B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just called DCAS and now I'm on currently on an outstanding certification . About 1 week ago I was not on an outstanding certification . First time I was on an outstanding certification I got my pre employment letter. I'm going to guess I may be getting a call for medical soon since I'm back on an outstanding certification.

I have to report for both Bus Operator and Conductor tomorrow at the same time. I called the employment center and was told I could do one tomorrow and the other one the next day.

Did u receive a pre employment letter today for the conductor?

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Hello everyone.

So first day of pre employment was really long. I got there around 6:45am thinking "if i am in line early, i will get out early.. well i was very wrong. So i waited online outside until about 7:10. We signed in and headed up stairs and waitined online again to get a ticket ( tickets do not go in order...) so once i got my ticket and a few sheets to fill out.. and than you wait.. and wait... and wait.. they did not call me until 230.. when i went up, they looked over my paperwork, asked me a few questions, gave me back my items and sent me in to take the drug test. I was in there waiting another 20 30 mintues to be seen. You fill out more paperwork, pee in a cup and head back to the desk and they told me that i will notified 3 - 90 days.

My advice is to bring something to read or do while you wait because you will be bored also make sure you go over your packet and all the dates line up because they will make you go sit down and fix it.

Now i wait for the medical. Hopefully that call or email won't take too long

Hello everyone.

So first day of pre employment was really long. I got there around 6:45am thinking "if i am in line early, i will get out early.. well i was very wrong. So i waited online outside until about 7:10. We signed in and headed up stairs and waitined online again to get a ticket ( tickets do not go in order...) so once i got my ticket and a few sheets to fill out.. and than you wait.. and wait... and wait.. they did not call me until 230.. when i went up, they looked over my paperwork, asked me a few questions, gave me back my items and sent me in to take the drug test. I was in there waiting another 20 30 mintues to be seen. You fill out more paperwork, pee in a cup and head back to the desk and they told me that i will notified 3 - 90 days.

My advice is to bring something to read or do while you wait because you will be bored also make sure you go over your packet and all the dates line up because they will make you go sit down and fix it.

Now i wait for the medical. Hopefully that call or email won't take too long

I was there just as long for pre employment. Well worth it of course. I went one March 27th, and currently still waiting to get called for medical.

Ok. So I have a concern. I've been told that mta doesn't really want those who are self employed or run a business. How do I get around this, if I'm in this situation. Don't ask don't tell...put unemployed and shoot for the stars...any advice.

I was there just as long for pre employment. Well worth it of course. I went one March 27th, and currently still waiting to get called for medical.

Completely worth it. Just annoying LOL. Wow you've been waiting since March, have you tried calling and seeing what's going on?

I agree 100%! Best way to pass the time.

I have my mv abstract and got a violation in 2014 2 pts. Do I have to list this being that it is cleared now.

You should, however they care the most about what happened within the past three years (from May 22nd, 2014 to today).

Ok. So I have a concern. I've been told that mta doesn't really want those who are self employed or run a business. How do I get around this, if I'm in this situation. Don't ask don't tell...put unemployed and shoot for the stars...any advice.

The MTA does not like "off the books" type of employment.

If you were indeed self-employed or owned a business, I would just put that down, whatever you put down on your taxes for income use that. The business does/did not have to be successful! They fail all the time..

If you were indeed "unemployed", put that down, if you were "not employed" you write that down, disclose how you supported yourself, as per the instructions I received when I went through the process. Essentially, they want an idea of how you supported yourself.

Examples that I have used:

January 2016 -  April 2016  NOT EMPLOYED - Supported self through savings / investment income.

January 2014 - May 2014 UNEMPLOYED - Received Unemployment Insurance from NYS

Examples that may work - 

If you live with a spouse, write "Not Employed - Received Support from Spouse".

If you live with parents write "Not Employed - Received Support from parents"

Whatever you do - be honest. They do investigate and will fire you on the spot for lies and misrepresentation!

I have my mv abstract and got a violation in 2014 2 pts. Do I have to list this being that it is cleared now.

I would disclose this to be on the safe side, do it by calendar year January 2014 - December 2014; let them decide if it is important. Two points is nothing to be worried about; it would be a concern if you have four or more.

Edited by 161NewYork

One less step to go I passed my Road Test today with a private auto school. Now just waiting for them to call me in for medical.

Congrats!

Does anyone know when they'll start calling list numbers in the 4xxxx's?

It depends on how fast they move through the list and the hiring needs, not to forget the people that are going to reinstate themselves, like me, with a list # in the 1600's.

If I had to take an educated guess: You might get called during the 4th Quarter of this calendar year (October to December). If you do not get called then, you might get called early in 2018. Again, it depends on the hiring needs....

Hey everyone,

So I am here just waiting patiently until they call me for medical; 3-90 days they told me... It's weird because i'm not sure why they would say 90 days because doesn't make sense the drug test expires in 30... so you would have to go back again for another drug test, ugh lol hopefully I get called before that.. lol

Anyway to my question. So there was a lot of talking from people while I was at 180 Livingston and they mentioned that if you next size is 17 inches or larger, they require a sleep apena test; is this true and if it is am I able to get the test before I get called in for medical?

Anyway to my question. So there was a lot of talking from people while I was at 180 Livingston and they mentioned that if you next size is 17 inches or larger, they require a sleep apena test; is this true and if it is am I able to get the test before I get called in for medical?

Definitely! As long as you get a note from a physician within 3 months, you should be good.

Does anyone know out of which depot they do the line training in Staten Island? I've been granted my request to transfer to SI starting next week.(only after 3 weeks on the job.. :) :) :)). I was told that I will have to train in one depot and transfer to the one I want, but nobody is still not sure how this process work. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.