ON DAY 9. We had Superintendent Evans. I heard her in my dreams last night saying "SCAN YOUR MIRRORS", "EXECUTE", "PUSH AND PULL", "NOW DRIVE THE BUS".

She is ROUGH, but I GREATLY APPRECIATE HER. She really pushed me to the LIMIT and it showed in 1 DAY. Her Knowledge and Experience is PRICELESS. I learned a lot from her and from Supt. Hamlin. He gave me the foundation of the Safe Operation as a Bus Operator and she Reinforced it with her "EXECUTE" anmd "MANEUVER" style.

CONGRATS TO YOU ALL.

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, since I qualified today, and start Line Training on Monday at 8:30am, CAN I RESIGN FROM MY JOB NOW??

Congrats to you woot woot

CONGRATS TO YOU ALL.

Yes time to say goodbye to your old job n a big hello to NYC Transit

CONGRATS TO YOU ALL.

Congratulations. I just had Supt. Hamlin for Artic training today. What a nice guy.

You will not start line training at least till Thursday.

Monday at Zerega you'll train to operate other type of buses. RTS, Nova and Excellsior

Tuesday you'll go downtown Brooklyn to the Union office for orientation. Some of your classmates may have DMV road test that day.

Wednesday is General Information (GI) day at Zerega. This is a big day since you'll pick your depot after lunch. They will post the available depots on the white board. If possible, take a picture of it and post it here.

If you already have the CDL, then you'll report to the depot you picked on Thursday for line training. If you still have to take the road test, then you'll report to Zerega every day until your road test. You'll get a bit of training for the road test.

Good luck..!!