B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RE- pick due to high demand of workers in Brooklyn depots. L-Train shuttle service is on and popping..

You think it's bad now? Just brace yourself when they shut down the Myrtle Viaduct & the Canarsie Tunnel, at separate times, respectively...

When it was my pick, I was left with the LAST Grand Avenue Pick and the rest was all FreshPond. I told the Superintendents that I needed to be reimbursed for the cost of the car I just purchased, because I bought it for the commute to West Farms. The (2) Superintendents both laughed. LOL

I then gratefully picked Fresh Pond and I know there is a GOD. I wanted to complete my one year probation at West Farms. The majority of the drivers are really COOL and some of the Dispatchers were down to earth and helpful. West Farms is an AWESOME Depot, just to far away for me to travel at those times, early in the morning or late at night, when other transportation is limited. (that's why I purchased the car) Now I feel I don't need the car, because I am right here in Brooklyn. LMAO.

So if anyone is interested in an economical vehicle, please let me know as I am thinking about selling it. I'm gonna see if it's worth me keeping it and then make my decision in a month or two.

Don't forget to keep in contact with those people at West Farms, especially for References, if & when you need them in the future!

As far as the vehicle is concerned, have you thought about storing it off-the-road, such as a driveway or garage, to save $$ as far as the insurance? If you're thinking of selling it, there are several websites out there such as Autotrader, eBay, Cars.com, etc. to help you...PM me for more details...

Does anyone know exactly how the picks go for employment if you reinstate your name. If they are up to list #31xx but list 10xx reinstates, when would 10xx get called? And is there a hold on classes I'm getting all different answers nothing certain from mrs chestnut. 1 min it's they'll be calling in beginning of may to it may be another 3 months b4 another call. Patience is a virtue lol.

I'm having the same issue for myself, someone told me yes but then someone said I have to wait.

I have reinstated my name in February and haven't heard anything. I would assume they would get the updated list from DCAS this summer.

I was also concerned because like Frank, I'll have to reinstate when I'm medically fit which might be in August so I was wondering if I'd get called for the class that's supposed to be after the summer. But then like tdevon2012, I was wondering if I reinstate in July, would I be waiting months :blush: before I was called despite having an even higher list number of 12xx as he is 10xx and still hasn't been called since July.

As far as my friend's situation who had the accident, someone told him to disclose the accident when he reinstates :excl:  but wait until October, which was the date of his accident so that it would be a year after the accident and thus doesn't fall into the (1) ACCIDENT IN THE LAST 12 MONTHS FOR BUS OPERATOR CANDIDATES  category as was stated on the same form for NO DRIVING RESTRICTIONS. How sound is this advice? :huh:

Also, how do you go about being reinstated? Do you just call or do you have to go there at Livingston Street in person. If you just call,the number to reinstate is it (347) 643-8230 or 8231?!?

Edited by +Young+
Editing purposes...

I'm having the same issue for myself, someone told me yes but then someone said I have to wait.

I was also concerned because like Frank, I'll have to reinstate when I'm medically fit which might be in August so I was wondering if I'd get called for the class that's supposed to be after the summer. But then like tdevon2012, I was wondering if I reinstate in July, would I be waiting months :blush: before I was called despite having an even higher list number of 12xx as he is 10xx and still hasn't been called since July.

As far as my friend's situation who had the accident, someone told him to disclose the accident when he reinstates :excl: but wait until October, which was the date of his accident so that it would be a year after the accident and thus doesn't fall into the (1) ACCIDENT IN THE LAST 12 MONTHS FOR BUS OPERATOR CANDIDATES category as was stated on the same form for NO DRIVING RESTRICTIONS. How sound is this advice? :huh:

Also, how do you go about being reinstated? Do you just call or do you have to go there at Livingston Street in person. If you just call,the number to reinstate is it (347) 643-8230 or 8231?!?

the quickest way I reinstated myself was to email my name, list number, exam number, social security and reason why you missed your appointment to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov When I called the hotline that Sunday I was restored back to the list.

