B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

You don't have to disclose anything that you don't want them to know about. If you answer yes to anything during their questionaire, the MAC doctor will inquire and more than likely place you on medical hold. (and subsequently 6 month follow ups)

You don't have to give them your DOT card, they don't ask about it.

Exactly.... You never disclose any medical condition with MAC. Now I hear they're checking for sleep apnea. Smh

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am at Ulmer Park Depot. Yes, on the sleep apnea, I believe they are in process of working on a plan for sleep apnea testing. I had to go to MAC to clear after pneumonia 2 weeks ago and had to do a short questionnaire on sleep apnea, just yes and no answers, that was the extent of the sleep apnea testing for right now.

The best advice I was ever given is to let the MTA find a problem with you. I friend of mine went down there and told his whole situation for no reason and was placed on hold for something it took him to clear for a w while. Best advice is don't say anything and pass whatever it is that they need you to do. When I did my medical for physical for conductor my heart rate was 99. Doctor put me on hold even though I told him I was nervous I still had to have it cleared with my cardiologist. I went got it cleared but it was too late for me to join a class. I was removed from the list and, had to restore myself. Question, when I get called again would they have on file that I cleared my heart rate if it becomes a problem again.

Just a quick update. After reinstating my name bout 2 months ago list #11xx I just received my pre employment letter Friday to show up this tues. yes!! I guess they ain't playing. Patience is a virtue guys. Oh. And never stop calling.

First off congrats tdevon and Frank! I also just recieved my pre-emploment package. I'm excited ans nervous to finally get the ball rolling with the first steps! I have to go down on Monday the 23rd also. So i have a few questions.

1. How long does pre-emploment take before medical and starting class if everything goes right? Month, weeks, days?

2. How picky are they with the years of your jobs ? They're asking from all the way back to highschool. I rememeber all of my jobs, but the month i started might be off...

3. They are also asking for "pending tickets" i am guessing thats all tickets that are not paid correct? I got one last year for speeding and i just ended up paying it.

Sorry for all the questions. Should be a fun weekend filling out this application.

From what i understand after talking to two Zerega supervisors last Wednesday. there will be classes every two weeks. approximate 80 students per class. last class was may 15. next class should start May 29. which is Memorial day. dont know if that will be start day because of holiday. from what they said classes will be every 2 weeks thru the summer. TA/OA or mix of both. 

Pre Employment Day - all day at Livinston st, they check all paper work, license and tickets. if all well then drug test done same day.

Filling out paper work - regarding  jobs , fill out to best of knowledge for months you worked there. all jobs back to high school

if you need addition work history papers to fill out, just photocopy additional page at staples. do not remove

staple from pre employment package and add these extra pages. just make sure the month years are in date order.

from last job to high school.

As for the pre employment for those going next week may 22-26. you should expect medical within 2-3 weeks, also if there is a class on the 29 may that is not full you have a chance of going to medical may25,26 . they need 3 days for drug test results. if all your paperwork and drug test is good you move forward, if not they move to the next of the list.

make sure you have either a NYS CDL or NYS CDL Permit. if you have out of state license you will need the CDL license from your state, you cannot have out of state CDL permit.

pending tickets -          if a ticket is paid it is no longer pending. if you have tickets they will need to be satisfied prior to moving to the next

step in the process. they will put you on hold until they are cleared up.

I went for pre employment on March 27th, I'm still waiting for the call for medical. Last number hired was 309x I'm 312x so hopefully soon. According to an email I sent mta I was told when they get more spots open that's when they will contact me as soon as they get to my number.

First off congrats tdevon and Frank! I also just recieved my pre-emploment package. I'm excited ans nervous to finally get the ball rolling with the first steps! I have to go down on Monday the 23rd also. So i have a few questions.

1. How long does pre-emploment take before medical and starting class if everything goes right? Month, weeks, days?

2. How picky are they with the years of your jobs ? They're asking from all the way back to highschool. I rememeber all of my jobs, but the month i started might be off...

3. They are also asking for "pending tickets" i am guessing thats all tickets that are not paid correct? I got one last year for speeding and i just ended up paying it.

Sorry for all the questions. Should be a fun weekend filling out this application.

How many points for your speeding ticket?

A3 and B (corrective glasses) on CDL, your fine with these restrictions. A3 means exempt from DOT medical, corrective lenses are not problem either, good luck to you as you go thru the next steps, keep posting updates , see you on the road soon, Sparrow, @Ulmer Park.

I went for pre employment on March 27th, I'm still waiting for the call for medical. Last number hired was 309x I'm 312x so hopefully soon. According to an email I sent mta I was told when they get more spots open that's when they will contact me as soon as they get to my number.

futureBOtoTO, your list number is 31xx, last classes were from the OA tests, not ta EXAM 4600, also, remember people with lower list numbers will reinstate themselves as the hiring process started, so they will take the reinstated lower list numbers first, then when finished they will work up the list . now that you did drug test which is only valid for 30 days, when they get back to your number you will have to do drug screen again, unless at pre employment they didnt do you drug screen. which means next call will be for going over paper work again and filling out another packet, they want you to fill it out exactly as your first one which they have on file, they will give it to you to copy from they drug screen. hope this helps

futureBOtoTO, your list number is 31xx, last classes were from the OA tests, not ta EXAM 4600, also, remember people with lower list numbers will reinstate themselves as the hiring process started, so they will take the reinstated lower list numbers first, then when finished they will work up the list . now that you did drug test which is only valid for 30 days, when they get back to your number you will have to do drug screen again, unless at pre employment they didnt do you drug screen. which means next call will be for going over paper work again and filling out another packet, they want you to fill it out exactly as your first one which they have on file, they will give it to you to copy from they drug screen. hope this helps

I'm fine with that. I also have my CPD completed and ready to go. I just letting the others know what I did as they Where asking since you can see to get called for medical can take longer then 2/3 weeks

One thing I am happy about is the fact that I don't have to fill out that bloody CPD packet. I am currently a city employee so I don't have to fill one but, I am going to sit down tomorrow and, take my time fill out what they send in the mail. 

I can't remember month for month previous employment, how serious is that, for yrs back to hs. And after medical is passed what can one expect, my brother just got through with sleep apneia and cleared. He was told next class is june 12.

I can't remember month for month previous employment, how serious is that, for yrs back to hs. And after medical is passed what can one expect, my brother just got through with sleep apneia and cleared. He was told next class is june 12.

Just put down what you remember - as long as your CPD Booklet and your Pre-employment package match, you're good to go.

After medical, you will proceed to final processing, in which the interviewer will look at both sets of your employment history to make sure they match, will also look over your other paperwork, will get sworn in, go for fingerprints, get your picture taken for your MetroCard ID, get a date for Zerega, along with what to wear, and that's it (unless I left something out).

Just wondering. What's a CPD packet? I am guessing more paperwork? Is that filled out during pre employment or they give you something to take home?

Btw i just wanted to thank everyone thats has answered all my questions. Its nice to know theres a support team here. Might sound stupid but i am kinda nervous about the whole thing.

Just wondering. What's a CPD packet? I am guessing more paperwork? Is that filled out during pre employment or they give you something to take home?

Btw i just wanted to thank everyone thats has answered all my questions. Its nice to know theres a support team here. Might sound stupid but i am kinda nervous about the whole thing.

As far as your first question is concerned, click here. Long story short: You have to fill this out for any city job. A friend of mine got hired by DOT, and he did it online and then they printed it out for him to sign at their office. Transit does it in the old-fashioned paper mode, they give this to you to take home when you go for the first drug test and to bring it back for final processing.

As far as answering all of your questions, you're welcome. Fortunately, some of us, like me, have been through the process, so we know what you're going through. Just keep in mind that "No question is a dumb question!"