I knew nothing about emails, so I went I'm person to centre street. The funny thing was when explaining why I needed to be reinstated I was told to put "please" at the end........go fig. But I'm just curious to know how it works.

I knew nothing about emails, so I went I'm person to centre street. The funny thing was when explaining why I needed to be reinstated I was told to put "please" at the end........go fig. But I'm just curious to know how it works.

If you went in person why do you have to put please? You had to fill out a form? Where did you go? DCAS at One Centre Street in Manhattan?

As far as my friend's situation who had the accident, someone told him to disclose the accident when he reinstates :excl:  but wait until October, which was the date of his accident so that it would be a year after the accident and thus doesn't fall into the (1) ACCIDENT IN THE LAST 12 MONTHS FOR BUS OPERATOR CANDIDATES  category as was stated on the same form for NO DRIVING RESTRICTIONS. How sound is this advice? :huh:

I honestly think you're getting things mixed up...

The term "No Driving Restrictions" means that there are no restrictions on your license that would prevent you from driving an MTA bus, such as "G", "L", "N1", "N2", etc. A "B" restriction would be acceptable. See the second page of this DMV document for a complete list of the codes and restrictions.

As far as accidents/points/tickets are concerned, that's a different story. I know you're not allowed to have more than two [2] accidents within the past three years, regardless of who was at fault, no more than 4 points, regardless of how many defensive driving classes you took, all of your tickets have to be paid, nothing outstanding nor nothing pending, etc.

Got it? If not, feel free to post why, we're all here to help each other out.

I honestly think you're getting things mixed up...

The term "No Driving Restrictions" means that there are no restrictions on your license that would prevent you from driving an MTA bus, such as "G", "L", "N1", "N2", etc. A "B" restriction would be acceptable. See the second page of this DMV document for a complete list of the codes and restrictions.

As far as accidents/points/tickets are concerned, that's a different story. I know you're not allowed to have more than two [2] accidents within the past three years, regardless of who was at fault, no more than 4 points, regardless of how many defensive driving classes you took, all of your tickets have to be paid, nothing outstanding nor nothing pending, etc.

Got it? If not, feel free to post why, we're all here to help each other out.

It's three accidents in the past 3 years (if I knew how to upload images on here I'd upload the copy of the document, the document also states"OR (1) IN THE LAST 12 MONTHS FOR BUS OPERATOR CANDIDATES" I took a picture of it from my friend. Under the No Driving Restrictions state that (A3 and Eyeglasses) are stated as okay on the document as well.

Thanks for you advice though, greatly appreciated :D . I told him basically wait until it's been a year before he reinstates himself (basically in October). I just hope that 4600 last until October before this list is exhausted. As far as myself, I know they won't allow me to drive with my hand in a brace so I myself have not reinstated until I get my hand out of the brace (around August), hopefully they got a class and everything goes smoothly. I'm using this time to finish my B permit. 

I called today to find out and I must say, Human Resources/Personnel there has a nasty attitude. Before we even spoke, no greeting, What do you want? Who answers a business phone like that?

Question, not trying to get ahead of myself and while staying in the realm of this thread, what is driving a bus in the night time like? I imagine as a rookie, they give you the worst shift aka the nights, is that bad with drunk drivers and reduced visibility? What are the passengers like drunk and disruptful or just the regular overnight workers trying to get home/work?

I posted alot and haven't said thank you enough, even though I'm still going through the process, I have had alot of my concerns answered and addressed promptly and clearly, thank you to everyone for your assistance and advice. I can never state that enough.

I called today to find out and I must say, Human Resources/Personnel there has a nasty attitude. Before we even spoke, no greeting, What do you want? Who answers a business phone like that?

I feel the same way and I have an emphatic feeling for them dealing with all kinds of people but very much true they need to do better on that part.

Question, not trying to get ahead of myself and while staying in the realm of this thread, what is driving a bus in the night time like? I imagine as a rookie, they give you the worst shift aka the nights, is that bad with drunk drivers and reduced visibility? What are the passengers like drunk and disruptful or just the regular overnight workers trying to get home/work?

I posted alot and haven't said thank you enough, even though I'm still going through the process, I have had alot of my concerns answered and addressed promptly and clearly, thank you to everyone for your assistance and advice. I can never state that enough.

I

Question, not trying to get ahead of myself and while staying in the realm of this thread, what is driving a bus in the night time like? I imagine as a rookie, they give you the worst shift aka the nights, is that bad with drunk drivers and reduced visibility? What are the passengers like drunk and disruptful or just the regular overnight workers trying to get home/work?

I

It really boils down to your eyesight, boro familiarity, and nerves. IMHO they're aren't really any bad shifts on this job.

With this position it's different strokes for different folks. I know guys and gals with decades of seniority over me and they purposely pick late evenings and hawks (graveyard) either bcuz they like or due to family.

At night they're less supervisors, less traffic, less ppl (varies by lines). Texting and driving is the new distraction and you'll catch them on the road all day.

Passengers vary. Also depending on how u feel when operating decides things as well. I know ppl who lived in specific neighborhood/boros for years grew up on the lines they're driving and their first time alone @ night blew past turns or drew a blank when asked for directions. Then there is the fact you might not even get the boro you want so your taught a line early in the morning into the day possibly in a unfamiliar boro/hood then in a few weeks are now driving it alone in the dark. That left turn from A street to B street looks a whole lot different with less lights lol.

As you see their are many variables. Take your time and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronboundNJT couldn't say it any better. I agree. Once you get use to the route I'm sure it's just like riding a bike. In my experience Its all about safety(I drive a company vechile 5 days a week from 4x12) I see it all but hey you want to cut me off so be it. I give the(people in a hurry to get no where or to that next red light) the room. Being aware of your surrounings(im always looking left to right rearview mirror looking ahead watching for that opening juat in case) observation and safety is key in my opinion always being 2 steps ahead. I have tough skin so my customer service skills are very good I like people and at the same time don't let the little things get to me. In one ear out the other. In a sense as a B/O C/R T/O whatever job you have to deal with public you get paid to deal with those unsatisfied people because they aren't happy even if it's done right. We are the easiest people to blame even if it isn't our fault.

Thanks for you advice though, greatly appreciated :D . I told him basically wait until it's been a year before he reinstates himself (basically in October). I just hope that 4600 last until October before this list is exhausted. As far as myself, I know they won't allow me to drive with my hand in a brace so I myself have not reinstated until I get my hand out of the brace (around August), hopefully they got a class and everything goes smoothly. I'm using this time to finish my B permit. 

According to DCAS, the list expires on January 6th, 2020 so you don't have to worry about that. As far as the nasty attitude that Human Resources has, just deal with it. They deal with a lot of people on a regular basis, and personally, I don't think they work too hard either.

As far as the advice in this topic/post and on the overall website: You're most welcome. Hopefully you'll have better luck once you heal up 100% from your injury.

~Young

Edited by +Young+

Good evening everyone,

I was wondering if someone can help me out. So i decided to call DCAS and check on what list number they are on and it looks like they are on list number 3095.

My issue that I am having and it's making me worried is that it seems like they removed my name from the list. My list number is 30xx the list number has passed me. I never received any sort of mail or call from the MTA or DCAS.

I'm going to reinstate my name  because this is something I really been waiting for and hearing the news that my name was removed from the list really hurt me because I really been waiting patiently for this.  

Can someone give me some advise on what I should be looking out for; letter (does it say MTA on it or is it a plain package.), email, phone call and if it is a phone call any idea what number it might be coming from 212#?. 

Is there someone I can call or email about this or should I just send in the letter?

I did move but back in January but  I emailed and had my address changed and I did get a response back saying that my address was updated. 

Also when I reinstate, how long does it usually take to get your name back on your list, and if the name does go back on the list do I got to the back of the list?

Sorry for the questions, just was really concerned.

Thank you so much for your time and any advise you can provide. 

Dom

The first time they reach out to you it will be in the form of a letter. It'll be in a regular white envelope with the (MTA) logo on it from Livingston Street. If I was you, I would try calling the HR office @ 347-643-8229, 8230, 8231 or 8232 and finding out what's going on.

Also, I called the DCAS automated system last week (May 8th) and they were up to the 1600's and now it seems that they jumped to the 3000's. Therefore, I would give them some time to mail you the letter. It doesn't hurt to call them directly.

As far as reinstating, the e-mail address has been provided in this forum/topic, however once you send them the e-mail, it can take up to two months. I know where you're coming from, however you just need some patience, that's all.

~Young

The first time they reach out to you it will be in the form of a letter. It'll be in a regular white envelope with the (MTA) logo on it from Livingston Street. If I was you, I would try calling the HR office @ 347-643-8229, 8230, 8231 or 8232 and finding out what's going on.

Also, I called the DCAS automated system last week (May 8th) and they were up to the 1600's and now it seems that they jumped to the 3000's. Therefore, I would give them some time to mail you the letter. It doesn't hurt to call them directly.

As far as reinstating, the e-mail address has been provided in this forum/topic, however once you send them the e-mail, it can take up to two months. I know where you're coming from, however you just need some patience, that's all.

~Young

It's funny because I was just freaking out to my girlfriend about this.. She asked me if I might of threw out the envelope. I think that the envelope would have the MTA Logo on it and I don't think I would of ever thrown anything out like that!

I'm going to call them tomorrow. I also sent the an email to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov explaining what happened and to see if they could reinstate my # if it really does have to be reinstated.

I'm going too look out for the letter this week, maybe I will end up getting it. I'm also going to take your advice and call that number tomorrow and see what they have to say. I have waited this long.. what's another 2 more months.  It's just annoying me that I waited this long and I got taken off the list without even being sent a letter (unless it's on it's way still..)

Thanks for getting back to me so soon about this. I was giving myself a heart attack at 11:00pm at night lol 

I was on an outstanding certification and now when I call I'm not on an outstanding certification(why did happen if I went to pee employment 2 months ago?). The last certified eligible is 392x and the last appointed was 309x. Ms. Chestnut replied when more positions open up and they get to my list number that's when they will contact me. I just a tad bit lost If going from outstanding to not outstanding is a good as from what so people the next class won't be till after the summer. Am I still counting down my 90 days or is that on pause because im on not outstanding. Also does that mean that list #392x was individual to go to pre-employment. Thanks for all the help. I know patiences is a virtue and I'm fine with that I'm just trying to get a clear understanding of this. Thank you again.

Thanks for getting back to me so soon about this. I was giving myself a heart attack at 11:00pm at night lol 

Thank you again.

You're most welcome. I was also on outstanding certification, now I'm not, however the reason why is because, since I failed the 10-day training session in February of 2014, I still have to wait another 1 year & 10 months before I can try again (February 2019).

Good luck!!

~Young

Edited by +Young+

How far in advance do they send you the letter with the pre employment date? A few days? A few weeks?

About one week in advance. What's nice though is that if you can't make it, especially for the first drug test, you can always call them up and they will work with you on selecting an alternate date.

About one week in advance. What's nice though is that if you can't make it, especially for the first drug test, you can always call them up and they will work with you on selecting an alternate.

How do you change your address. I sent my address change back in January to examsunit@nyct.gov. but when I emailed find out what's going on they told me that they sent my pre employment letter to a wrong address. Thats why I was removed from the list and had to be reinstated. Is there an easier way besides faxing or writing a letter? I kind of want to get this done asap so either an email would be great. S

Hey everyone I haven't posted in awhile I was kind of upset but I'm over it I got called to come in for bus operator for 4600 back in November 2016 I was all ready to go and when I got there after hours of waiting I was told my license is perfect I have my cdl, no points, no accidents, but one thing is preventing you from working with us now and that's you had a suspension from yonkers in oct, 2014 that lasted a week and even though your license is good now we have to wait until 3 years after that suspension which is oct 2017, so I'm patiently waiting guys, I also took the train operator exam last week so we'll see